Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Pneub posted:

I have a knife collection. Not fancy expensive knives, mostly $20-$30 pocket knives that look kinda neat.

Is that strictly an aesthetic thing or do you also care for quality?
I ask because I know plenty of good knives are not visually that interesting and of course the crap mall ninja specials can look completely wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

I'm into fountain pens, partly the fault of the forum.

Not too weird, but I've actually taught myself to be ambidextrous. I didn't know going in that you needed a left handed nib, and just adapted because I wanted to reclaim being able to use my left hand as well as my right. (Long story short is that during my formative years I was made to use my right hand, though I was capable with both initially.)

At this point, my writing with either is equally legible, though I tend to approach certain letters differently.

Another hobby is that I've trained my cat to go outside on a leash. She doesn't heel like a dog, but getting a cat that will accept a harness is hard enough! She actually gets really excited and comes running if she hears me getting it down. It's super cute. If I pick her up to go inside before she's done playing, she complains at me with very outraged little mews. I have an older cat than her that I didn't think would be ok with walks, but has reacted favorably to the harness, so I'm going to get him one, too.

We don't leave the yard, because I don't want to rile up the neighbor dogs. It's not fair that they're kept in fences all day, and they'd absolutely terrify Nugget if we were to pass them and set them off.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Thora posted:

I collect shells, primarily Gulf Coast and Atlantic. I have one of everything (almost, I found a junonia fragment the first time I went out and since then, nothing.) One spring visit I got ridiculously lucky and found four horse conchs, all over 12” and a few lightning whelk of similar size. The jewel in my collection is a Tridacna gigas, aka a man eating clam shell half.

As a former museum curator I got to ask if you keep collection data with your specimens? At some point, those shells are very likely to be offered to a museum, and a simple label with collection data (place, time, name of collector) make the whole difference between a scientific specimen and a decorative object.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
I collect skulls, bleach them, and use them as garden ornaments.

It started out as a kind of respect while out hunting, if I'm going to kill an animal I'm taking as much meat as I can, then the skull as a kind of honoring gesture. Then some random beach finds got added in.
I also have started tanning hides, so that doesn't go to waste either. I've just finished a rabbit skin blanket for my daughter who absolutely adores it and keeps rubbing the fur on her face.
Maybe when summer rolls around next and I want go spend more time outside I'll try some scrimshaw on one and see how it goes.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

carrionman posted:

It started out as a kind of respect while out hunting, if I'm going to kill an animal I'm taking as much meat as I can, then the skull as a kind of honoring gesture. Then some random beach finds got added in.
I also have started tanning hides, so that doesn't go to waste either. I've just finished a rabbit skin blanket for my daughter who absolutely adores it and keeps rubbing the fur on her face.
Maybe when summer rolls around next and I want go spend more time outside I'll try some scrimshaw on one and see how it goes.

I've just had a sudden miraculous burst of insight as to what your username relates to.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Tree Bucket posted:

I've just had a sudden miraculous burst of insight as to what your username relates to.

they never check their luggage

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
So I have probably a weird and unusual amount of knives.

Here's the poo poo I use at work most of the time.

Here's a whole gang of paring knives for when I need to pare a whole gang of poo poo.

A forums-recommended veggie cleaver. Some of my students prefer this type of knife.

Some of the stuff I don't bring to work, including my fancy shmancy Japanese knife.

I think someone told me once that this is kind of a rare find these days. Not "worth money" rare, more like "Huh. Don't see that often anymore" rare.

Only the finest molybdenum for me.

Here's my can opener. I like the little guy in the boat.

Here's my home defense system.

Compared to a full length chef knife.

Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
There's just something so aesthetically pleasing about a khukri.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

carrionman posted:

Excellent username/post synergy.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

The honing rod appears rather short for the job, don't you find it more convenient to work with a long one or just a strop?

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

Kukri + Cookery

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

By popular demand posted:

The honing rod appears rather short for the job, don't you find it more convenient to work with a long one or just a strop?

