Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

This season's not super great but I'm not gonna hold poo poo like this against the show. There was a blind item maybe a year or so ago that said that WarnerDisco was cutting the budget on shows midproduction, expecting them to limp forwards with a budget loss in the millions of dollars. Absolutely think that's what's happened here.

It's a classic case of a large company forcing their workers to make more with less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

The_Rob posted:

I’m gonna blame them. It says 2st. No set designer got a second look at this? I mean it’s possible they were green screen posters and they filled it in later. Though that seems more difficult than just finding some random posters to hang up.

They probably did see the issue and didn't have time to change -- this was, reportedly, a difficult shoot.

Or perhaps they just said they'd slap on some CGI in the edit to fix the work and that either got forgotten about or someone told them they didn't have the money anymore.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Mug of Glop posted:

We've got a reply from Issa López herself on this one. Sounds like some fun happened behind the scenes.

:negative:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Dmitri-9 posted:

The corpsicle is good. It is gruesome enough for an episode of Hannibal.

Pretty sure there's an episode of Pushing Daisies called "Corpsicle" as well. lmao

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Love Jodie Foster in this. That look of absolute joy when she finds all those men frozen together, followed by her half-arsedly playing politics and talking about sending the case away. Then her kid (who's also great) starts agreeing with her and she immediately backflips. And then everyone repeatedly fucks up all over the crime scene. Just a really great scene.

Some of this is route -- e.g. the scene where Foster rules lawyers Eccelston -- but Foster is so so good that I don't care.

Turpitude posted:

I like the show and I like that we got to see the frozen dicks of the dudes in the ice. Looking forward to more frozen dicks but NO TITTYS

Finally someone says what we're all thinking.

lol that we got sidebut from Doctor Who

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

DaveKap posted:

No and it's a loving shame. The director was Cary Fukunaga, he did season 1 and never returned. ]

With good reason and good riddance.

Pizzaman wrote a thinkly veiled version of the character into the second season. At the time I thought it was poor taste, like a lot of the rest of the season, but not so much anymore.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

I AM GRANDO posted:

Who? The film director? The pervert psychiatrist?

The pervert director.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

I AM GRANDO posted:

He’s a salty guy. I can’t totally blame him for being upset that hbo is turning the best thing he ever did into a marvelified shared universe for marketing reasons, but he should not post about it.

Why not?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

GABA ghoul posted:

- I remember almost nothing from S3. I'm 100% sure I saw it(the protagonist has dementia and there were some child murders). But that's pretty much it. Amazingly bland and forgettable.

What a waste of David Milch. I didn't detect much of him throughout the season at all.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

VagueRant posted:

Anyway, what's the reading on why Jodie Foster is SO MAD about her daughter having the indigenous chin stripes? Might have forgotten something obvious, but not sure what to take from it.

I've not seen the third episode (yet) so while it could just be pure racism, she could also have (the still somewhat racist) notion that the tattoos make her daughter more of a potential target for abuse and victimization. That seems consistent with how the character seems to think.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
What this show most reminds me of is Top Of The Lake.

Gonna be massively our of step with the thread here and say: that episode was the best so far and got genuinely spooky. Thought some of it was moving too, particularly the parallel birth / still birth ceremonies. And I've grown to like the characters, Freshman's little jealousy of Navarro, Danvers juet being the worst -- except the Mac And Cheese bit, which was hilarious and sweet and still something she approached with the bull in a china shop trajectory she always does. Navarro's good too. Not a revolutionary character but she's rarely actually wrong about things and that's easy to root for.

Also that unicorn story was gonna end with all the other mean unicorns falling into the ice and drowning wasn't it? Lmfao.

Hoping the show continues this trajectory.

pig labeled 3 posted:

How do you peel an orange with winter gloves on

Use a knife, like the peeled orange in the opening credits.

