Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I think the local forest is my hobby? I spend a lot of time there taking photos of birds and interesting lichen, drawing maps of species distributions, trying to puzzle out why different plants grow where they do, doing really amateurish ecological field surveys...
It's a good forest. Except for the mosquitoes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

BattyKiara posted:

May I request bird pics? And if possible, squirrels? I love meeting birds and squirrels.

Well, wrong continent for squirrels, sorry. We have these guys though, and a whole lot of wallabies that are way too fast for me to photograph

And a ridiculous number of birbs. I've counted 90 species in the area so far, but will leave it a couple of photos!

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I repair brass instruments. There are lots of people doing it for a living, but for a computer toucher like me, it's a satisfying hobby. It started with acquiring a vintage instrument that needed some work, and seeing that sending it to a pro would be cost-prohibitive. I've since bought more old horns and practiced on them until I feel like I have a grip on the basics.

I've gotten to where I've done a few repairs on friends' instruments that turned out cosmetically quite nice!

I'll see if I can find some nice before/after pictures later, Imgur seems to have crapped out right now.

I hope you live in south eastern Australia, because the intercontinental postage costs for a euphonium are probably Not Nice

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
What actually happens if you drink the spicy water? I guess the answer is "dead" but, like, instantly dead or one week dead or one decade dead?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
...is that a gouldian finchgriffin and a red-capped robingryphon? They are PERFECT

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Organza Quiz posted:

Thanks! Yes, the gouldian finch is the latest one but always seemed inevitable since they're so pretty. It was weird having to try extend its colour scheme to legs!

They all look incredible. If there's any others you need to post them!
Speaking of creative efforts to re-combobulate bird colours, here's a thing I drew a while back:

Everything looks better in wren colours. The major mitchell looks great in every format, except for scrub turkey, where it kind of looks like Philippe from Achewood

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

ante posted:

That's rad. Now add in some dinosaurs

Well I had this one ready to go

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

seance snacks posted:

Will post frog pics

Great! I also want to see the noble salamander.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

carrionman posted:

I collect skulls, bleach them, and use them as garden ornaments.

It started out as a kind of respect while out hunting, if I'm going to kill an animal I'm taking as much meat as I can, then the skull as a kind of honoring gesture. Then some random beach finds got added in.
I also have started tanning hides, so that doesn't go to waste either. I've just finished a rabbit skin blanket for my daughter who absolutely adores it and keeps rubbing the fur on her face.
Maybe when summer rolls around next and I want go spend more time outside I'll try some scrimshaw on one and see how it goes.

I've just had a sudden miraculous burst of insight as to what your username relates to.