Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
I'm migrating to this thread:

Bright Bart posted:

Just finished the premiere ten minutes ago. I'm not sure what I watched.

It definitely feels like a True Detective show. Well, not all of it actually; the beginning before the credits was like a mid-budget film in the vein of Invisible Man or something. They even had that shot where someone runs past the camera so fast and so close to it that you can't tell what they look like. The rest also deviates somewhat from the pattern. Supernatural elements being hinted at and even (ambiguously) present are something that TD is known for, mostly for the first season. But here we have every other character hallucinating or briefly stepping into another world (although hallucinations are not supernatural I don't think that's what they're meant to be.) Lights flickering on and off at times that punctuate the drama is a bold choice too. I'll see where this goes.

Final thoughts:
  • I can handle the detail that ties the case together being the missing eye. It'd be better than a throwaway like '16 not 15'.
  • The relationship between Hank and Jody Foster is something I hope develops, and is revealed to be more than just that she was his subordinate but was promoted ahead of him and he's not cool with this.
  • Kate was mentioned. I hope she's the badass interesting character of the season. Even though she's likely not the one responsible for the deaths because having the presumable mining boss be the baddie is something lesser show do.
  • The ending was the best part. Especially if those guys aren't from the station.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

The_Rob posted:

Yeah I’m glad people have been coming around on Season 2.

I didn't dislike Season 2 because people were saying it's bad. I didn't know they were. I disliked it because I thought it was meh and not just compared to the first season. I could watch it again if I somehow needed to for some obscure reason, but I doubt I'd see its brilliance a second time around.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

The_Rob posted:

I think it’s pretty worth going back to imo. I think it goes over a lot of the themes of the first season in a different way without completely rejecting the first season and I think Vaughn and Ferral are both really great in the show.

Not saying there weren't nice touches. Or that I'll never watch it again. But I don't feel the urge to do so and while I believe you when you say you see something really cool in all of it, and that it exists, I don't think I'll see it.

Ferrell was the man that season. Maybe a bit too gritty. But giving him a shy, nerdy son? One who's stepfather actually seems to love and care for him? That's unexpected in a sweet way. And sets up the best shot, which is Ferrell drinking cough syrup in his car before going out to pummel a bully's dad.

Vaughn just plays Idris Elba in The Wire in reverse.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

It's possible to explain why the first season is so fine. It's not beyond words. But it's a little bit difficult to do without resorting to vague claims like 'the acting' or 'the cinematography'. It is The sum of its parts but those parts aren't easy to recall and name.

And you can totally expect that a season of True Detective should live up to previous seasons, like Fargo should live up to its previous seasons even if they adapted a non-Fargo story and changed the team. And with SE01 and to some degree SE03 there's a lot to live up to. "Our shows been here a long, long time" basically.

So far I can't say it is lives up, but it feels like a TD show regardless of what it was originally conceived of being. Minus, like I said, that head scratching opening and the mid-budget horror movie elements re: lights flickering, everybody having trauma they flash back to, stopping into other worlds within the first episode.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jan 17, 2024

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Panzeh posted:

One of the things that season 1 did that was probably correct was make the supernatural stuff not real at the end

It was real enough to get a girls murdered and a community to cover it up/egg it on.

One of the theses Harrelson and McConaughey especially articulated but didn't come out and say was that the line between real life and imaginary monsters is blurry and thin, and that evil exists and it has a hold out there that can be thought of in supernatural terms regardless of if it has an existence apart from humans or not. Who cares if it's slenderman or a creepy janitor that's butchering girls in the forest? Who cares if it's the witch from Hansel & Gretel keeping children locked up v. a psychotic meth cook? If anything the latter is worse. I can see Martin and Rustin taking the witch away in handcuffs once they shot her out of the air and got over the WTF factor.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Someone tell me how she ends up in that meeting please.

