Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

This game is the first time I've ever went past the refund window for a game without even being able to play it once, lmao

e: holy poo poo I got in seconds after this post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Gonna launch this game before leaving for work and hope I'm logged in by the time I get home :kiddo:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

CuddleCryptid posted:

It's probably everyone AFKing over the workday to keep their sever slot, who should be shot for their electricity waste and also for wasting capacity, not necessarily in that order.

I tried leaving for work while in the login lottery and I just got home 8 hours later and I'm still not logged in :mad: I just submitted a refund request that hopefully goes through and I'll consider re-buying the game when it's actually playable lmao

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Feb 19, 2024

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I got a good chuckle out of the tutorial going out of its way to tell you that friendly fire is 100% unavoidable and there's absolutely nothing, not one single thing, that you can do to prevent it. So I don't get people being mad about it at all.

e: I mean this re: him being mad you squashed him not you being mad he shot you to death

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

drat I agree with everything else everyone has said about how awful this game is to play with matchmaking. Pretty much every group I join has someone in voice comms yelling at everyone else to stick together, move slowly, and make sure you kill everything before moving on. Most of them can't complete a single mission and are sure it's because people are moving too fast.

Some groups are cool though

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Feb 23, 2024

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

isk posted:

Gave HD2 an honest bash. Super happy they seem to have stabilized the serverside issues, proud of their Discord mods insta-banning bigots, and I like the transparency of their leads. I just... I can't with all the teamkills. I know it's the tone of the game, I know respawns are generous, etc. etc. It's merely not my thing

You pretty much only get teamkilled if you stand next to orbital/air strikes or turrets so just don't do that :shrug: It's rare enough for me that it's funny when it happens

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Feb 25, 2024

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Baron Porkface posted:

Is it the same number of medals?

You don't get medals that they got for missions they've already completed. But if the first mission gives 4, the second gives 6 and the third gives 8 and you join on mission 3, you get 8 from that mission.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

isk posted:

This is as helpful as saying "just don't take damage! dummy!!"

If someone drops an Eagle near me, of course I try to get away. Same with lines of fire. If there's a wave of enemies, I set up at a good angle from teammates with some distance between us. All that stuff. However, there's only so much I can control, and there are absolutely mouthbreathers and griefers out there. It's how it goes in online games that have a large playerbase

There's only two places that people throw airstrikes: buildings/nests that need to be destroyed and inside large swarms of enemies. At least that's my experience even playing with randoms in matchmaking

If you're standing next to either one of those, you're in a bad position. Don't stand next to the buildings/spawners and don't let yourself get swarmed - you're in control of both of these things!

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

isk posted:

Buildings, yes. I avoid those! Swarms are contingent on the other folks pressing buttons enough to thin their portion of the herd. IME it's a common enough occurrence, then they panic and throw a beacon into a bad place (i.e. on a teammate). Or they're just chaotic and like blowing up whatever they can. This isn't to say it's everyone else's experience - it clearly is not! And that's alright. I'm glad a ton of folks are enjoying the core loop here

Anyway, I didn't post to solicit advice (even if it's well-intended). Sometimes people have different experiences in the same game without doing anything wrong

I know you're not soliciting advice so feel free to ignore this and play the game the way you want to play it (or don't play it), but what I mean is that if you're even in a position where you're counting on other people to thin the herd you're not positioning yourself well - this game is all about quick hit and run tactics, running away from things and breaking LoS, and just in general staying away from the enemies as much as possible. A swarm is an indication that you should not be where you are right now. The teams that try to fight the big swarms are the teams that fail, for more reasons than just friendly fire. You're guerilla operators, not supersoldiers. Just drop an orbital/eagle on them and run away.

I think that in and of itself is sort of a strike against the game because I'd love for straight up firefights to be more viable, and the higher difficulties get pretty restrictive on how you can play while still succeeding - but if you're regularly getting hit by friendly fire it's because you're not playing the game the way it "wants" to be played. And it doesn't do a good job of explaining that to the player, which is why a lot of matchmaking teams I join on mid-level difficulties end up suffering in a meat grinder and killing each other with friendly fire while I'm running around on my own doing objectives with minimal resistance.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Feb 25, 2024

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Shadowlyger posted:

Honestly it feels like the best thing to do, particularly on higher difficulties, is to split up. Not only does it let you cover more ground but it splits up the swarms and prevents the reinforcement cascade that inevitably ends in you being overrun. If someone triggers reinforcements, they just haul rear end, no problem.

:yeah: it lends itself well to splitting into two two-person groups, both for the mentioned reason and because it allows you to cover twice as many objectives in the same amount of time. There aren't many objectives that are even particularly easier with four people there.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I've been playing with the jump pack on every drop and so the bots are a huge pain in the rear end for me because they have a bunch of ranged attacks, but the bugs are pretty easy because I can always outmaneuver and outrun them then turn around and EAT their face.

Focusing on maneuverability, small arms (stalwart) and minefields otherwise and yeah I can't kill big bugs as easily as everyone else but I can harass like a motherfucker, clear all the chaff, and run away to do an objective or PoI. Pretty easy to peel chargers off the group, lead them to somewhere out of the way and lose them too.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Feb 25, 2024

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

JBP posted:

I just sneak away like Frodo while the other three go full Boromir. I watch the twinkly red lights shooting into the air from a distance as I silently push the buttons on the objectives.

Every time I do this (and then complete multiple secondary missions, gather a ton of samples and salute pods, kill a few nests etc before the rest of the team is done with the one single meat grinder) I get kicked as soon as we get back to the ship :(

E: it's still worth it though because these are the same teams that struggle just to complete the main objective and extract and I wouldn't be getting all the extra goodies otherwise. I hope they enjoy having no one dealing with the stalkers and collecting poo poo on their next mission :colbert:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Feb 25, 2024

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

You don't have to fight any of the chargers, basically ever if you don't want to :colbert:. Just lead them away from the fight and run around a rock or something and they will stop chasing and then stand there stupefied indefinitely.

It works for the big mean mechs too. Just have someone draw their attention (by shooting at them) then lead them away and give them the slip.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I rush extraction if I'm on one of those dumb maps that have fog clouds covering the entire minimap because trying to find PoIs without the minimap sucks

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I've been using the Stalwart and Jump Pack and this is my answer to everything. Everyone talks about needing railguns or whatever but I can just lead a charger away from the group and leave it staring at a wall, never to bother us again.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Tom Tucker posted:

Nope all together. The “breach detected” banner just never left the screen and the music was the intense fight music.

In both cases at difficulty 7 not a single bug appeared after we activated Evac for 4 minutes.

This has happened to me several times lately specifically on rank 7 bug missions

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The worst I've seen recently in several people in different matches TKing explicitly to steal my backpack

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Dyz posted:

GL is apparently a meta weapon for bugs because it closes holes and doesnt take a backpack slot.

If you take it with the supply backpack you can pretty much use it with a primary weapon and it's great against everything except chargers and titans. Both of which are easy to deal with if you've cleared out the swarm of small bugs and artillery bugs with grenade spam.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Apes-A-Poppin posted:

Ballistic Shield a universally bad stratagem? I've been rocking that and the Defender smg against bots whole day and loving it. It's been said before in this thread and I feel likewise, that just playing with what you like is a valid way to go. I'm still figuring out the game's system but it feels that there's lots of little niches a player can carve out for themselves.

I've been finding that anything is viable if you're used to it, and everything feels terrible if you're not. So people think everything except what they're used to using is terrible.

I love all the non-AP weapons and find the railgun/autocannon/RR/etc too restrictive and I don't at all find chargers for example to be a problem with small arms. They have several weakpoints that can be hit from any direction except straight in front of them, they're easy to circlestrafe, and they're a complete non-threat if you've cleared out all the smaller bugs and artillery fuckers already.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I play on difficulty 8 and I haven't found anything that doesn't seem viable. My favorites are the Stalwart and Defender SMG and I'm starting to warm up to the Arc Thrower :shrug:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I don't use the glitch to kill chargers - they just straight up have several obviously-colored weak points on their inner legs and belly that you can shoot with small arms, and it's very easy to shoot them in first-person at close range (which is probably the safest place to be against chargers because you can run in circles and they'll stand in one place eternally rotating to face you)

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The butt is definitely not their only weak point because I blow off their legs with a SMG while they're standing still and haven't charged recently all the time, that's my primary way of killing them. The weak point is on the inside of their legs around the knee area and IIRC there's also one somewhere around where the legs connect to the body on the sides. I'll try to grab a screenshot next time I'm close to one but they're pretty easy to see once you realize they're there because they're the same color as the butt.

e: You can see them on this screenshot I found on google:

All of the parts that are the same color as the butt can be shot with non-AP weapons though I'm not sure if all weapons can hurt them there :shrug: The Breaker, Defender, and Stalwart can for sure. And with how slow they turn when you're close it's fairly easy to hit them there.

e2: I tried to record a video of this but they're way harder to do this to in a solo mission where they never turn to face anyone else and I got owned :saddowns:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Mar 5, 2024

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I also refuse to use voice chat and I've beat difficulty 9 campaigns with random matchmaking groups who didn't have voice chat either :shrug:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I don't think this game is even particularly enhanced by voice comms, other than being able to laugh with and shoot the poo poo with your teammates. You can convey more tactical information with pings than you can with voice comms, you can tag multiple enemies which visually relays their exact position to your team in a way that voice comms can't, you can mark objectives and locations on your team's compass, etc.

You don't even need to use text chat to communicate anything important.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Triarii posted:

Anyone have any sense for whether the game is less crashy with this patch? My friend group fell off because we just couldn't get through a mission together without at least one person crashing out.

I still have random crashes when joining groups, but the disconnects that happened in the middle of missions seem to be gone, and it's just specifically when joining a group, not once I've actually joined. So it's still fairly crashy but in a way that doesn't interfere with playing the game.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Reiley posted:

I don't like fighting Chargers. I'm confused that shooting it in the rear end doesn't seem to work, and you instead need to break armor off a leg to kill it. I do most of my fighting on the automaton front, where you can shoot a tank in the rear end and make it explode. I hope the developers can see their exciting and genuinely enjoyable world through my eyes.

If you use a grenade launcher against bugs you can take a charger down in just a few butt shots, explosive damage does 100% damage there. Grenade launcher is also just insanely good against bugs paired with a supply pack anyway.

A lot of people find bots easier but I think it's just familiarity because I find bugs very easy but I am terrified of bots because of how hard they own me if I have even part of one limb exposed. Overall very much appreciate the design of how different the factions are to play against and how much familiarity seems to help with feeling confident about them. Can't wait for the third to get added eventually!!

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Lmao how the gently caress is anyone using the flamethrower in this patch and saying it's bad? You can kill 4 chargers with a single mag and it basically instagibs everything lighter than a charger

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

If anything I feel like this game is easier (against bugs) now because frankly the Railgun was already bad and slower at killing things than other options, and now people are feeling forced to use the actually-good guns instead of focusing their entire strategy around being able to blow off charger feet like an early 2000s youtube frag vid.

Like, the grenade launcher was already faster at killing Chargers than the railgun before today, with the side benefit of actually being good against everything else too. And now that difference is even more pronounced.

Basically I feel like everyone using the Railgun was making the game way loving harder for themselves all along, you can tell because they were the only people who thought the game was particularly hard (against bugs). Chargers are and always have been a complete non-threat that are only scary in the middle of a big swarm of small bugs, which the railgun has no way to deal with, which made Chargers appear more threatening than they are to railgun users, which reinforced their idea that they needed a Railgun to deal with Chargers. But if you're dealing with all the real threats (a.k.a. artillery bugs and swarms of hoppers) well, you can just (very easily) sidestep Chargers like a charging bull and send a couple grenades up their rear end and they just die instantly. And now you can do that with the Flamethrower too. And probably any 'explosive' tagged weapon.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Mar 7, 2024

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

My experience is 100% with matchmaking groups so yeah I can't speak for how a consistent teammate's loadouts affects your loadouts. But in the vacuum of matchmaking level 8-9 bug matches the artillery bugs are the ones I see causing the most deaths. Bile titans always get blown up with orbitals right away, and chargers are literally like 3 or 4 grenades to the rear end to kill, which takes less time to fire than it does to charge up a single railgun shot.

It's possible that people who are brave enough to do level 8-9 matchmaking groups are just better than average players which makes the bugs overall pretty easy, because I only hear people who play with premades and use lots of railguns talking about the difficulty of bugs. Every matchmaking group wipes the floor with them and even before the patch I'd say railguns were fairly uncommon in them.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Mar 7, 2024

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Here's my standard experience with chargers and bile titans
https://i.imgur.com/fLim3II.mp4

Yeah a guy does shoot the bile titan with a railgun but he didn't 1-shot it :colbert:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Baby T. Love posted:

Are you counting the time it takes for the charger to walk within charging range and then charge past you to expose their butt? Because you could just break the leg armor in about 3 seconds pre-patch with the Railgun from any distance.

Using virtually any weapon other than the railgun, you can spend that time taking out all the small bugs which are the real threat instead.

Like yes you can kill Chargers from range with a railgun. But that leaves time for the actually threatening enemies to approach. You could instead spend that time killing the threatening enemies, effortlessly pirouette around the charger without having to worry about small enemies, and blow it up once it passes you.

The chargers are only scary because you're having to focus on small enemies at the same time, and it's easier to wipe the small enemies from the board which neuters the chargers.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

LazyMaybe posted:

it is loving unbelievable how hard it is to get randoms to press the double buttons for bunkers with you.

I was trying to get (nearby!) players to come over to one just now.
typed in chat "buttons here", no response. then "bunker here", still nothing.
pinged the spot multiple times, no reaction.
reinforce someone right next to it to ensure they see it, completely ignored.
turn on my mic to say "hey, buttons here, could someone come over", nada.

these guys just hate multiple chances at supercred drops I guess. situational awareness -100

If you tag through the door you can tag what's inside and find out whether it's supplies or medals/credits/requisition. I've found people are much more willing to come open them when you can tell them it's the latter, iirc you even announce it with a voice line when tagging them.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Apple Craft posted:

So, when devs say that we are supposed to rely more on our support weapons and primaries shouldn't be all powerful, I wonder if they even realize they made a game that does this?
https://packaged-media.redd.it/yi29...8c6d5d0f860#t=0
Stolen from Reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/Helldivers/comments/1bae4hx/postpatch_helldive_difficulty_is_some_fucking/

The thing about situations like this is they just don't happen if you have someone cleaning up all the small bugs, giving breathing room to others to kill heavies and elites. It doesn't suddenly spawn a dozen bile titans on you, it spawns one or two at a time, and they stack up over time if all 4 players are carrying things like railguns or ACs and don't have ways to quickly deal with the swarm so they have to spend a lot of time repositioning and dealing with small enemies. But if you have someone with a nade launcher or stalwart or something focused on cleaning up the small bugs, the bigger ones just get chumped as they spawn instead of stacking up into giant hellpits.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I guess this is just a consequence of playing mid-day on weekends but everyone's extremely kick-happy today. Just got kicked from 4 missions in a row. No real reasons I can suss out for the kicks either, just playing a mission for 15 mins, not doing any friendly fire, killin' big bugs and small bugs alike, completing multiple objectives... then suddenly "You've been kicked"

I will say though I'm really enjoying a laser rave build with scythe, laser cannon, and laser dog. Even Chargers are easy to kill because your dog will often blow their leg armor off with the animation bug while you're running away from them and the laser cannon just absolutely melts their legs. Scythe isn't great overall but especially combined with the dog it's great for swapping to and taking out small bugs while your cannon cools down, and the cooldown times for it and the cannon are pretty much in line with each others' heat up time so you never stop lasering unless you're on a hot map, where I wouldn't bring this loadout anyway. The dog makes up for the biggest weakness of laser weapons which is struggling when enemies get close.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 10, 2024

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I've had nothing but success using a mech against bugs. I think even the tiniest splash of explosive damage instakills mechs so I'm suspecting that's what's leading to a lot of the posts about mechs blowing up for seemingly no reason - either clipping yourself with the edge of a rocket explosion that was too close, or friendly fire from a single explosive round or being right on the edge of a stratagem. I tend to call it in and stomp around off on my own and haven't had any issues with it exploding unexpectedly when I'm not near teammates. This is also why it dies so ridiculously fast to bots. I haven't blown myself up by firing while turning yet but I'm often backpedaling while firing rockets which I'd imagine helps prevent that.

One of the biggest clutch uses I've seen from it is that it can walk through water without slowing down. If you're stuck on one side of a river and getting swarmed you can just drop the mech and ride it across the river, all the bugs chasing you will get slowed down and you can make an easy getaway.

It's also great when you die and can't get your gun/backpack back, it lasts long enough to handle bugs while waiting for your cooldowns.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Kly posted:

how do you melee attack with the mech? i push the button i use for melee on foot but nothing happens.

For some reason only some of the mechs you call down can melee. I can confirm that it's not related to whether it's the free mech vs the strategem mech, and it's not from the two different model variants (two gas cans on the back vs 1)

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The seismic objectives definitely cause hella bug breaches to spawn (like 4-5+ at a time) but overall I've been seeing relatively few Chargers/Titans in my level 7 missions today, like maybe 3 titans and 6 or so chargers throughout an entire mission

Maybe it's a planet-specific thing or something, I've been on Fenrir all day

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

This is one of the most satisfying feelings in this whole game :allears:

https://i.imgur.com/tz9kWtE.mp4

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Mar 11, 2024

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Third World Reagan posted:

just one type of bug

the stalker

Yeah bugs are absurdly easy to stealth past outside of Stalkers. Way easier than bots in my experience. In light armor you can pretty much walk within 5-10 feet of them and be fine as long as you're not directly ahead of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

It's always easier to ditch heavy bugs than it is to fight them so hell yeah I play this game like it's metal gear solid. Just draw them away from something and break LoS for one second and you can go back and do the objective unhindered. Bugs only get difficult when someone else follows you to an objective and tries to fight everything, or in forced combat sections like extractions. And it's fun as hell to Solid Snake it.