Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

It will be nerfed, and Arrowhead will pay...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

BadLlama posted:

Havent timed it but it feels significantly longer on the reload.

LazyMaybe posted:

I did think it felt longer, but I don't want to put that out there without actually measuring.
Followup:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kyn39imiHkE

Regular machinegun's reload is actually slightly faster than stalwart's. Heavy machinegun is indeed the slowest, and is slowed down more than the others by needing to chamber a round on a full reload(as opposed to a partial reload where you don't have to chamber a round due to not fully emptying the last mag). Having to chamber a round on HMG adds over 2 seconds to your reload time, it's otherwise not that much slower than the others.

My measurements(eyeballing it frame by frame at 60 fps, expect minor inaccuracy):
  • Stalwart partial reload: 4 seconds and 24 frames(4.400 seconds)
  • Machinegun partial reload: 4 seconds and 11 frames(4.183 seconds)
  • Heavy machinegun partial reload: 5 seconds and 1 frame(5.016 seconds)
  • Stalwart full reload: 5 seconds and 50 frames(5.833 seconds)
  • Machinegun full reload: 5 seconds and 1 frame(5.016 seconds)
  • Heavy machinegun full reload: 7 seconds and 11 frames(7.183 seconds)

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Mar 29, 2024

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

deep dish peat moss posted:

It seems to have more damage than EAT/RR since it can 1-shot dropships at center mass.

I read this and immediately tried it and it did not work

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

johnny park posted:

He probably didn't notice the guy with the recoilless hitting the engine at the same time.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
That they haven't patched the game ao it generates a need seed on launch is very interesting. Maybe the devs aren't financially incentivized to make the in-game economy run.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
Yeah you have to hit the engines in my experience, the damage seems identical to the EAT/RR.

It's really good and versatile but the charge up time can be brutal, you can spam it a lot more but you're very vulnerable when you do.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
After testing it against bugs too I don't really see it beating the EATs. Clutch hits to charger faces is important.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I'd keep EATs for bugs but use the Quasar for bots. You're kinda forced to trade against them while in cover in any case, as opposed to bugs needing clutch moments and run and gun a lot more.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
It's got infinite range though so you can take stuff out much further away than an EAT can, and it can two shot bile titans. I think I'm gonna run it for bugs for the foreseeable future. Bots I find it less good, but that's mainly because it's not the autocannon.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

thotsky posted:

That they haven't patched the game ao it generates a need seed on launch is very interesting. Maybe the devs aren't financially incentivized to make the in-game economy run.

what does this mean

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I can't see myself ever using an EAT or RR again :shrug: The Quasar only takes about 6 seconds to recharge which in the heat of battle is less time than you'll need to circle back and pick up a second EAT, and it spools up faster than a Charger can charge at you. I haven't had the issues others have mentioned with aim sway when crouched - I think they're just seeing the scope distort from heat, for me it has absolutely zero sway while crouched. It can easily snipe objectives across the map with much more regularity than EAT/RR too. it can shoot like 7x as often as an EAT can to boot.

If anything I'd say it's waaaaaaay better than either EAT or RR against bugs because of shrieker nests and because it's an infinite ammo gun that can close bug holes from infinite range and from weird angles, on top of doing their anti-Charger and anti-Titan job just as well.

johnny park posted:

I saw a video of it happening but I think maybe what's going on is that it has a larger splash zone than EAT/RR and can still hit the engines even when it doesn't directly hit them. This is also why it can close bug holes from weird angles that grenades/other explosives can't. With a grenade you have to get it in the hole, but with the Quasar you just have to hit the interior wall of the hole.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Mar 29, 2024

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Pharmaskittle posted:

what does this mean

The people who make the game should be able to change it so that it is no longer possible to obtain large amounts of super credits quicker than intended. That they have not is puzzling.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

I can't see myself ever using an EAT or RR again :shrug: The Quasar only takes about 6 seconds to recharge which in the heat of battle is less time than you'll need to circle back and pick up a second EAT, and it spools up faster than a Charger can charge at you. I haven't had the issues others have mentioned with aim sway when crouched - I think they're just seeing the scope distort from heat, for me it has absolutely zero sway while crouched. It can easily snipe objectives across the map with much more regularity than EAT/RR too. it can shoot like 7x as often as an EAT can to boot.

