Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

oh god oh gently caress posted:

Good: setting

Bad: intro omg billie eilish cmon

Should have gotten a Yupik artist or at least someone from Alaska

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

Surprised at how negative the reaction I'm seeing online is (at least that's what Twitter thinks I want to see anyway). That was a really solid hour with a good hook to me.

I think it is fine but there are a lot of possibly tiresome cliches like Navarro's PTSD and hatred of violence against women. Many people have pointed out the shadowy figure crossing the foreground. A dismembered body part showing up where it shouldn't has been done to death.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Hakkesshu posted:

Why on earth did the son cop have to skulk around secretly to take the documents from the dad cop even though the police chief had told him to go get the documents? They aren't his documents. They're both cops. Why was this a point of tension

Places far from civilization are far from civilization. Normally insubordination would get you replaced or some bigger patrolmen would show up and take the records from him. In a mining town in Alaska there is no one to replace him and no backup.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

The corpsicle is good. It is gruesome enough for an episode of Hannibal.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

I love that Ennis is so remote even a bruiser cop like Navarro doesn't lock her doors.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Bright Bart posted:

e: Danvers is supposed to be a hyper focused and hyper talented detective right? But I'm not seeing the program either show or tell this. There's just that she was promoted and that might have been for sex reasons. And maybe her questions to Peter but that's about it. She also gave up on the Abby case.

Or am I getting this wrong? Is she meant to be foolishly taking on something beyond her expetience and competence?

In my mind Danvers is like Jim Hopper from Stranger Things. Everyone thinks he is a washed up small town shithead but he is actually paying attention and putting together the pieces of the case. Not hyper-competent just competent.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

I AM GRANDO posted:

Fiona Shaw makes less and less sense every time she shows up. She’s just Navarro’s eccentric mentor who says a bunch of weird stuff and has new rooms in her house in which give exposition each time Navarro stops by? I’m guessing when she was a scholar she learned all about the spiral stuff and relocated to Ennis to play some kind of role in whatever’s happening/ensure that she gave birth to the Eternal Champion Rust Cohle.

Reddit has a theory she’s a ghost, but she has a bunch of scenes alone in episode one and her radio experiences the same electric disturbance that multiple characters see in that episode, which a ghost radio wouldn’t do, probably.

We haven’t seen those electric disturbances since episode one, have we? Excepting what happens on Annie’s murder video, which is from six years before?

I came to Alaska because I like the quiet... too bad about all the ghosts dancing, causing traffic accidents, and snarling in your face.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Navarro is a lousy cop but she is great at staging murder scenes

Also Leah is pretty without that stupid hat

Dmitri-9 fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Feb 13, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Doltos posted:

We're gonna be hella pissed when True Detective: Sahara doesn't have an air conditioner in the shed

True Detective: Midnight Sun

Watch out for reverse vampires