Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

atelier morgan posted:

the only weapon i've used that kills berserkers notably fast and efficiently is the normal machinegun

if everybody else has walkers, hulks and devs handled it's not a bad niche to fill.

the hmg probably works for that too, now that it exists? haven't used it though

I gave mg and hmg a chance. mg shreds berserkers, like you said. Good against devastators too but scouts are a problem. Ran supply pack with it so I was able to put out suppressing fire, which is helpful against bots, and have enough nades for the scouts. Had 110’s in case there was a hulk or tank and to blow up bot factories. Grenade Launcher slots into pretty much that same lineup but it allows for running stun grenades.

hmg was trash. got wrecked against devastators, took forever to kill berserkers even on 1200 rpm, runs out of ammo really fast. And the aim lag is atrocious.

I’ll prob switch to AMR and slugger when I get slugger but it’s nice to know mg is good against bots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Chocobo posted:

Quasar also closes infinite bug holes. gently caress yeah.
there's a whole lot of stuff in this game that will close a functionally infinite amount of bug holes, and many of them will do it a hell of a lot faster than quasar

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
idk im loving the quasar at least on bot maps. the infinite ammo thing is so sick, and i love being able to knock out dropships whenever i want. admittedly i was using EATs before this so it's just a preference between the EATs and the Quasar

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Well yeah, it's like a sidegrade to EATs. I just gotta push back against the "imfinite ammo=infinite value" sort of thing, a lot of people overvalue ammo econ. Like the reason sickle is good is because it's essentially liberator with more spread but also way more uptime, not because it has infinite ammo.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Been trying Quasar against bots and I'm definitely not a fan. It's my new #1 for bugs but against bots it's just a flat-out worse lascannon with better range.

For example it takes 2 quasar shots (~10ish seconds) to kill a turret but a lascannon can do it in under 3 seconds:
https://i.imgur.com/jzYRExm.mp4
Tanks have pretty much the exact same killspeed as turrets.

Same with Striders, they're ~2.5 seconds with lascannon and you can easily do 5+ in a row without having to cooldown. Quasar is around 8 seconds per strider.
https://i.imgur.com/gArrk4E.mp4

The only benefits Quasar has over lascannon for bots are shooting down dropships (admittedly a good benefit) and killing hulks from the front. And killing fabricators but those are easy as hell to kill with orbitals/eagles.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Mar 29, 2024

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Quaser is worse against vents but one shots hulks if you hit anywhere near the eye very consistently. Much easier than killing them with laser cannon unless they're stunned and motionless. Killing one dropship every wave is very helpful too. Overall I'd say it's pretty balanced with the other good anti-heavy weapons. Poor RR and spear need some love.

For scout walkers I'd always take slugger or scorcher if I'm taking quasar. Scorcher/quasar feels like a great combo.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Mar 29, 2024

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
⬇️⬅️⬇️⬆️⬆️➡️ remains supreme

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006

deep dish peat moss posted:

Been trying Quasar against bots and I'm definitely not a fan. It's my new #1 for bugs but against bots it's just a flat-out worse lascannon with better range.

For example it takes 2 quasar shots (~10ish seconds) to kill a turret but a lascannon can do it in under 3 seconds:
https://i.imgur.com/jzYRExm.mp4
Tanks have pretty much the exact same killspeed as turrets.

Same with Striders, they're ~2.5 seconds with lascannon and you can easily do 5+ in a row without having to cooldown. Quasar is around 8 seconds per strider.
https://i.imgur.com/gArrk4E.mp4

The only benefits Quasar has over lascannon for bots are shooting down dropships (admittedly a good benefit) and killing hulks from the front. And killing fabricators but those are easy as hell to kill with orbitals/eagles.

The thing about the Quasar though is that you don't have to hit the vents, it can two shot turrets and tanks from the front. Having played with it a bit more I like it a lot. Definitely need something else for striders though, I take the scorcher, which I wish had just a bit more ammo.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I simply never let bots become aware of my presence so hitting vents is not an issue :colbert:

They're insanely easy to play Metal Gear Solid against in medium stealth armor. You can kill things from outside of their detection range and their allies often won't react at all, or maybe at most just blindfire vaguely in your direction.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I'll keep that in mind for the next time we're fighting on a planet where it's possible to see literally anything outside of detection range. :v:

It is weird that the Quaser seems to deal no extra damage to vents at all.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Mar 29, 2024

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
The Quasar feels like a replacement for the railgun in my standard bot loadout. They both have the downside of a charge time, but it brings the good damage without exploding in your hand and feels just as good for getting a headshot on a hulk. Plus it works on a lot more targets.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
I've run a few rounds with the Scorcher/Quasar combo just out of coincidence and I really like it as well. The quasar is a great feeling gun.

I'm sure with coordination there are better options but the gun has some serious flaws and benefits that really make it feel fun to use.
With good practice you can absolutely delete and suppress incoming dropships to make fights a little easier right from the start.
Taking out tanks/turrets that are live is also fun if you try to charge from behind cover to swing out and snap shot them.

