Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Bishop Beo posted:

I’ve been playing with a couple buddies and we’ve basically got difficulty 7 against bots locked down.

Against bugs, however, we absolutely fold if we get hit by too many chargers/bile titans at once. I usually rock EAT and the other two guys take Quasar or grenade launcher but there’s times we just absolutely cannot keep up. We try to run but the bugs move way faster than the bots so that has mixed results.

Are there any other support weapons or stratagems we should look at? We usually have a mix of lasers/rail cannons/500kgs but actually hitting a BT with a 500kg is pretty dicey and the other two stratagems seem kinda mid against them.

I realize we are also not very good at this game lol.

You can throw the 500kg at the bile titan and then run next to them so they stop walking and try to stomp you (just keep sprinting and they will miss). Then dive when the 500 is about to go off. This method is very reliable to kill the BT but requires good control of the smaller bugs beforehand so they don't gently caress you up.

Also flamethrower is great for chargers. Just shoot them in any of their legs for 4 seconds and they die, no matter the angle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Orbital Rail Gun is just a cheat code for tanks and titans. You don't have to stick it, it'll auto target the biggest threat in an area. It's not an AOE though, so 500kg is a little more versatile.

Been really enjoying laser cannon for bots, just eats everything including tanks if you get behind them or climb on them, which is less risky than it sounds with personal shield and the cheat death armor.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Apparently 24 weapons/strategems are gonna get balance touches in the next patch. Excited for the meta to shake up. The current state of the game is good enough with enough toys that i don't think they can pull a railgun nerf again where you have a miserable week of games until they fix the "systemic" issues that made the railgun used in the first place. Like if they nerfed the quaso for some reason I'd happily start EATin. If they buffed RR I'd love to run it more. Etc.

Games in a pretty good spot, mostly hoping for buffs to some of the primaries.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
They also said the only nerfs in those changes are to ammo count. I'd wager the Eruptor and maybe Sickle are getting hit there.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

And he's good!

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

FunkyFjord posted:

The RR is great achtshually

people making it sound like it takes 70 seconds to reload :v

EATs certainly have the advantage of not taking up a backpack slot and being easy to use with any other support weapon. And being able to fire off two back to back is excellent but you still have to call them down and wait for them to drop. This is a tiny amount of time, sure, but might be longer than it takes a Quasar to charge up and fire.

The real advantage of the RR is that you can snap fire it faster than the other anti tank options. It does have a stationary reload but you still fire faster than the Quasar and before an EAT drop can come down. In practice, when I'm standing next to someone with a Quasar and we're shooting down shrieker nests from afar, the RR gets about three or four shots to every two from the Quasar. If you shoulder and ads the RR and an EAT at the same time the RR fires first. It's literal only downsides are requiring a backpack slot, having a stationary reload that you definitely feel but is honestly easy to sneak in behind cover or between charger charges, and having bullet drop at extreme range.

It's the snappiest quickest firing AT option when you want a rocket shot Right Now with no delay, and the best when you want more than two at range.

All of which is to say whichever of the three anti tank options you like more is extremely up to preference, they're the best balanced things in the game imo.
I'd say that RR really has the most "It Just Works" factor because it's the AT option with the least amount of gimmicks and eccentricities tied to it, and I think that's pretty undervalued. Also people dog on the reload a lot but really you're choosing between if you want to charge before shooting (quasar) or charge after shooting (RR).

Aeble
Oct 21, 2010

Infinitum posted:

Lookin like Major Order will fail, as there's basically no way to get to Choohe in time.

Menkent is at 50%, but only has 13k Divers on it - as noone wants to do Fire Tornadoes
Chort Bay is at 25% with 62k Divers.

Either is needed to get to Choohe.
16 hours left on Major Order.

:rip:

Didn't the whole thing finish? I was playing this afternoon and the game wouldn't let us select either of the major order planets anymore.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Jerkface posted:

Apparently 24 weapons/strategems are gonna get balance touches in the next patch. Excited for the meta to shake up. The current state of the game is good enough with enough toys that i don't think they can pull a railgun nerf again where you have a miserable week of games until they fix the "systemic" issues that made the railgun used in the first place. Like if they nerfed the quaso for some reason I'd happily start EATin. If they buffed RR I'd love to run it more. Etc.

Games in a pretty good spot, mostly hoping for buffs to some of the primaries.
Only nerfs are a few ammo nerfs (probably for things like eruptor/sickle), but the rest are buffs, according to their discord.

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009

Aeble posted:

Tried my first Blitz mission... And my group lands in a part of the map that is physically walled off from all the bits with the actually automaton bases. Not a good time.

Eventually I tried running around, got branded a traitor, and made it back in, but it course we couldn't do it at that point.

