Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Whale Vomit posted:

I'm pretty keen to keep watching.

I think the S1 easter eggs are fine, and for me at least don't make the world feel small. It's a conspiracy and we're seeing this story because it involves things where it would have interests. Pulp stories did this, and in the weird fiction circle peppering other people's works with Easter eggs was par for the course.

The director revealing on social media that Travis is Rust's dad is something that actually does make the world feel small. The only point I could imagine would be to have McConaughey return, which isn't at all interesting to me. I'll roll my eyes if that becomes a plot point more than the spiral.

McConaughey will 100% be in this now that they dropped that nugget. Or they dropped it to make us think that so we'll keep watching. Guess we'll just have to keep watching to find out.

Diabolical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

I AM GRANDO posted:

What really galls me about this, aside from someone having to compromise the story she wants to tell, is that from hbo’s point of view, they were right to make her put that poo poo in there because it has been driving that kind of superficial marvel franchise attention.

Hbo, hire me to do season five. It’s called True Detectives. I think we can get Taylor Kitsch back.

Has she said she had to compromise the story she wanted to tell?

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I don't think this started out as anything other than a True Detective show. It's very much onbrand for the series. Characters hallucinating has been a thing since the beginning, so the silly ghost stuff isn't anything new. And there's no way it's going to be actual ghosts, the killer is gonna be a blend of mental trauma and country bumpkin just like season 1. It's that season 1 feeling they've been trying to recapture (poorly) this entire season. If this started off as a different show then they were right to rename it since it's very obviously a season 1 rebrand attempt.

It's just not a very well written show, there's no need to make up excuses as to why.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

joepinetree posted:

We're not talking about speculation and what people think.

It's been confirmed by the showrunner for this season that it was pitched as a stand alone and whatever connections were added after the fact to fit what hbo wanted

https://ew.com/true-detective-night-country-silence-of-the-lambs-nods-chilling-new-season-8416223

I still think that this season is fine, but not great. But I also think that it would have been received very differently if it was thought of as "the show from the person who did the tigers are not afraid" as opposed to "true detective, season 4"

Oof, well I can't speak to the quality of the original piece she had presented but what we got isn't very good and it being a retread of season one just cold instead of hot hasn't really worked. Say what you will about season 1, but its characters were way more memorable than this season's characters. And that includes a really silly "green eared spaghetti monster" killer being revealed as a bit character given literally 10 seconds of screen time before the final episode. Maybe it'll turn completely around in the next two episodes and stick the landing.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I wouldn't mind any of those happening. They won't because those are pretty well thought out and interesting story beats, but any of them could work.

Also I enjoyed reading your write up.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Reboot/fusion of The Odd Couple/True Detective Season 1 is currently underway! There's a script that was originally meant as a Seth Rogan/Jeremy Piven buddy cop movie that can readily be turned into a 12 episode series!

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Tender Bender posted:

I hear you and don't really disagree on that point. I think this is a product of this conversation spinning off from my initially replying to a different poster (who was, originally, replying to someone other than me). Multiple arguments/discussion points getting swirled together.

As a thread, I think we should leave a rock with a swirl drawn on it to warn passerby posters away from falling into the disagreement.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

nwin posted:

I haven’t started watching this yet and I’m not sure if the season is finished quite yet, but is this season good? I’m not expecting season 1 levels of greatness, but better than 2 and 3?

Can I answer this after the finale? There's pacing issues at the very least, but if they nail the final episode I could forgive a lot. I'm starting to notice shows being edited for binge watching more and more, so it could be one of those situations. The music isn't as bad as the thread makes it out to be. I don't necessarily think it's fitting for the setting, but eh.:shrug:

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I'm confused about all the season 2 love.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I didn't really like this show.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Gonna be honest, there wasn't enough good in this season for me to even be curious about what the original script was. I think the show runner got a huge gimme with being able to claim a bunch of suits messed up the script, because the bones of the story seem pretty dire to me as well.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Cranappleberry posted:

if you take away that sexy irishman you must replace him with one (1) equally sexy irishman or else

Best I can do is two Cillian Murphys, and corporate's gonna go ballistic.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Yeah, I had high hopes for this season but I think I can finally just write off the series.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Asgerd posted:

Watching s2 for the first time right now and I have to say it… kind of sucks? I was halfway through the mid-season shootout when I realised I wasn’t feeling any tension or excitement because I just didn’t give a poo poo about the underlying mystery. I guess they’re after some bald guy who maybe knows something about whatever’s going on? Dunno, I’m starting to think goons lied and this season doesn’t Own Actually :shrug:

Yeah, it sucks. Colin Farrell’s character is sometimes interesting but overall the entire thing is forgettable at best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Forgot about the dumb names in that season.