Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

That's really not true, I've had the spear lock onto things I didn't even know were there because they were so obscured. As far as I can tell the tips and tricks people spread are like the old Pokemon rumors about getting Mew and poo poo. It's really just broken lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

If you hold the b button down, the spear has an 11% higher chance of lock on.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Yeah that poo poo ain't true, it is probably mostly true but poo poo still doesn't work right. I've had plenty of times I have the high ground, have the complete target in view with no obstructions and it simply refuses to lock.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
If you search under the truck next to the SS Anne you can find a Spear the locks on consistently.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I think it's all speculation but having tried it last night elevation absolutely helps you lock on to stuff. Not saying it'll lock onto the thing you want it to but if you're getting nothing it seems like climbing up a hill or something will produce better results.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

what are the best primaries against armored spewers?

i know eruptor can dumpster these guys. i tried crossbow and plasma punisher and they were extremely disappointing. anything with bullets is gonna struggle. i tried dominator a week ago and i recall it being not great, but doable. are the scorcher or slugger any good?

trying to come up with a complementary primary for the flamethrower cause that struggles against spewers since you need to get close and thats dangerous. would rather not use the eruptor cause ive been using it for everything and i want to branch out a bit

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

me, watching all the Spear struggles whilst loading my autocannon:

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
Anyone else find the odd bot that follows you and talks to you and never fires a shot? I've had it twice where one will follow me around for a bit until I get too far away from his camp and he'll head back.

Not sure if it's a bug or what. He doesn't reciprocate any hug attempts though.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

johnny park posted:

That's really not true, I've had the spear lock onto things I didn't even know were there because they were so obscured. As far as I can tell the tips and tricks people spread are like the old Pokemon rumors about getting Mew and poo poo. It's really just broken lol
The devs have even acknowledged the Spear's inconsistent locking as an issue so it's always hilarious to see someone say all you need to do is this one small trick (source: they made it the gently caress up) to get the Spear to work.

My random speculation with nothing to back it up is that I wonder if it might be a server or host issue, which would explain why it seems to randomly work perfectly fine some days (see also: Strider pilots surviving me AMRing the leg off a strider; they either all survive or none of them survive randomly on a per mission basis).

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

ErKeL posted:

Anyone else find the odd bot that follows you and talks to you and never fires a shot? I've had it twice where one will follow me around for a bit until I get too far away from his camp and he'll head back.

no but i like to shoot the chainsaw arms off of a group of beserkers and have them follow me around for shits n giggles

unfortunately they can still stomp you to death so they arent the chill brobots i ideally want

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

ErKeL posted:

did you forget to shoot any alien or robot that attempts to speak to you

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

OGS-Remix posted:

One of my friends swears the Scorcher is good against bots, but I don't see any advantage over the Punisher. The main benefit is being able to kill scout walkers from the front but they're like the least threatening robot. Why is the Scorcher good?
because scout walkers aren't the least threatening robot, their shots hit like twice as hard as normal robot lasers and unless you have a good flank opportunity only some weapons kill them well + economically.
Surprised you'd list the punisher when it has big range issues vs bots and is only really useful for staggering devastators at close range, while being quite poor at killing groups of raiders shooting at you from a distance.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Breaker and avoid the armor. Although loading into the ... spewer ... mouth ... thing... also works.

In other news, I did unlock Impossible, and you guys are right. Once you get used to tactics and load outs that work for you, the higher difficulties aren't that much harder.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
The scorcher is so good you don't even need a support weapon if you bring a supply pack. There's no target it can't handle that you shouldn't be using an eagle or orbital for anyway. The only bot unit it can't kill is... Fabs. Maybe the ATAT? I can't remember if it can kill mortars and AA but everything else it's golden.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

i know eruptor can dumpster these guys. i tried crossbow and plasma punisher and they were extremely disappointing. anything with bullets is gonna struggle. i tried dominator a week ago and i recall it being not great, but doable. are the scorcher or slugger any good?

trying to come up with a complementary primary for the flamethrower cause that struggles against spewers since you need to get close and thats dangerous. would rather not use the eruptor cause ive been using it for everything and i want to branch out a bit
Anything that's explosive or AP can work. The important thing is that your target area changes depending on the weapon you're using.

With non-AP explosives you want to hit the fleshy green sides, which can be tricky if they're coming at you. With non-explosive AP you want to hit the head, which can be tricky if they're going for someone else.

Dominator is probably the best overall for shooting the head, eruptor or scorcher for shooting the sides.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

The scorcher is so good you don't even need a support weapon if you bring a supply pack. There's no target it can't handle that you shouldn't be using an eagle or orbital for anyway. The only bot unit it can't kill is... Fabs. Maybe the ATAT? I can't remember if it can kill mortars and AA but everything else it's golden.