If however you get caught with your pants down there is no chance you're getting a full charge off to help out.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

deep dish peat moss posted:

I simply never let bots become aware of my presence so hitting vents is not an issue :colbert:

They're insanely easy to play Metal Gear Solid against in medium stealth armor. You can kill things from outside of their detection range and their allies often won't react at all, or maybe at most just blindfire vaguely in your direction.

Gimme heavy stealth armour arrowhead

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

is there a way to see what mission conditions are on an in progress public game you join? I don't see any way to tell if orbital stratagems are going to suck until I've already picked everything and landed.

big lol at how obviously wrong the HMG's sights are for a gun with no third person reticle. it's literally right in the middle of the screen and it's not off by just a pixel or two.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
Host killed everyone with a 500kg they were holding at ext with no baddies around. When we landed again I punched them once as a gag and got booted

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

joined an oil mission where all of the oil valves were un-interactable by anyone during the step where you have to turn each valve so the mission was impossible to complete. quality control is going great

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

Owl Inspector posted:

joined an oil mission where all of the oil valves were un-interactable by anyone during the step where you have to turn each valve so the mission was impossible to complete. quality control is going great

sometimes this is because they're covered in goop you gotta shoot off

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Quasar rules.

I haven't even tried comboing it with the scorcher yet but it feels great on bot missions and I only used it on Troost or whatever with low visibility and dense trees and rocks. The charge time feels much more like four seconds than eight or ten seconds. Down time is probably closer to eight, for sure, but that's more than enough to take on tanks and hulks and towers and factories.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Quasar is the best. I don’t like eats because you have to call them in and I hate doing frantic stratagems so this one fills that void nicely

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

bandaid.friend posted:

sometimes this is because they're covered in goop you gotta shoot off

nah there was no goop and I even fired a bunch of scorcher into the area around them just in case it was invisible but no dice

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

WIFEY WATCHDOG posted:

⬇️⬅️⬇️⬆️⬆️➡️ remains supreme

hell yeah. against bots especially. quasar seems really cool, but I think autocannon takes care of literally everything the bots can throw at you except for dropships.

I'll have to try the quasar out more on bug missions though. yesterday I was just running bots because I'm loyal to super earth and I do the major orders.

one big advantage of EAT (idk if it's been mentioned in the last few pages) is that you don't have to go back and pick it up when you die. often when you die, it's because you got swarmed, and going back to where you die just means you'll probably die again. also EAT is good if you want to run another support weapon (like the arc thrower) because you can just pick it back up after blasting something with an EAT

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
I enjoy the Quasar but I'll probably just keep littering the map with EATs vs bugs for now. I mean, yes yes, skill issue, but I prefer the weapon I can fire off without a long charge-up against the enemy that always wants to close in at me.

Bots already incentivize use of cover so pre-charging a shot before peeking out is usually not bad, and infinite ammo lets you wastefully blow up the occasional mid sized enemy with much less opportunity cost compared to the other options, since you neither have to wait for the call-in time nor stop to reload the weapon.

Very fun gun though.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

HMG on bots was ok, but I definitely found myself thinking "I could've done that with an autocannon too, and probably better".

I really like it on bugs, though. 1200 RPM with short bursts will loving shred anything up to a Bile Titan in short order. If you can get a clear shot on a Charger's rear end it'll pop it like a zit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIsvkJnc7wE

And I did a second one to make sure it wasn't a fluke and nope, it'll just devour them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlb1l9CY_WU

Edit: Actually I'll amend my statement on bots slightly. I tried it on an Eradicate mission and it felt pretty good there. Being able to just point and delete anything that got too close without worrying about splash damage or aiming too much was very helpful. I may keep bringing it on those missions for bots, which isn't a bad niche for it.

Hakarne fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Mar 29, 2024

Griz
May 21, 2001

Sindai posted:

It is weird that the Quaser seems to deal no extra damage to vents at all.

that might explain why I saw a hulk survive a 90 degree quasar hit right to the vent

or it might have just been lag/desync/whatever since I gave it a few rounds of autocannon to the vent as soon as the quasar fired, and then it turned around and I had to hit it like 6 more times in the eye before it finally died

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
After trying to make HMG work a bit more I think my problem with the balance for all of the MGs is that it feels like they’re balanced against each other and not the opportunity cost of a stratagem slot and secondary weapon. Sure they are all numerically superior to a primary weapon but not so much so that it doesn’t feel like you’re just better off using your primary+nades to fill the role a machine gun would and saving yourself a stratagem and secondary weapon slot for something more useful.

It feels like someone on the AH balance team just really really hates machine guns. It’s especially wild when you contrast the HMG vs. the Quasar, which is borderline overpowered and very fun to use. Meanwhile the HMG has just about every possible negative trait stacked on top of it - small mags, barely any extra ammo, slow turn rate, crazy recoil, no 3rd person reticle, a ton of muzzle flash… All of this to be able to headshot devastators, hulks, and bile spewers?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

now this SEAF artillery objective couldn't be completed because it would progressively eat the shells that were loaded out of existence one by one so even after every shell around it was loaded, there were still less than 5.

