Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Strong Sauce posted:

you see to fix a programming bug all you need to do is put more people on it. put 5 people on the bug and it will be fixed 5 times faster! dang why didn't anyone figure this out before?

If there is no limfac on the number of programmers who can work the bug, you actually can put 5 people on it then take the “winning” solution. Not guaranteed to be faster and definitely costs more but it *could* be faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

What if you have I dunno two people that understand the underlying code well enough to fix it, and they have to take time to train the other 5 people in how to potentially fix it instead of just using the same time to... fix it

Scaling is hard. :shrug:

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Angry_Ed posted:

"Turns out the black hole grenades destabilized space-time and now Fenrir III has been consumed by a rapidly expanding black hole"

Do helmire next.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

QA/testing also has to happen to make sure the fix isn't actually a huge game breaking bug in disguise.

The game's doing pretty well. It launched in a hosed up state and did extremely well. Way more crashes and weapon balance issues than we have now and it did numbers. I feel like they've got a winning formula and gamers just like to complain when things aren't fixed and better yesterday.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

melting down about game bugs that the devs said they fixed 20 days ago and have been waiting for cert in a build that will be released this week ftw

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

yeah they really should have pumped the brakes on the warbonds. they can't fix basic stuff and keep shoving more on top of it

Companies have different departments and developer groups. They can do more than one thing at a time. They don't have all developers working on bug fixes.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
IIRC, the DoT fix is slated to be in the next patch so I’ll reserve judgement until then at the very least. I think people are mostly pissed about the DoT issues atm, plus lingering trauma from Fatshark and the Autodesk Engine in general is generating a lot more paranoia and cynicism than there might otherwise be.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
FYI we now know the Spear fix isn't until the next major patch because it's too risky to toss into a hotfix.

I'm going to assume when they said "next patch" for the fire rework they meant the same thing.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

I see very little of this in game. People are certainly aware of it and wish it would be fixed but they mostly just play around it and stillenjoy the game, its brought up sometimes, rarely, among more chatty players.

The devs have to pay attention to their player base, and they definitely are listening in discord and reddit, but also gamers are just the worst and that's highlighted on reddit threads.

Sometime I have hope for humanity and then I see Stellarblade drama.

Oh well, Helldivers 2 and a bunch of others are still great fun for now.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

NmareBfly posted:

I saw people saying ballistic shield plus dagger is actually pretty good vs bots, you can just shield up and do headshots all day. I have not tried myself.

Guess I'll find out after I grab cutting edge...

Take Defender SMG as primary too. Great with the shield.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Doctor Zero posted:

Companies have different departments and developer groups. They can do more than one thing at a time. They don't have all developers working on bug fixes.

Unless something changed they said this is not true for them. The guys making guns are fixing guns.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

honestly the amount of dev time being put into new aasets for warbonds is probably next to nothing compared to the rest of the content in development. iirc there's like two or three months worth of unreleased armor and weapons and stratagems that they're sitting on.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Sindai posted:

FYI we now know the Spear fix isn't until the next major patch because it's too risky to toss into a hotfix.

Good move on their part, wouldnt want them to accidentally break it

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
It usually works the way it is now so yes, that would be the major concern.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I can only remember the names of like 4 guns in this game, can someone suggest a short list of the bigger winners to check out in the rebalance?

So far I intend to try out the Blitzer shotgun again after being pretty disappointed in it when I unlocked it.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
What’s the best way to deal with chargers on max difficulty?

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Chaos Dunk the EAT beacon into the first one

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

skasion posted:

Flamethrower works really well

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

You can legit kill a charger in ~2 seconds when DoT thing is working. Otherwise its like 4 iirc?

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

skasion posted:

Antitank directly to face, accept no alternatives.

Flamethrower is pretty fast as a host but otherwise takes too long.

Taking out the butt takes too much ammo and takes a while for them to bleed out.

Leg animation bug is doable but slow.

Autocannon to leg joints is very finicky.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

skasion posted:

EAT/RR/Quasar to the face is a oneshot, Spear (lol) will also kill it if the lock-on gods favor you (they won't). Orbital Railcannon is a solid "I want the biggest thing near me GONE" option. Eagle Airstrike/500kg will mulch them. Autocannon turret will melt them & bile titans but make sure it's somewhere they can't reach, Chargers can and will prioritize turrets and tear right thru them.

Black Noise posted:

Chaos Dunk the EAT beacon into the first one

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Airburst rocket is pretty good against bots on relatively open planets. I took it out on the ice planet and was getting a ton of kills. The trick is to aim beside (ideally behind, but that's often not possible) the targets.

I tried the Scythe too and while it's not terrible against bots you'd really need a shield backpack to be able to reliably fight devastators. Otherwise you get flinched too much when you could be using other primaries to do the flinching instead.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Horace Kinch posted:

Orbital Railcannon is a solid "I want the biggest thing near me GONE" option.

Except when you throw it 1 centimeter too short and it locks onto the flea next to the beacon instead.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

WarpedLichen posted:

Antitank directly to face, accept no alternatives.

*Forehead.

(Yeah shooting in the armor plate above the mouth is actually a more reliable kill than the exposed lower part)

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 30, 2024

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Yeah I’ve found the most effective place to aim is the least instinctive: the highest point of the armor plate above its face

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Airburst rocket is pretty good against bots on relatively open planets. I took it out on the ice planet and was getting a ton of kills. The trick is to aim beside (ideally behind, but that's often not possible) the targets.

It can kill hulks and tanks but it's inconsistent and requires a good angle, so I wouldn't take more than one in a group the way it is now. If thermite grenades were good they would actually be a great complement to the weapon.

I tried the Scythe too and while it's not terrible against bots you'd really need a shield gen to be able to reliably fight devastators. Otherwise you get flinched too much when you could be using other primaries to do the flinching instead.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Kinda wild how bugs are actually more heavily armoured with less weak spots than the robots.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Drone_Fragger posted:

Kinda wild how bugs are actually more heavily armoured with less weak spots than the robots.

It's probably because they're almost entirely melee focused. Even most of their ranged attacks don't travel very far in the grand scheme of things.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
I like to shoost robots and bugs with weapon

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

skasion posted:

:prepop: Secret tip for extra cool helldivers: if you actually reliably hit them, good 'ol basic "orbital precision strike" kills tanks just as well as orbital railcannon(maybe slightly higher damage, actually), except it has a bit of splash radius and less than half the cooldown.

Hitting with it is the hard part, then, simce it doesn't track like railcannon-but if you have stun grenades, it's trivial. Either a stun followed by a quick ➡️➡️⬆️ or the other way around will hold the charger in place right on top of the beacon, and it will always kill it. Titans are trickier but not as hard a moving charger, you bait them into puking/stomping on the beacon just like with 500kgs.

This is especially nice if you want to run something other than EAT/quasar/flamethrower in your support slot. I've been having a good time running redeemer/eruptor/stun + precision strike/500kg/rover/stalwart, using stalwart/eruptor as a combo along with support from rover for hordes of common bugs and killing chargers/titans with precision strike/500kg. It's a lot more sustainable than doing the same thing with orbital rail due to orbital rail's 210s cooldown compared to precision strike's 100s cooldown.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Apr 30, 2024

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Sindai posted:

I tried the Scythe too and while it's not terrible against bots you'd really need a shield gen to be able to reliably fight devastators. Otherwise you get flinched too much when you could be using other primaries to do the flinching instead.

if you aren't killing them with headshots before they start shooting then don't bother with the scythe honestly

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

turn off the TV posted:

honestly the amount of dev time being put into new aasets for warbonds is probably next to nothing compared to the rest of the content in development. iirc there's like two or three months worth of unreleased armor and weapons and stratagems that they're sitting on.

yea exactly

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Drone_Fragger posted:

Bugs were created by millions of years of (undemocratic) evolution.

Bots were created (probably) (consult your democracy officer) undemocratic humans.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

Dinosaurs! posted:

Yeah I’ve found the most effective place to aim is the least instinctive: the highest point of the armor plate above its face

This is the singular fact I point directly at whenever someone starts prattling on about the integrity of the developers artistic vision for the game. Sometimes art is bad and you should criticize it accordingly.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Fell into a hole in the geometry and the only way out was grenading myself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGJj0dc5SBA

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Slyphic posted:

This is the singular fact I point directly at whenever someone starts prattling on about the integrity of the developers artistic vision for the game. Sometimes art is bad and you should criticize it accordingly.

Idk, Shooting an anti-armor rocket at an armored weak point makes sense to me? Certainly more sensical than shooting the leg armor off and then killing them that way.

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

skasion posted:

NOT thermite grenades, and 'm salty about it! It does "melt" the armor in that after it explodes its possible to get a damage notification on it, but its not consistent and i'm :smith: about it

turn off the TV posted:

Here's something that I've thought about; every story beat so far has been associated with specific dialogue by in-game characters, which were recorded who knows when, so this isn't even the tip of the iceberg yet, we don't really know how far along they are in their post launch story map, and thats so cool! it kinda feels like maybe they were in a "we'll fix it in post" where they developed a bunch of assets and map variances way in advance and are only now dealing with technical passes/performance pass since they had built so much to this point.

Like I keep thinking, I cannot imagine their pipeline, and this is a team of what? 30-60 devs? (im guessing I have no idea), just mind boggles me the amount of work they are churning out, even for something as 'small' as speedloaders for the revolver, like what??

Amazing Member fucked around with this message at 00:41 on May 1, 2024

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008
*double-post eh

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Amazing Member posted:

NOT thermite grenades, and 'm salty about it! It does "melt" the armor in that after it explodes its possible to get a damage on it, but its not consistent and i'm :smith: about it

i assume these will actually do something once they fix the fire damage thing and they aren't working as intended... right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

uber_stoat posted:

i assume these will actually do something once they fix the fire damage thing and they aren't working as intended... right?
They do damage consistently just not enough.