Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LaserPrinter69
Sep 6, 2022

"I did a perfect print job, grown men were coming up to me and saying with tears in their eyes, 'Sir, it was a perfect print job.' What they're trying to do to your favorite printer (ME!) is a disgrace."
The first season generated so much goodwill that on the chance this is almost as good, I'll give it a watch. That said though I'm not feeling this first episode. They're trying way too hard to push the supernatural vibe, and we all know it won't be space aliens or ghosts, so it just feels like a waste when they could have focused on things that are actually scary in real life - the isolation, the cold, the paranoia, ... etc. Instead they're working their hardest to make me think a monster is prowling the small town.

My personal theory that I hope I'm wrong about because it's so stupid, but it fits what we've been shown - some kind of virus or biological agent trapped in the soil, causes hallucinations, that the mine is inadvertantly releasing. The quip about the water going bad, the scientists writing "we are all dead" on the whiteboard, "she's awake," ...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaserPrinter69
Sep 6, 2022

"I did a perfect print job, grown men were coming up to me and saying with tears in their eyes, 'Sir, it was a perfect print job.' What they're trying to do to your favorite printer (ME!) is a disgrace."

roomtone posted:

first thing i thought when he was looking at his phone and apparently not listening was he's texting his murder buddies

Odoyle posted:

Dead Son Travis gave me Killer BOB vibes.

I think we can put both of these theories to rest

LaserPrinter69
Sep 6, 2022

I appreciate that they're leaning hard into psychological horror and jump scares with ghosts instead of just dabbling. It's risky when a show starts to get weird but I digged the vibe of this episode.

That said though I'm gonna need to see some plotlines resolved real fast because it's feeling like the wheels are just spinning for the sake of cramming more hallucinations of dead people to build atmosphere. But like I get it. poo poo's spooky and cosmic. Let's move this plot forward.

LaserPrinter69 fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Feb 5, 2024

LaserPrinter69
Sep 6, 2022

Mordja posted:

Lucky thing Petey didn't freeze to death in that shed.

Did I miss something, because I interpreted as "hey kid, I hear you need a place to stay. Why don't I set you up in my tool shed. There's a plastic chair. You'll love it. Bring a blanket and a bucket to poo poo in because it's just a shed"