Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
That nudibranch picture is fantastic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Nudibranches are so cute, how are they even real

That lil fish is a cutie too

How do you get such nice clear pictures of them? Do you use a submergable camera, or a polarized lens maybe?

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Captain Hygiene posted:

I think that's the most unique one, I've never heard of anyone personally keeping those. They look rad as hell, but I had no idea they were safe enough to keep.

If they are captive bred they don't have any poison! I think it's because their poison comes from their diet, like fugu fish.

Those are some really cute little froggies. What's that vine the bumblebee is hanging out in?

mycatscrimes has a new favorite as of 02:09 on Apr 6, 2024

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Wow, thanks for all the info! Frogs are pretty neat. : ) The frog woes are unfortunately remniscent of what I've heard from rat keepers. It's hard to have little animals, sometimes.

That plant looks like it's loving the terrarium life indeed! It looks like a variety of Pilea, but unfortunately Pilea is very varied and I'm a plant novice, so I can't be sure. I also can't find a good match in the Pilea family for both the leaves and the growth habit. It's very nice looking either way, and it sounds quite hardy. On the off chance you or your wife are able to recall the ID, I'd love to know for future terrariums.

Edit:
Tentatively, it might be Pellonia repens or a relative? I think that's a closer fit than any pilea or peperomia I've searched, especially since the light interior with a dark frame is a really distinct pattern.

https://sprouthome.com/products/pellonia-repens-watermellon-vine-4-5
https://www.house-plant-hobbyist.com/blog/2020/11/21/pellionia-repens-trailing-watermelon-begonia-care
Per this second source, they do see use in frog vivariums!

Also they are known as 'Trailing Watermelon Begonias', and are of course, not begonias. They are not to be confused with the peperomia sometimes called a Watermelon Begonia, which is not a begonia and not a pellonia. Love common names lol.

mycatscrimes has a new favorite as of 03:27 on Apr 6, 2024