Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Reiley posted:

Environmental hazards need to affect the enemy units as well, otherwise what you have is just sparkling area denial.

they do, for the most part

tremors stun enemies, and actually are more impactful against them as helldivers can have shields or muscle booster

sandstorms and blizzards do deny visibility- I've snuck into a base and been like a few feet away from enemies none the wiser (in non stealth gear)

asteroids do damage enemies and can even take out fabricators and the like. It's just that due to the 'handful of helldivers vs a billion enemies' nature of the game the times where they hit you feel way more impactful than the reverse, unless its a kill on a key unit like a titan or hulk

same with firestorms, although fire damage is way overtuned against helldivers so it's way worse against us than for us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

laser cannon might be goated. really takes hulks out in like 10 seconds

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Janissary Hop posted:

"Simply never get hit." I contemplated the wise goon's words from within the enveloping glow of my shield. They didn't sound so wise to me, as I had left him behind to the loving, slowing embrace of 9001 hunters ten minutes ago, but what did I know. My shield hummed, patriotically, as the "reinforcement ready" message shook the most aggressively I had ever seen it.

just shoot the bugs lmao they can't kill you if they're dead

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
When a hunter gets near me I simply let my friend the laser dog kill it.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Sindai posted:

When a hunter gets near me I simply let my friend the laser dog kill it.
Also when another Helldiver gets near you.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Crows Turn Off posted:

Also when another Helldiver gets near you.

Also when you get near you

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

actually bile titans kill me more when they're dead then when they're alive but hunters are ok

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

turn off the TV posted:

actually bile titans kill me more when they're dead then when they're alive but hunters are ok

Yeah, I hope whatever the hell is going on with their corpse models gets fixed, that thing has thrown me to space or outright killed me half a dozen times already.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Janissary Hop posted:

"Simply never get hit." I contemplated the wise goon's words from within the enveloping glow of my shield. They didn't sound so wise to me, as I had left him behind to the loving, slowing embrace of 9001 hunters ten minutes ago, but what did I know. My shield hummed, patriotically, as the "reinforcement ready" message shook the most aggressively I had ever seen it.

It makes more sense framed in terms of the play it opens up. Basically, you can play greedy with Shield Generator Pack. Hang in there and get spit on by spewers. Play dangerous against Chargers. Take a perfect shot against a heavy instead of prioritizing hunters. Run past a bunch of stuff at evac. Run through your buddy’s line of fire. Doing this stuff in service of killing things faster is good play.

I think that’s a fair trade vs another eagle or orbital. Supply Pack is better if you have one of the support weapons that runs out of ammo. Laser Dog is better if your build doesn’t let you handle small enemies. Ballistic Shield is a more even trade, that tradeoff is about what build and playstyle are being enabled.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Personal shield pack + cheat death armor = hahahaha you can't loving touch me i say as my ragdoll goes flying into orbit

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

6 missions and not a single bile spewer. I guess I’m not getting those medals today. If only it counted nursery spewers.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Black Noise posted:

I’ve gotten use out of the shield bubble on the geological surveys. Heavy devs will rip through it but you’ve got just enough time for that final button press to complete the objective.

Maybe that's the play. I tried using it to protect a turret so it doesnt get immediately popped by rocket devs but it seemed less useful than just bringing another offensive strategem

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

The shield pack is great because getting flinched sucks.

Been doing a thing where I bring in a weapon, buddy brings in a shield or laser dog and we trade off who gets both first.

Frees up a third strat for both of us and typically the combination of weapon and pack is better than the sum of its parts... not wasting slots on redundant poo poo makes you less likely to lose your stuff in the first place, so the person who donated just gets the pack / weapon in 7 minutes.

Infidelicious fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Apr 29, 2024

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Infidelicious posted:

Been doing a thing where I bring in a weapon, buddy brings in a shield or laser dog and we trade off who gets both first.

This is the move. Lately been skipping a support weapon and just grabbing an extra when someone gets a dupe and the extra eagle or sentry is great.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Really I know that this game is supposed to be kind of difficult but it feels like the last several objective planets have all been like, Fire Tornadoes, Blizzards, "You can't see loving poo poo" and I'm a bit bored of it. I'd rather have meteors and earthquakes and ion storms over just not being able to see at all.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Sandstorms are kinda cool because if also blinds enemies, but I hate hate hate hate foggy and dusty planets against bots.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/Helldiversmedia/status/1784746347771683196

It's impressive how this game is just tailor built to make every moment the most insane last stand possible.

Or you all get wiped in the first five minutes of landing on a Bot planet.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

ZeusCannon posted:

Maybe that's the play. I tried using it to protect a turret so it doesnt get immediately popped by rocket devs but it seemed less useful than just bringing another offensive strategem

It can also buy a few precious seconds for the hellbomb on a gunship tower. Like people that play pubs love muting all voice chat so it’s harder to communicate “DROPSHIPS 380 OUT” then dudes get mad when they explode. Or if you get the dreaded exposed extract.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

i got use out of the shield bubble on lower difficulties. it was great for fighting bots if you threw one down instantly every bot drop. but on higher difficulties there's too much bot firepower coming in, it just gets overwhelmed too fast and goes down. Never there when you need it.

ArmyGroup303
Apr 10, 2004

If this were real life, I would have piloted this helicopter with you still in it.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

What are the thoughts on the recoilless rifle? I just started playing this and it seems real good so far, if a little slow between shots.

Part of the Holy Trinity of Heavy AT (Sir Carl/EAT rear end/Queso Cannon).

Pros:
Pretty fast reload. Superfast when buddy loaded.
Can be fired immediately.
Flinch is comparatively mild compared to other heavy AT.

