Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

game just pre-loaded on PS5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

The very latest IGN preview showing the most in game footage I've seen yet. It looks intense, and over all sounds a lot like the first game.

- Launching with 2 enemy factions

- Vehicles and mechs 'Coming Soon' after launch

- Procedurally generated levels (So far seen jungle/swamp, deserts, lava worlds, rocky/mountainous with and without snow, missions happening at day and night)

- Stratagems similar to the first game: Bombing and strafing runs, turrets, anti armour rifles and launchers, support drones, shield bubbles.

- Friendlies will drop collected samples and carried weapons on death

- The team shares 20 revives (speculating that this can be altered by mission difficulty and stratagems)

- The UI shows damage to body parts can impact player performance. Maybe this will make secondary weapons more useful? I don't think I ever actually used a pistol on purpose in HD1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGd0m1qjOJ4

TheMostFrench fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Feb 4, 2024

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I used to be a Helldiver, til I took a dropship to the knee.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

This video shows a fair amount of gameplay without commentary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH-peVASEIk

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

I guess they built in "game master" functionality where staff members can look at individual games being played and throw in buffs (i.e. strategems) or debuffs. Also the staff might be mucking with the overall metagame/war. They talk more about the metagame/war also and how the aliens will react to player gains on the war map.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dh_EGMxw9EY

I have mixed feelings about this? Sounds neat. I imagine that while they talk about this being a live service thing, long term this let's them spice up gameplay while finishing development on whatever they want their AI to do.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Feb 2, 2024

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

TheMostFrench posted:

- The team shares 20 revives (speculating that this can be altered by mission difficulty and stratagems)

One of my favorite memories was playing on a difficult planet with friends. We were being literally overrun from every direction and we survived by the skin of our teeth just throwing out respawn beacons until one person could get on the ship.

I found the old video, but the PS4 didn't record voice comms :(. Me and my friend were hype af

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ihf8nb5G94

punching in the dpad strategem codes as fast as you can has never been more exciting lol

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023

credburn posted:

I tried to play Helldivers and had to wade through so much lore

I’m sorry but I need to know what you think the lore is. Because I can simmer it down to two sentences.

SUPER EARTH… our home.

Bugs = stealing our democracy.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F36q5eJuaGI

More gameplay footage and discussion of mechanics. Stuff like changing weather - deep fog impacts visibility at ground level, there is rain but no evidence that it effects mobility or weapon functionality (e.g setting targets on fire), not sure if snow comes and goes mid mission. Planets go through day/night cycles.

According to the video, the galactic campaign allegedly will never end? It might be ongoing for the entire life of HD2, whereas in HD1 you could fight all the way to an enemy homeworld and capture it to defeat that enemy, then would have to fight other factions. This may be a good thing; some people would stop playing HD1 because they didn't enjoy fighting specific factions, and would just wait for other people to defeat the remaining factions to start the war again.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I'm kind of surprised they kept DDRing in powers over a radial menu or something.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Gamerofthegame posted:

I'm kind of surprised they kept DDRing in powers over a radial menu or something.

I know, it owns.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Gamerofthegame posted:

It's one of the biggest reasons I'm coming back for this game. (Besides cooperatively shooting bugs anyways)

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Any chance this is gonna scratch my itch for EDF? I'm definitely interested in how crazy the enemy amounts can get.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

FrickenMoron posted:

Any chance this is gonna scratch my itch for EDF? I'm definitely interested in how crazy the enemy amounts can get.

It's def gonna be sweatier than EDF, I think, major focus on tactics, communication, and difficulty (if the first game was anything to go by. Helldvers was renowned from day 1 for being excruciatingly hard)

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Another video with gameplay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85ZluDbK8ZA

31 minutes of it!

"The thing about hell divers is that you are always outnumbered but your firepower is very bastard"

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I’m coming around on the over the shoulder the camera. Not a fan of the team life limit, especially if upping difficulty reduces that number further. Having unlimited lives in Helldivers 1 made it easy to laugh off teamkilling and I feel like it was a crucial part of the secret sauce that made the gameplay so fun. Maybe playtesting found you don’t die as much in this game and the cap is pretty roomy, but I’m worried it’s going to make the game really sweaty and a lot of people aren’t going to be chill with accidental friendly fire.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Looks very good!

So from that video we can see that stuff like weather will have an effect on weapon performance

Not totally sure but it looked like at the end of the mission they only had 1 research point extracted, even though they picked up more than that along the way. Seems like you really have to make an effort to survive the entire time if you want those resources.

TheMostFrench fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Feb 3, 2024

Secret Agent Cow
Dec 29, 2010

:dukedog:

Dinosaurs! posted:

I’m coming around on the over the shoulder the camera. Not a fan of the team life limit, especially if upping difficulty reduces that number further. Having unlimited lives in Helldivers 1 made it easy to laugh off teamkilling and I feel like it was a crucial part of the secret sauce that made the gameplay so fun. Maybe playtesting found you don’t die as much in this game and the cap is pretty roomy, but I’m worried it’s going to make the game really sweaty and a lot of people aren’t going to be chill with accidental friendly fire.

From what I understand you still have unlimited lives, it’s just after the first 20 uses you need to wait for a minute cooldown before using it again.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I'm just so excited to steer a drop pod guys

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
no vehicles, especially the mech suit, on release makes me sad. they added a lot of variety

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Secret Agent Cow posted:

From what I understand you still have unlimited lives, it’s just after the first 20 uses you need to wait for a minute cooldown before using it again.

Oh neat that’s fine then

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Captain Beans posted:

no vehicles, especially the mech suit, on release makes me sad. they added a lot of variety

Wasn't all that stuff added gradually to the first game?

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Secret Agent Cow posted:

Yeah I think they've redesigned it to avoid those situations where everyone dies in the first 10 seconds and goes back to HQ

municipal shrimp
Mar 30, 2011

for anyone playing on pc we have a discord set up for everyone to squad up if ya'll want to

https://discord.gg/nvRUV4WkAr

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

Is Helldivers 2 going to include clans? I would love to join a goon one for ps5

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

There hasn't been any sign of colorable armor/capes yet has there? I was really hoping we'd get that sort of customization with the increased level of graphical detail.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The timestamped part in the latest trailer (:24) shows like a second of swapping out different armor

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Raspberry Bang posted:

Is Helldivers 2 going to include clans? I would love to join a goon one for ps5

I thought that Arrowhead mentioned that there's crossplay, so there's no need to keep things isolated?

https://www.pcgamer.com/helldivers-2-confirms-crossplay-and-pleasingly-modest-system-requirements/

At which point you could just join the protocommunity in the discord listed above.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Was really trying not to buy any more games this month because of FF7, but my friends told me about this and it looks pretty rad. I've recently finished playing Aliens Fireteam Elite, so another multiplayer shooter sounds good.

Is this going to have leveling and weapon customization with different scopes and stocks?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Dinosaurs! posted:

it's probably one of those to-3d conceits, as in helldivers one your field of gameplay was pretty narrow, so threats could easily maim you and wiping to defeat was relatively easy. there's no such tethers and you can see out quite a ways, so wipes need another threat.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Open Marriage Night posted:

Was really trying not to buy any more games this month because of FF7, but my friends told me about this and it looks pretty rad. I've recently finished playing Aliens Fireteam Elite, so another multiplayer shooter sounds good.

Is this going to have leveling and weapon customization with different scopes and stocks?

Leveling sort of by unlocking new Strategems (call down abilities) and guns. I’m blanking on whether things were locked behind exp gates or not in the first game.

Weapons customizations almost certainly no.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The first game did have exp unlocks.

A big :thunk: at letting you buy unlocks with real money.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Some discussion of rewards grinding and time/cost expectations.

Edit: this is more clear than whatever I typed
https://steamcommunity.com/app/553850/discussions/0/4206993388794675479/

quote:

# Warbonds, Super Credits, and Superstore FAQ

# Warbonds

**Q. How do the Warbonds work? Is it a pay-to-win model?**
A. The goal with our Warbonds is to provide players with different gameplay experiences, but not unfair advantages when comparing the content.

We designed Warbonds as an optional way to support Super Earth's war effort in the game and get access to additional gear for your Helldiver. Warbonds are unlocked with Super Credits, which can either be discovered at points of interest during missions or purchased through the in-game store. Once you own a Warbond, you can then use Medals you’ve been awarded in-game to unlock more content [Sounds like Medals are an upgrade currency spent within the Warbond]

Warbonds are evergreen, so players are welcome to take their time in unlocking, and we'll be keeping things fresh with future updates containing new Warbonds to choose from.

**Q. How often will new Warbonds be released? Can we preview the content in them?**
A. For right now, Warbonds will be released every second Thursday of the month. Every time a new Warbond is released, you will be able to preview the content, and the Warbonds will never disappear, so you can purchase them or not whenever you want to.

**Q. How many Super Credits does a Warbond cost?**
A. It will depend on the amount of content in the Warbond. For example, the Steeled Veterans Warbond costs 1000 Super Credits.

**Q. If I only want one item from the Warbond, do I still have to pay to get that item?**
A. Yes, you must unlock the Warbond itself before you can spend medals on the items in it.

**Q. Can you progress two Warbonds at the same time?**
A.Yes you can progress your Warbonds any way you choose. If you have 2 Warbonds unlocked you can spend your first 50 medals in Warbond 1 and then switch and spend 50 medals in Warbond 2.

**Q. Can old Warbonds be purchased a year from now? **
A. Warbonds are evergreen, so players are welcome to take their time in unlocking, and we'll be keeping things fresh with future updates containing new Warbonds to choose from.

**Q. Are all the items in the Warbond strictly cosmetic?**
A. No, Some of the items in Warbonds have passive effects attached to them.

**Q. Will progressing through Warbonds separate me from other players?**
A.Nope! You will always be able to play all our content updates with other players who have only bought the base game. All other future updates, for example enemies, environments and missions will be free for everyone who's bought the base game.

**Q. Will Warbonds contain stratagems?**
A. No. New stratagems will be added to the stratagem menu and be unlockable through in-game play. We may add them to Warbonds or SuperStore in the future.

**Q. How much will Warbonds cost in USD?**
A. As Warbonds are all unique and do not always have the same amount of content, the price will vary.

**Q. Can you still earn medals without an active Warbond?**
A. You will always earn medals, no matter if you have outstanding Warbonds, completed Warbonds or no Warbonds

**Q. Is it possible to buy the DLC packs directly? Like buying a Warbond with money and not requiring you to buy the premium currency?**
A. You will not be able to buy the Warbonds directly with real money. You would need to purchase a pack of Super Credits and then buy the Warbond.

# Super Credits

**Q. What's the target earnable SC rate? How long should a player need to play to unlock the things they want?**
A. There are two ways you can earn Super Credits (SC) in HELLDIVERS 2. The first is by progressing through Warbonds, and the second is by finding SC on missions[so it is possible to find super credits in game]. We’ve balanced the game to let you have more than enough SC to get one Warbond for free after you’ve completed HELLDIVERS MOBILIZE, which is the Warbond that comes with the base game.

As for how long it takes to progress through a Warbond, it’s based on what we think is most balanced and fun for players based on our extensive testing. If you unlock items too slow, it can feel grindy, and if it’s too fast, you get overwhelmed.

We hope you will agree that the current balance feels good and fair, and we would love to get your feedback as we continue balancing and improving HELLDIVERS 2 over time.

**Q. There’s only so many Points of Interest to find in levels, so does that mean there’s a finite limit of super credits earned for free? Also, how many credits are earned for each POI?**
A. Each level has a finite number of Super Credits that are obtainable. You can play as many levels as you want though so you can continually obtain Super Credits. The value of Super Credits awarded per PoI is varied.

**Q. Are Super Credit packs on Steam going to be priced according to regional pricing?**
A. Steam handles USD to player regional currency conversion. We will indicate the USD value for each Super Credit package, and Steam will convert it to the equivalent currency value for your account.

**Q. Do higher difficulty missions have more spawns of SC or spawn a larger value of SC.**
A. Higher difficulty missions do not currently spawn more Super Credit (SC).

**Q. Depending on how hungry people are for SC. It might encourage people to leave and start a new map if the SC is already collected if you join in progress.**
A. Super Credits (SC) are not awarded to the players who join after the SC has been found. If players find SC on missions, they will be rewarded instantly. However, if they then leave immediately afterwards, they lose out on all other rewards you get for completing a mission.

# Superstore

**Q. What is the Superstore?**
The Superstore is a place where you can buy individual items. Here you can choose, for example, an individual armor for a small amount of Super Credits (SC).

We are also taking your feedback into account as we build out the Superstore so that we can provide the best possible experience.

**Q. Can the content of the rotating store be purchased outside of the rotating store, or is that the only source for this content?**
A. You will not be able to obtain the items from the Superstore from any other source.

**Q. What's the frequency of the Superstore? **
A: There will be 4 items available at once, and at launch the rotation time is set to be every 48 hours. Items in the Super Store will always come back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uy_sPAdIraw

TheMostFrench fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Feb 5, 2024

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
As someone who's going to only be playing with this friends, I don't really care if some super whale wants to buy a gun that does extra damage somewhere else in the world faster than just grabbing SC via missions.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Yeah like oh nooooo, my teammate spent $600 on a gun that deletes the bug trying to rearrange my limbs, who will answer for this crime??

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Well, I was going to hold off to see what the reviews are, and also get a digital copy, but Currys in the UK has a fiver off if you use the code DIVER15 at checkout, and I had some cashback type stuff, so I've just placed a pre-order for the grand total of £20. I'll definitely get £20 worth of fun from this just by dropping pods on my teammates.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Marx Headroom posted:

Yeah like oh nooooo, my teammate spent $600 on a gun that deletes the bug trying to rearrange my limbs, who will answer for this crime??

After playing years of stuff like Warframe, these whales can decide the development direction of the game

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

TheMostFrench posted:

After playing years of stuff like Warframe, these whales can decide the development direction of the game

Considering warframe's longevity and the fact that it's in a better place than it's ever been I'm ok with that...also I don't think that'll be the case here anymore than it was in the first one where some of the best vehicles were paid dlc.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Every time I read Warframe my brain fills it in as WarHawk. drat I loved that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Can't wait to accidentally shoot my gamer buds in the back of the head and yell "you're blocking my shots" into the mic