TD has a slightly odd way of using female sexual activity for shock value. See also: Hart's daughter in SE01 and Navarro basically assaulting her FWB (I don't know how normal this is I'm not a sex haver) until it kind of makes it okay(?) since he smiles right after in the new season. I understand there's no way it's one dude's fixation since the writers and now even show runners are different, but I've noticed it.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jan 18, 2024

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

RhymesWithTendon posted:

It feels like another example of the "women can't rape men" trope that's been pervasive for decades

I feel like it could be trying to show a combination of She's all woman but she won't bend to no man's demands (even the completely reasonable one of slowling down when sex is painful, it seems) / She's a badass alpha chick who gets what she wants.

Without realizing or without caring that this is the sort of toxic masculinity that led to hundreds of millions of women getting date raped over hundreds of years.

(Please note I'm not saying Night Country is going to teach sorority girls to do hosed up stuff like this.)

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I wouldn't really say it was for no reason, it was the truck of the abuser boyfriend from the first scene you see navarro in. Like, she literally hears him talking about how he's gonna get rough with her again as she walks by them

I know this isn't what you're saying, and I might not be any more directly confrontational than she is especially since she's already on thin ice in a career she really cares about, but

Yeah. Sure. Messing up the hothead violent abuser's truck, ruining his day in a way he won't be able to see is in any way a consequence of being a POS, will totally make him nicer to his victim when he gets home. Solid plan.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Sickening posted:

Are you upset someone was being mean to an abuser?

If it leads to the abuse victim getting abused harder yeah I loving am.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I don't have much more to add re: sex but I read the whole post.

As for what you kind of touched on, the depiction of parenting is its own thing and I'm glad it goes beyond just 'detectives work long hours and get caught up in the job so they're bad parents'. I don't have children and likely never will. But boy do I know bad parenting.

Hart's situation got my attention because it's the younger daughter that's basically daddy's girl to some degree. It could be because she doesn't cause what Marty sees are problems. But I also think it's that he can understand more traditional self expression by girls. He can be proud of her for making the cheer team, even though he doesn't understand why eighth grade football would need cheerleaders (which is its own thing about Marty). Maggie has one scene where she gives 100% of her love to the girl who needs maybe 75% of it in the moment. I'm not saying she's doing that thing where parents ignore the non-"problem child", let alone playing favourites. But this girl was just present when her dad dug into her sister, her sister hit her, and her mom told her to basically STFU. That kind of memory can stick with you for decades. It's cool that they made Audrey kind of adjusted as a young adult. It'd be interesting if it was Maisie that was troubled, but that would be hard to do sensitively.

On that note, I like to imagine that Rustin was a terrific parent before his world came crashing down. If True Detective had a writer with double or triple the talent (and I'm not saying they're mediocre by any stretch), they could have shown Matthew as a well integrated member of society who's a good husband and father while still being fundamentally Rustin, a weirdo who can't conform but can read people and play sleight of hand with them like toys.

One of the few lines I remember from that season.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jan 18, 2024

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Lampsacus posted:

Yeah but i think the broader insinuation is that she is one of those zany art girls and expressive and is now free to florish, which meant her personality was always going to clash with traditionalist 'low in openess-to-experience' Marty. Now, if Rust was her father...

If I remember a dinner scene correctly, they did a bang-up job combining silly teen angst with valid points. Like she says she dresses like she does because that's who she is (debateable) but gives a solid argument in asking who told Marty he needs to understand how his daughter dresses or expresses herself. It was a bit more nuanced than the typical f*** off dad I hate you ughhh parent-child relationship you see in shows with a child who has issues.

I can't think of example of solid parenting in TD. Not that that's the place to look for it.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

This thread made me start rewatching SE01 and the while I do still like the heist, the scene that keeps on giving is the meth lab raid.

Marty and Rustin talking so calmly and believably about what happened while we see something completely different on screen.

The first (and imminently final) encounter with the "minor" baddy being the shot it was, feet apart.

Rustin not missing a beat, telling Marty to keep the kids inside not only because he's about to pop off but so that they won't know when the firing started in relation to what went down just prior. Also Rustin giving Marty all of the credit, and years later faking him being somewhat upset at 'Captain America'.