Cons:
Requires holding still to reload. Interrupted reloads can get annoying fast.
Limited firepower and requires backpack. Required significant ground box ammo/drop pod reloads to replenish.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Only clear downside is that shooting hulks in the eye has to be relatively precise for it to count. You can 2-shot them but it often requires taking first-person shots and letting them get closer than I would like. It can still hit at 100m or so but the shots tend to bounce off even if they look like they're dead on.

It's worth learning how to do it in 3rd person. The AC obstructs so much view and kicks so much that firing in first person is so much worse than in third. Stun grenades can help you practice and line up shots in 3rd person

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Apr 29, 2024

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

i got use out of the shield bubble on lower difficulties. it was great for fighting bots if you threw one down instantly every bot drop. but on higher difficulties there's too much bot firepower coming in, it just gets overwhelmed too fast and goes down. Never there when you need it.

My situation was on 9s. I’m sure there are more optimal things to do but when the mining probe gets overrun I’ve found use in the shield bubble.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

runchild posted:

6 missions and not a single bile spewer. I guess I’m not getting those medals today. If only it counted nursery spewers.

:same:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Cook like this with your queso :smugdog:

https://i.imgur.com/nfUeY87.mp4

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

All my bug missions were Oops All Bile Spewers and Oops All Stalkers. Triple Stalker nest was pretty spooky, because the entire team did the correct thing in beelining towards the stalker to close the nest immediately, but we all split up in three directions.

Also had a baffling quick join where the pubbies were doing a blitz but didn’t seem to realize they needed to close bug holes. I closed all the bug holes for them and called in extraction like I was their maid. I don’t mean they cleaned out the hives and then didn’t close holes, I mean they exclusively took fights away from bug holes and made no effort to push towards them or clear them.

I finally hit level 50 and got my Skull Admiral title, and simultaneously got enough medals for the Dominator. Had to log off for the night but excited to try it against bots next time.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

ZearothK posted:

Sandstorms are kinda cool because if also blinds enemies, but I hate hate hate hate foggy and dusty planets against bots.

I am done with Planet Piss Christ

there are like 6 bots about to shoot me in this image

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Helldivers 2 crashed on a mission extract, and afterward I having been able to get past a black screen with it. File verification fixed 5 files that were corrupted, and I tried reinstalling the anti-cheat then the whole game, but nothing doing. Has anyone hit anything like that with the game and gotten around it?

e: I had to delete the appdata/roaming folder too

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Apr 29, 2024

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
The best utility backpack is whichever one someone on your team picked for themselves and has a spare cooldown for. Sharing is caring.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Triarii posted:

I am done with Planet Piss Christ

there are like 6 bots about to shoot me in this image

This planet blows!

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Not my gameplay, but this is why you bring proper loadouts, and aggro responsibly

https://i.imgur.com/5lfKBbr.mp4

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

Risky Bisquick posted:

Not my gameplay, but this is why you bring proper loadouts, and aggro responsibly

Yeah, maybe they should downgrade the engine cowlings on those, at least let my primary be able to ding them down, otherwise this

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Risky Bisquick posted:

I feel like I'm gonna have actual nightmares about this tonight.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Risky Bisquick posted:

dude should've brought impacts, could've killed like 6.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Risky Bisquick posted:

Weren't they teasing some kind of personal nuke stratagem a few weeks ago? Calling down a Davy Crockett wouldn't be a great choice for general use but could clear everything out and stabilize situations like these where you're completely hosed otherwise.

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

ArmyGroup303 posted:

Part of the Holy Trinity of Heavy AT (Sir Carl/EAT rear end/Queso Cannon).

You are killing me.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

True, you can definitely look at it like that but keep in mind there's still the difference of being able to move while charging with the quasar vs having to stop and take a knee to do so with the RR
Being able to move while charging the quasar isn't nothing but I'd argue it also isn't as a big of a deal as people make it out to be? Like YMMV of course because everyone plays differently, but for me at least like 90%+ of the time being able to move at a walking pace while charging has not actually had a meaningful impact on what I'm doing, and there are times where I'll sit still because I need to be accurate and don't want to induce any bouncing on my aim. Inversely, while reloading the RR forces you to be stationary, it does has the advantage of being able to resume where you left off if you had to cancel your reload, whereas the quasar needs to go from 0 to 100 in one go each time (and like moving while charging, I'd say this doesn't come into play the vast majority of the time).

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Risky Bisquick posted:

I remember doing a mission when the gunships first came out, wasn't so bad I thought, I just shot them all down as they spawned pretty easily.

Then I joined my two newer friends, their game already in progress, the skies looked like this as none of them knew how to shoot them down or stay alive long enough to do so.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Cool eruptor trick: If you hit reload right after you fire your penultimate shot you'll rack the bolt but have a full mag now, skipping the mag swap animation

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

I love how the EAT/RR/Queso trio are so well balanced against each other that it comes down to personal preference like this. I like the queso most because it saves my dumb rear end from having to remember to reload/replace it, and charging is quick enough that I can almost always get the shot off unless I'm slapped by a surprise hunter.

One advantage for the queso I don't see people mentioning is that unlike the RR and EAT, it doesn't have any bullet drop. If you can see a broadcast tower or mushroom (or dropship if you think you're a good enough shot) half a km out, you can just point at it and delete it without having to adjust for range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Amazing Member posted:

Yeah, maybe they should downgrade the engine cowlings on those, at least let my primary be able to ding them down, otherwise this

lots of primaries can down gunships, as can impact grenades. bring the tools you need.