Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Amazing Member posted:

NOT thermite grenades, and 'm salty about it! It does "melt" the armor in that after it explodes its possible to get a damage notification on it, but its not consistent and i'm :smith: about it

Here's something that I've thought about; every story beat so far has been associated with specific dialogue by in-game characters, which were recorded who knows when, so this isn't even the tip of the iceberg yet, we don't really know how far along they are in their post launch story map, and thats so cool! it kinda feels like maybe they were in a "we'll fix it in post" where they developed a bunch of assets and map variances way in advance and are only now dealing with technical passes/performance pass since they had built so much to this point.

Like I keep thinking, I cannot imagine their pipeline, and this is a team of what? 30-60 devs? (im guessing I have no idea), just mind boggles me the amount of work they are churning out, even for something as 'small' as speedloaders for the revolver, like what??

We actually know how far we are because all of it is in the game files. And we're right before the end. Although there might be some fluff orders between now and then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I will forever be amused by how badly people freak out about small nerfs.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

:blastu:

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Disgraced Devs to blame for rampant bugs???

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Mazerunner posted:

New thread title imo

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Mazerunner posted:

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
It would be fun if completing missions in a campaign modified later missions. Launch an icbm? Next mission has less enemies but half the map is radioactive.

Complete a blitz? Next map has 2/3 the spawn bases but 1.25 the patrols

It'd be fun and would let you strategize on which mission type to pick first some times

Its by no means necessary but its a fun idea

Blight Runner
May 3, 2009
When did they fix the iron sights for the Senator in first person mode? It's so much easier to hit things with it now. :clint:

If they ever make a lever gun, I'd have to do a cowboy build. Previous game did port in space versions of old guns so there might be a hope.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

LazyMaybe posted:

:prepop: Secret tip for extra cool helldivers: if you actually reliably hit them, good 'ol basic "orbital precision strike" kills tanks just as well as orbital railcannon(maybe slightly higher damage, actually), except it has a bit of splash radius and less than half the cooldown.

Hitting with it is the hard part, then, simce it doesn't track like railcannon-but if you have stun grenades, it's trivial. Either a stun followed by a quick ➡️➡️⬆️ or the other way around will hold the charger in place right on top of the beacon, and it will always kill it. Titans are trickier but not as hard a moving charger, you bait them into puking/stomping on the beacon just like with 500kgs.

This is especially nice if you want to run something other than EAT/quasar/flamethrower in your support slot. I've been having a good time running redeemer/eruptor/stun + precision strike/500kg/rover/stalwart, using stalwart/eruptor as a combo along with support from rover for hordes of common bugs and killing chargers/titans with precision strike/500kg. It's a lot more sustainable than doing the same thing with orbital rail due to orbital rail's 210s cooldown compared to precision strike's 100s cooldown.

Funny enough I did a throwback kit and it's surprisingly effective. OG AR, Senator, (Strata-weapon of choice) plus Orbital strike, Airstrike, Strafing run. Having some upgrades on my ship makes the Stratagems considerably more effective and the OG Autorifle is STILL a solid primary.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

LazyMaybe posted:

:prepop: Secret tip for extra cool helldivers: if you actually reliably hit them, good 'ol basic "orbital precision strike" kills tanks just as well as orbital railcannon(maybe slightly higher damage, actually), except it has a bit of splash radius and less than half the cooldown.

Hitting with it is the hard part, then, simce it doesn't track like railcannon-but if you have stun grenades, it's trivial. Either a stun followed by a quick ➡️➡️⬆️ or the other way around will hold the charger in place right on top of the beacon, and it will always kill it. Titans are trickier but not as hard a moving charger, you bait them into puking/stomping on the beacon just like with 500kgs.

This is especially nice if you want to run something other than EAT/quasar/flamethrower in your support slot. I've been having a good time running redeemer/eruptor/stun + precision strike/500kg/rover/stalwart, using stalwart/eruptor as a combo along with support from rover for hordes of common bugs and killing chargers/titans with precision strike/500kg. It's a lot more sustainable than doing the same thing with orbital rail due to orbital rail's 210s cooldown compared to precision strike's 100s cooldown.

