Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

novaSphere posted:

Was your movement completely locked? Usually when this happens you have to crawl back out through the bay door, because it only counts you if you cross that threshold and not if you clip through the hull. This can also happen if you reinforce into the Pelican

Movement was locked but I could still stim my health back. I swear it threw me underneath the ramp.

e: big air for the new page

https://i.imgur.com/FJwYT9p.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

redreader posted:

Anyone else on PC getting dropped during matches a lot, with a "you've lost your internet connection" issue?

Last night I got it twice within 10 minutes. Today I then did a helldive by myself where I lay in a bush for 34 minutes without dropping. I decided to finish the mission and about 3 minutes after I started running around and throwing airstrikes, it disconnected me again.
Yeah I was getting constant disconnects and even a CTD last night.

Vic posted:

Rail Cannon rifle is poo poo and I am not missing anything, right?

I started playing around when they nerfed it so I don't know, and a friend is saying it's still very good but you gotta overcharge it and aim correctly. After hours and hours I am positive he's full of poo poo. I can't find a use case for it.

It used to be really good, got nerfed, and now it's only ok vs bots. There are much better options available.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Is "co-op goons" the right discord for playing with goons? I don't see a whole lot of activity in in the LFG/helldive channels

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

I kinda like the crossbow. It kills striders and devs and also takes out the lil guys without a huge explosion

I’ll play with it some more but I don’t dislike it as much as I thought

After hearing how bad it was supposed to be, I was surprised that it seemed to work just fine. I think people were disappointed that it isn't a demolition or heavy killing tool. It only kills stuff you'd normally use a primary weapon on, and it has a pretty good aoe and rate of fire. It's an alternative to the Punisher Plasma.

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

Fishstick posted:

Is "co-op goons" the right discord for playing with goons? I don't see a whole lot of activity in in the LFG/helldive channels

Right there in the OP My dude - Marvelous is the discord. https://discord.com/invite/fHmzuHSHV8

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Risky Bisquick posted:

Previously railgunning the cheeks would one hit bile titans, maybe try there

I got some cheeks you can rail

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

ponzicar posted:

After hearing how bad it was supposed to be, I was surprised that it seemed to work just fine. I think people were disappointed that it isn't a demolition or heavy killing tool. It only kills stuff you'd normally use a primary weapon on, and it has a pretty good aoe and rate of fire. It's an alternative to the Punisher Plasma.
It kinda got overshadowed by the Eruptor but yeah it's a decent AoE primary for clearing out smaller enemies. I was going to make the Plasma Punisher comparison too because they basically have the same use case.

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

Lobok posted:

I got some cheeks you can rail

Clap em and I'll blast em. With a Recoilless from range, no innuendo here... HOW DARE YOU.

Meet me on discord later, 1am, tell no one.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The jetpack troopers should not set you on fire when they die. They're the worst enemy in the game.

Failed a 7 with goons on comms, which hasn't happened in weeks, because the reinforcement comp was completely berserkers and jetpack troopers for the entire mission. I've never seen anything like it. :psyduck:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

If the Pelican be rockin', don't come a-knockin'.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Fishstick posted:

Once again I have to reiterate what you find by googling the goon discord has changed drastically with the progression of time.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Black Noise posted:

Once again I have to reiterate what you find by googling the goon discord has changed drastically with the progression of time.

What do you mean I can't helldive on the gooning discord

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
come helldive, my lord

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Insert name here posted:

It kinda got overshadowed by the Eruptor but yeah it's a decent AoE primary for clearing out smaller enemies. I was going to make the Plasma Punisher comparison too because they basically have the same use case.

how are the crossbow or p-punisher against spewers? do they have self-damage?

might need to try these out later

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

ZearothK posted:

What do you mean I can't helldive on the gooning discord

This is how I learn what goon means nowadays?

This completely changes my dating strategy

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Sindai posted:

The jetpack troopers should not set you on fire when they die. They're the worst enemy in the game.

Failed a 7 with goons on comms, which hasn't happened in weeks, because the reinforcement comp was completely berserkers and jetpack troopers for the entire mission. I've never seen anything like it. :psyduck:

shoot them in the feet, melee them, or dive away and you won't get hit by the jetpack exploding. you can also explode the jetpack at range

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Diving away while you make the shot is the coolest option

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

ponzicar posted:

It's actually a lot better than people let on? It has a much faster refire time than the Eruptor, still has a considerably large AoE effect for its explosion (much larger than the Plasma Punisher), and will still one-shot Devastators if you hit them in the head (although the arc does make this considerably more challenging). I also find that it is much more reliable at one-shotting Striders for some reason.

I also imagine that for all of the above reasons it is even better against bugs than the Eruptor. The fact that it doesn't have medium armor pen really isn't a problem considering that you can just shoot it past Hive Guard and damage them from behind with the explosion, and the really high single shot damage likely fucks up spewers hard. I like it a lot!

Incidentally, it's really nice that all of the weapons in this pack are actually quite good without any outright stinkers. Managed Democracy at its finest!

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Sindai posted:

Had this happen last weekend but with hunters. Oops, all Hunters! They were probably 75% of all spawns for a while and after the primary objectives popped there was just an ocean of them. So many I couldn't at all keep up with an Arc Cannon, and when I reinforced I. It was just wall to wall. I wish I saved a video. Just white waves of hoppy assholes covering everything.

It was amazing. We won, but failed to extract and it wasn't even close.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Black Noise posted:

I was really disappointed when I learned r/gooncaves wasn’t a subreddit full of groverhaus

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

My only problem with the crossbow is that it has the shortest range of any crossbow I've ever seen in a video game, the bolt starts dropping way too early. It's a fine weapon stats-wise but it feels really bad to use because of that. I was hoping for something like the HL2 crossbow.

Harry Lime
Feb 27, 2008

Got a friend to start playing over the weekend and ran into a fun bug I'd never had happen before. As the pelican was descending I threw the last SEAF artillery strike which just happened to be a mini nuke. I think the blast from the explosion affected the pelican because it landed at an angle and then slowly started to sink into the ground until it was gone. Upside was they got the Job's Done achievement as we entered a race to see who could kill each other quicker to deplete our reinforcements to zero.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

causticBeet posted:

I was really disappointed when I learned r/gooncaves wasn’t a subreddit full of groverhaus

Why is this NSFW? Must be an OSHA joke!

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

ok I just tried Crossbow against bugs and it basically feels like Grenade Launcher Lite there. Pretty good.

e: It has a massive AoE radius that I never noticed using it against bots, one bolt kills ~12 small bugs if you shoot it into a clumped up group of them. I dropped in a mission that was half over and racked up 300 kills in about 12 minutes with nothing but the crossbow. Breaker Incendiary still feels like a better gun against them but I'll add crossbow into my rotation for bugs :shrug:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Apr 17, 2024

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
This is the first game where, even on low settings, my 6800S in my G14 struggles to keep the frames above 30 on planets with a lot of fog. Even at 1080p! The engine also makes the laptop hit 80c with a cooling pad! The game, however, is extremely fun!

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

I had to cap frames early on in nvidia control panel because parts of the game, I feel, weren't respecting the in game frame limit option. You might try that, it solved my heat issues.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

pro tip: go into the graphics options and set Volumetric Fog Quality to Lowest, and you'll excise the awful blinding haze that all lights emit at night

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 17, 2024

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Since when have trash bots taken 2 scorcher hits to kill?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

GruntyThrst posted:

Since when have trash bots taken 2 scorcher hits to kill?
When you miss their head

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
One of my friends swears the Scorcher is good against bots, but I don't see any advantage over the Punisher. The main benefit is being able to kill scout walkers from the front but they're like the least threatening robot. Why is the Scorcher good?

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

I like it because of the scout strider thing but also it’s spammable when you get the chainsaw dudes charging you down.

But last bot mission I played I accidentally brought the Sickle and it ruled so maybe bots are just easy to kill?

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

OGS-Remix posted:

One of my friends swears the Scorcher is good against bots, but I don't see any advantage over the Punisher. The main benefit is being able to kill scout walkers from the front but they're like the least threatening robot. Why is the Scorcher good?

It has a decent answer for just about everything.

You can kill tanks and cannon turrets from the side/top using splash damage without a direct LOS on their weak spot and kill light tanks head-on by splashing the very top of their turret. Its not great at killing gunships but can do so with nose/underside shots. It’s not the best devastator killer either but can do what it does at pretty long range. You need to weak spot hulks but it does it pretty quick.

causticBeet fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Apr 17, 2024

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

OGS-Remix posted:

It has good handling; one or two hits raiders and striders, can kill Devs in half a mag and gunships in about a mag if you hit every shot. It's easily the best gun for shooting hulks and turret weakpoints even if it does less damage, it's very easy to repeatedly hit one.

It's just a solid overall pick and it's only real weakness is running out of ammo.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

OGS-Remix posted:

Range is the biggest advantage. You can click on raiders from way further away than with a shotgun.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Hwurmp posted:

pro tip: go into the graphics options and set Volumetric Fog Quality to Lowest, and you'll excise the awful blinding haze that all lights emit at night

This is Un-Democratic! If able you must endure the hardship of foggy lighting!

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

deep dish peat moss posted:

ok I just tried Crossbow against bugs and it basically feels like Grenade Launcher Lite there. Pretty good.

e: It has a massive AoE radius that I never noticed using it against bots, one bolt kills ~12 small bugs if you shoot it into a clumped up group of them. I dropped in a mission that was half over and racked up 300 kills in about 12 minutes with nothing but the crossbow. Breaker Incendiary still feels like a better gun against them but I'll add crossbow into my rotation for bugs :shrug:

Yeah crossbow good against bugs.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

causticBeet posted:

Never been so disappointed to see a fat guy with his small penis out in front of a computer monitor and RGB keyboard. And yes my monitor is off.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
The spear would be so good if it could just loving lock

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

ZeusCannon posted:

The spear would be so good if it could just loving lock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIFM401niIo

TLDW: you need to move to where the spear can see the entire shape of what you're targeting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I watched that video and it helped me figure out some of the spear problems

The target computer is stupid and is just visually comparing a picture to get the lock. So if you can't lock onto something getting higher helps or moving to get a better and more complete angle.

Vision obstruction also obstructs the targeting computer

Its niche is less direct fire against tanks and hulks and more long range base clearance and taking down gunships, I haven't tried it against titans

Basically it's a weapon you really want to be using from longer range with clear sight lines. If you want to shoot a tank use an eat