Nah, works fine. Fits in my bag. We do have longer ones hanging around the kitchen, plus oil stones for actual sharpening, which I find I only need to do about twice a year. Or if it's really slow and I'm bored.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hello, I just found this thread, please forgive me for replying to months-old posts. I have dabbled in several weird hobbies, I will post about them for you.

Slugworth posted:

I accidentally became a mounted insect guy.

My wife has dabbled. Mostly I used to just buy her pre-mounted insects, and then a guy we know gave her some more. One issue we've had over the years is that small bugs get into the display frames and eat the corpses of the bigger bugs. We've lost several specimens that way. Especially with your naturalistically-mounted beetles - which are gorgeous by the way - you may want to research how to try and prevent that. I'm pretty sure one of our losses was to carpet beetles, because we had a brief interlude of carpet beetles in our home (we own no carpets but they were probably subsisting on shedded cat fur and definitely on my wife's wool garments) but I'm not certain of that.

Shells: a year and a half ago my wife and I collected a bunch of shells on a beach near Pensacola. Here they are:

A couple of close-ups of the more interesting ones:

I would not mind some identifications!

My hobbies:
For about 15 years we have kept poison dart frogs. We used to have a lot more, but the way it goes is you gradually have fewer and fewer unless you keep buying more, and we stopped doing that. So here's the last one:

She's a Dendrobates leucomelas, or bumble-bee dart frog. In the past we also had Phyllobates bicolor, Ranitomeya variabilis, and - for a tragically very short period of time - D. tinctorius. We were extremely careful to only buy frogs from breeders who we met in person, trafficking in wild-caught dart frogs is unethical and sometimes also illegal so don't do that.

Here's a pic of our bicolor from 2009:

I also collected AOL CDs. Back in the 90s AOL sent CDs to everyone, they'd show up in the mail, they'd be inserted in newspapers and stuck to magazines, etc. I didn't actually like or want them but I was poor as poo poo and thought maybe collectors would eventually want them so I grabbed a few and then members of my family started saving them for me. So now I have a duffel bag of AOL CDs in the closet.

The oldest is an actual floppy disk

I always liked how the primary selling point was how many hours you'd get for free. For the first month, or eventually, the first 45 days. For you younger folks, that's right, you used to have to pay for dialup internet by the hour used per month, at least if you went with AOL, and you did that for a long, long, long time after every other ISP was offering a flat monthly rate with unlimited connection hours.

The number of hours kept slowly going up, because you know, you gotta beat whatever the old offer was, right?

And then I've got a few of these random novelty biggo shaped shits like this one

Anyway when I was in my 20s I hoped I'd make a few hundred dollars eventually on whichever ones turned out to be rare and collectible. A quick glance at eBay suggests a few other people had the same idea, and maybe there's not very many people out there really trying to complete their collection by actually buying the things. But poo poo, it's a really compact collection so it costs me nothing really to hang on to them!

e. lmao people do actually buy these if those aren't fake sales to create the illusion of a market. Huh.

Leperflesh has a new favorite as of 00:21 on Apr 6, 2024

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Leperflesh posted:

For about 15 years we have kept poison dart frogs

I think that's the most unique one, I've never heard of anyone personally keeping those. They look rad as hell, but I had no idea they were safe enough to keep.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Captain Hygiene posted:

I think that's the most unique one, I've never heard of anyone personally keeping those. They look rad as hell, but I had no idea they were safe enough to keep.

If they are captive bred they don't have any poison! I think it's because their poison comes from their diet, like fugu fish.

Those are some really cute little froggies. What's that vine the bumblebee is hanging out in?

mycatscrimes has a new favorite as of 02:09 on Apr 6, 2024

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

mycatscrimes posted:

If they are captive bred they don't have any poison! I think it's because their poison comes from their diet, like fugu fish.

:aaaaa:

TIL

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
If they weren't so pricey and hard to breed you could snack on them all day long.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Leperflesh posted:

A couple of close-ups of the more interesting ones:

These are a murex of some kind. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murex

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

mycatscrimes posted:

Those are some really cute little froggies. What's that vine the bumblebee is hanging out in?

