Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Empty Sandwich posted:

the weirdest pieces I make are probably the face jugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone

Empty Sandwich posted:

I make dirt into rock to solve problems I made up

the weirdest pieces I make are probably the face jugs. they evolved out three different previous traditions and took root in the American southeast and now they're a fairly common folk art form.

I try to make sure mine will work as functional pieces even though they don't get used that way

Can you give a few examples of problems you've made up, and potentially the rock-bassd solutions? Those jugs are really cool.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
I collect radioactive stuff. I mean, seriously radioactive.

Some are just things like marbles made with uranium glass. Low level stuff, but other things are way worse.

This is the Revigator. It was produced from the 1910s to the early 30s

The label indicates this is a "Radium Jar". You are supposed to fill it with water every night, then drink the water throughout the following day.

As the name implies, it is radioactive. Seriously radioactive. The interior can me measured in millisieverts per hour, meaning you would not want to be inside it for very long. The Geiger counter tops out at over 100,000 counts per second.

Of course, the label is a lie. It is not lined with radium ore. There really is no Radium ore. Radium was popular, due to Marie Curie's fame. This jar contains uranium ore, which is one of the cheaper radioactive materials, and technically contains microscopic amounts of radium. But still, it's insanely radioactive.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
What actually happens if you drink the spicy water? I guess the answer is "dead" but, like, instantly dead or one week dead or one decade dead?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Tree Bucket posted:

What actually happens if you drink the spicy water? I guess the answer is "dead" but, like, instantly dead or one week dead or one decade dead?

Probably "dead from cancer" dead, if you kept drinking it for longer periods. I'll just quote wikipedia

quote:

Water stored overnight in a vintage Revigator was analyzed by ICP-MS and radiation detectors. Although the water contained high levels of radon, a Mount St. Mary's University study posited that the health risk from radiation was probably low relative to the other causes of mortality at the time. The water also contained levels of arsenic, lead (due to the fact that it had a lead spout), vanadium, and uranium that pose a health risk.

Even if the over-night storage activated the water a little, it's still basically just slowly poisoning your body with radioisotopes rather than making a Doctor Doom death water spigot.

Also, you know, heavy metal poisoning

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I used to collect hotel accommodation books. Remember those booklets you could get at brand-name hotels that would list the hotels in each state? I was a weird kid who liked to collect and read those. I still have a couple from the early '00s.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald has a new favorite as of 21:02 on Feb 17, 2024

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Genesplicer posted:

I collect radioactive stuff. I mean, seriously radioactive.

Some are just things like marbles made with uranium glass. Low level stuff, but other things are way worse.

I try to collect uranium glass with the proviso that I only buy pieces at flea markets and thrift stores that either no one knows is uranium glass or that isn't priced like uranium glass.

So far I've spent $7 on two pieces.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Maybe a dumb question: what are the health effects, if any, to having that stuff laying around your house? Just curious. Uranium glass is pretty interesting stuff.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Maybe a dumb question: what are the health effects, if any, to having that stuff laying around your house? Just curious. Uranium glass is pretty interesting stuff.

As far as I can tell as long as I don't lick it, eat off it or get cut with it, the alpha particles can't break the skin.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I accidentally became a mounted insect guy.

I found a female eastern hercules beetle upside down at work one day, and flipped her over and went on my way. Unfortunately, I found her dead the next day.

After passing by her a couple days in a row, being impressed by how cool she was, but not wanting to be a weird bug guy, I finally gave in and took her home and started researching how to pin beetles. I ended up making this:

I enjoyed the process, so my girlfriend ended up buying me a male Hercules beetle for Christmas. After rehydrating and pinning him:

Made a frame for him:

My girlfriend bought a Madagascan sunset moth for herself at the same time, intending to get in on the insect action, but decided she wasn't weird enough, and asked me to do something with it instead:

What bug corpse will I purchase next? Who's to know!