I feel like each patch I revisit this game it's somehow buggier than before.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle
Quasar is very strong for solo play. Something that doesn't often get talked about with EATs is how hard it can be to reach them under certain circumstances, and back-pedalling to your last safe EAT drop or throwing the beacon ahead of you as you fall back can both cost you time and be threatened by patrols or POI spawns. Quasar means you always have a long range heavy solution on hand, with stowed reloading, you can concentrate on clearing immediate threats with your primary. Stun grenades also make it very easy to use.

If you're able to hold ground with other players then I'd still take EATs probably, plus you get to use the EAT hellpod as a budget precision strike.

I again think the railgun has been demoted a little too hard, it takes 3x full 2.8s~ railgun charges to kill a charger head while the quasar will do it in one single spool while also closing spawners and killing objectives from any range. The rail is still better at killing medium enemies but then it's competing with the grenade launcher, MG and AMR (for bots) which will all do that better and more efficiently in most circumstances and have other utility besides. Rail either needs more ammo to make it spammable at mediums and/or a faster charge to let you hit armour pen threshold faster for a better ROF imo.

Tommy the Newt fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Mar 29, 2024

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

At this point just revert the nerf.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I tried out that Blitzer electric primary from the bottom of the new war bond and I think the big use case for that is "shoot this gun while diving around." It's a great gun to shoot while you dive. It doesn't feel as good in other cases. You can throw yourself in dangerous situations and fire while dodging, as long as you're not fighting too many of the big robots. It doesn't do too well against those.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Are people sleeping on the heavy machine gun emplacement? It's really loving good ..

I think I'm gonna try pairing it with the jetpack for vantage point authority.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Owl Inspector posted:

this happens to me like 1/3 of the time on those drat oil missions

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

3 separate times I've received a bleed effect but without a visible chest wound on the UI, while wearing the armor that is supposed to make you immune to bleed, one time without even being hit.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Did some level 3 solos to test load outs.

This one is pretty fun. May not be the best but I might run with it for a while

Primary- arc shotgun thing
Secondary - las pistol
Support- quasar

With EMS always

The arc shotty did some neat work. Better in some situations than the scorcher (even tho I love it) because you can go right up close and shock away. Takes a while to kill the bigger guys though, and doesn’t do much to the walkers like the scorcher does

The las pistol is weird bc it kinda sucks but also rules if you can get it to work. A good long distance beam to small enemies. Lop off their drat head.

I liked playing with weapons that I don’t need to get ammo for. But I do miss how versatile the scorcher is.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
the downside of the quasar is you cant also use arc thrower at the same time

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Relentlessboredomm posted:

this happens to me like 1/3 of the time on those drat oil missions

Same with evac missions. I had a mission go so bad where none of the scientists or whatever would move. They just ran around the entire map and stopped if they didn’t get eaten by bugs lol.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

DarkDobe posted:

At this point just revert the nerf.
Yeah it would be fine now. As long as it can't one shot bile titans no matter how perfect your headshot is or you're in a crossplay game or whatever.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think arrowhead needs to get rid of the nurse and bile spitters full stop. I hate them and they’re why I don’t play as bugs ever. The most annoying enemy in the whole game

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

causticBeet posted:

After trying to make HMG work a bit more I think my problem with the balance for all of the MGs is that it feels like they’re balanced against each other and not the opportunity cost of a stratagem slot and secondary weapon. Sure they are all numerically superior to a primary weapon but not so much so that it doesn’t feel like you’re just better off using your primary+nades to fill the role a machine gun would and saving yourself a stratagem and secondary weapon slot for something more useful.

It feels like someone on the AH balance team just really really hates machine guns. It’s especially wild when you contrast the HMG vs. the Quasar, which is borderline overpowered and very fun to use. Meanwhile the HMG has just about every possible negative trait stacked on top of it - small mags, barely any extra ammo, slow turn rate, crazy recoil, no 3rd person reticle, a ton of muzzle flash… All of this to be able to headshot devastators, hulks, and bile spewers?

The real problem is that they are not only competing with primaries for a role; but they're also competing other support weapons that are much more flexible than them... like the AC, GL, Arc Thrower and even the Laser Cannon and Flamethrower now.

Then on top of that, they're starved for ammo more than all of them but the GL; especially the MMG that inexplicably gets 1 belt per supply box.

At a minimum they really ought to make them come with a supply pack... even if it's a less good version with like 2 boxes.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

I think arrowhead needs to get rid of the nurse and bile spitters full stop. I hate them and they’re why I don’t play as bugs ever. The most annoying enemy in the whole game

use explosives

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

I've given the heavy machine gun some more time and I think the part that really kills it for me vs the sniper is it doesn't stagger the devastators. If it had less downsides it might be nice but there's just too many