Bright Bart posted:

If it were Danvers, she would have offed Navarro by now

Jodie Foster isn't just going to leave potential witnesses behind

Did they confirm she did it though? I figured she was actually covering for Navarro.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Zmej posted:

I think what has made me given up on this show being good is the "I'm on tinder" and "I watch Netflix" scene

I'm a simple country TV watcher but that dialogue seemed so bad lol

I thought this was pretty good? It's the moment in the story where the two demonstrate an actual interest in each other's hidden interior lives, and even though they're jabbing away as usual (aggression's their self-defense mechanism) the questions are coming from a place of genuine interest rather than their typical desire to assert themselves and get their licks in e.g. Navarro's mean joke earlier about Danvers having such a great sexual appetite that she'd try to gently caress her stepson.

It's the moment when I really bought them as being a good team.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Monsieur Spade is pretty great, yeah.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Snowmanatee posted:

I explained in the post why it’s bad storytelling. I’ll spell it out some more. I said him arriving at the hospital with the cracked phone undercut the characters as they were presented to us in previous scenes. A) Danvers doesn’t understand technology, but was impressed he was able to unlock the other phone using Face ID. She thinks this phone will be as easy. B) But this is an unrealistic expectation as young millenial detective knows enough about technology to know that’s a ridiculous ask. Someone who knows about Android exploits would not have dialogue saying “this is impossible for me I’m not a hacker.”

So he shows up with the cracked phone anyway. Apparently he handed it off to someone else. Now this young bright detective who we’re led to believe knows what he doesn’t know, an admirable trait, turns out to be able to do anything the plot requires if Danvers simply tells him to do it with the confidence of a grandmother asking you why you don’t just make money by starting a cryptocurrency or something.

This guy has friends for everything apparently. He has a vet friend who comes in to help advance the plot for some reason. He has an offscreen hacker friend who can unlock 7 year old phones. Why do we need 3 more episodes, just call up his private detective friend to solve the case, right? If you can’t see why this is bad storytelling, I don’t know what to say man. It’s not because only you understand how to watch TV.

I don't mind this so much.

On the one hand, the episode is drawing parallels between Dancers and Navarro. They're isolated and cut off from the useful communication channels they should have access to -- Danvers is unable to utilise the police forensics systems because of widespread corruption and politicking and Navarro is dislocated from her community. They're both forced to rely on the men in her life in order to access those networks (Freshman's got cousins and online friends, Navarro's boots buddy has his "telegraph").

On the other, Danver's requests on her ex-step-son are explicitly unreasonable, and he keeps bending over backwards to make them work because they have awkward codependent, possibly Odeipal boundary issues. It's not actually impossible for him to unlock the phone, as we talk about here, but he overstates his case because he's trying and failing to carve out time for the people in his life he's meant to be committed to, like his wife and even his cousin (the latter of whom Danvers almost immediately hard sells on breaking the law). We've already seen how this costs Freshie over the course of the season, and this is just a further escalation of that. Maybe he should learn how to run faster, if just for his psychological welfare.

Compare, again, with Navarro, who's locked up tight and has to be worn down before she opens up even a crack.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jan 30, 2024

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

I AM GRANDO posted:

I don’t think Danvers and John Hawkes were ever married to one another. The oedipal thing with the young detective is just because he is very devoted to his mentor and everyone thinks they’re loving. Is there textual evidence I’m forgetting?

IMO yeah, it's mostly people reading into things, but when you're giving your hubby a handjob and he runs to pick up the phone instead you can forgive people for getting the wrong idea.

The show's had enough people suggest that something going on (the wife, Navarro, the dad) that the valence is definitely there.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Whale Vomit posted:

Reading into things? It's explicit when Hawkes Hank calls her Mrs. Robinson (though he's just being a dick; I don't think he's reading into anything real between those characters).

People *in the show* reading into things.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

CatstropheWaitress posted:

It's been borderline jarring to see, as I only really know the actor from Deadwood where he's playing the West's biggest sweetheart. Sal, what happened my dude

You've not seen Mary Marcy May Marlene yeah? He's a real POS in that

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

boo boo bear posted:

just like magnets got two poles, some assholes are fascinating and others are repulsive. this show is only giving us the latter.

wait wait wait wait wait

wait

magnets repel magnets that are alike

:tinfoil:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Robobot posted:

Has she said she had to compromise the story she wanted to tell?