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

Holy poo poo, those dead bugs are gorgeous! What's the process of fixing them like?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Chernobyl Princess posted:

Holy poo poo, those dead bugs are gorgeous! What's the process of fixing them like?
Honestly pretty straightforward, just kind of delicate, finicky work. You leave them in a Tupperware container with some damp paper towels to rehydrate them for a few days to get them posable, and then put a big pin through them into a block of foam. Then you spread the legs out, using pins to keep them in place while they dry. The elytra (the hard covering over the wings) and the wings themselves unfold in a very satisfying, mechanical type of way.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

here's hoping. here's hoping.

Bear Enthusiast posted:

Can you give a few examples of problems you've made up, and potentially the rock-bassd solutions? Those jugs are really cool.

"I wonder if I can make an ocean-themed product line that people might enjoy"

Beachcomber posted:

I try to collect uranium glass with the proviso that I only buy pieces at flea markets and thrift stores that either no one knows is uranium glass or that isn't priced like uranium glass.

hell yes. I bought a bag of cullet uranium glass, which is to say, broken uranium glass, and it cost more than $7. the advantage is that it keeps its fluorescent properties after it goes through the kiln, and that's rad. I'll try and find some pics of that

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Most of my stuff is reasonably harmless, but the revigator is a bit of a different story. One of the products of the radioactive decay is radon gas. That's an issue, as you can inhale it, and it can decay in your lungs. I will sometimes clear it out by taking it outside, opening the lid and holding a small fan over the opening for a minute or so.

That way, I can share the radon with everybody!

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Y'all have some awesome hobbies. The radioactive stuff is so fascinating! I also spin yarn but Chernobyl Princess yours is gorgeous!

My weirdest hobby is keeping and sometimes breeding snakes. I don't do it often because I don't want to make babies if there is no demand for them. Here is a baby hatching from 2018

Corrina, a very chill and perfect girl with another of my hobbies - getting tattoos:

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

My hobby is stabbing little gryphons into existence with tiny barbed needles

I also make other things but cute little gryphons are a pretty large percentage at this point. I love birds but bird feet are annoying to make and I love cats but cat faces are annoying to make. Gryphons is the perfect solution!

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
...is that a gouldian finchgriffin and a red-capped robingryphon? They are PERFECT

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Agreed that the harmless griffins are pretty great.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Tree Bucket posted:

...is that a gouldian finchgriffin and a red-capped robingryphon? They are PERFECT

Thanks! Yes, the gouldian finch is the latest one but always seemed inevitable since they're so pretty. It was weird having to try extend its colour scheme to legs!

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."

these are the best things ive ever seen

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Genesplicer posted:

Most of my stuff is reasonably harmless, but the revigator is a bit of a different story. One of the products of the radioactive decay is radon gas. That's an issue, as you can inhale it, and it can decay in your lungs. I will sometimes clear it out by taking it outside, opening the lid and holding a small fan over the opening for a minute or so.

That way, I can share the radon with everybody!

Thanks. Also, great user picture and post synergy here.

manderson
Aug 12, 2005

Human Extraordinaire

Slugworth posted:

I accidentally became a mounted insect guy.

This is awesome!

Wish I had the time for something like this. I do collect weird poo poo and occasionally make random terrariums inside of glass objects you wouldn't expect them in though :shrug:

Thora
Aug 21, 2006

Look on my Posts, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away

Beachcomber posted:

So far I've spent $7 on two pieces.

Heck yeah this is what I’m doing (trying to do). I have a hand held black light that I use but it haven’t had any luck yet. I also want a Revigerator because it’s old-medicine adjacent, which is one of my many interests.

I collect shells, primarily Gulf Coast and Atlantic. I have one of everything (almost, I found a junonia fragment the first time I went out and since then, nothing.) One spring visit I got ridiculously lucky and found four horse conchs, all over 12” and a few lightning whelk of similar size. The jewel in my collection is a Tridacna gigas, aka a man eating clam shell half.

The display shelf a couple of years ago. T gigas with an octopus molded like it’s a skeleton sitting in it is on the table base. There is an onyx sphere and ark shells also.

