Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Captain Hygiene posted:

I forgot to actually post my question with the first one, that's cool but I was just curious what you do with them? Do folks just want them for tanks, for other pets to eat, etc?

They're very useful for freshwater planted aquariums. They come out at night and eat anything dead and spend the day rummaging through the substrate, providing aeration and nutrients to the plant roots with the poo they made during the night.

About 15 years ago one of my friends had a tank with Pea Puffers. The MTS that stayed on the glass when the light went on were targets. The MTS that dropped immediately were safe. Both of my groups seem to have inherited that dropping behavior. That said they suck at being food for bigger puffers. Pea puffers will go for the foot, bigger ones the shell, and these have thick shells. Pretty decent food for Loaches if you can keep the population up.

They can both have sex and just poo poo out babies via parthenogenesis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

At this rate i'd estimate i'm about 20 years away from a solid line that gets big and keeps its color. Every infusion of new genetics is necessary but also sets things back even if I harvest from someone's tank that was seeded with mine.

EDIT: these are called "aquarium herpes" in some circles. one you got them you got them.

Desert Bus has a new favorite as of 02:22 on Feb 24, 2024

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Ah okay, that's really cool!

Queer Grenadier
Jun 14, 2023

THIS GUY HAS A POOPY BOOM BOOM

HE NOT WARSHING HE HOLES LOL

Empty Sandwich posted:

I make dirt into rock to solve problems I made up

the weirdest pieces I make are probably the face jugs. they evolved out three different previous traditions and took root in the American southeast and now they're a fairly common folk art form.

I try to make sure mine will work as functional pieces even though they don't get used that way

This is great! How did you learn about this or get into this? Any photos or videos of the creation process?

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

I play bellows driven bagpipes, specifically the Scottish smallpipes and border pipes.

https://youtu.be/bkiP1lRvIvY?si=XY9jLYtvx4jmIf9-

Here’s a fun multi-part overview and history of these instruments if any of yall are interested.

I dont yet have the courage or bandwidth to pick up the Uillean pipes, but would like to try to someday.

https://youtu.be/4MxFsk4sYM4?si=Kr-PZml0IDUnHRAW

jonny righteous
Oct 31, 2006
trouser.
I wander around in rockpools taking photos of critters

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

jonny righteous posted:

These are some fabulous rock critters! The level of detail you got on the shot of the crab (or whatever the last guy is, please enlighten me if it's something else!) is great too, nice work.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

jonny righteous posted:

nice

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
That nudibranch picture is fantastic

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i enjoy the crab

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone

Same

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

jonny righteous posted:

You are in Australia or New Zealand! I recognize those critters!

I think I even have pictures of the nudibranch and the triplefin, but I can't upload to imgur through the app anymore so dunno how to show them

Edit: I figured it out!

These nudibranchs are banging and it was a couple years ago so maybe these are the ancestors of your nudibranch!

Edit2

There were more!

They look like a little nudi gang.

Edit 3

DeadlyMuffin has a new favorite as of 09:41 on Mar 10, 2024

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Nudibranches are so cute, how are they even real

That lil fish is a cutie too

How do you get such nice clear pictures of them? Do you use a submergable camera, or a polarized lens maybe?

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

mycatscrimes posted:

Nudibranches are so cute, how are they even real

That lil fish is a cutie too

How do you get such nice clear pictures of them? Do you use a submergable camera, or a polarized lens maybe?

Mine were taken with an underwater camera while diving.

I don't know what jonny righteous was using rock pooling, but probably a submergible camera.The Olympus TG series cameras are popular for that kind of thing around here.

jonny righteous
Oct 31, 2006
trouser.

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Mine were taken with an underwater camera while diving.

I don't know what jonny righteous was using rock pooling, but probably a submergible camera.The Olympus TG series cameras are popular for that kind of thing around here.

Yes I am in New Zealand! I like your photos! Nudibranches are excellent, they often have such a fancy butt. I have an Olympus TG6 which is nice and compact and great for taking photos of small things and works well underwater, it has hit a lot of rocks and still keeps going so I totally recommend it. I also have a Panasonic Lumix underwater camera which is ok, but not great at taking photos of small things and doesn't geotag the photos which is annoying (but it is cheaper).

Here's an NZ hermit crab that's a bit upset I tipped it over:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

jonny righteous posted:

Here's an NZ hermit crab that's a bit upset I tipped it over:

"You're in an ocean, swimming along in the water when all of a sudden you look down and see a hermit crab. It's crawling toward you. You reach down and flip the hermit crab over on its back, Jonny. The hermit crab lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun, beating its legs trying to turn itself over. But it can't. Not with out your help. But you're not helping. Why is that, Jonny?"

seance snacks
Mar 30, 2007

Tree Bucket posted:

I think the local forest is my hobby? I spend a lot of time there taking photos of birds and interesting lichen, drawing maps of species distributions, trying to puzzle out why different plants grow where they do, doing really amateurish ecological field surveys...
It's a good forest. Except for the mosquitoes

Same! …kinda. I usually go out with a focus on amphibians, but I have been trying to expand that with plant and fungi documentation too. I even added a ground thermometer to my kit.