No, but she's been sticking to her talking points so aggressively that I find it hard not to see some influence going on.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

I AM GRANDO posted:

Why does the police station have so many trophies? What are they for?

They're participation awards.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

TheBizzness posted:

The mining company had a handful of Teslas outside their office.

They're for emergency heating.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Music is so cheesy lmfao. The bit on the ice with the sister was so on the nose and the song over the fight scene was actively harmful to what the show was trying to go for.

Great bit of business where Eccelston goes for the water bottle in Danver's office, but gives it a surreptitious sniff to check it for alcohol.

Agreed with the goons above, for a non actor Kali Reis is really good in that goodbye scene with her sister at the hospital.

The relationship between Danvers, Navarro and Freshman is the core to the show for me, so if that's not working for people I can see why the season would fail entirely. Danvers is aggressive, and Navarro taking that and pushing back is what she respects about her, which ironically allows her to go easier on the woman e.g. offering her the Christmas Eve off. Freshman pushes back, but from Danver's perspective it's about the wrong things (whinging about his work life balance), which means he gets no slack.

This catfishing scam is gonna be the wedge that finally jams its way into his loyalty to her though IMO.

covidstomper58 posted:

It's about [..] weakening the barrier between Alaska and the Night Country creating the conditions that increase the likelihood a mid tier devil is going to wander around tossing transmogrification oranges around and loving up eyes and ears of people and polar bears.

It's not not this, and it's very cool how the opening HBO logo had the white noise effect bleed into the episode proper.

I like the relationship between the leads enough that I kind of wish this was a completely separate show about a small town fighting a losing battle against cosmic insanity and ancient ice creatures. I kind of wish it didn't have to stick to the True Detective bits. I mean that's literally Fortitude, it's got the same airport from Fortitude, but Fortitude was a banger.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Kawabata posted:

jodie foster's been looking bored as gently caress all season

it's like, she'll deliver the lines right and do an overall adequate job with what she's given but lol she doesn't look like she's into it at all

I reckon she's giving a great performance.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

koolkal posted:

The show's thesis is clearly that Alaska is a mental illness.

And the power outages are electroshock treatment icic

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Whale Vomit posted:

Another thought: What were the writers thinking when they had Danvers throw the toy out the door? Why is sentimentality for keepsakes the same as superstitious beliefs? And is the fact that it's a toy polar bear supposed to be meaningful?

IMO she did it because she was caught out. Danvers does secretly believe in ghosts and spirits, despite all her protestations otherwise, and a lot of this is wrapped up in her inability to process exactly what happened to Twist And Shout Guy. (I'm a bit more shakey on this, but Navarro says that the stuffed bear came from the crime scene, yeah?)

Danvers can't acknowledge that spirits exist, partly because she thinks that's a sign of weakness, but partly because she'd have to acknowledge that her closest brush with the supernatural happened on a day whose events she's otherwise seriously repressed.

Chucking away the bear is an ostentatious demonstration that she doesn't care, she never cared, and she's definitely not still being haunted by that day, gently caress you for thinking otherwise. What hallucinations? Double gently caress you.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Lampsacus posted:

Fortitude s1-s3

Do it do it do it.

The way everyone talks about it is actually a spoiler for the first season of the show, so maybe don't look up too much about it if you're planning on watching it. It's a wild, great show, the first season is a murder mystery that gets solved at the end, but it goes absolutely loving wild after that, and the pace speeds the gently caress up and it becomes a fast paced thriller with some really excellent (tv) action sequences.

It's very funny, got a great sense of humour about how weird the town is and how ill equipped the police force is to deal with even small problems, but it's also got a good sense of horror about things, and the humour becomes darker and darker as the situation escalates.

There are some great performances too.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Ithle01 posted:

Which I guess means it's like True Detective, but way less depressing and there's going to be a demon or something.

:allears:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
IMO Hawks has been super effective in the role. He constantly looks like he's sucking on a thistle, except these last two episodes where a suicidal vibe has crept in.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

counterfeitsaint posted:

Some other goon made a prediction a few days ago and the more I think about it, the more I think they're probably right; the cave is full of ancient native artifacts and cave paintings and poo poo. The mine knows if anyone finds out, it will become a protected site and shut down their operation. They killed Annie to cover it up. The deaths and bad water are just normal mine stuff.