Have you tried making eagle airstrike work against bile titans? It seems like use would be almost same as 500kg. Aggro, turn 90°, throw at ground, bait, dodge perpendicular to eagle. Bit harder to use but you get three instead of 2.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Blight Runner posted:

When did they fix the iron sights for the Senator in first person mode? It's so much easier to hit things with it now. :clint:

If they ever make a lever gun, I'd have to do a cowboy build. Previous game did port in space versions of old guns so there might be a hope.

they already made a lever action rifle

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

turn off the TV posted:

it's still just hidden in the data files though

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Dren posted:

Have you tried making eagle airstrike work against bile titans? It seems like use would be almost same as 500kg. Aggro, turn 90°, throw at ground, bait, dodge perpendicular to eagle. Bit harder to use but you get three instead of 2.
I have. In my experience it's ok but you often wind up needing more strikes.
But if you want more flexibility, it is an option.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Astroniomix posted:

It's not a bug (if anything it's a bug fix) but wasn't playtested at all, the range shrapnel can travel from the point of impact is significant and the shards do a shitload of damage. Prior to this patch you couldn't take damage from your own projectiles, only from explosions/fire.

So in reality this gun should have been killing us on firing it but no friendly fire from your own bullets means it didn't.

That's amazing :allears:

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer

Video Nasty posted:

Fell into a hole in the geometry and the only way out was grenading myself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGJj0dc5SBA

On that exact map earlier this morning I ended up hell diving in and landed on a mutant egg with another dude and we got stuck in the egg and had to kill ourselves to get out. Well, he killed me with a grenade and freed me.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

I got ragdolled into the hole in a stalker nest. Interestingly I wasn't dead and shooting my grenade pistol destroyed the hole and the nest. The second one killed me, but it was interesting that I didn't die automatically.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

skasion posted:

What’s the best way to deal with chargers on max difficulty?

Max style points option: kite it in front of a Bile Titan before the shower of puke and let daddy long legs melt it.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
The new TCS maps have some big holes in them. I got stuck down one with no grenades and the eagle wouldn't hit me in there. Eventually I was able to drop a set of EATs on the edge, barely able to shoot the pod to break it, and one luckily dropped into the pit so I could blow myself up.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Playing some more tonight, I feel like the Eruptor just has a 1% chance to kill you every time you fire from any range. The shrapnel just needs the right RNG to instakill you on each shot. It was what killed me the most, and I've been using Eruptor for weeks, so I have some idea of how to be safe with it and minimum ranges.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

Ravendas posted:

Playing some more tonight, I feel like the Eruptor just has a 1% chance to kill you every time you fire from any range. The shrapnel just needs the right RNG to instakill you on each shot. It was what killed me the most, and I've been using Eruptor for weeks, so I have some idea of how to be safe with it and minimum ranges.
That 1% instagib chance has shelved it for me til the patch comes. Loved it for weeks, but stupid random deaths aren't any kind of good fun. I also skipped PO:mortar sentry day.

In the same camp of fixes that suck, I just got out of a squad wipe mission on a low-vis mission at night and those fuckers are now completely undetectable until they're 'nothing personal kid'ing you in the back. By all means improve the camo, but give me some other way to tell that one is about to attack. Audio cues would be super cool

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Stalkers are loving insane now. Did they up the number alive at a time too? I swear we had 6 on us at once at one point and I don't recall seeing more than 2 at once in the past. Me and Another guy were able to close the nest but it was by far the hardest part of the mission.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
No, you could definitely have 6 out a time previously, especially if the stalker nest had two big holes (two stalker holes) instead of having one.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
You can have up to 8 stalkers at once from a single double hole stalker nest, I've complained about it a couple times here. You need a lot of firepower to make it through to the nest, but you can normally just toss a 500kg / Eagle AS over the wall and both holes go boom.

In atmospheric spores and with a spore spewer up, it gets kind of dicey because they appear right in front of you.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Before it was very unusual to actually max out on stalkers since they were so easy to track and kill at range after retreating. Not so much now! I love it.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

skasion posted:

What’s the best way to deal with chargers on max difficulty?

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

LazyMaybe posted:

I have. In my experience it's ok but you often wind up needing more strikes.
But if you want more flexibility, it is an option.

I tried your build as posted and it’s quite good. Only weakness is dying away from gear. Stun + orbital precision on Chargers is clean. Stalwart + Eruptor can clean up a patrol with a bunch of medium bugs very quickly.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

That’s what’s up

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Wholesome moment: These random level 30 dudes called the pelican, they actually waited for me. I was cleaning up the last 2 nests and 2 poi during their evac call in time while they guarded the site. Throwing up thank yous along the way is just :shobon:

https://i.imgur.com/fk3RQyw.mp4

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Man I knew it shouldn’t have looked but boy howdy is Reddit having a meltdown over the Queso nerf, like people straight up posting “how do they expect us to do 9’s now?”.

The same way you did before? Fling eats around like they are party candy and don’t get bogged down fighting bug breaches next to a POI that only has ammo and grenades?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Now that it works properly, the cluster rocket launcher is so much fun to use, at least against buggs. Guessing its damage is just too unreliable to take out high level Devestator swarms.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Quesadivers, I get it, but you really need to try out some other, funner, options

Things that can fill that queso sized heart:
EATS
RR
Laser cannon, weirdly enough
Railgun now, supposedly?

And if you love fun, you can always bring a senator and have a good time

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I want to hear from someone who likes it what the liberator concussive is good for now. I like the feel of a low RPM automatic but it's still competing with the Scythe when it comes to DPS and doesn't have its precision. Maybe if you're always sticking with your team so you suppress medium enemies while they kill them?

Unfortunately it did not seem to stop nursing spewers from spitting.

Mordja posted:

Now that it works properly, the cluster rocket launcher is so much fun to use, at least against buggs. Guessing its damage is just too unreliable to take out high level Devestator swarms.
It works fine on devastators, especially if the rockets hit their back. If it doesn't kill them it leaves them heavily damaged and easy to finish off.

Blight Runner
May 3, 2009

turn off the TV posted:

Thanks! Looking forward to it.

On an unrelated note, I also noticed there is a "Toggle HUD" you can bind a key to. But I can't seem to get it to work. Is this an unimplemented feature? Would be cool to get rid of the HUD like they do in photo modes.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

These new bug missions are so absurdly easy that I'm willing to speculate the termicide was actually working and the reason the bugs were building these big pillars was to move it away from them, and we're going to find out we deactivated them just in time to allow the creation of some super bug like the hive lord

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'm not sure if I'm just imagining things, but I think there are more Hive Lord skeletons around than there used to be, and recently I started seeing something that looks like a big eel worm shed snakeskin that I don't think was always in the maps.

:woop:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Dren posted:

I tried your build as posted and it’s quite good. Only weakness is dying away from gear. Stun + orbital precision on Chargers is clean. Stalwart + Eruptor can clean up a patrol with a bunch of medium bugs very quickly.
I do also like running with MG40 instead of stalwart sometimes, it's better when you get too many brood commanders/hiveguards mixed in for eruptor to chunk through quickly. Or when you have a bunch of bile spewers, because MG40 can pen their head armor unlike stalwart. It's just that many people don't like finding time to do the stationary reload.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
I went back to EATs for a bit but I don't like having to remember to call them constantly and run back to get to the second one. Quasar plus stun grenades means see a charger? Charger dead. Bile titans are a little more annoying with the cooldown increase but still can't see myself taking anything else.

It would be novel if I felt like I could take anything but an anti heavy armour support for bugs but I guess that makes the difference in factions more pronounced. Bots you don't need heavy armour support but instead something that can do mediums and hulks quickly, of which the AC is superior. Maybe the 3rd faction will need a totally different loadout priority, I sure hope so.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Rhymenoserous posted:

Man I knew it shouldn’t have looked but boy howdy is Reddit having a meltdown over the Queso nerf, like people straight up posting “how do they expect us to do 9’s now?”.

The same way you did before? Fling eats around like they are party candy and don’t get bogged down fighting bug breaches next to a POI that only has ammo and grenades?

hell, the new quasar is still more than good enough for 9s. It's not a clear winner over RR/EATs anymore but being able to pop a charger every 15seconds or kill a spore spewer/titan/shrieker nest in 17seconds is nothing to sneeze at.

I feel this way about pretty much every weapon nerf though, pretty much every single weapon has valid use cases now and there are no big stinkers except maybe the crossbow. Nothing feels overpowered anymore.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 06:31 on May 1, 2024

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
The crossbow is great against bots now.

It would probably feel good against bugs if it's a spewer map, but no way to know in advance. I wish spewers were always mixed in instead of being all or nothing.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 06:41 on May 1, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Sindai posted:

It would probably feel good against bugs if it's a spewer map, but no way to know in advance. I wish they'd always mix up bug spawns.

It takes more than 5 shots to bile spewer head and 4+ shots to bile spewer butts, it isn't very effective, sadly