Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
I just rewatched Season 2 and it's a lot better than I remember. I think it was such a departure from Season 1, that it soured it for me at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
I don't think any of the symbols in this season (or maybe even other seasons) have a defined, reliable meaning. Like the spiral is completely detached from anything in the previous seasons (1&3) and it seems like sometimes it's just there for the audience to project their own meaning into. In the last episode, the orange peel wasn't even noticed by Danvers and the dragon skeleton wasn't meaningful. Maybe I missed something, but the scientists didn't seem interested in the dinosaur dragon, they were after some ancient ice microbes that would 'save humanity.' The polar bear only had some fleeting association to Danver's kid through the stuffed animal, nothing especially ominous. The neatly piled clothes were a mystery, for most of the season, but it seemed to have different meanings from the context for the scientists and Navarro's sister. I feel like there's other examples of this in S4, but I'm not thinking of them right now.

Also, somewhat unrelated, any of the ghost stuff seems easily attributable to drug use and/or psychological stress from experiencing constant night for prolonged periods of time.

Cithen fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Feb 21, 2024

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
Isn't everything about trauma though?

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/TrueDetective/status/1760741248397189619?t=0yXttsAZ3AMxAaUic5Ajew&s=19

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
I really hope it's True Detective Season 2, Part 2. Maybe Bezzerides and Velcoro's ghost can team up in Venezuela.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
^^^
Yes, I'm all in.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1760972452262252552?t=60ENmgE-cuDWdF8kMWL_LA&s=19

True Detective: Night Country was a documentary.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
Who are the actual True Detectives in the series?

My list:
Rust
Marty (but only after green ears discovery)
Bezzerides
Velcoro
Woodrugh
Hays
Peter Prior

I don't think I see Danvers or Navarro as True Detectives as they seemed so disinterested in basic stuff like clues. Danvers may have been a True Detective once, but lost it. Even though Navarro pushed to pursue the case, she also seemed constantly distracted.

Cithen fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Feb 24, 2024

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
maybe we have been the True Detectives the whole time

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
Season 2 is legitimately :krad:. It just suffers from being not Season 1.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
Poor man's Velcoro incoming:

https://twitter.com/TVPlusUpdates/status/1765030786858725757?t=V_QKRVLRfWDS1c4WdX8PRw&s=19

This *might* get me to try AppleTV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
It would have been totally cool and fine to leave the continuity between seasons to have been what it was over S1-S3. There are relatively strong themes of exploitation throughout; white, establishment, privileged men taking advantage of 'common' folks is central to all of the crimes presented. And there was some sort of throw away comment in season 3 about the season 1 case, but it had no bearing on the case itself, which felt unnecessary, but fine. Conceivably, all of the seasons take place in the same universe.

S4 was just so ham-fisted and over the top with the references. None of them were subtle and it was made to be a central thread of the case even though it was entirely pointless.

Cithen fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Apr 13, 2024