It's gonna be a LOST situation where everything else is just a big shrug. You can assume its a ghost or native mysticism or something if you want I guess, but that's as many dots as the show is going to connect for you.

I think the show will go this way -- if only because the main influence it's ripping off also went that way -- but I remember L O S T being quite unambiguous about the existence of the supernatural.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Tender Bender posted:

*metal gear solid 3 theme*

I'm still in the shed, space heater!

Thank you for making this joke for me before I could get around to making a worse version.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Despera posted:

I mean it kinda is/was only it didnt come out every year. Though with these ratings maybe it will.

Yearly television schedule? From my HBO?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

DaveKap posted:

Credit where it's due, although True Detective's quality dropped so hard after season 1, I kept watching to season 4, whereas The Terror's quality dropped so hard, I couldn't watch past episode 2 of the second season.

The second season of True Detective at least had continuity with the first season, creatively. It was bad, but it's colourfully bad, like a slow motion freeway pileup or death by blue balls of the heart.

The second season of The Terror was AMC handing their show over to an untested showrunner who was notable (to me anyway) for being the consistently worst writer on True Blood. (Now co-showrunning Three Body Problem for Netflix!) -- so, essentially, very similar to what was happening with the show this season, except Alexander Woo never made Tigers Are Not Afraid.

Unfortunately, if you bowed out two episodes in then you sadly missed the batshittery around a mid-season cliffhanger that ends with the lead character trapped, broken and in immediate mortal peril -- followed up by a resolution that just skips several days ahead and never mentions what happened again.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I like to think Kraft upsales more aggressively than the local drug dealers do.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Despera posted:

I dont get the AI generated either. You can hate True Detectives quirks but its quirks are its own. What AI is going "ghost leads to the bodies and never comes up again?"

I mean, probably a lot of them, they're not known for their consistency.

This show aint AI tho.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Turpitude posted:

I like shows where there is one big case in a season and the detectives are driven to the brink trying to solve it. If anyone has any to recommend, please do. I just started watching a Quebecois one on Netflix called "Legacy, a Kate Mcdougall Investigation" which is an awful title but fits my criteria. Within the first 10 minutes of the first episode the female detective finds the body, is revealed to have been lovers with a former superior or partner, and starts drinking hard liquor at like 8 in the morning. extremely my poo poo

The Leads Are Cops:
Fortitude
Deadloch (dark comedy)
Top Of The Lake
Prime Suspect
Happy Valley (third season is poo poo)
Cracker (not one case per season, but just three, and it's otherwise a very good example of what you're talking about)
The Killing (if watching the US version, you can actually start with the third season since it's a soft reboot and a far better show; otherwise watch the Danish version)
Spiral

The Leads Aren't Cops:
Shining Girls
Black Bird
In The Dark (CW but quite good for what that means)
Sharp Objects
Search Party (dark comedy)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I always thought Broadchurch was twice chewed cud; a bunch of cliches of UK police procedurals (of which there are a truly staggering number) given a glow up by casting and a decent soundtrack. It's very mediocre.

Compare with Happy Valley, which occasionally trends this way, but is rendered incredibly watchable by Sarah Lancaster's insanely good performance as a human steamroller. She's just so loving tired of running people over, guys, stopping making her run people over.

Or even something like In The Dark, which crafts this fascinating character arc for its alcoholic, emotionally manipulative lead. When she becomes certain that the drug dealer behind her apartment has been murdered, she takes increasingly self-destructive plays in order to prove her case to the cops, her friends, literally any human being who'll listen, resulting in the complete collapse of all their worlds. There's nothing comparable in Broadchurch, it's all bitty, the characters are mostly static or they do all the typical cliched things.

