Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Saraiguma posted:

bc of the (justified tbh) tiny amount of casualties from shooting down drop ships and the charger density I'd argue quasar is the worst anti armor weapon in the game and it's only bolstered in use by people who don't want to track armor and only want those 1/500 mlg pro killcams

🤡🤡🤡

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Sagebrush posted:

With the autocannon you can pop off four shots as quickly as you can aim, though. No need to call in the EAT or pick it up or wait for its animation, and seconds matter once the gunships are in the air. Plus you have six more shots without reloading should you miss.

EAT is great on bug planets (one callin to kill three chargers!) but I don't bother with it on bot planets.

EATs are still great on bot planets if your primary is the scorcher since you can swat dropships out of the sky. When anyone misses killing a commissar before they flare I drop an EAT and blow up the first two dropships and that basically neutralizes the drop. As annoying as bots are, it does kinda feel like you can manage their call-ins better. You can't really do anything to just drop a bug breach dead in its tracks- you can hit the breach with stratagems to kill the stuff that pours out but you can't do the equivalent of blowing up a bot drop- like sealing the breach with a 500KG bomb or something

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Reiley posted:

(bravely) I think the autocannon being too good at everything makes it less fun to take.

if you think the autocanon is too good at everything then you probably haven't used the other strategem and weapon combos enough. try out the scorcher+eat (and/or quasar)+ammo pack or the erupter+laser canon. both of those set ups cover most or all of the same bases while excelling in others

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
orbital airburst specifically is the closest you can get; the delayed volleys will usually last long enough for most or all of a breach to spawn and die except the chargers

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

turn off the TV posted:

if you think the autocanon is too good at everything then you probably haven't used the other strategem and weapon combos enough. try out the scorcher+eat (and/or quasar)+ammo pack or the erupter+laser canon. both of those set ups cover most or all of the same bases while excelling in others

I'm saying a single weapon isn't as fun because it does everything well, these are pairs of weapons being offered as comparable amounts of coverage, which I think underscores what I'm feeling about it pretty neatly.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

Ravenfood posted:

The airburst launcher isn't an anti-air weapon. It's a cluster bomb.

The Autocannon (and probably laser but I haven't tried, just watching when allies bring it) are both a ton better against gunships than the Quasar.

Words cannot describe just how well the laser cannon does on gunships. I think it's the lack of projectile travel time that really seals it.

https://i.imgur.com/Tci4BI8.mp4

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Reiley posted:

I'm saying a single weapon isn't as fun because it does everything well, these are pairs of weapons being offered as comparable amounts of coverage, which I think underscores what I'm feeling about it pretty neatly.

they are pairs of weapons that can do almost everything or everything the auto canon can whle being dramatically better than it in fairly important ways, which seems fine from a balance perspective.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
What are the thoughts on the recoilless rifle? I just started playing this and it seems real good so far, if a little slow between shots.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Away all Goats posted:

Honestly the red zone drop doesn't bother me as much as people like that who quit at the first sign of trouble, especially when they join a 8+. Sometimes poo poo goes sideways through a snowball of errors and now you're on the other side of the map with no equipment. Salvaging missions like that is fun.
i had a great game last night where we dropped directly on top of a double gunship fab, and my team fell back, coordinated to get their support weapons, and thinned out the gunships and chaff while I remained and planted the hellbombs necessary to drop it.

We had a death or two from the immediate drop, but everyone kept a cool head and stuck around to get poo poo done. One guy said over voice "i just gotta log out after that, im not topping it."

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

I just toss an orbital laser when I emerge from the landing pod.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

What are the thoughts on the recoilless rifle? I just started playing this and it seems real good so far, if a little slow between shots.

Decent weapon, I used to run it consistently but mostly switched over to the Autocannon. AC has a lot more ammo and is better for clearing out large amounts of mid-armor enemies like Devastators, recoilless has low ammo and a long reload time but offers some utility the AC lacks like shooting down dropships and blasting Bile Titans in the face. AC is more methodical, RR is about quickly killing a high value target.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

RR vs Quasar vs EAT seems entirely personal preference and whether or not you want another support weapon or backpack.

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

Pshh if you think the autocannon is good. Just pshh

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Warbadger posted:

...The quasar remains the best (and really the only really effective?) anti-gunship weapon...

My problem is if it's night time when shooting the laser cannon at any real distance it totally washes out the reticle and I can't tell where the thing is hitting at all. I can't see if I'm hitting the gunship engine or not.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

space uncle posted:

Even if you shoot the light (nose/body) it takes 4 hits I think, so you can down two in a single clip and reload.

Quasar/EAT are not good against gunships, if you’re the Anti Armor guy on your team and if someone has Laser Cannon / Autocannon - you are now the Hellbomb guy and they need to cover you.

Quasar is great against gunships, imo. It doesn't really take very long to recharge, you can hide behind cover between shots, and when supporting your team you can knock them down at extremely long range trivially due to the lack of projectile drop, high speed, and lack of need to shoot for weakpoints. If it's really an issue of gunship volume you can also drop a second quasar a few minutes into the match, allowing you to rotate quasars for rapid(ish) fire. I'd also say for most cases you only need to knock down one gunship - I usually just shoot one down and use the tower for LOS against the second while setting up the hellbomb and/or setting up a shot on the second. In general gunships aren't a huge deal unless I get a double tower with no team support or the map flavor is "shield devastators with miraculous headshot hoses".

