Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
The heavy MG is just like the medium MG, but with more recoil; I don't really get the point. It doesn't have noticeably better armor penetration against bots.

The Quasar does the same job as the EAT. You get slightly less cooldown, but you can't take out two dropships in quick succession. Maybe it's for people who don't like calling down strategems and littering the map with EATs.

If they up the calldown/cooldown time on the EATs a little I can see it getting use; especially on maps with modifiers that increase it further.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Mar 28, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Dandywalken posted:

Fix the Spear lockon, cowards!!!

The current trick I have been using is to mash the mouse button when it gets close to lockon so if I click on the nanosecond its green the gun fires.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
You can also stop trying to lock and then try again immediately, it sometimes acquires fast enough to almost seem designed.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I think the Quaser is really going to shine with the jetpack.

Being able to get up into places with it where EAT's wont land might be amazing, especially against robots where if you can get just the slightest angle on the roof the Quaser will mess them up in one shot.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

CelticPredator posted:

Ems is god tier

I love it

I've been running it and it's so helpful with a coordinated team, and the cooldown is a little over a minute which lines up with the timers on a lot of enemy reinforcements so whenever a new breach pops up we can put it down easily and focus fire on a hulk or BT or give them the slip and dip

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

My first thought with the quasar is to pair it with scout armor and a jump pack, using the cooldown time to scoot between shots.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
I've only used the Quasar on the cold planet so far but it's got a good 10 second cooldown there. It'll probably be rough on hot worlds. Either way I can get a recoiless loaded much faster, even without team help.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

thotsky posted:

The heavy MG is just like the medium MG, but with more recoil; I don't really get the point. It doesn't have noticeably better armor penetration against bots.

The Quasar does the same job as the EAT. You get slightly less cooldown, but you can't take out two dropships in quick succession. Maybe it's for people who don't like calling down strategems and littering the map with EATs.

If they up the calldown/cooldown time on the EATs a little I can see it getting use; especially on maps with modifiers that increase it further.

The cool down is long enough and the charge is long enough that you are not hitting two drop ships when they are back to back. you can manage that with EATs if you're standing next to the drop pod or your buddy grabs the second one to help out.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I haven't used the new weapons yet because I'm out of town, but from reading posts here it seems like the only reason to bring an RR at this point over EATs or a Quasar is if you're going to be getting buddy reloads.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Lladre posted:

The cool down is long enough and the charge is long enough that you are not hitting two drop ships when they are back to back. you can manage that with EATs if you're standing next to the drop pod or your buddy grabs the second one to help out.

Yes? That was my point? The Quasar can't do that, but the EATs can. In return the Quasar will give more shots over like, 5 minute or whatever. There's less burst damage but more sustain.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Mar 28, 2024

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Ice Fist posted:

I haven't used the new weapons yet because I'm out of town, but from reading posts here it seems like the only reason to bring an RR at this point over EATs or a Quasar is if you're going to be getting buddy reloads.

This seems about right. If they buffed buddy reloads by letting someone reload of the RR users backpack it would be in a really good spot I think.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Ok so with bots I can run 50% explosive damage armor and that mostly saves me vs rockets, stuns and that mostly saves me against devastators and hulks, EMS mortar and hordes of bots are much less bad. But the thing that's eating my lunch vs bots is when they send like 6 berserkers at me. Nothing seems to kill them efficiently they just keep coming. Is there an answer? I'm about 100 medals to the slugger but I don't have that or the scorcher yet.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
That should be the case for the autocannon as well. Having one person not shooting stuff is surely balancing enough. I doubt buddy reloads are getting that much use when it requires that you have the backpack, and from a simulationist perspective it makes no sense.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Dren posted:

Ok so with bots I can run 50% explosive damage armor and that mostly saves me vs rockets, stuns and that mostly saves me against devastators and hulks, EMS mortar and hordes of bots are much less bad. But the thing that's eating my lunch vs bots is when they send like 6 berserkers at me. Nothing seems to kill them efficiently they just keep coming. Is there an answer? I'm about 100 medals to the slugger but I don't have that or the scorcher yet.

The Slugger and impact grenades help a lot. The SMG sidearm might be your best bet until then.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

thotsky posted:

The Slugger and impact grenades help a lot. The SMG sidearm might be your best bet until then.

Stun grenades work well too

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Dren posted:

Shoot them in the head not the gut weakspot.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

AC completely bodies bots, i have a hard time bringing any other weapon instead

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

causticBeet posted:

This seems about right. If they buffed buddy reloads by letting someone reload of the RR users backpack it would be in a really good spot I think.

I loved running RR in the first game and hope they do this. IIRC the RR also did much more damage than the EAT in HD1. Being cumbersome to run and with no clear damage advantage over the EAT makes the RR really easy to pass up at the moment.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Hmm keeping getting a crash every time the new Laser Bazooka lands from the hellpod.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I tried the light fortified armor for bot missions this week, and yep, I didn't want to admit it but it seems pretty helpful. Since I spend a decent amount of time mixing and matching my outfits for maximum drip, though, it is intensely frustrating that NONE OF THE GREENS EVER MATCH, so literally the only helmet in the game that doesn't clash is the one it comes with.

