Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

I spin.

This is Roxy-Mae, my first spinning wheel. She's an antique, technically, but only about a hundred years old, and is a bit finicky, being double-drive and single-treadle. I've made some really lovely yarn on her though

This Christmas I got an Ashford Kiwi, which doesn't have a name yet

This thing is incredibly easy to use, and the integrated lazy Kate (a thing to hold full bobbins so you can twist them together to make plied yarn) is incredibly useful. I've only finished one yarn on it, but it might be the nicest yarn I've ever made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

BattyKiara posted:

Your yarn is amazing! Do you dye as well?

Thanks! I don't yet... mostly I buy pre-dyed roving. I'm just now experimenting with carding my own unprepared alpaca fiber and spinning that, which has been a lot of fun! I do have some undyed flax and cotton, which I'll probably try dying with some of the turmeric root I get from the farmer's market once I spin it up.

Do you have pics of your lace? I crochet but bobbin lace looks very intimidating

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

Rieux posted:

My wife and I have discussed picking this up. Any advice for people thinking about getting started?

Start with a drop spindle!

This will teach you the technique for drafting-- pulling the dense fiber into thinner strands to be spun-- better than starting on a wheel. Because it's dramatically simpler, the rotation is provided by your own fingers and the pull is just gravity, you'll develop a much more Intuitive grasp of what's happening with your fiber than if you start with a wheel.

...also a really nice Ashford 16-inch spindle + 4 Oz of Jacob fiber starter kits go for like 60 to 80 bucks depending on the website, as opposed to a spinning wheel which will be 600 bucks minimum new. Working antiques *can* be cheaper, but there are a lot of fake wheels that were made as home decor cluttering up the market, so unless you know a lot about wheels or can see it and make it work, I wouldn't risk buying an antique off the internet.

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

Holy poo poo, those dead bugs are gorgeous! What's the process of fixing them like?