I don't like the EATs against gunships for much the same reason I don't like them against the laser turret towers - you don't really have the ability to snipe gunships with impunity at long range due to their projectile arc and slower speed.

I won't discount the autocannon being good against gunships, though. I don't run it often myself as it's a super common pick for randoms and I like my shield - but I play a lot of games and I really haven't seen anybody shooting them down with autocannons reliably.

The RR is just like having an EAT on your back except you won't be able to rapid fire 2/3 of them from a call-in pod, won't be able to stockpile them for your team, won't be able to move while reloading, and won't be able to carry a backpack around with it equipped. In the time you reloaded it (team reload simply never happens) you could have fired your first EAT and dropped a pair of new ones to rapid fire while moving and shooting stuff with your primary. Or spent that time moving and killing poo poo with your Quasar on your back almost ready for another shot. The one upside to the RR is you don't need to wait as long to fire one after switching weapons, so you can kinda snapshot around corners on your first peek (the others require time to deploy/charge before peeking).

I tried making it work for a while because it's a cool looking and sounding weapon but at this point it's the only anti-armor weapon I'd really call bad.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Apr 28, 2024

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The RR is great. You're not chained to a calldown to get more than 1 shot per minute, can fire immediately after switching weapons, and can actually see what you're aiming at in first person at long range.

All 3 of the heavy weapons have their strengths and weaknesses and some people have strong personal preferences for different ones, which is a sign of good balance. Try all three of them.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

the autocannon is legitimately too good against bots. its awesome against every target. it was at launch, its a top performer against gunships, and its somehow the best gun at killing the Factory Strider.

the only weaknesses it has are tanks and cannon turrets at long range, and no weapon is actually good in that scenario. (maybe if they fix the spear.) and that weakness is easily patched by 110mm eagle strike.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

the only weaknesses it has are tanks and cannon turrets at long range, and no weapon is actually good in that scenario.

queso cannon is perfect for this tho. especially if it's in eruptor range, one weakspot hit with the eruptor is enough to guarantee a one shot kill with the quasar.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

My favorite bot loadout is Sickle / Spear / Senator / Impacts, it can do everything in a pinch but each part has a clear threshold where it's not useful, and has a degree of wrangling needed to make it work good. The Sickle could definitely stand to lose like, five of its six spare heat sinks, though. It's really easy to just hose 'em down and then pop the new sink in a pinch, and then do it again.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

the only weaknesses it has are tanks and cannon turrets at long range, and no weapon is actually good in that scenario. (maybe if they fix the spear.) and that weakness is easily patched by 110mm eagle strike.

Only clear downside is that shooting hulks in the eye has to be relatively precise for it to count. You can 2-shot them but it often requires taking first-person shots and letting them get closer than I would like. It can still hit at 100m or so but the shots tend to bounce off even if they look like they're dead on.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

The RR is great achtshually

people making it sound like it takes 70 seconds to reload :v

EATs certainly have the advantage of not taking up a backpack slot and being easy to use with any other support weapon. And being able to fire off two back to back is excellent but you still have to call them down and wait for them to drop. This is a tiny amount of time, sure, but might be longer than it takes a Quasar to charge up and fire.

The real advantage of the RR is that you can snap fire it faster than the other anti tank options. It does have a stationary reload but you still fire faster than the Quasar and before an EAT drop can come down. In practice, when I'm standing next to someone with a Quasar and we're shooting down shrieker nests from afar, the RR gets about three or four shots to every two from the Quasar. If you shoulder and ads the RR and an EAT at the same time the RR fires first. It's literal only downsides are requiring a backpack slot, having a stationary reload that you definitely feel but is honestly easy to sneak in behind cover or between charger charges, and having bullet drop at extreme range.

It's the snappiest quickest firing AT option when you want a rocket shot Right Now with no delay, and the best when you want more than two at range.

All of which is to say whichever of the three anti tank options you like more is extremely up to preference, they're the best balanced things in the game imo.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

queso cannon is perfect for this tho

Doesn't a turret spin too fast to get the second shot off? Or can you hit the back corner and it will still count splash damage against the weak point?

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Sindai posted:

The RR is great. You're not chained to a calldown to get more than 1 shot per minute, can fire immediately after switching weapons, and can actually see what you're aiming at in first person at long range.

All 3 of the heavy weapons have their strengths and weaknesses and some people have strong personal preferences for different ones, which is a sign of good balance. Try all three of them.

Eh, I haven't seen anyone using the RR at difficulty 7-9 for at least a couple weeks. People gravitate to the better options - the RR/Quasar/Autocannon are taken in almost every game for a reason. Railguns are also very rare these days, but I've at least seen a couple.

Lobok posted:

Doesn't a turret spin too fast to get the second shot off? Or can you hit the back corner and it will still count splash damage against the weak point?

If you see the vent you shoot it with the Quasar once, then switch weapons and immediately fire the Eruptor or dominator into the vent for the kill.

If you're looking at the front of the turret/tank you just hit it once, hide behind cover, then pop out a second before your second shot goes off to get the kill.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Apr 28, 2024

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Lobok posted:

you can hit the back corner with the eruptor, it's quite generous. if all else fails, you can just hit it with the queso and take cover while you wait for the recharge anyway, it's not a huge deal.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Lobok posted:

Queso Cannon damages cannon turrets from any angle. Two shots kills them.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

queso cannon is perfect for this tho.

I really want some sort of liquid nacho cheese gun now. Maybe an acid sprayer?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

you can hit the back corner with the eruptor, it's quite generous. if all else fails, you can just hit it with the queso and take cover while you wait for the recharge anyway, it's not a huge deal.

I quoted you before you added in the Eruptor part but I didn't know this

Legit Businessman posted:

Queso Cannon damages cannon turrets from any angle. Two shots kills them.

anyway so it's a moot point.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014
proned autocannon can 3 shot them at 300m pretty easily

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Sindai posted:

this is the big part, the EAT you have to extend, the quasar has to charge up, but the RR can just quickswap annihilate a charger.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Lookin like Major Order will fail, as there's basically no way to get to Choohe in time.

Menkent is at 50%, but only has 13k Divers on it - as noone wants to do Fire Tornadoes
Chort Bay is at 25% with 62k Divers.

Either is needed to get to Choohe.
16 hours left on Major Order.

:rip:

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Quicksilver6 posted:

the acid sprayer in HD1 was hilariously bad, maybe it can get some redemption in 2.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Quicksilver6 posted:

i choose to believe the quasar cannon functions by using a gravity generator to condense a piece of alsatian muenster into near criticality before launching it at the target.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Saraiguma posted:

proned autocannon can 3 shot them at 300m pretty easily

if you have an angle where you can hit them in the vent, which you won't in a lot of cases. RR/EAT/QC have a big advantage in that they can destroy turrets/tanks/hulks/dogs without being remotely as reliant on positioning.

Aeble
Oct 21, 2010

Tried my first Blitz mission... And my group lands in a part of the map that is physically walled off from all the bits with the actually automaton bases. Not a good time.

Eventually I tried running around, got branded a traitor, and made it back in, but it course we couldn't do it at that point.

Another fun time was had when my friend tried the airburst launcher (while we're waiting for extraction at the end of a smooth mission) and kills us all with the rebounding projectile. While I was holding an armed 380mm artillery strategen, which then triggered while the Pelican was landing and chain killed us. The kicker: extraction was bugged and nothing happened when we huddled inside while the world turned to poo poo

Bishop Beo
Jul 3, 2009
I’ve been playing with a couple buddies and we’ve basically got difficulty 7 against bots locked down.

Against bugs, however, we absolutely fold if we get hit by too many chargers/bile titans at once. I usually rock EAT and the other two guys take Quasar or grenade launcher but there’s times we just absolutely cannot keep up. We try to run but the bugs move way faster than the bots so that has mixed results.

Are there any other support weapons or stratagems we should look at? We usually have a mix of lasers/rail cannons/500kgs but actually hitting a BT with a 500kg is pretty dicey and the other two stratagems seem kinda mid against them.

I realize we are also not very good at this game lol.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Bishop Beo posted:

I’ve been playing with a couple buddies and we’ve basically got difficulty 7 against bots locked down.

Against bugs, however, we absolutely fold if we get hit by too many chargers/bile titans at once. I usually rock EAT and the other two guys take Quasar or grenade launcher but there’s times we just absolutely cannot keep up. We try to run but the bugs move way faster than the bots so that has mixed results.

Are there any other support weapons or stratagems we should look at? We usually have a mix of lasers/rail cannons/500kgs but actually hitting a BT with a 500kg is pretty dicey and the other two stratagems seem kinda mid against them.

I realize we are also not very good at this game lol.

If you can coordinate, team-reloading a recoilless rifle or spear is arguably the most reliable way to kill a bile titan. Other than that, if you're struggling with the 500, you can use the 110 mm rocket pods. They'll do less damage but they have similar auto-targeting to the railcannon. But make no mistake, there's no trick to it. Bile titans just have a fuckload of HP

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Nope. If you've only got 3 people I might seriously consider just bringing all anti-tank weaponry and skipping the GL unless you're also getting wrecked by hordes. Alternatively you could have someone bring both the GL and EATs.

Stun grenades also make shooting a charger a lot easier if you're struggling to one-shot them which means you can save your 500kgs and railcannon for the titans. 500kgs can one shot them, but your aim has to be on point, so having some AT weapons to finish can help. Lasers are pretty middling against bugs, imo, and I'd look elsewhere.

Airstrike can do a number on the titans iirc, and 110mm rocket pods might be a viable alternative to 500kgs if you're whiffing a lot. They can't oneshot but will do some more reliable damage.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/dVAzYc4.mp4

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

I love this game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

:dunkedon: