Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Maybe not as neat or unusual as some of the ones posted here, but my hobby is (basically) free. Wild food foraging.

It's a way to add a little something extra to a regular old walk in the woods/park. It DOES take a good eye sometimes, and, of course, knowing what is and isn't edible. Don't rely on a single app or website description* for foraging wild edibles. Verify in at least a couple sources, especially for things that can have VERY toxic lookalikes. I've been doing it for years, and I still don't even bother with any sort of wild carrot/parsnip. Hemlock is no joke.

That being said, there are some real easy ones you can ID even as an amateur. Dandelion is one of the big ones starting foraging guides mention, and for good reason. We pretty much all know what a dandelion looks like. The leaves are edible as a green for a salad (kinda bitter, especially in older ones, like arugula. Even kind of looks like arugula leaves. ) You can make drinks/wine and even jelly out of the flowers. And the roots can be washed and roasted for a sort-of coffee substitute. I did it once, it's a lot of effort, but it wasn't bad. Kind of like a mix of tea and coffee.

And who amongst us hasn't picked the occasional wild blackberry or raspberry? That's a real easy one to forage for because, at least in N. America, there are no toxic lookalikes, with the POSSIBLE exception of Goldenseal. But it grows a single berry per stalk, in the middle of the leaf. So only the berry part itself looks like a raspberry.

Just know that if it has thorns, and there are many berries growing in a single stalk, and it looks like a raspberry (even if it's not red,) it's safe to eat.
Raspberries, blackberries, salmon berries (often yellow or orange in color), wineberries (invasive in N. America), thimble berries, and black raspberries (my favorite, don't confuse for a blackberry), are all good.

*And unfortunately, AI has led to a LOT of badly generated articles for content mills and even BOOKS for sale on Amazon that have incorrect info in them. It's a big deal in the foraging community because newbies could read the wrong thing and poison themselves or others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU