Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
2 Airship foundries directly adjacent to each other on a blitz mission is, uh, sure something alright! :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Rolled up to extract with no reinforcements left and an airship foundry right next to it. On top of that they dropped a walker factory between us and the beacon right when we got there.

We didn't make it.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

"Legit Business News" Farming Update:

It would appear that Disconnect Farming is now off the table. After you run a map 2x, you no longer get sc/medals/rec slips deposited into your inventory. However, when I ran my map to test, I was able to get credit for some of the items on the first run, and then nothing on the second. So it seems like it is on a per cache basis. We haven't tested to see if group composition changes this calculus, or if there's an internal cooldown on the map/cache/rate per hour. More testing is required!

However, blitzing through a bunch of haz 1 difficulty maps is still probably the most efficient way to do things, and with a good seed, you just get to do it twice.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Pops Mgee posted:

Rolled up to extract with no reinforcements left and an airship foundry right next to it. On top of that they dropped a walker factory between us and the beacon right when we got there.

We didn't make it.
I've had the bug equivalent: started extraction, started fighting patrols, turned around and saw 4 stalkers right on top of us.

It was a bloodbath. We did make it but only because we still had almost the whole reinforcement pool to spend.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

It makes sense not being particularly bothered by just blasting out level 1 missions, while also not wanting just running the one really good one you found over and over.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
It is good to have a way to get warbonds without paying if you've been away from the game for a while, even if it's a bit tedious. I can see myself playing for long enough that I never have to worry about supercreds just through regular play.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
the warbonds so far have had a bunch of SC unlocks to convert your medals into SC

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

oh yeah, beat a difficulty 9 mission with just two players! me and a buddy of mine have really gotten into a grovel. apart from being really efficient and constantly moving, our loadout was pretty good for bots. we both had the dominator, I had the AC and my buddy had the laser. the laser really owns on bot missions, it kills hulks really really fast. game owns

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

I encountered a fun new big last night: gunship rockets knocking you clear through the ice on Menkent. Did you know there's water under there? And if you get knocked through the ice, there's no way out of the water so you drown? Thank god I didn't have the super samples.

Also on a blitz mission a pubbie somehow managed to clip into the area behind a friendship door without opening it. On the opposite side of the map from the rest of the team. It took him 5 minutes of being stuck there before he grenaded himself and respawned :facepalm:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Spookydonut posted:

the warbonds so far have had a bunch of SC unlocks to convert your medals into SC
Minus the first free one which has 750 SC to get, they each have 300 SC total to get.
So buying a warbond is always gonna cost you 700 SC at the end of things, it's not like you'd ever want to buy one in order to get more SC.

e:
https://i.imgur.com/v0uaOxH.mp4
job's done :toot:

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Apr 17, 2024

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I kinda like the crossbow. It kills striders and devs and also takes out the lil guys without a huge explosion

I’ll play with it some more but I don’t dislike it as much as I thought

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

I kinda like the crossbow. It kills striders and devs and also takes out the lil guys without a huge explosion

I’ll play with it some more but I don’t dislike it as much as I thought

i like it against nursers but bile spewers are more armored and it doesnt do as much against them as I like but it's still fun

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Oh hell yeah. :getin:

Going to run mortars all day and just keep saying I haven’t done my daily yet.

Anita Dickinme fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Apr 17, 2024

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Definitely run it as much as you like. People on steam forums saying they kick people for using strategems they don't like even though it completes the objective for them.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
As I said, run mortars against bots, drop your little explosive friend behind a hill in the middle of nowhere, and watch it mess up the enemy's entire patrol system while you go elsewhere and do your own thing.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m just gonna play solo tomorrow f that poo poo lmao

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
pair the mortars together for less angry pubbies.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Darth Walrus posted:

As I said, run mortars against bots, drop your little explosive friend behind a hill in the middle of nowhere, and watch it mess up the enemy's entire patrol system while you go elsewhere and do your own thing.

Combine with EMS Mortar for best results.

I might just be imagining things but it seems like the killy mortar has slightly shorter range than the EMS.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

They're going to have to add something really good to make me stop taking Autocannon Turret on every mission. Once you have the upgrades it will clear large Helldive encounters on its own, it might be the single best value stratagem if you can toss it somewhere out of harm's way. Orbital Railstrike takes some additional damage to take down a bile titan, the autocannon turret can do it on its own with ammo to spare. Now that I have the blast shielding from the recent round of ship upgrades it can even withstand a rocket in Automaton missions and keep going.

Just wish it had some kind of internal list of targets to avoid. Sometimes it does enough damage to save you from being helplessly overrun, other times it turns around and shoots the side of a fabricator over and over to ne effect until it's out of ammo.

They really should change it so shooting a Fabricator enough times with certain support weapons or turrets will just blow it up even without shooting it in a vent or open door, kind of a shame that currently only the Spear can really do that

Sindai posted:

Bots are much more fun now that you regularly see mobile factories instead of double tank or triple hulk drops. :swoon:

Mind you those definitely still happen

Ice Fist posted:

I tried very hard to give the spear a chance in a handful of missions.