Another fun time was had when my friend tried the airburst launcher (while we're waiting for extraction at the end of a smooth mission) and kills us all with the rebounding projectile. While I was holding an armed 380mm artillery strategen, which then triggered while the Pelican was landing and chain killed us. The kicker: extraction was bugged and nothing happened when we huddled inside while the world turned to poo poo

I've seen the extraction bug happen a few times now, and it's always been when the pelican takes a lot of heavy friendly fire - like from an eagle airstrike, repeated arc thrower shots, and a 380mm.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Aeble posted:

Didn't the whole thing finish? I was playing this afternoon and the game wouldn't let us select either of the major order planets anymore.

Menkent and Chort Bay are the 2 on the right.
Choohe is the circle on the left.

We can't get to Choohe without claiming victory in either of the 2 on the right; we're blocked by supply lines.
There's not enough time left to get to Choohe.
The Major Order requires both Choohe AND Penta.

Everyone has access to the Airburst Rocket Launcher to purchase now, as we liberated Penta.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Sestze posted:

Only nerfs are a few ammo nerfs (probably for things like eruptor/sickle), but the rest are buffs, according to their discord.

Sindai posted:

They also said the only nerfs in those changes are to ammo count. I'd wager the Eruptor and maybe Sickle are getting hit there.

Freedom Up 🙏

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Apr 28, 2024

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Insert name here posted:

Also people dog on the reload a lot but really you're choosing between if you want to charge before shooting (quasar) or charge after shooting (RR).

True, you can definitely look at it like that but keep in mind there's still the difference of being able to move while charging with the quasar vs having to stop and take a knee to do so with the RR

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

True, you can definitely look at it like that but keep in mind there's still the difference of being able to move while charging with the quasar vs having to stop and take a knee to do so with the RR

But you can take a snapshot on the run with the RR while you have to slow down and aim for a second with the quasar.

This is why they're all so nicely balanced!

Ouroboros
Apr 23, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

But you can take a snapshot on the run with the RR while you have to slow down and aim for a second with the quasar.

This is why they're all so nicely balanced!

I think they would be nicely balanced if the RR didn't take up a backpack slot, that's too good to pass up on imo.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

runchild posted:

I’ve only had to mute someone for background noise once. Honestly I expected more since I thought PS5 controllers had built-in mics that were on by default. Mostly it’s just silence, I feel like people on mic are pretty rare in most games these days. It’s a far cry from a decade ago where you had 12 year olds saying racist slurs every other game.

So mostly I rely on the in-game callouts. Still kind of hard to keep track of who’s saying what though, cause of the voice changing every death. It’s a very funny and clever detail, but kind of confusing.

Those 12 year olds are now 22 year olds and have grown up a little.

Or they're all playing fortnight or something and we'll never see them again.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
They could take out every ICE but one for the sickle and halve the mags the eruptor has and it wouldn't really change how I use them. If they buff the mags on the scorcher I might actually use it sometimes. Will be interesting to see if marksman rifles are no longer useless. Hope this patch is coming tomorrow.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The scorcher feels like how the marksman rifles should which is really funny

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Surprise Redeemer with a smaller clip

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

I really don't mind the RR taking a backpack slot because it's rare that I would want to dedicate two stratagems to equipment anyways. I usually either take a support weapon with a backpack, or just a backpack and get a support weapon from a teammate or from the field. I want my stratagem slots open for airstrikes/shields/sentries/etc

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Infinitum posted:

Menkent is at 50%, but only has 13k Divers on it - as noone wants to do Fire Tornadoes

The devs really need to address this. Fire tornados basically equates to "you know what, the bugs/bots can have this shithole." Maybe if the storms didn't last an eternity and didn't stew over the objectives/extraction players would be willing to risk it.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Black Noise posted:

Surprise Redeemer with a smaller clip

I will scream.

Remove semi auto from it and its good, I think.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Horace Kinch posted:

The devs really need to address this. Fire tornados basically equates to "you know what, the bugs/bots can have this shithole." Maybe if the storms didn't last an eternity and didn't stew over the objectives/extraction players would be willing to risk it.

Once they have a solution to 'Fire touches you = near instant death' they'll become less of an issue, but it's still a dog-poo poo hazard regardless.

Been several times I've just been straight cut off from objectives or getting back to the square as there's 2-3 tornadoes dropping impassable bullshit for over a minute.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Yeah I get what they're going for, a big cool hazard that's very much in the way of whatever you're trying to do.

But right now they feel sentient and all fire tornadoes means is 'get out of this area in particular, including extract.'

They also feel extremely ineffective against most all enemies.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Honestly all the weather effects occur too frequently, having 3 blizzards, or sandstorm or fire tornados in a 40 minute mission just kinda makes them uninteresting and sloggy instead of memorable or cool.

Infidelicious fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Apr 29, 2024

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Environmental hazards need to affect the enemy units as well, otherwise what you have is just sparkling area denial.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
The backpack only strategems are double expensive because they take a strategem slot and they lock you out of taking several really good weapons or helping your friends reload theirs. In return, they all let you fudge an essential skill, be it how to avoid getting shot, how to manage resources or how to plan a route.