Years later Marty still having to lie, and while he obviously knows how to lie it must eat him up having to keep doing it.

Rustin's dismissive 'What is that? Nietsche? Shut the gently caress up.' contrasted with him adopting the catchphrase.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jan 19, 2024

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I like how the one season of the three completed ones that people were meh on is getting the most attention, in this thread for the new further one which only has one episode but tons to speculation about.

I'm not being sarcastic.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Also I somehow thought it was Vince that was in Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jan 19, 2024

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Danger posted:

I mean the man had pretty brutal throat cancer. I don’t even think he can speak any more.

Capital F me, sorry

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

th3t00t posted:

S4: Leaning a bit too far into the supernatural for my taste

Maybe if people keep saying this we'll get

SE04E03: Peter discovers that psychoactive chemicals in the water supply have led to mass hallucinations by the people of Ennis. He realizes that he has imagined Danvers, Navarro, and even his own father. The tainted water is coming from the mine, but after meeting mine boss Maggie he suspects that something more than cutting overhead is at play, and that she might not be working alone.

Honestly I haven't commented too much on the seemingly supernatural elements because I might be missing some important, cool Indigenous Alaskan cultural context. That said, I really hope they had an advisor who knew what they were talking about, and that the showrunners and writers didn't go with 'Do the Iñupiat believe in ancestral spirits? They probably do. And they probably dance to communicate.'

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

th3t00t posted:

Such as? I'm fishing for recommendations, not saying you're wrong.

I want recommendations but I don't think me & OP's tastes overlap much.

I re-watched Season One and it's still absolutely stellar, not just solid. I guess I'm invested in it being a good show but I'm also no kind of superfan or anything.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I have this silly, silly wish that Season One went full noir and ended with Hart getting taken out by Maserati cop. The POS realizes there might be a hitman coming after him as a result, but well you can't exactly turn off being a hothead POS even if it's to your own survival benefit.

It's left ambiguous whether Marty dies happy knowing he reconciled with everyone close to him, or if that was in the cards but not quite there yet and he goes with important things unaccomplished.

Then the main theme plays.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Jan 20, 2024

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I'll continue reserving the formation of an overall opinion.

But the callbacks don't even really work. For example, Travis being Rustin's dad. We just know Rustin is a southern boy through and through. He's probably never seen snow in his life.

I'd have maybe put in one spiral pattern, a touch different, on one body. And left it unclear if it's intentionally set down or some kind of scar after a scrape.

nooneofconsequence posted:

I laughed when the lady who sees force ghosts dismissed the other girl as mentally ill. I guess she does have proof hers are real now.

This is the most realistic part of the season so far. Not exactly on the same level but see also

Dad, collecting semi-automatic rifles because he's afraid the woke Soros mob will try to cancel him by lethal force any day now: You're seeing a what?! A therapist? What will the neighbours think when they learn I have a crazy son?

True Detective: Night Country: kpop adjacent

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

mark immune posted:

no, he grew up in alaska

I just rewatched the first season wtf

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

VagueRant posted:

Sorry, what specifically were these references to s1? I've clearly missed them.

Spiral pattersn, at least two being recognized as such and talked about as an ancient symbol whereas a third is in the background

Tuttle Industries

Rustin's dad

e: I love TD SE01 but even if this season is fine I wish the callbacks had been to SE02

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

The consolation prize of Tuttle International (other than Tuttle being the surname of two of the least devious people I know) is that it shows they've been operating this whole time. It's not the lame thing where the bad guys get taken out and come back for revenge a decade or more later.

Haven't they? Well no. I stand by my interpretation that they never got into trouble at the end of SE01. I don't know why all the summaries and reviews claimed that 'The Tuttles are not arrested but lose their high places in society'. How do you get that from 'The FBI and the Department of Justice strongly disclaim any allegations that US Senator Tuttle had any relation to the suspect'. In a more light-hearted show this could be meant to imply the wheels are rolling. Not here.