Unwrapped and waiting for placement (and some windex and paper towel).

Live horsie I found in the shallows at 10k islands, which I put back (no live shelling! It’s illegal, and also cruel). The fleshy pink-orange is the snail. The brown thing is the operculum, a trap door it can pull up even with the mouth of the shell to keep things out.

Juvenile Florida fighting conchs. The juveniles have the most beautiful patterns and colors, which sometimes persist into adulthood and can range from cream to walnut and everything in between.

Light colors and some pattern retention on almost-adult FFCs.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
It's barely a hobby since I don't actually know how to play it, but it's weird and unusual:

Here's my favorite preset:

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Those horse conchs are beautiful. We're at the northern end of their range in NC, so they're a rarer find here. I've got a few small ones, but a big guy is a bucket list shell.

Thora
Aug 21, 2006

Look on my Posts, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away

Slugworth posted:

Those horse conchs are beautiful. We're at the northern end of their range in NC, so they're a rarer find here. I've got a few small ones, but a big guy is a bucket list shell.

Thank you! They’re my favorite. You also get moon snails the size of baseballs and a wider variety of whelks up in NC. OBX has been on my list for a while but I saw the driving I’d have to do to get there from the airport and immediately went :effort: Soon though!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Animal-Mother posted:

It's barely a hobby since I don't actually know how to play it, but it's weird and unusual:

Here's my favorite preset:

That's awesome, I'm super jealous since one of my addictions hobbies is collecting musical instruments and (usually half-assedly) figuring out how to play them. Probably for the best that I've never run into one while browsing flea markets and such.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Organza Quiz posted:

Thanks! Yes, the gouldian finch is the latest one but always seemed inevitable since they're so pretty. It was weird having to try extend its colour scheme to legs!

They all look incredible. If there's any others you need to post them!
Speaking of creative efforts to re-combobulate bird colours, here's a thing I drew a while back:

Everything looks better in wren colours. The major mitchell looks great in every format, except for scrub turkey, where it kind of looks like Philippe from Achewood

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Tree Bucket posted:

Speaking of creative efforts to re-combobulate bird colours, here's a thing I drew a while back:

Everything looks better in wren colours. The major mitchell looks great in every format, except for scrub turkey, where it kind of looks like Philippe from Achewood

That's rad. Now add in some dinosaurs

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

ante posted:

That's rad. Now add in some dinosaurs

Well I had this one ready to go

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Tree Bucket posted:

Oh I love this! I've often thought about just making up my own fairywren colours but so many projects, so little time.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

The Wurst Poster posted:

Telephony. It's a terrible hobby for terrible people.

sick collection. i have this old phone from the 90s, but i haven't figured out what to do with it. is there any easy way of connecting it to a PC or smartphone to make calls? based on the amount of equipment you have maybe not...but figured i would ask

here's another bizarre bear phone i saw at the thrift store several years ago. i left the pair at the store for some other lucky shopper to take home.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

:gowron: hot dang

I have a soft spot for weirdo 80s tech -- usually I look for oddball calculators and clocks, but to keep phone chat going:

https://i.imgur.com/W3FoSOh.mp4

brb, calling the local Goa'uld system lord to get me off this wack-rear end planet

The Wurst Poster
Apr 8, 2005

Literally the Wurst...

Seriously...

For REALSIES.

kreeningsons posted:

sick collection. i have this old phone from the 90s, but i haven't figured out what to do with it. is there any easy way of connecting it to a PC or smartphone to make calls? based on the amount of equipment you have maybe not...but figured i would ask

You want an analog telephone adapter. You can get one for about $50 to connect to a VOIP provider. Most providers have a guide on how to configure them for their service.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

The Wurst Poster posted:

You want an analog telephone adapter. You can get one for about $50 to connect to a VOIP provider. Most providers have a guide on how to configure them for their service.

