Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 20 days!)

Just a good enough start to keep watching. This could get stupid fast, but it could also get cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

it's a metaphor for the coldness of humanity

also the darkness

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

it was a few too many spooky moments up front for sure. you didn't have time to dwell on anything and none of the strange occurences felt connected to the others, so it all felt a bit like writers throwing in a lot of threads they'll figure out later.

i thought the research station looked like a cool setting for a survival horror game though. when danvers arrives alone midway through the episode it felt like gameplay should be about to begin.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Hakkesshu posted:

Why on earth did the son cop have to skulk around secretly to take the documents from the dad cop even though the police chief had told him to go get the documents? They aren't his documents. They're both cops. Why was this a point of tension

it was weird but i think it's been made clear we're supposed to suspect/dislike his dad, so maybe more will be revealed on that

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

first thing i thought when he was looking at his phone and apparently not listening was he's texting his murder buddies

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

I remember watching the finale slightly drunk, so when Rust walked through into the overgrown area of 'Carcosa', I thought he actually had stepped into another world and I was loving buzzing with excitement.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

I AM GRANDO posted:

Travis' dance was indeed the best part. A lot depends on whether or how Travis is explained by the end, but I would like more Travis.

If this was Twin Peaks, it would've been the best part.

A lot of pre-existing expectations are playing into the overall response right now.

But man, we're not in the hands of David Lynch right now. We're in season 4 of a formerly respected and then disgraced and then kinda redeemed serial led by many different people. There's nothing to trust.

So in isolation, the corpse dance was cool I agree, but in context - we'll see.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Danger posted:

How was it disgraced lol?

uhh by being disparaged heavily for like 8 years due to a hilarious season 2 that still gets quoted as examples of funny overwriting

by anti-nuking what was pretty nuclear hype from s1 which was pretty much peak to is that show still on?

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

yeah everything about that sex scene with navarro just made her pretty much a villain in my eyes. i get what they're going for - she hates men as much as she imagines they hate her, and expresses that in pretty much every aspect of her life, but she's ended up behaving like one of the men she hates.

it would've been clearer if the guy she basically raped didn't laugh it all off as antics, including the post-rape domination game with the toothbrush, but i buy that your average kinda dumb dude would react like that on the surface.

between that and pouring booze into the gas tank for no apparent reason, i don't like this woman. she's a shithead. but i think the show is going to expect me to sympathise with her and it'll fall flat if they don't address these things.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jan 18, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

i haven't watched ep 2 yet cos i'm watching fargo s5 and it's a lot more fun than ep 1 was