If anything I'd say it's waaaaaaay better than either EAT or RR against bugs because of shrieker nests and because it's an infinite ammo gun that can close bug nests.

I'm in the same boat. If a teammate is taking an AC to a bot mission, I am taking the Quasar.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

If anything I'd say it's waaaaaaay better than either EAT or RR against bugs because of shrieker nests and because it's an infinite ammo gun that can close bug holes from infinite range and from weird angles, on top of doing their anti-Charger and anti-Titan job just as well.

thotsky posted:

After testing it against bugs too I don't really see it beating the EATs. Clutch hits to charger faces is important.

Yeah, the big thing if you play a lot of harder difficulty is that the EATs aren't often 70 second cool down, they are 140-ish after modifiers.

Meanwhile the LAS-99 keeps chugging along and gives no shits. That alone totally changes the landscape on some missions.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

thotsky posted:

The people who make the game should be able to change it so that it is no longer possible to obtain large amounts of super credits quicker than intended. That they have not is puzzling.

Gotcha. Yeah it seems like the surprise success story isn't just hype and a lot of the monetization stuff is half baked like everything else

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

BitBasher posted:

Yeah, the big thing if you play a lot of harder difficulty is that the EATs aren't often 70 second cool down, they are 140-ish after modifiers.

I agree that this is a positive for the Quasar, but the charge time is a negative compared to the EAT. I find the overall difference between the two pretty negligable at the moment, but at 7 the EATs do seem stronger.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

thotsky posted:

They're probably more concerned with bugfixing and stability than people grinding for creds. They probably want to scrap it but to be honest it's not fun and it's barely more funbucks/hr than working a minimum wage job and then spending it all on the game

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Okay I tried the Diligence CS because it was the only gun I own that I've never tried, and I think I figured out why it has so many drawbacks: it has a nice zoomed-in scope and crosses the damage threshold that lets it 1 shot devastator heads. Those parts of it are actually quite nice.

If they improved the handling or gave it Slugger/Scorcher armor pen it would have a niche against bots.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Mar 29, 2024

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
At my current pace it doesn't seem like I will finish my warbonds before getting enough supercreds to unlock the next one. Unless you want to buy a ton of stuff from the superstore there doesn't seem to be a point.

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing

Legit Businessman posted:

I have a great map seed that generates 70 credits and ~12 medals a run with a group of 4 in about 80 seconds. Over the last few days off and on with people I made about 3.5k credits and 600 medals. I'm sure they are going to have to do something about this.

what is even the incentive to do this lol, there's not that much stuff to unlock and the game just throws money at you naturally.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

creamcorn posted:

what is even the incentive to do this lol, there's not that much stuff to unlock and the game just throws money at you naturally.

Yeah, that's absolutely true, but there are a ton of medal sinks, the feeling of completionism, and the superstore armors (some of which are only available through the superstore) are a super credit sink as well. Basically, you farm for a little bit, build a nest egg, and then never have to worry about super credits for the rest of the life of the game (as you will continue to get super credits through normal gameplay, like you said), seems like a good exchange for a chill afternoon listening to a podcast. YMMV.

I prefer light armors, so Engineering Kit/Med-Kit/Fortified/Servo-Assisted/Padded Armor are all super credit only, unfortunately. And if you've got those, you might as well get the helmets too, since with a farm you're post scarcity for SC.

At this point, I don't have any further need to farm Super Credits with 5000 in the bank at this point, and it's nice to take that pressure off.

:shrug:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Now that I've tried the HMG I think it would be fine to give it more damage and AP. The thing is so incredibly hard to use if you manage to hit something with it it should die.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

creamcorn posted:

Supercredits only come fast when you're still filling out that first warbond that gives you 750 of them.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Whoever said they fixed the equipment reset bug for PS5 is a filthy and deceitful liar.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

The HMG is definitely not a bot gun; you beat bots with high damage precision shots, not inaccurate spray fire.

The issue with bringing it for bugs though is that the default Machine Gun frankly does a good enough job against everything smaller than a Stalker with much better ammo efficiency.

The gun does indeed pump out an insane amount of damage though. I never played the first game but if the third race has lots of shields that need to be destroyed with sustained fire then I think it will seriously put in work there

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
How is it against Bile Spitters? I can see it being a deece horde-clearance tool against anything smaller than Chargers.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Sindai posted:

Now that I've tried the HMG I think it would be fine to give it more damage and AP. The thing is so incredibly hard to use if you manage to hit something with it it should die.

I saw a hmg shot deflect off a standard bot's shoulder and was like welp, not worth it at all.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The quasar definitely does less damage than the EATs/recoilless. Those can oneshot a bot turret vent. With the quasar it takes one shot and 1 hit from a HMG.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Darth Walrus posted:

So, the Quasar does everything a RR/EAT does, but it's a laser? Has anyone tested it on Shrieker nests and other armoured structures?

does everythign an EAT does but not as well and more likely to get you killed while it charges. no ammo is nice though

HMG is a joke and i really do wonder sometimes if anyone who can make decisions at arrowhead even plays the game. cause what gun is the HMG supposed to even be competing with in my loadout? there is nothing it does that something else does not do better, faster, and easier.

WoodrowSkillson fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Mar 29, 2024

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Darth Walrus posted:

How is it against Bile Spitters? I can see it being a deece horde-clearance tool against anything smaller than Chargers.
Can headshot them just fine, but the machinegun does well enough at that despite not fully penetrating and there's primary slot options for that too.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Eediot Jedi posted:

I saw a hmg shot deflect off a standard bot's shoulder and was like welp, not worth it at all.
I'm guessing this is a product of impact angle because while the Diligence will red X 1 shot a trooper 90% of the time every so often you get a ricochet indicator at long range instead.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Mar 29, 2024

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

thotsky posted:

I agree that this is a positive for the Quasar, but the charge time is a negative compared to the EAT. I find the overall difference between the two pretty negligable at the moment, but at 7 the EATs do seem stronger.

I agree. I feel the Quasar is pretty well balanced actually. Solid, not the best in all situations.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Legit Businessman posted:

I have a great map seed that generates 70 credits and ~12 medals a run with a group of 4 in about 80 seconds. Over the last few days off and on with people I made about 3.5k credits and 600 medals. I'm sure they are going to have to do something about this.

What do people mean when they say stuff like this? I do a fair bit of running Trivials for SC and I just kinda drop into whatever map and run around grabbin stuff.

Closing in on all the super armors in the super shop lmao

e: mb, didn't read the following page before posting, I guess this has been covered. My way is wayyy less efficient, but I always forget to turn off public and so I've had some nice sessions where a couple noobs drop into my game and I show them the crates and maybe take them into a 3 or 4 afterwards and take them through a real game.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Mar 29, 2024

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

BitBasher posted:

I agree. I feel the Quasar is pretty well balanced actually. Solid, not the best in all situations.

the slow fire is just brutal, its gotten me killed so many times, the infinite ammo is nice but its such a process to fire that i can't see why its better than other options

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

I'm loving the Quasar currently. Was loving EATs before it too.

The build up to fire doesnt worry me as it allows me that time to aim more accurately.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Quasar seems really good. It has its downsides, but they feel balanced. I'll probably take it over EAT or recoilless going forward.

I'm fairly sure I one-shot a bile titan through the cheek earlier tonight. I was playing in a duo and my partner didn't have any AT weapons active, so the titan should have been full health. Maybe I missed something happening though.
It is a definite two-hit kill if you hit the head though.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

The Quasar is definitely hard to use against a bile titan chasing you down to step on you.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Oh poo poo, the sickle is my new best friend :swoon:

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Quasar owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
Quasar + Laser dog backpack feels damned good against bugs. One shot from the Quasar on a Charger leg and a few rounds from the Dominator and it's dead. Quasar also closes infinite bug holes. gently caress yeah.