Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

I mean it's more that to get to Choohe we have to go through Bot Hellmire and NO ONE wants to go back there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
I'd like to try it against bugs, I can't give up my autocannon against bots. Definitely been killed by it a few several times already.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

PlasticAutomaton posted:

I mean it's more that to get to Choohe we have to go through Bot Hellmire and NO ONE wants to go back there.

We can get to Chooe through Menkent which is already half liberated. That might actually be the only way to get the order completed on time.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Arglebargle III posted:

Holy poo poo we do NOT want the pubbies to gain access to the cluster rocket launcher. The team kill potential is unreal.

Palpatine: I love Democracy

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Gave the orbital shrapnel shot a try and got a question, why wouldn't I just bring cluster bombs instead? with all the upgrades it has 5 uses and comes with a big boy eagle strike bomb.

You don’t cheat on eagle -1, eagle supremacy

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'm going to say the airburst launcher is basically useless unless the game just kinda hates me. I've shot them at gunships from every conceivable angle and distance and the general result is a single kill if it hits them dead on and nothing else for a massively long reload, or more likely- literally no response at all because it blows up in midair and none of the airburst so much as touches anything. Gunship Generators are my new most hated structure because once it gets spooled up there's nothing you can do. 8 gunships is nothing you have a response for and you just get chewed up endlessly.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Helldiver firing the airburst rocket and then immediately getting on his democracy phone to book a flight to Choohe.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Fabricated posted:

I'm going to say the airburst launcher is basically useless unless the game just kinda hates me. I've shot them at gunships from every conceivable angle and distance and the general result is a single kill if it hits them dead on and nothing else for a massively long reload, or more likely- literally no response at all because it blows up in midair and none of the airburst so much as touches anything. Gunship Generators are my new most hated structure because once it gets spooled up there's nothing you can do. 8 gunships is nothing you have a response for and you just get chewed up endlessly.

just shoot them with the laser canon

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
It'll be a shame if the airburst launcher ends up sucking because it does look cool as hell.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Shoulda went for the giant antitank discus...

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

bandaid.friend posted:

I haven't liked exterminate missions from the beginning. They're not fun? The robots overcome your position so easily. I was irritated recently when someone just dropped a 380mm on top of us when it got nasty, but since then I've been doing it myself. Not right on top of us, but the maps are so small it's always risky. And it works quickly. I just bring along the three big barrages now (and a gatling) and drop them where there's lots of robots and not so many helldivers

I figure the missions are so miserable anyway, and I do get lots of kills quickly with the barrages. The only strategies people use are silly things like sitting on the top of the rocks, or running around the outside wall. I really just want the mission to be done quickly as they're not interesting

Someone complained today when I did call in a 380 a bit close - they said the map's a bit small for it. And they're right. It's kinda lousy for someone to be chucking barrages around. But also, the mission sucks! The robots all enter the base and get bunched up and the barrages rack up the kill counter

I'm not gonna stop bringing barrages to exterminates. But this mission type needs improvement

I bring ems and reg mortar and cluster bombs and either auto canon or laser or counter pick to fill in a hole based on what other people picked. Seems to work really well, but also I haven't gotten all the way up the difficulty chain yet so maybe that tapers off in effectiveness?

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Reiley posted:

Shoulda went for the giant antitank discus...

W I D E 5 0 0

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Fabricated posted:

Airburst is not Anti Air. This is a bunch of explosives that explodes and are thrown around when they pass in proximity to something. It's not an Anti Air weapon. It's meant to be shot over patrols or walls then it drops a pile of bomblets on the area under where it detonates.

EDIT: Removed a pile of very wrong words.

BitBasher fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 27, 2024

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I am pretty sure that you have that backwards. In the video they posted, Penta has the rocket launcher and Choohe has the mines. That's why everyone fighting on Penta is currently getting the rocket launcher for free. Penta will be liberated in a matter of hours but we don't even have access to Choohe yet.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Sagebrush posted:

I am pretty sure that you have that backwards. In the video they posted, Penta has the rocket launcher and Choohe has the mines. That's why everyone fighting on Penta is currently getting the rocket launcher for free. Penta will be liberated in a matter of hours but we don't even have access to Choohe yet.

Yeah, you're right, this is what I get when I post before coffee! My bad

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die
drat this cluster launcher is some funny poo poo.

If you've ever wanted to accidentally kill your entire team on extraction, because the projectile detected a light pole 5 meters to your side and detonated right then and there, you've found the right support weapon.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Gave the orbital shrapnel shot a try and got a question, why wouldn't I just bring cluster bombs instead? with all the upgrades it has 5 uses and comes with a big boy eagle strike bomb.

Orbital cluster does more concentrated damage, eagle cluster is more spread out.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it is really nuts that they haven't made the supply lines visible yet though

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Yeah gently caress fire planets. Im ok not doing then atm.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Sagebrush posted:

it is really nuts that they haven't made the supply lines visible yet though

It's probably because the supply lines in most of the map are placeholders, though I guess they could at least show them in active sectors at the very least.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

they want the lines to be a supplies :dadjoke:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

The airburst is something I primarily run with bugs because I can just drop it on a breach and it will kill 75-100% of the bugs. Just right-right-right and I can ignore a breach unless a Charger comes out, and even then it's going to be stripped of the little guys that makes fighting them complicated.

You're right that there's a lot better stuff for bots though.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

I looked at the supply lines on Friday but I guess I got them backwards, because I thought we were gonna have to liberate Chort Bay first and that would open both of the MO planets at the same time. That would make more sense for a thing where the community is supposed to be competing with each other. Of course, it would make a lot more sense for the relevant planets to be immediately available instead of locked behind a mechanic that‘s only visible on a third party website.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Pak choohe unf

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
Trip report. Airburst is very great for repeatedly killing yourself even when there's a completely clear path between you and enemies.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Airburst kills tanks and hulks, unlike clusters.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Airburst would be great if you could do something like hold a charge to determine how far it goes before exploding. The proximity detector it has seems quite traitorous.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I could see airbust being useful in wider spaced areas with a lot of enemies heading to you.

I played alone to test but I’m sure like the mortar it’s garbage when anyone else shows up

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I gotta say the most annoying thing about playing on comms, far more than team kills or bugs, are people who excitedly get on voice and spout useless communication.

"Hulk on me!"
"Bots behind us!"
"I need some help!"

You might as well have not said anything because I can't act on this information. Who is talking? What direction do you mean?

Please at least use cardinal directions and refer to yourself by your code on the map.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You can see who’s talking.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
it would be cool if the rocket didn't arm itself immediately so it didn't go off because of the cover i am behind or a bush that is in the general vicinity. super earth needs to field test their poo poo i think.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

uber_stoat posted:

it would be cool if the rocket didn't arm itself immediately so it didn't go off because of the cover i am behind or a bush that is in the general vicinity. super earth needs to field test their poo poo i think.

We are the field testers.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

You can see who’s talking.

Do you guys play with your discord overlay on?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You’re talking about your homies? We’re just chatting and I know who’s who because of the armor or their name. So when someone says “hulk on me” I know their voice, bc they’re friends lol, and see their name and go to them

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I wouldn’t play this game on discord with people I don’t know honestly. I’d rather just use the in game voice chat for that. Other wise it’s with the homies so I guess this issue isn’t one I can relate too

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

I could see airbust being useful in wider spaced areas with a lot of enemies heading to you.

I played alone to test but I’m sure like the mortar it’s garbage when anyone else shows up

It's really great for a stream of enemies, a PoI of mediums, running from a pack, and breaches like others have said. But yeah it's just a little bit more wide than you expect and this will kill your teammates if anyone is close. I see most people run away from it but a few others treat it like a 500kg they can get kind of close to and those people get chunked up immediately. People probably aren't used to it's range because it's not used that frequently.

Arglebargle III posted:

I gotta say the most annoying thing about playing on comms, far more than team kills or bugs, are people who excitedly get on voice and spout useless communication.

"Hulk on me!"
"Bots behind us!"
"I need some help!"

You might as well have not said anything because I can't act on this information. Who is talking? What direction do you mean?

Please at least use cardinal directions and refer to yourself by your code on the map.

Like Celtic said you can see who's talking, but I'm right there with you. Most of the time I don't even have people say anything as useful as these. Occasionally I'll get "dropping supers off at extract" or someone checking in on the group that's across the map or relaying the shell order of SEAFARTY which is great. Usually I just get:

*vape noise* every twenty seconds
*sharp inhale* "aww gently caress I hate that"
"THATS BULLSHIT"

and that's why I just immediately mute at the first sign of vape noise. That's definitely not every voice comm interaction, I've met and friended several people who had good comms or even lovely mics but where good at communicating, but the staticy breathing followed by failure expletives is far more common.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

cardinal direction isn’t any better. You still have to look around the hi to see where they’re at.

That behind us near me stuff is a bit useless though I agree. Unless we’re all going the same direction. But sometimes the team splits up so if I know the voice isn’t my buddy I just tend to ignore it.

The thing that lets you lock onto objects to tell people what you’re looking is super handy though. Even with voice.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah I prefer the group stick together because firepower is good, but if you're split up cardinal directions are not as useful. If you are together it is useful though, it takes less than a second to look at the compass.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
New rocket pretty reliably kills fabs from the side, but maybe not from the front(or at least, I haven't found the right spot to aim for yet), which is still 50% more angle you can blow them up from.

https://i.imgur.com/PsAddBP.mp4

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

I’ve only had to mute someone for background noise once. Honestly I expected more since I thought PS5 controllers had built-in mics that were on by default. Mostly it’s just silence, I feel like people on mic are pretty rare in most games these days. It’s a far cry from a decade ago where you had 12 year olds saying racist slurs every other game.

So mostly I rely on the in-game callouts. Still kind of hard to keep track of who’s saying what though, cause of the voice changing every death. It’s a very funny and clever detail, but kind of confusing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Strong Sauce posted:

cardinal direction isn’t any better. You still have to look around the hi to see where they’re at.

you give cardinal directions in relation to the person you're speaking to