I'd rather of had a quasar or AC every time.

It is indeed great for sniping fabs, towers long range (so long as you have a clear sight picture and there are no obstructions), but it's a liability whenever poo poo hits the fan imo

Yeah the main thing holding it back is how inconsistent the lock-on for it is, if that finally gets fixed it'll become a top tier pick for Bot missions

Also is it just me or is it weird that you can use the Spear on Striders but not Devastators?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

If I was a helldiver irl and I survived I’d sleep with the ems

it would be a slow start in the morning though

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

They really should change it so shooting a Fabricator enough times with certain support weapons or turrets will just blow it up even without shooting it in a vent or open door, kind of a shame that currently only the Spear can really do that

Mind you those definitely still happen

Yeah the main thing holding it back is how inconsistent the lock-on for it is, if that finally gets fixed it'll become a top tier pick for Bot missions

Also is it just me or is it weird that you can use the Spear on Striders but not Devastators?

Striders show up as big dots on the map, so they're classified as large by the game; the spear would be basically impossible to use if it locked on to devs, also.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

If the bots ever figure out helmets we're in trouble

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Infidelicious posted:

Striders show up as big dots on the map, so they're classified as large by the game; the spear would be basically impossible to use if it locked on to devs, also.

Striders being classified like that is basically a troll and only exists to distract the Spear/110/railcannon away from something you actually want to hit.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Arglebargle III posted:

If the bots ever figure out helmets we're in trouble

not even Super Earth can make functional helmets so I don't see how the filthy machines could ever manage it

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

drrockso20 posted:

autocannon sentry will just sit there and waste all its ammo trying to destroy fabricators and it makes me mad

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Spookydonut posted:

autocannon sentry will just sit there and waste all its ammo trying to destroy fabricators and it makes me mad
Same for the mortar sentry except it also has the bonus effect of giving the fabricator explosive defenses if you want to try and take it out manually.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Any planet with the rock overhangs (like Chort Bay) are great for autocannon sentries, as if you drop the pokeball in the right place on the ground below the sentry will land on the edge of the overhang and be able to snipe at enemies with little resistance.

I need to try it with the mortar too when I play later, they might be untouchable if put far back enough.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Icedude posted:

Any planet with the rock overhangs (like Chort Bay) are great for autocannon sentries, as if you drop the pokeball in the right place on the ground below the sentry will land on the edge of the overhang and be able to snipe at enemies with little resistance.

Its such a crapshoot which rock surfaces will/won't accept your balls.

"Ahh this is a great spot for a sentry"
- Strategem ball bounces 15 times off the surface and rolls off the ledge in between 2 containers.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

It'd be nice if the strategem ball showed a red/green silhouette on the ground where it's going to hit based on whether it can stick to that surface.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Fishstick posted:

Its such a crapshoot which rock surfaces will/won't accept your balls.

"Ahh this is a great spot for a sentry"
- Strategem ball bounces 15 times off the surface and rolls off the ledge in between 2 containers.

The stratagem ball uses the same logic for surfaces as the climbing :v:

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Orbital Laser chumps striders, so there's the can't be bothered solution if anyone finds them annoying. Dismantling them with a shitload of rockets is more fun though.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Orbital laser feels like it's exactly in the right spot. It's so powerful but I hesitate to use it because of the limited shots.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Arglebargle III posted:

Orbital laser feels like it's exactly in the right spot. It's so powerful but I hesitate to use it because of the limited shots.

Multiple people can bring orbital lasers! If even two squaddies bring it that's potentially 6 bases you can destroy without even having to step foot in them. I've started running the orbital rail cannon and orbital laser and it's been working out real well.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Durzel posted:

Holy poo poo how can anyone enjoy bots? At least on random pubbie matches.
I take back everything I said about not having fun against bots. It turns out that Autocannon was the answer.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Bots are so fun. They’re like little guys you blow up

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

If orbital laser had infinite uses they'd have to tone down either the duration or the damage, or both. The laser in its current state is "no no no, gently caress this poo poo, everything die, everything die right now so I can have some goddamn breathing room." 3 uses per mission is fair considering the sheer devastation it unleashes.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

Bots are so fun. They’re like little guys you blow up
Yeah, it turns out the shield was a bit of a crutch. It just made me feel safer, but at the cost of actually being able to deal with stuff more expediently. It turns out a dead clunker can't hurt you, who knew?

EMS Mortar also owns bones against bots.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Sindai posted:

As a card-carrying Spear Enjoyer I'm pretty sure the issue with cannon towers is that the "tower" is part of the terrain, not the entity, so if you're too far below the tower or too close to the base it obscures the aim point on the turret and isn't seen as a valid target.

I'm also 99% sure the "mark your target" thing is placebo effect.

The Blitzer doesn't arc the way the arc thrower or tower does. It just hits multiple targets to begin with.

The Spear also just has a much shorter ranger than it looks like it should

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I hit a cannon turret from about 298 yards away last night, I think 300 might be the actual limit?