They make the cape physics extra cool though, you always just look amazing in a pack

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Grenade launcher/ammo pack is incredible for anything bugs aside from defense

thump thump thump where'd all the bug holes go

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

The backpack only strategems are double expensive because they take a strategem slot and they lock you out of taking several really good weapons or helping your friends reload theirs. In return, they all let you fudge an essential skill, be it how to avoid getting shot, how to manage resources or how to plan a route.

They make the cape physics extra cool though, you always just look amazing in a pack

See personally I can't imagine taking any weapon that includes a backpack because the standalone backpacks are pretty much the strongest things in the game. Ballistic Shield and supply pack both enable essentially soloing missions on any difficulty.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Supply pack is definitely not "skill evading" like a shield or a jetpack (?), it enables really strong weapons with really limited ammo to be used like a normal support weapon at the cost of taking up another slot. Like the poster above mentioned, Supply pack and grenade launcher is a legitimately powerful combination, like adding a second slot cost to unlock the real version of the grenades.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

deep dish peat moss posted:

See personally I can't imagine taking any weapon that includes a backpack because the standalone backpacks are pretty much the strongest things in the game. Ballistic Shield and supply pack both enable essentially soloing missions on any difficulty.

And the laserdog paired with the Eruptor essentially lets you handle any bug smaller than a charger, leaving you with three slots to dedicate to eliminating chargers and titans. The Eruptor itself is good, but pairing it with something that works so synergistically with it makes both better.

E: the Autocannon is worth forgoing a backpack against bots, imo.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

"Simply never get hit." I contemplated the wise goon's words from within the enveloping glow of my shield. They didn't sound so wise to me, as I had left him behind to the loving, slowing embrace of 9001 hunters ten minutes ago, but what did I know. My shield hummed, patriotically, as the "reinforcement ready" message shook the most aggressively I had ever seen it.

Janissary Hop fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Apr 29, 2024

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Janissary Hop posted:

"Simply never get hit." I contemplated the wise goon's words from within the enveloping glow of my shield. They didn't sound so wise to me, as I had left him behind to the loving, slowing embrace of 9001 hunters ten minutes ago, but what did I know. My shield hummed, patriotically, as the "reinforcement available" message shook the most aggressively I had ever seen it.

This. Only fixed Spear will have me drop shield pack. Ive got 3 wins on 9 by making it to evac solo with destroyer out of orbit + me kiting and I wouldnt have pulled it off with hunter's slow loving me.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Janissary Hop posted:

"Simply never get hit." I contemplated the wise goon's words from within the enveloping glow of my shield. They didn't sound so wise to me, as I had left him behind to the loving, slowing embrace of 9001 hunters ten minutes ago, but what did I know. My shield hummed, patriotically, as the "reinforcement ready" message shook the most aggressively I had ever seen it.

Skill issue.

If you're fighting bugs, keep that head on a swivel and learn how to dip, duck, dodge, dive and dodge.

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Apr 29, 2024

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

'backpacks let you fudge an essential skill' is some no items fox only final destination level poo poo

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Janissary Hop posted:

:same:

Bishop Beo posted:

I’ve been playing with a couple buddies and we’ve basically got difficulty 7 against bots locked down.

Against bugs, however, we absolutely fold if we get hit by too many chargers/bile titans at once. I usually rock EAT and the other two guys take Quasar or grenade launcher but there’s times we just absolutely cannot keep up. We try to run but the bugs move way faster than the bots so that has mixed results.

Are there any other support weapons or stratagems we should look at? We usually have a mix of lasers/rail cannons/500kgs but actually hitting a BT with a 500kg is pretty dicey and the other two stratagems seem kinda mid against them.

I realize we are also not very good at this game lol.

Eagle 500/AS and the personal shield are very strong choices on bugs. Choose an anti tank weapon to taste and you’re good to go.

If you’re finding heavies to be the problem change the mix to have more anti tank weapons, skip the grenade launcher and just bring impact grenades and the grenade pistol. A single person can close a heavy nest with 10 holes with 2-3 eagle AS and the grenade pistol from outside the bowl, no need for the grenade launcher really.

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
"Intelligence indicates that our enemy is using giant cathedral ships. Research divison reports that we can adapt this technology for our use. Begin researching giant cathedral ships immediately."

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

Words cannot describe just how well the laser cannon does on gunships. I think it's the lack of projectile travel time that really seals it.

I keep bringing the Laser Cannon to bot missions and it does such a good job versus Gunships that gunship factories haven't even spawned for me lately.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I find the shield backpack to be against my religion. It either stops me from using God's Gun (autocannon) against bots or God's Perfect Little Angel (laserdog) against bugs.

I'd file a First Amendment complaint, expect the Super Earth Constitution is perfect and never needed to be amended.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Fantastic.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I think the only things i judge when i see them are the shield bubble and the scythe.

And not in a "this person sucks" way. Just in a "oh they might be new way"

Edit: to be clear i mean the big deployable sentry shield bubble. Not the backpack, backpacks are a fine choice for a number of reasons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

I’ve gotten use out of the shield bubble on the geological surveys. Heavy devs will rip through it but you’ve got just enough time for that final button press to complete the objective.