However, if they retcon it so that the Tuttles were behind everything in SE02 and SE03 (like latest Bond films being like 'You know X and Y? I was behind them. And I was the guy behind the guy behind Z too!) I'm tuning right out. It makes the world feel much smaller.

ghouldaddy07 posted:

To be fair Pizzaloto pretty much blacklisted himself when he tossed more talented directors for the third season in a row. From all accounts he is probably too much of a micromanager to be a showrunner in T.V.

That's on Wikipedia iirc. From an interview where someone asks him if he sees himself more as a collaborator than a boss given the talent under him, and he says something like the fewer cooks in the kitchen the better the dish and if I have a choice I always do things to follow my vision, input from others detracts from it.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

There was a dead child at the centre of the SE03 story but it wasn't a murder. Not sure why I spoiler-tagged that but I guess it is a reveal.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

It would have been interesting to see more 'civilians' easily bribed/duped by the cult, or just generally jaded by life so as to not care.

We have Marty asking the hobby shop owner in the nearby city why he special ordered primate mummification materials for an anonymous buyer in a town where child murders were taking place. The owner angrily says that the buyer paid a 500% tip to deliver and leave them out in the middle of nowhere, and to leave his store! Afterwards, he files a complaint with the department saying Hart was harassing him. And also that Marty broke his door (which was already broken) because you might as well try right?

Then they question a reporter from a small paper when they learn he was pressured to leave out the part about green paint. The reporter yells that government thugs like Hart and Cole should know about what not questioning orders means, but clearly wouldn't know having student loans to pay like he does feels like.

Finally, a woman who may have seen something tells them she didn't say anything because she hates cops ever since local racists burned down her store with her inside, leaving her with scars to this day, and the police did nothing. You, the audience, is on her side until Rustin says 'That girl was somebody's daughter' and the women just shrugs and says 'Not my daughter.'

We did get Masareti cop. But he got a cushy job and, well, a Maserati out of the deal. I'm talking much smaller stakes. Although *chef's kiss* for him being horrified at being forced to learn what he likely always suspected, but coming out of it angry at Hart and Cole rather than anyone else, because they forced him to watch the tape.

I did re-watch recently but right now it's slipping my mind. Who was it that died under suspicious circumstances the new detectives thought Rustin may have killed, but Cole later clarifies her burgled but did not kill?

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

ghouldaddy07 posted:

The Tuttle that shook Marty and Rust's hands that Rust later interviewed. He overdosed on his medication and the other cops suspected Rust may have done it.

Thanks!

Another thing that is slipping my mind: was there something like Hart and/or Marty goes to interview a Tuttle and everyone is nice and polite to each other, including said Tuttle who shows no sign of being inconvenienced and in fact is happy to help... but then they get back to the station and are told that the mayor/rector/whatever Tuttle says Hart/Marty were harassing him?

Or did I dream this up?

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

my bony fealty posted:

My main complaint is the opening song which is incredibly god loving awful and out of place. Wtf.

Billie Eilsh is actually a stellar singer but she writes pop songs for young people (and is a kid herself).

Go listen to Ocean Eyes right now. Tell me that voice (and her older brother's production) isn't something special.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I don't think they could make a villian creepier than Errol Childress but I'd like for them to try.

It's the rapid changes from country bumpkin to cult leader to mad philosopher. From someone who can't help himself to savant architect.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jan 27, 2024

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

The True Detective Season 5 theme song is just Baby Shark

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Speaking of incongruity, the theme for season 7 should be:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXE2WceZCsQ

I'm only half kidding. I don't have the song stuck in my head or anything. I think it might work depending on how dark or mysterious the season is.

They can fade out after I'm not going to remind you. Or just do the ending.

HootTheOwl posted:

It's enough to piss anyone off and become a space scavenger

Guest appearance by Rick Sanchez

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Most surprising part of the second episode for me was meeting Kate. When she's mentioned in the first I got the impression that she's some outwardly villianous mine exec. Buy it just seems there's a lot of bad blood there. They better make it pay off.

The scamming was too much. As was Hank bullying Danvers in front of the precinct. (She really takes that?) And if they set it up so that Peter finally stands up to his dad in the end I'm going to yell HACKS, YOU F*CKIN' HACKS at the sreen.

fullroundaction posted:

e: And Game of Thrones when it was good and I was excited to see this week's map.

Seasons 1 and 2 were outstanding. Especially the cut to Stannis as the quasi- main protagonist (lol) in the second after only hearing about him in the first. And Theon's time in Winterfell. The rest was okay until like midway through 5 or maybe 6 but the only real highlight was the trailer for SE04.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Final lines of the season in episode 5:

'It was me, Quavvik. I did the murders. I did all the murders. Those in California too.'

There are no lines in episode 6

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Danvers needs to learn more about Travis so she calls the only person who might be able to track down his son: Rustin's old partner Marty Hart.

[unseen on the other end of the phone in a voice that clearly isn't Woody Harrelsons's] Marty: Sorry Chief. Rusty's been dead. Passed out and choked on his own, you know. Too bad we never did reconcile after we failed to solve those Yellow King murders back when.

e: Danvers is supposed to be a hyper focused and hyper talented detective right? But I'm not seeing the program either show or tell this. There's just that she was promoted and that might have been for sex reasons. And maybe her questions to Peter but that's about it. She also gave up on the Abby case.

Or am I getting this wrong? Is she meant to be foolishly taking on something beyond her expetience and competence?

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Jan 28, 2024

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Peter is Danvers' father

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Lets not get into that again. 20% really like that season, 30% really dislike it, 50% found it a let down as a season of TD. With more people in this thread in particular being of the first sort.

More SE01 and SE03 talk. And more ridiculous theories about season 4. (So far the best part is that a guy gruesomely thaws out of a pile of frozen corpses and after learning that he can't be questioned just now, proceed to ignore this fact. Also, are cops even in Alaska so jaded that they joke about and take selfies with frozen corpses? I mean there is such a thing as a coping mechanism but come on.)

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jan 28, 2024

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Forget it Navarro, it's Night Country

my bony fealty posted:

This feels like a teen YA show with the music cuts every 2 minutes

I was wondering if the other seasons had as much music as this one. Maybe they did but it was just less obtrusive and/or less likely to be something you'd recognize. In SE01 it often sounds like an OST even when maybe some of it isn't original it just fits the shot very well.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

If it were Danvers, she would have offed Navarro by now

Jodie Foster isn't just going to leave potential witnesses behind

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jan 29, 2024

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Open Source Idiom posted:

Did they confirm she did it though? I figured she was actually covering for Navarro.

If she were, that'd be the most interesting part of their dynamic. That they're still at each others' throats.

I found that way cool with Marty and Rustin. You'd think having to keep a secret like that would mean they'd be on tiptoes around each other. But they do fall out. And still keep to the story. Because what's the alternative?

Hart: Rustin covered up a murder in cold blood. (A murder I comitted.) ?

Cole: Marty killed that man in cold blood. Ledoux was unarmed. Oh the three hundred rounds on the ground? Yeah, I sprayed the AK and then put Reggie's handprints on it. ?

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

They should just call it a day and re-enact the last three episodes of SE01 but with Jodie Foster and Kali Reis in Alaska. Or just any three episodes of season one. They don't even have to be consecutive. It'd still make more sense.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I posted about this in the chat thread, so if you already saw my recommendation there you might think I'm some crazed superfan. But I actually do think you should check out Monsieur Spade if you want a season of True Detective mixed with The Last of Us.

Dumb name, I concede. And it probably won't satisfy a hunger for a proper TD season. But the first episode does end with a group of nuns shot through the head and then arranged in a macabre prayer circle. There's also supernatural (or is it?) at play but the main character seems to suspect it's something more mundane. Oh and there's a brutal home invasion scene.

It has 75% on RT which seems low but actually yeah I figure 3/4 people would quite like it. The most recent episode may be the best one but the pilot should be enough to give you a feel.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jan 29, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Deadite posted:

Young Pope

This might a tually be my favourite television show, period.