It can't kill a base turret that's 150 meters away and neither will your orbital railgun or 500kg bomb

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

Maybe my playstyle just doesn't fit with the Scorcher then. I almost never engage groups of bots at range, if I get aggro I find cover and look to flank. I've found bots will hone in on your last position so if you just move a bit, they'll all happily walk into range and the Punisher can one-shot or two-shot every bot with a headshot except Hulks. The scorcher took too many shots to take out and it has splash damage which hurts at close range.

Similarly I'm :psyduck: at scout walkers being dangerous. They'll absolutely just walk around a blind corner and you can walk around and tap the pilot once. Out of all the bots, I'm certain I've been killed by scout walkers the least. Well maybe the melee bots is the least.

I guess being able to kill hulks/tanks with explosive primary is a plus, but that's what a RR/Quasar/strategem is for.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
All the spear is doing is checking for occlusion to specified hitboxes, this is why you can only lock onto fabs if the front door hitbox is in "view", typically meaning above the ground from your angle. Trees will also block LOS. This is also why a hulk waddling around perpendicular to you will have a long back and forth lock time. Other hitboxes are blocking your line to the hitbox the spear needs for the full 1.5s or whatever it is.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

turn off the TV posted:

It can't kill a base turret that's 150 meters away and neither will your orbital railgun or 500kg bomb

Yeah it can, so long as it's not pointing directly at you. You can splash the back corner.

Bonus, one rocket+one scorcher shot to the vent drops them, if you see a teammate shoot their dumb quasar that can't seal the deal for another 12 seconds.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Scout Walkers aren't dangerous until one day they decide to end the charade and shoot you in the head, killing you instantly.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Impact Grenades :colbert:

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

ZeusCannon posted:

Impact Grenades :colbert:

i would like to be able to take out more than 2-4 spewers per resupply box, same reason im not too impressed with the grenade pistol. you cant even fill that pistol from empty with a full resupply

not to say that impacts arent fantastic, just not what im looking for in certain loadouts

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Eruptor and dominator are both good against spewers. Dominator can kill the armored spewers somewhat faster with some headshots compared to eruptor, but eruptor is probably a bit better against the unarmored ones.

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

ErKeL posted:

Yes but in my case he was also invincible, which makes me think it's a desync bug or something.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Is there any sweeter sight?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Yeah, if one or more of them hit the rare chance to drop 100 creds

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

As with most problems in this game, the solution is a quasar blast to the face.*

*the quasar counts as a primary if you use it enough

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
Ah once again, despite my friend being online I can't see him as friend online in game, nor can I join on him through steam

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

FeculentWizardTits posted:

As with most problems in this game, the solution is a quasar blast to the face.*

*the quasar counts as a primary if you use it enough
1 bile spewer has been killed. 7 more are walking over the ridge towards you

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

The Fattest PI posted:

Ah once again, despite my friend being online I can't see him as friend online in game, nor can I join on him through steam

The answer to this that I have seen work is for you or him or both to quit the game and start up again

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

LazyMaybe posted:

Sounds like you have the next 70 seconds of your life planned out for you

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

LazyMaybe posted:

> throw arc

https://i.imgur.com/ra8teNz.mp4

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

does anyone know if the eruptor got changed so they can't take down stalker nests? edit: or if they never could

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Strong Sauce posted:

does anyone know if the eruptor got changed so they can't take down stalker nests? edit: or if they never could

The erupter can close nests, it can close stalker nests.

The holes aren't any different.

Edit: I've literally used the grenade pistol to close a stalker nest. Can't say I've done that with the eruptor, though, but I'm sure it can happen.

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Apr 18, 2024

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

i get that armor deflected your shot icon when i shoot at it. i'm pretty sure ive done it before as well but i just tried and it didn't go down even after a clip (or2 )

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Strong Sauce posted:

i get that armor deflected your shot icon when i shoot at it. i'm pretty sure ive done it before as well but i just tried and it didn't go down even after a clip (or2 )

Are you thinking of shriekers tower tree and not stalkers? I closed a stalker bug hole today with Eruptor.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

ah drat i meant shriekers. the mushroom nest flying dudes. drat all these names!

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Strong Sauce posted:

Shriekers, the flying assholes, those nests require explosive support weapons like eats or queso cannon.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Strong Sauce posted:

Just ran a mission to test this and it was able to close two stalker holes without issue.

e: Shriekers I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Strong Sauce posted:

ah drat i meant shriekers. the mushroom nest flying dudes. drat all these names!

You can tell that they're shriekers by the fact that they make almost no noise