Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Not everyone has the luxury of a computer and keyboard.

That's the only excuse I can think of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Am I too late for the handjob?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i use the pipe key all the time op, one of my all time faves

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
The native Americans used to use every part of the keyboard, but even on the reservations nowadays, numlock and pgdn get thrown right into the trash.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Cubone posted:

I use the forward delete key and grave accent/tilde
probably the most disturbing and serial killerish poo poo about me

Bad Purchase posted:

i use the pipe key all the time op, one of my all time faves

These are pretty commonly used in standard markdown syntax. Backtick is used for fixed-width text, tilde for strikethrough, and double vertical bars for spoiler. The only truly useless keys are capslock and scroll lock. Insert is the serial killer key.

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

what about F1-F12? i only ever use F5 and F9 for quicksave and quickload.

and F12 for screenshots

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

F11 for fullscreen browsin

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

F1 to go fast as hell

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I feel like F2 used to be the go-to for "save" and F3 for "load," but maybe I'm wrong.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

thats weird not gonna lie

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
On my very first computer, a Tandy 386, the PAUSE BREAK button would... just lock the computer up. NEVER understood why it was there.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I remember F5 is refresh, and F11 is "make go big or small if big already" and then Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V are copy and paste, and probably Ctrl+F is find.

I can't really think of other shortcuts. Oh, Win+R is run, I use that. That's every shortcut I think.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

credburn posted:

On my very first computer, a Tandy 386, the PAUSE BREAK button would... just lock the computer up. NEVER understood why it was there.

It's a relic of telegraphs that's just coasting on momentum

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
F11 is the 'build a groteque yet accurate model of my incompetence' button.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

Devils Affricate posted:

How the gently caress is the "print screen" key mysterious? That's got to be the best described key on the keyboard.

when i was a kid i was confused when our canon bubblejet printer wouldnt spit out a copy of what was on the screen when i pressed that

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Bubblejet! Haha

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

F8 to boot to safe mode is burned into my memory.

And how has nobody mentioned Ctrl-Z to undo?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

CaptainSarcastic posted:

And how has nobody mentioned Ctrl-Z to undo?

Because you're the only one who makes mistakes :smug:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

syntaxfunction posted:

Because you're the only one who makes mistakes :smug:

Or I'm the only one that corrects them. :science:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
im not sure ive ever used f6

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
if you're not using alt graph you're weak

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Mr. Crow posted:

im not sure ive ever used f6

I have, and regretted it immediately, because I meant to hit F5 to quicksave, and instead hit F6 which was, for some stupid loving reason, quickload.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
does anyone else know the keyboards that used to have a whole alternate keyset on the front side of the keys, the ones that had all the batshit highend math symbols? this would be the monochrome and i think pre-pc era iirc

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Alt Gr makes me angry, it’s even in the name.

VIA owns though and I can just replace poo poo rear end keys with better things or just turn them off. When the gently caress am I ever going to use Num Lock except by accident, which then screws up my numpad keys.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I am a big fan of my G413's Fn + F8 combo that turns off the windows and right click keys

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
theres a key that's just "clear." It's not delete or backspace.

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

i don't think i ever use right shift. or right control or right alt.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
I use Insert and sometimes I even intend to

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Not a big fan of how most video games dont recognize the button that shifts between hiragana/romanji on japanese keyboards as a re-programmable key so you can't assign it to things.

Stumpy enter and spacebar and the , " @ and . keys being one off from where they are on an english keyboard are the other worst things about them.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I wish I'd have been able to get a giant oldschool backwards L shaped RETURN key when I got my New Model M built

I did get a keycap for it that says return instead of enter tho

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I only know caret browsing exists because my cat keeps stepping on the key.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Hammerite posted:

I use Insert and sometimes I even intend to

Pm me ;)

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Control-Ds nutz op!!!

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
ALL DOGS LOVED, ALL THE TIME
i think the only keys i don't use regularly are scroll lock and pause|break. actually i dont use them ever. sometimes scroll lock gets hit accidentally and i have to turn it off i guess and pause|break i don't even know what it does tbh. anyway i have a 65% keyb + macropad at work and i just don't have those keys mapped at all

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

i think the only keys i don't use regularly are scroll lock and pause|break. actually i dont use them ever. sometimes scroll lock gets hit accidentally and i have to turn it off i guess and pause|break i don't even know what it does tbh. anyway i have a 65% keyb + macropad at work and i just don't have those keys mapped at all

we had an excel spreadsheet where you'd scan empty reels and new reels with a barcode/qr scanner to get a red light or green light to splice chip tape together on the SMD line I worked on, and the 2nd shift supe would always put on scroll lock. Which meant that unless you were hitting specific sequences of arrow keys, it would just scan a barcode into a cell that hosed the whole goddamn thing up and you had to reload it from the shared drive. The drat thing was made to be automated and it broke the automation.

It took me and 2 other people about 18 hours over a week to figure out how Joel was loving up the main thing we used so bad that it didn't work anymore but it didn't affect anyone else. I found out talking to 2nd shift "oh yeah you have to press the arrow keys all over the place to get it in the right cell, and Joel doesn't let us scan reels without supervision anymore."
He never corrected his behavior, until the last day we ran SMD lines (I was the last person to run a chipmounter in that plant and I was just as pissed at Joel for the one reel I had to splice that day as I was every other time he did that for years.)

There's about a 95% chance people not noticing that poo poo caused 2 excursions where entire lots of ~1k circuitboards got thrown away because nobody wants to replace ~300/panel 0201 resistors across 80 double-sided panels with 12 boards a pop.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jan 18, 2024

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I do everything via dictation and right click actions

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Alt+S makes the post so you don't have to click the button

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
remap the c-stick to open goatse

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

TK8325 posted:

i don't think i ever use right shift. or right control or right alt.

I Hadn't Realised I Only Use Right Shift For Capitalisation. Using Left Shift In This Post Feels Really Weird And I Don't Like It!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Y'all got some crazy rear end keyboards