Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seance snacks
Mar 30, 2007

Tree Bucket posted:

I think the local forest is my hobby? I spend a lot of time there taking photos of birds and interesting lichen, drawing maps of species distributions, trying to puzzle out why different plants grow where they do, doing really amateurish ecological field surveys...
It's a good forest. Except for the mosquitoes

Same! …kinda. I usually go out with a focus on amphibians, but I have been trying to expand that with plant and fungi documentation too. I even added a ground thermometer to my kit.

This time of year especially there are some cool opportunities to see animal migrations as the amphibians wake up to spawn. When it gets late winter/early spring, when the ground temp is above freezing and we get the first “warm” night time rain of the year, the noble spotted salamander emerges from the leaf litter to seek their vernal pools.

Working on getting my Citizens Frogwatch Certification now, but it’s an academic program through some university’s bio department. You take a test to show you can identify frog & toad calls and then you’re able to submit your logs on the program’s website which is basically a giant data model to tracks amphib populations/wetlands health.

Will post frog pics if anyone is interested

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU