Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Legit Businessman posted:

The erupter can close nests, it can close stalker nests.

The holes aren't any different.

Edit: I've literally used the grenade pistol to close a stalker nest. Can't say I've done that with the eruptor, though, but I'm sure it can happen.

It's true, a hole's a hole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Strong Sauce posted:

ah drat i meant shriekers. the mushroom nest flying dudes. drat all these names!
I don't think there's any part of a shrieker nest eruptor can damage. Just like hulk eyes, the armor pen isn't high enough unlike autocannon.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
I kind of wish they would make shrieker nests only killable with a hellbomb, it's kind of boring to just quasar them from a mile away.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I kinda skipped the anti material rifle in my early days, going right for the auto cannon, which is great and I still love. I had heard about the AMR sight issue, and I was mostly fighting bugs then, which the AMR isn't great for, regardless.

But I completed that AMR daily they ran last week against the robots and jeezluz it turns out I really like it. I'm still using it now, it's fantastic against drat near everything. I'm better at taking out hulks with it than the AC, which honestly I thought would be impossible. Taking out entire columns of robbits down from 200m.

Also the senator is absolutely the best sidearm.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Recoilless Rifles can hit Hulk eyes right? They can hit Fabricators?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Reiley posted:

Recoilless Rifles can hit Hulk eyes right? They can hit Fabricators?
Yes, and yes but it can be awkward to hit fabs from an angle that will actually kill them.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

I kind of wish they would make shrieker nests only killable with a hellbomb, it's kind of boring to just quasar them from a mile away.

:mods:

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
I learned from reddit that the hellbomb calldown is an infinity symbol (or a counter-clockwise circle followed by a clockwise) (code is down-up-left-down for first circle, then up-right-down-up for second)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
It is so, so much easier for me to think of it as three down-up's with a left then right between them.

down-up
left
down-up
right
down-up

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

LazyMaybe posted:

It is so, so much easier for me to think of it as three down-up's with a left then right between them.

down-up
left
down-up
right
down-up

Oh wow. You’ve done me a super service. Thank you.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

LazyMaybe posted:

I don't think the blitzer "easily clears trash" at all. You're normally killing 1 bug per shot with a very slow rate of fire, you only kill multiple when they're spaced just so, and even then only for the really weak stuff. Sometimes you blast a hunter and nothing else and it still doesn't die.

It causes the most bugs to jerk back several feet, that's pretty useful my dude. Also, I don't mean to be so dismissive, but I never have a problem with Hunter with the Blitzer.

Now with that said, I would loving kill if it shoot like .025 faster. Just a little tiny bit.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Back Hack posted:

It causes the most bugs to jerk back several feet, that's pretty useful my dude.
Ok, but like... if I'm using the punisher, I get the exact same level of stagger, except I do 62% more damage per shot and have 266% the rate of fire. Even in situations where you're shooting exclusively spread out squishy enemies, you'll still generally clear them faster with the punisher, and it handles genuine threats to you far better. Blitzer's arcing autoaim mechanic just isn't actually that strong in practice.

And the punisher is on the slow end of RoF. Breaker still has 32% higher damage than blitzer, and it has literally 10 times the rate of fire of the blitzer. You want a shotgun that's actually good at clearing groups of trash enemies, that's your best pick and it's not close. Yeah, both of these guns need to reload unlike blitzer, but they'll still have way less downtime overall.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

LazyMaybe posted:

Ok, but like... if I'm using the punisher, I get the exact same level of stagger, except I do 62% more damage per shot and have 266% the rate of fire. Even in situations where you're shooting exclusively spread out squishy enemies, you'll still generally clear them faster with the punisher, and it handles genuine threats to you far better. Blitzer's arcing autoaim mechanic just isn't actually that strong in practice.

And the punisher is on the slow end of RoF. Breaker still has 32% higher damage than blitzer, and it has literally 10 times the rate of fire of the blitzer. You want a shotgun that's actually good at clearing groups of trash enemies, that's your best pick and it's not close. Yeah, both of these guns need to reload unlike blitzer, but they'll still have way less downtime overall.

That's very fair, but I will mention one more thing, the Blitzer has better sustainability I find with the fact it doesn't need to reload. Which is more than you think when compared to the other shotguns.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
It's not no upside but it's markedly less than the downside of having 30 rate of fire. Gun ought to have like 50-60 RoF minimum.

Falls in line with how the scythe and especially dagger have horrendously low damage, the designers seem to have overvalued how good infinite ammo/no reloads are on weapons. Quasar is a rare place where it's actually a big upside and sickle for some reason got the very mild downside of a small windup before shooting.

Maybe the hitscan lasers of scythe/dagger and the autoaim-esque behavior of blitzer contributed... they might have been trying to avoid a situation where guns that are especially easy to aim with became overly dominant, because people tend to be influenced by ease of use quite a bit. It's an overcorrection in any case though.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

LazyMaybe posted:

It's not no upside but it's markedly less than the downside of having 30 rate of fire. Gun ought to have like 50-60 RoF minimum.

Falls in line with how the scythe and especially dagger have horrendously low damage, the designers seem to have overvalued how good infinite ammo/no reloads are on weapons. Quasar is a rare place where it's actually a big upside and sickle for some reason got the very mild downside of a small windup before shooting.

Maybe the hitscan lasers of scythe/dagger and the autoaim-esque behavior of blitzer contributed... they might have been trying to avoid a situation where guns that are especially easy to aim with became overly dominant, because people tend to be influenced by ease of use quite a bit. It's an overcorrection in any case though.

I mean the Eruptor has a 25 ROF and people seem to like it fine.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I tried a defender/stun nades/ballistic shield/laser cannon loadout and hated it. The shield is pretty decent now, you can comfortably 1v1 a heavy dev in the open and take your time headshotting them, but it was frequently awkward to work with and still far inferior to actual cover. The laser cannon I still don't like. I know from past experience that trying to 1v1 an active hulk with the laser is basically assisted suicide which is why I took the stuns, and while I didn't have any issue killing hulks with one stun grenade it really highlighted how poo poo the cannon handles with how much it jerks around and wastes dps even on a stationary target. Losing the incredible power of impact grenades was a real blow just to make the cannon useful.
The crippling problem with the build though was that it couldn't do anything meaningful to devastator groups at midrange, especially rocket devs. Devasators are the most threatening bot group imo so that was a real death sentence.

The laser is really good at killing gunships and the build was great at running around and killing tanks but until they add pre-mission warnings about enemy composition I will not be touching it again. The greatest joke was that I saw a loading tip talking about how enemy composition affects difficulty and that you should plan your loadout appropriately. I guess arrowhead expects you to dive into a mission naked, find out what the seed is, then alt f4 and reload with the right build ready.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

I don't know how I would buff the blitzer because with just a couple of adjustments it could be absurdly good, which is almost certainly not what they're going for. A little extra range, enough extra damage to always one shot the smallest units, slightly faster fire rate, slightly more arcing/multi target capability, even more stagger, take two of any of those on a lightning gun which already ignores armor and you've got an exceptionally solid primary that would pair well with a lot of secondary and support weapons.

But it does need something because right now, imo, it just feels bad and I'd rather use basically anything else other than the counter sniper.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

raverrn posted:

I mean the Eruptor has a 25 ROF and people seem to like it fine.
the eruptor does a lot of explosive damage per shot from long range, can destroy holes/fabs, and hits in a large AoE that lets it splash groups of enemies. blitzer doesn't do any of that-including the last one because if you're shooting multiple enemies with the blitzer you're splitting your damage between them rather than splashing them.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I bought the Dagger and what I got was regrets.

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

Reiley posted:

I bought the Dagger and what I got was regrets.

I got it for an all laser gimmick build to play with my lower level friends and it was so bad I didn't even use it for that after one run. I hope they do a balance pass on all of the meh-tier weapons once they've run out of ideas for battle passes.

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:

Mazerunner posted:

I learned from reddit that the hellbomb calldown is an infinity symbol (or a counter-clockwise circle followed by a clockwise) (code is down-up-left-down for first circle, then up-right-down-up for second)
Huh, I always thought of it as a mushroom cloud with a DUL line, a DUR line, and a DU line.

↰↑↱

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Darox posted:

I know from past experience that trying to 1v1 an active hulk with the laser is basically assisted suicide which is why I took the stuns, and while I didn't have any issue killing hulks with one stun grenade it really highlighted how poo poo the cannon handles with how much it jerks around and wastes dps even on a stationary target.
[...]
The crippling problem with the build though was that it couldn't do anything meaningful to devastator groups at midrange, especially rocket devs. Devasators are the most threatening bot group imo so that was a real death sentence.
This might be because I always crouch and use recoil-reduction armor but I definitely have no problems holding it on hulk and devastator heads.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
An active unstunned/not stuck on terrain hulk, though? With its eye bobbing up and down, especially if the terrain is uneven? I'd be surprised if you weren't having a significant amount of your laser damage ticks bounce off armor near the eye.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

MissMarple posted:

Huh, I always thought of it as a mushroom cloud with a DUL line, a DUR line, and a DU line.

↰↑↱

oh that's even better

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
I can't move my laser up and down to hit the hulk eye, so yeah it's not the most efficient

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
crossbow is pretty neat

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

LazyMaybe posted:

the eruptor does a lot of explosive damage per shot from long range, can destroy holes/fabs, and hits in a large AoE that lets it splash groups of enemies. blitzer doesn't do any of that-including the last one because if you're shooting multiple enemies with the blitzer you're splitting your damage between them rather than splashing them.

Does it actually split damage across all enemies hit?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

LazyMaybe posted:

An active unstunned/not stuck on terrain hulk, though? With its eye bobbing up and down, especially if the terrain is uneven? I'd be surprised if you weren't having a significant amount of your laser damage ticks bounce off armor near the eye.
Of course I meant stunned hulks. I was responding to the part about the laser bouncing around on its own.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

should please our posters from Buenos Aires

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Slung Blade posted:

I kinda skipped the anti material rifle in my early days, going right for the auto cannon, which is great and I still love. I had heard about the AMR sight issue, and I was mostly fighting bugs then, which the AMR isn't great for, regardless.

But I completed that AMR daily they ran last week against the robots and jeezluz it turns out I really like it. I'm still using it now, it's fantastic against drat near everything. I'm better at taking out hulks with it than the AC, which honestly I thought would be impossible. Taking out entire columns of robbits down from 200m.

Also the senator is absolutely the best sidearm.

I did the same after the daily but I'm falling into the same trap I did twenty years ago in Battlefield 1942 where I tunnel vision on getting sick sniper shots and I'm not good enough at the sniper part for it to make me more useful than if I was just running and gunning like usual.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

FunkyFjord posted:

Does it actually split damage across all enemies hit?
I cannot strictly say it works this way without knowing the actual code, but it very much looks to me to be a typical shotgun shooting multiple "pellets", and the only thing mechanically unique about those pellets is their trajectory which homes in on enemies.
So unlike a weapon with splash like the eruptor which can do full damage to multiple targets, the only way you hit multiple enemies with one shot with the blitzer is by splitting the pellets between multiple enemies.

https://i.imgur.com/DSgGMu8.mp4
It looks to me like the blitzer fires 4 hitscan lightning arcs that home in on enemies within range.

Frames from that video:
Here all four went into 1 warrior, killing it with a bodyshot:

And here they were split between 2 warriors, 2 hitting each so neither died:

Plus, here's another fun thing.
https://i.imgur.com/9BUDEDx.mp4
That shot, all but one of the arcs went into a scavenger corpse near the left warrior. Which is why the left warrior doesn't flinch or receive any damage decals, and naturally the warrior further back who only took one arc lives just fine even though it's a headshot.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

The scorcher is so good you don't even need a support weapon if you bring a supply pack. There's no target it can't handle that you shouldn't be using an eagle or orbital for anyway. The only bot unit it can't kill is... Fabs. Maybe the ATAT? I can't remember if it can kill mortars and AA but everything else it's golden.

Easy to say this until you start running into packs of devastators with 0 stagger.

E: you know what, ill try it since the supply pack means 3x the impacts.

Dyz fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Apr 18, 2024

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
They really need to change it so Arc weapons ignore corpses

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

drrockso20 posted:

My personal observation suggests that the corpse's somehow block LOS, i have thoughts about it but it could ultimately just be the engine causing issues with 'dead' entities

Edit:

Adding this here as it's been good info for friends who rage at bots, they have multiple points of failures that can be taken out, especially the hulk. Most people get bogged down trying to get the 1-hit KO but in some cases it may be more advantageous to cripple instead of outright kill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89Bdvvi3JHE

Amazing Member fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Apr 18, 2024

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Finally playing with the new warbond stuff. I think my favourite part of the erupter is when a hunter does a get down mr president!!!

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

LazyMaybe posted:

This doesn't feel right with the punisher though.

https://i.imgur.com/g6UaRZK.mp4

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Major order is already 12.5% complete... I think they underestimated our lust for killing bugs, should have been more like 10 billion bugs instead of two.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
bug9 blitzes are the best, free-est xp and samples for your time there is

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Eradicates are at their best when you just go 4x4 orbs/eagles and forget about hoity toity stuff like "turrets" and "support weapons". Explosions solve everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

i would also accept arc weapons blowing up corpses to clear the field