Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I accidentally became a mounted insect guy.

I found a female eastern hercules beetle upside down at work one day, and flipped her over and went on my way. Unfortunately, I found her dead the next day.

After passing by her a couple days in a row, being impressed by how cool she was, but not wanting to be a weird bug guy, I finally gave in and took her home and started researching how to pin beetles. I ended up making this:

I enjoyed the process, so my girlfriend ended up buying me a male Hercules beetle for Christmas. After rehydrating and pinning him:

Made a frame for him:

My girlfriend bought a Madagascan sunset moth for herself at the same time, intending to get in on the insect action, but decided she wasn't weird enough, and asked me to do something with it instead:

What bug corpse will I purchase next? Who's to know!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Chernobyl Princess posted:

Holy poo poo, those dead bugs are gorgeous! What's the process of fixing them like?
Honestly pretty straightforward, just kind of delicate, finicky work. You leave them in a Tupperware container with some damp paper towels to rehydrate them for a few days to get them posable, and then put a big pin through them into a block of foam. Then you spread the legs out, using pins to keep them in place while they dry. The elytra (the hard covering over the wings) and the wings themselves unfold in a very satisfying, mechanical type of way.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Agreed that the harmless griffins are pretty great.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Those horse conchs are beautiful. We're at the northern end of their range in NC, so they're a rarer find here. I've got a few small ones, but a big guy is a bucket list shell.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Leperflesh posted:

I would not mind some identifications!
So it's tough to like, explain which shells I'm referring to, but if you Google these, you'll quickly sort out what's what. The red/white/gray variegated shells are calicos. Your larger red conch is a florida fighting conch, you also have some juveniles - They have a similar shape, but the coloration is different, and they also have grooves as juveniles that disappear with age. Your shiny cigar shaped ones are lettered olives. Above them are some spiny jewel boxes. There's a chunk of shell that is the lip of a helmet shell. Above that, you've got what in the Carolinas are referred to as pawley island shells, in Florida I would assume the more common name is Imperial Venus clam. Most of your cone shaped ones are augers, but a couple ceriths have snuck in. Next to them are a couple of turbans and what appears to be a chunk of a banded tulip. The shiny paper thin shells (silver and gold) are jingles. Agreed with the other poster that those are a couple murexes, but I don't think we have that species in NC, so couldn't say what they are exactly. Similar to a lace murex, but I don't think that's a perfect match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

My girlfriend got me a dehydrated scorpion for my birthday, so as one does, I checked the ol' skull collection to see if I had anything that would work with it. Then I went to buy a football display case, and not wanting to look like a weirdo, assured the cashier that I was super into football, and definitely not putting a skull in it. Then I bought some model train ballast, and not wanting to look like a weirdo, assured the cashier that it wasn't for model trains, it was for a skull I was working with.

I don't know how to take photos through glass/acrylic, so imagine there's an acrylic box around it.