Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thora
Aug 21, 2006

Look on my Posts, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away

Beachcomber posted:

So far I've spent $7 on two pieces.

Heck yeah this is what I’m doing (trying to do). I have a hand held black light that I use but it haven’t had any luck yet. I also want a Revigerator because it’s old-medicine adjacent, which is one of my many interests.

I collect shells, primarily Gulf Coast and Atlantic. I have one of everything (almost, I found a junonia fragment the first time I went out and since then, nothing.) One spring visit I got ridiculously lucky and found four horse conchs, all over 12” and a few lightning whelk of similar size. The jewel in my collection is a Tridacna gigas, aka a man eating clam shell half.

The display shelf a couple of years ago. T gigas with an octopus molded like it’s a skeleton sitting in it is on the table base. There is an onyx sphere and ark shells also.

Unwrapped and waiting for placement (and some windex and paper towel).

Live horsie I found in the shallows at 10k islands, which I put back (no live shelling! It’s illegal, and also cruel). The fleshy pink-orange is the snail. The brown thing is the operculum, a trap door it can pull up even with the mouth of the shell to keep things out.

Juvenile Florida fighting conchs. The juveniles have the most beautiful patterns and colors, which sometimes persist into adulthood and can range from cream to walnut and everything in between.

Light colors and some pattern retention on almost-adult FFCs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thora
Aug 21, 2006

Look on my Posts, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away

Slugworth posted:

Those horse conchs are beautiful. We're at the northern end of their range in NC, so they're a rarer find here. I've got a few small ones, but a big guy is a bucket list shell.

Thank you! They’re my favorite. You also get moon snails the size of baseballs and a wider variety of whelks up in NC. OBX has been on my list for a while but I saw the driving I’d have to do to get there from the airport and immediately went :effort: Soon though!