This time of year especially there are some cool opportunities to see animal migrations as the amphibians wake up to spawn. When it gets late winter/early spring, when the ground temp is above freezing and we get the first “warm” night time rain of the year, the noble spotted salamander emerges from the leaf litter to seek their vernal pools.

Working on getting my Citizens Frogwatch Certification now, but it’s an academic program through some university’s bio department. You take a test to show you can identify frog & toad calls and then you’re able to submit your logs on the program’s website which is basically a giant data model to tracks amphib populations/wetlands health.

Will post frog pics if anyone is interested

Discount Dracula
Aug 15, 2003

Nap Ghost

seance snacks posted:

Will post frog pics if anyone is interested

:getin:

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Please show us the frogs

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Orbs posted:

Please show us the frogs

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

seance snacks posted:

Will post frog pics

Great! I also want to see the noble salamander.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

seance snacks posted:

Working on getting my Citizens Frogwatch Certification now, but it’s an academic program through some university’s bio department. You take a test to show you can identify frog & toad calls and then you’re able to submit your logs on the program’s website which is basically a giant data model to tracks amphib populations/wetlands health.

That’s really neat. I wonder how easily something like Birdnet could be adapted for frogs and toads. I set up a Birdnet Pi (a raspberry pi with a microphone, set up to always be listening) in my backyard (as well as my parents and in-laws) so we could better tell what’s in our yards. It’d be amazing to have that expanded to include amphibians and reptiles.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
mods are asleep post toad

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
Frogs, please!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

:justpost::f5h::frog:

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
post pics of your toads or it didn't happen

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
It should be illegal to talk about your weird or unusual hobby without posting pictures, imo

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Tbh I think frogs are cool, but taking pictures is hardly an unusual hobby

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I like to take classes. I recently took an insect taxidermy class, and in a couple weeks I'm going to take a Victorian hairwork class. I'll probably take a terrarium building class and a silversmithing/make a ring class soon too.

edit: Desert Bus you owe me some snails

HelloIAmYourHeart has a new favorite as of 04:39 on Mar 15, 2024

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I like to take classes. I recently took an insect taxidermy class, and in a couple weeks I'm going to take a Victorian hairwork class. I'll probably take a terrarium building class and a silversmithing/make a ring class soon too.

edit: Desert Bus you owe me some snails

LOL I just saw your post and was about to message you!

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Grumio posted:

It should be illegal to talk about your weird or unusual hobby without posting pictures, imo

Here's my favorite preset on the Theremin:

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Theatrical release movie posters for the two Ewok movies that came out in the mid 80s. I also have a couple action figures and a French LP of the Les Petit Ewoks song that was written to accompany the first film.

theironjef has a new favorite as of 00:14 on Mar 18, 2024

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

theironjef posted:

Theatrical release movie posters for the two Ewok movies that came out in the mid 80s. I also have a couple action figures and a French LP of the Les Petit Ewoks song that was written to accompany the first film.

I had never once considered the possibility of Wilford Brimley's crotchety visage gracing my walls, and now it's the thing I want most in life :sweatdrop:

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

theironjef posted:

How are the movies? Do you own those too?

It's crazy how much rando crap the 80's produced. What is an Ewok? How did they get two movies, action figures, and an LP? 80's merchandising I assume.

Most 80's merchandise cash grabs were lovely cartoons/commercials right?

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Desert Bus posted:

It's crazy how much rando crap the 80's produced. What is an Ewok? How did they get two movies, action figures, and an LP? 80's merchandising I assume.
That Star Wars thing was a pretty big deal!

There was an Ewok cartoon, too.

I guess my somewhat unusual hobby would be that I'm part of a Japanese music association that these days primarily does karaoke, we host karaoke rooms at conventions and such. I maintain our song database with somewhere north 6000 songs in it (but I wasn't around from the beginning, I took over taking care of that part eventually), and they're all homemade. Not the music, but syncing the text to the music and making everything look good and so. I wrote a detailed guide for how to use the program we use to make good karaoke files, and that has definitely been a reason for how much the song database has grown in the last decade-ish, with many new members of the association sending in their files to be added.

KennyMan666 has a new favorite as of 09:42 on Mar 18, 2024

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Wow, that reminds me, I briefly got into the hobby of producing song files for UltraStar Deluxe. It's an open-source implementation of Singstar, you know, that PS2 trend from the mid-2000's where the game scores you on your pitch and timing.

You start by sequencing the melody as a MIDI file. Then you make a text file, similar to a subtitles file, with note-for-note syllables/words. And finally you pair this with an mpeg file of the music video of the tune. Zip it up and you're done.

There was a surprising amount of content out there that was sloppily made or just full of errors in the music transcription.

For someone with the right type of personality, it felt pretty satisfying. Regrettably (but not surprisingly), all the public repositories for this type of file kept getting taken down. I think I uploaded 4 or 5 songs before giving up that hobby. One fun thing was when I produced Ultrastar versions of a band's original tunes for one-time use at the release party of the album. Put a machine up in the lobby of the event and fun times were had.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
I have a knife collection. Not fancy expensive knives, mostly $20-$30 pocket knives that look kinda neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
That reminds me that I have a whole poo poo load of knives. I'll get some pictures when I go back to work.