This is exactly correct: the dart frogs manufacture batrachotoxin from some portion of their natural diet, which some scientists have speculated are mites or ants but nobody has actually proven what food items they might be from for sure.

Also, of over 100 species of poison dart frogs in the superfamily Dendrobatoidea, only about four are documented as having been used by local cultures for making poison darts: all of them are in the genus Phyllobates, and that bicolor we had was one of those species. Most or all poison dart frogs have at least mildly toxic skin in the wild, and concentrations of the toxic chemical vary among individuals as well as species, but the Phyllobates spp are the ones with the super high concentrations that'll kill ya for sure.

Even wild-caught frogs gradually lose their toxicity, but it can take years, and no poison dart frog is safe to lick. You also generally do not handle these extremely fragile creatures, they're not the kind of pet that you pick up and uh, pet. They're for looking at only!

Most of the species that appear in the pet trade are the highly colorful ones, and these species with their bright warning colors also tend to be quite bold, so you get to look at them doing their thing. They're active and voracious hunters that eat live prey. The smaller ones you feed live flightless fruit flies, the larger ones can also eat pinhead (< 1 week old) crickets, and some keepers supplement with other small insect foods. They all require at least some degree of climate control, mostly to do with humidity, and they must have extremely clean water. But most of them live in relatively temperate climate - often high up in mountainous rainforest that does not reach the high temps of the lower elevation tropical jungle, and that means they don't need tropical level heating. They also do not get much sunlight naturally and so don't require UV lighting, although many of us use a low level of UV lighting in part to help their plants stay healthy and grow, and also because they may actually manufacture vitamin D at least a little bit. But we dust the food items with a mix of calcium and vitamin powder that contains vitamin D, because they definitely get most of their D from their food in the wild, and fruit flies do not have enough by themselves.

The frogs are not very well studied IMO. The whole superfamily's genetic makeup has been surveyed within the last decade and a major taxonomic shakeup occurred, but on an individual species basis there is not much reliable scientific data about things like individual diet or skin toxicity. So everything I said above comes mostly from information shared by enthusiasts and breeders in the pet dart frog keeping world, and should be taken as reasonably true but not 100% verified by thorough scientific investigation.

As for the plants: I'm not sure what that vine is. We used to attend a regular frog meetup down in San Jose and the guy that hosted it was also into plants, people would bring cuttings to trade and all the plant names kinda go in one of my ears and out the other. My wife might could say. They're basically immortal viny little plants that do well in the terrarium with 4x daily misting, UV light, practically no soil, and regular trimming. I don't have one right now but these frogs also really love bromeliads, which gather water in their axils that the frogs like to use for laying eggs in.

This bumblebee frog is kind of the last survivor, they do well in small groups and she lost her sibling over a year ago to... well, I don't really know. This is part of why I'm easing my way out of the hobby. Frogs are fragile, prone to numerous ailments, they sometimes hide that they're sick at all, and even exotic pet veterinarians don't know what to do for a lot of things. They can live for 20+ years, clearly, but usually don't, and it's unlikely they live for very many years in the wild. The frog way of life is to be prolific rather than robust. So when this one finally kicks the little froggy bucket we don't intend to replace it. We've got a house full of cats now, we have geckos and a toad, and maintaining fruit fly cultures to feed just one frog is a big pain in the rear end.

Oh right! That sounds really familiar so I bet someone already told us that at some point. Thanks!

Leperflesh has a new favorite as of 02:43 on Apr 6, 2024

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Wow, thanks for all the info! Frogs are pretty neat. : ) The frog woes are unfortunately remniscent of what I've heard from rat keepers. It's hard to have little animals, sometimes.

That plant looks like it's loving the terrarium life indeed! It looks like a variety of Pilea, but unfortunately Pilea is very varied and I'm a plant novice, so I can't be sure. I also can't find a good match in the Pilea family for both the leaves and the growth habit. It's very nice looking either way, and it sounds quite hardy. On the off chance you or your wife are able to recall the ID, I'd love to know for future terrariums.

Edit:
Tentatively, it might be Pellonia repens or a relative? I think that's a closer fit than any pilea or peperomia I've searched, especially since the light interior with a dark frame is a really distinct pattern.

https://sprouthome.com/products/pellonia-repens-watermellon-vine-4-5
https://www.house-plant-hobbyist.com/blog/2020/11/21/pellionia-repens-trailing-watermelon-begonia-care
Per this second source, they do see use in frog vivariums!

Also they are known as 'Trailing Watermelon Begonias', and are of course, not begonias. They are not to be confused with the peperomia sometimes called a Watermelon Begonia, which is not a begonia and not a pellonia. Love common names lol.

mycatscrimes has a new favorite as of 03:27 on Apr 6, 2024

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Leperflesh posted:

I would not mind some identifications!
So it's tough to like, explain which shells I'm referring to, but if you Google these, you'll quickly sort out what's what. The red/white/gray variegated shells are calicos. Your larger red conch is a florida fighting conch, you also have some juveniles - They have a similar shape, but the coloration is different, and they also have grooves as juveniles that disappear with age. Your shiny cigar shaped ones are lettered olives. Above them are some spiny jewel boxes. There's a chunk of shell that is the lip of a helmet shell. Above that, you've got what in the Carolinas are referred to as pawley island shells, in Florida I would assume the more common name is Imperial Venus clam. Most of your cone shaped ones are augers, but a couple ceriths have snuck in. Next to them are a couple of turbans and what appears to be a chunk of a banded tulip. The shiny paper thin shells (silver and gold) are jingles. Agreed with the other poster that those are a couple murexes, but I don't think we have that species in NC, so couldn't say what they are exactly. Similar to a lace murex, but I don't think that's a perfect match.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
My girlfriend got me a dehydrated scorpion for my birthday, so as one does, I checked the ol' skull collection to see if I had anything that would work with it. Then I went to buy a football display case, and not wanting to look like a weirdo, assured the cashier that I was super into football, and definitely not putting a skull in it. Then I bought some model train ballast, and not wanting to look like a weirdo, assured the cashier that it wasn't for model trains, it was for a skull I was working with.

I don't know how to take photos through glass/acrylic, so imagine there's an acrylic box around it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

That's very cool looking, and congratulations on consistently not looking like a weirdo during the entire acquisition and assembly process :ocelot:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

mycatscrimes posted:

Tentatively, it might be Pellonia repens or a relative? I think that's a closer fit than any pilea or peperomia I've searched, especially since the light interior with a dark frame is a really distinct pattern.

Wow OK yeah that might be it, I'll have to go in and see what's thriving right now and see if I can get better photos. The photo I posted was from about two years ago and the vivarium evolves over time.

Slugworth posted:

So it's tough to like, explain which shells I'm referring to

Awesome! I'll dig out the shells and get some labels put together or something, that'd be nice to have. Thank you!

jonny righteous
Oct 31, 2006
trouser.

I think those two in the middle are crab carapaces. The ones on the left look similar to what in NZ we call Tower Shells, the ones on the top Fan Shells (they probably have another name where you are though)!

The ones on the top might be dog cockles, the ones in the middle might be jingle shells, bottom right are barnacles or some type, top right might be some type of carditta?

https://www.inaturalist.org/ is great for getting ids on stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Desert Bus posted:

How are the movies? Do you own those too?

It's crazy how much rando crap the 80's produced. What is an Ewok? How did they get two movies, action figures, and an LP? 80's merchandising I assume.

Most 80's merchandise cash grabs were lovely cartoons/commercials right?

They are... an acquired taste. I love them but I'm a weird or unusual hobbyist. I do also own them, the cartoon(and the droids cartoon), one of those holiday special bootlegs, and just for real weird fun, a program from the 1986 Ice Capades that featured the Ewoks as they appeared in the cartoon.