Or you can do this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YJzLIMrnGk

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Maybe not as neat or unusual as some of the ones posted here, but my hobby is (basically) free. Wild food foraging.

It's a way to add a little something extra to a regular old walk in the woods/park. It DOES take a good eye sometimes, and, of course, knowing what is and isn't edible. Don't rely on a single app or website description* for foraging wild edibles. Verify in at least a couple sources, especially for things that can have VERY toxic lookalikes. I've been doing it for years, and I still don't even bother with any sort of wild carrot/parsnip. Hemlock is no joke.

That being said, there are some real easy ones you can ID even as an amateur. Dandelion is one of the big ones starting foraging guides mention, and for good reason. We pretty much all know what a dandelion looks like. The leaves are edible as a green for a salad (kinda bitter, especially in older ones, like arugula. Even kind of looks like arugula leaves. ) You can make drinks/wine and even jelly out of the flowers. And the roots can be washed and roasted for a sort-of coffee substitute. I did it once, it's a lot of effort, but it wasn't bad. Kind of like a mix of tea and coffee.

And who amongst us hasn't picked the occasional wild blackberry or raspberry? That's a real easy one to forage for because, at least in N. America, there are no toxic lookalikes, with the POSSIBLE exception of Goldenseal. But it grows a single berry per stalk, in the middle of the leaf. So only the berry part itself looks like a raspberry.

Just know that if it has thorns, and there are many berries growing in a single stalk, and it looks like a raspberry (even if it's not red,) it's safe to eat.
Raspberries, blackberries, salmon berries (often yellow or orange in color), wineberries (invasive in N. America), thimble berries, and black raspberries (my favorite, don't confuse for a blackberry), are all good.

*And unfortunately, AI has led to a LOT of badly generated articles for content mills and even BOOKS for sale on Amazon that have incorrect info in them. It's a big deal in the foraging community because newbies could read the wrong thing and poison themselves or others.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I am the only person, so far as I can tell, to have selectively bred Malaysian Trumpet Snails (Melanoides tuberculata) to be nicer. Most MTS genetic lines are inbred and lovely. Mine are healthy.

This earns me about 10bux a year minus tank upkeep and I've been working on them for 20 years. You do the math.

I'm pretty crippled and out of the game now but I still maintain two different selectively bred MTS populations both better than anything you'll find for sale. One gets big, one keeps the coloration well. I intermix the two when I find one that I think will be good for the other tank, but I've pretty much created Melanoides tuberculata var. Big and Melanoides tuberculata var. Brown.

These are snails that you can just like, walk into any fish store, local or chain, and say "hey can i get some of your pest mts?" and they will probably be annoyed they gotta catch them but be glad they're gone.

The one place selling my stock is charging $8 for 5 lololol. They started with a mixed batch from me a few years ago and combined them with their terrible stumpy shell stock. These are worth roughly a shitload less. It's a one time purchase, they never go away, so I guess it makes sense to ask a lot?

I've introduced new genetics from outside sources 8? times and I have never spent a single cent on the snails themselves.

Discount Dracula
Aug 15, 2003

Nap Ghost

Desert Bus posted:

Snail talk.

I would like to see pictures of your snails. Snails are cool.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Discount Dracula posted:

I would like to see pictures of your snails. Snails are cool.

I need to do some tank stuff soon but I know I have pics of mine vs. normal somewhere.

OK no edit needed, on the left is a normal sized 1.25" adult with ok-ish markings and the right two are my Big line adults. The bigger they grow the more they lose coloration. I can't find an easy pic of my Brown line adults but they're not getting this big.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Desert Bus posted:

I need to do some tank stuff soon but I know I have pics of mine vs. normal somewhere.

OK no edit needed, on the left is a normal sized 1.25" adult with ok-ish markings and the right two are my Big line adults. The bigger they grow the more they lose coloration. I can't find an easy pic of my Brown line adults but they're not getting this big.

I forgot to actually post my question with the first one, that's cool but I was just curious what you do with them? Do folks just want them for tanks, for other pets to eat, etc?