Murder In Small Town X (to, uh, coin a phrase) just doesn't do it for me, I guess. Broadchurch is Twin Peaks if Twin Peaks didn't have the parody, the supernatural, the camp, the surrealist horror... it's kitchen sink drama, but so far from the greats in the genre that it might as well be patio furniture drama.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Feb 18, 2024

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Speaking of good season long mystery shows, the second season of Max's Tokyo Vice has been very good so far. But the entire show is basically one mystery so far, so it's not a good idea to jump in partway through. Still, I recommend it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Doltos posted:

More episodes and better hammering home of themes in the writing of the plot. I'm surprised they didn't have a more specific theme of Indigenous People and the colonizing of their lands. It felt that there was an obvious plot line in 'Bad crime happened, have to ask the tribes but uh oh they're pushing back on us trying to have jurisdiction in their lands'. Instead they gave us one scene of Danvers and Navarro getting chased off a reservation and replaced everything with the mining company poisoning the water. The plot line we got is too monolithic. Like I don't even know who the bad guy is supposed to be this season since it's just The Mining Company.

The plots with the daughter, the protests, Annie K, etc. about the long term effects of the appropriation of indigenous lands. It all feels fairly central to the narrative. I really don't understand the problem with there being no villain, because even though the entire system is sewn up ("Ennis killed Annie") but Dervla Kerwan and Christopher Eccelston are clearly the main figureheads here. Particularly Kerwan.

I dunno, maybe I'm misunderstanding the complaint here, but I find what you're saying really confusing.

Doltos posted:

Could have easily had Danvers doing something else pretty corrupt, dirty, or rogue during that time but all they gave was her being part of a drunk driving accident.

She's done plenty of off book things all season. She was perfectly willing to cover for her daughter when she thought she was a perpetrator of statutory rape, she fakes a reason to break into that guy's home (which Navarro does object to), she was secretly investigating the Annie K case by herself and didn't tell anyone, and in retrospect the whole deal with the files at Hank's house (saved from "the flood" that destroyed the old files) was sketchy -- and not just on Hank's part. Plus it was obvious that either Navarro or Danvers shot that dude since at least the third episode, even if it's still an open question as to who actually did the shooting.

Doltos posted:

That in turn could have explored Navarro doing things with good intentions, like figuring out a missing women's case, but slowly turning into Danvers. Instead both cops are pretty iffy and they both seem to be steered towards the general good ending rather than having their motivations or characters tested throughout the season.

Isn't that kind of Peter's role in the narrative? He goes from living with his wife and kid and having a half decent relationship with his dad, to being so sucked into Danver's vortex that he's now contemplating divorce while wiping his dad off Danver's linoleum.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

counterfeitsaint posted:

Goons once again choose performative internet outrage over basic media literacy. There was never a moment where Danvers thought her daughter was engaging in statutory rape. There was a brief period where we, as the audience, did not know how old her daughter was as a result didn't know how serious the situation might be. But Danvers always knew how old her daughter was and always knew they were both minors because it's her daughter and of course she knew how old her daughter was you idiot.

Danvers thought her 17 year old daughter made a sex tape with a 15 year old, ("you made a video of you screwing a 15 year old girl") but then after the car crash the daughter corrects Danvers and informs her that the girlfriend was 16. ("She's 16. Sheri's 16, not 15.")

Also WTF is this post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Ravenfood posted:

Yeah I'm not sure about Alaska's laws but those ages seem covered under Romeo and Juliet laws and that Danvers did not, in fact, think her daughter was committing statutory rape. This is backed up by her not actually feeling better when she finds out Cheri is 16!

Fair enough. I checked out the age of consent in Alaska before making that post (it's 16 IIRC) but didn't think about R+J -- which is understandable, given that as far as I can tell they're not a thing in my country so it's an out of context element.

Edit: Do the laws cover recordings as well as just sex? Or would the fact that it was recorded complicate things? I'm trying to work out why Danvers has so much trouble specifically spitting out the words "15 year old girl".

That said, I'm not an illiterate idiot or performing outrage (or even outraged lol) so I stand by counterfeitsaint's post being loving rude and dumb.

Doltos posted:

Would anything in the plot really change if they replaced the indigenous people with just outraged townspeople?

To go off this for a second, I think yeah -- in so much as Annie K is a young woman murdered under mysterious circumstances. But she's non white, so her death is easily covered up. If she was white they'd never hear the end of the podcasters.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Feb 19, 2024