Seriously, I really need them to do a pass on the coloring, just have a couple art team guts go over some stuff with a shader. There are like 8 suits with primary green coloring and each one uses a slightly different shade of green. They used the same shades of orange and beige and grey on a lot of different outfits, presumably for the fashion possibilities, so it really stands out that they didn't pick a uniform shade of green.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

jokes posted:

gently caress the AMR for only allowing scoped shooting, by the way. No floating crosshair when normally wielding it is bullshit.

The first time there was a "Kill 60 enemies with the AMR" personal order I didn't know there was an option to ads your gun.

So I killed 60 bugs in a mission hip firing a sniper rifle at close range with no sight.

I did a deep dive into the control options after that.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

AC completely bodies bots, i have a hard time bringing any other weapon instead

Laser Cannon is fun, but it doesn't hold a candle to how hard the AC murders bots.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Dren posted:

-Impact nades and AC/AMR at range (AMR *seems* to 1 shot headshot, if you can hit)
-Redeemer and/or auto primary up close

The main thing is focus on *one* body part and dont panic spray. The entire purpose of the bot, even its appearance, is tailor made to make you panic. The glowing chest and head are obvious explosive weakspots but you can blow off their arms and legs too.

You are faster than them. Their melee attack is wonky and misses alot.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Dren posted:

the only weapon i've used that kills berserkers notably fast and efficiently is the normal machinegun

if everybody else has walkers, hulks and devs handled it's not a bad niche to fill.

the hmg probably works for that too, now that it exists? haven't used it though

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
I’ve crashed in 2/2 games I’ve played on PC since the patch and validating steam files. This is on the non-snowball planet too. Love this game but these updates and general stability has kind of been a shitshow. I also still have friends who will just be totally unable to connect to any lobbies some nights and no amount of network or client troubleshooting seems to make a difference.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Yeah Berserkers have little armor but just a fuckload of HP. If you can I would just concentrate fire with your team to bring a group of them down

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

causticBeet posted:

I’ve crashed in 2/2 games I’ve played on PC since the patch and validating steam files. This is on the non-snowball planet too. Love this game but these updates and general stability has kind of been a shitshow. I also still have friends who will just be totally unable to connect to any lobbies some nights and no amount of network or client troubleshooting seems to make a difference.

:lol: I genuinely thought that the goon who said this earlier was joking about this in reference to the previous arc crashes

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

also crashing in all games, regardless of planet

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Ugh, of course the HMG is poo poo, it's always something with this loving game

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

magiccarpet posted:

They fixed the PS5 loadout bug!

oh sweet jesus thank you, it was driving me mad

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

There was a new NVidia driver, installing stop the crash on drop pod landing.

Is it possibly a cultural thing in Sweden where 20/20 or 450/450 doesn't mean you've completed your task? Only when you reach 21/20 or 451/450, or is this just a typo in their poo poo?

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 28, 2024

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

BadLlama posted:

There was a new NVidia driver, installing stop the crash on drop pod landing.

Is it possibly a cultural thing in Sweden where 20/20 or 450/450 doesn't mean you've completed your task? Only when you reach 21/20 or 451/450, or is this just a typo in their poo poo?

I dunno but we've had 1 more sample than it said you could get. Like 21/20 or whatever.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Dren posted:

I dunno but we've had 1 more sample than it said you could get. Like 21/20 or whatever.

I'm pretty sure the sample counter in the menu only considers ground spawn stuff and not the ones in the escape pods and shipping containers and what not, but I could be wrong.

the tingler
Jul 15, 2009
What's the better warband progression?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

the tingler posted:

What's the better warband progression?

IMO (and assuming you're willing to spend :10bux:) Sickle and Stun Grenade from Cutting Edge Warbond, which requires very medals and gets two extremely good pieces of gear, then get through page 8 of the free warbond to get the Slugger while picking up a lot of other decent to good stuff along the way, then finish whatever you want. I don't really like anything from the last two pages of the free warbond except the Muscle Enhancement Booster which is useful on some planets, and I don't like literally anything on the Steeled Veterans warbond (the Dominator is the best of the worst but it's pretty mediocre).

If you don't want to spend money then going down the free warbond is perfectly good and you can pick up the Cutting Edge (or whatever comes next) with the currency found in game and unlocked via the regular warbond

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

toasterwarrior posted:

Ugh, of course the HMG is poo poo, it's always something with this loving game

lmao no it it isn't

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

The only really interesting items in the "first" premium warbond are the senator (if you like wheelguns) and the JAR (if you like bolters). Everything else is meh.

IMO the "second" premium warbond is much better value, since you get arc-proof armor, and the Sickle right out the gate, which is one of the best primaries in the game, and it's also got stun grenades which somehow are allowed to work on bile titans when EMS isn't.

Don't spend any real money unless you just want to show the devs love though, it's perfectly viable to farm all the premium currency you need by just playing.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

thotsky posted:

Yes? That was my point? The Quasar can't do that, but the EATs can. In return the Quasar will give more shots over like, 5 minute or whatever. There's less burst damage but more sustain.

I get it. But I rather run an auto cannon or the rifle for all the stuff you don't need an EAT for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Griz
May 21, 2001

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

lmao no it it isn't

if they're gonna add a gun that's ADS only, they could at least make sure the sight is aligned properly