Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Huszsersvn posted:

There's a lot of ship names that are redundant:

You missed my ship name, Dawn of Dawn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Diephoon posted:

I only tried one defense mission on the easiest difficulty and even then the amount of bot drops was crazy high. I do like that they remind me of X-COM terror missons. We should all be happy that we're not being fragged immediately on drop by a nerdy alien with a guided grenade launcher.

I've eaten a rocket within seconds of reinforcing

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Did you know that the planetfall loading screen isn't just a video? If you get stuck on it the corono on the front of the leftmost pod will start moving away and the second pod will move out of it entirely

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Grimnarsson posted:

Something is going on since I can play the game but only on solo, even though I'm on public. No SOS beacons to be found and no one joins any game I start.

yeah matchmaking is busted right now, you pretty much have to join in on your friends list

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

So that patch note that the civilian extract was made easier?

That was a goddamn lie.

definitely is not a lie

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
If you're joining in on a mission in progress I'd really appreciate it if the game would tell you what type of mission you're going into. Saw everyone else has a bunch of turrets so figured it was a scientist rescue or defense and brought my loadout for that and it was an ICBM mission

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Recoilless Rifle is so fun on bot defense/scientist gathering missions, just did those two back and back and got every bot drop but two on the scientist gathering and literally every one on the defense map

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Just did an evacuation mission with a level 39 player who had to ask how many scientist doors there were and then spent the whole match fighting from the evac platform and not opening any doors

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Owl Inspector posted:

The grenade launcher and autocannon can do it, but you rarely have the angle where the autocannon can hit deep enough into the vent to do it

As long as you're in the front arc, its extremely easy to kill factories with the autocannon, just aim for the top part if the vent that goes up and it'll deflect downward into the vent and destroy it, I snipe them all the time from way beyond throwing distance

Piell fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Feb 28, 2024

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Darth Walrus posted:

One thing worth noting about the standard Eagle airstrike is that it can close Terminid nest entrances just like it can destroy automaton factories. A good pick if you want to approach a nest a little more safely.

Makes me wonder if the 380mm orbital strike will be useful for deleting enemy strongholds at higher difficulties.

The 380 specializes in killing your teammates and missing every single enemy spawner

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

apostateCourier posted:

People cheating in a community focused PvE game with global goals is going to negatively impact the whole playerbase, so I can't agree that having anticheat in this PvE game is stupid.

The devs are manually modifying the global goals anyway

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Quickplay will also throw you into ongoing games (not sure it the SOS beacon is required or if it just helps), unless I'm playing a game with friends I just set it to my desired difficulty and go, since I also have a lot of trouble with the locations on the map not actually letting me join them.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
I honestly feel like difficulty 7 is easier than 5 or 6 right now because people playing on 7 are generally people who've been playing for a while who are farming super samples and aren't total idiots, whereas if you play on 5 or 6 you will get people who try to fight every patrol and ignore the eye of sauron and stalker holes

Piell fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Mar 3, 2024

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Infinitum posted:

Picked this up and am pretty hype. Trying to convince some IRL friends to join me, as this'll be right up their alley

If my mates join later what happens wrt me having more hours than them, and them being 'underpowered' on progression?

The starting primary weapon is like the third best primary weapon and I still use the Eagle Airstrike at level 36. Once they get to like level 5 or so (which you can get to in a couple hours) and can get the grenade launcher they'll be totally fine for midgame stuff.

Piell fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Mar 3, 2024

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Riatsala posted:

I'm level 11 and haven't gotten a good AT support weapon yet. Should I get an autocannon or recoilless rifle first?

Autocannon is IMO the best support weapon in the game, even better than the railgun. RR is really only great on bot defense/scientist rescue where you're constantly getting dropships to shoot down, IMHO its not worth it otherwise

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Re: armor, the patch notes on Steam say

quote:

Fixed armor rating values not reducing damage as intended.

which implies to me that armor was being treated as zero and even light armor should offer more protection than we were previously getting?

Piell fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Mar 6, 2024

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
The autocannon is my favorite weapon and if they want to get everything to that level that sounds great

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

turn off the TV posted:

the laser canon kills chargers now faster than you could with the railgun before

Where are you aiming with the laser cannon?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

piano chimp posted:

What are people using for armour? I just used my free SC on the Engineering Kit light armour which now feels a bit too squishy.

FS-38 Eradicator, the 544 speed armor that gives recoil reduction while crouched/prone and 50% explosive resistance

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
7 is manageable but 8/9 are just stupid for bugs. Hulks and Tanks are much more manageable than Chargers and Bile Titans

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

So after seeing so many posts complaining about meteors I quickplayed into a few 9's on a meteor planet and was expecting bullshit instant death like people in the thread were saying.

• There is a GIANT message in the middle of your screen that it's starting.
  • There is a GIGANTIC spotlight that shrinks on where the meteor will land.
  • You can easily walk out of it before it can land if it's aimed at you.

Please show me a video of this giant spotlight that you can easily avoid. I think this might be a thing that is affected by your video settings because there is not a clear easily avoided indicator for me that I've noticed, it just gets brighter like half a second before it hits you and you can maybe avoid if you dive instantly without hesitation

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I feel like I'm only one in thinking the idea of wanting builds and loadouts to be able to stand tall and hold off a bunch of chargers and titans to go against what the game is about. It's an endless war fighting over planets. Sometimes we'll be winning but I think sometimes we need to be losing and getting our asses kicked. We should sometimes run into these situations and go welp I'm going to die on this planet let's make it count for something. Mission objectives not being tied to our successful exfil already plays into this and I think the devs are good to lean into this.

That said, the big issues from this is that current game's progression (samples) relies on you actually making it out alive with said samples. I think them embracing death but also giving us secondary alternatives to collecting resources and maybe gaining reinforcements in mission would go a long way in making the impossible enemy force and harder difficulty gameplay loop better. It's no longer an all or nothing gotta complete everything AND make it out alive to get the super samples. It would also put less stress on the necessity of needing a meta loadout to keep up with the enemy because again the singular goal of making it out alive is no longer the only way to progress.

Dailies should give super samples instead of medals IMO, at least some of them

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

You can see two at the top of the screen at the timestamp that take about 10 seconds before they land.

The volcano eruptions I couldn't see any warning signs in that video.

Those either literally don't show up on my settings or are functionally invisible in bright areas. You'll notice you can only see those in dark areas in that video

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Like my #1 cause of death vs bugs is a hunter leaping in front of my autocannon or impact grenade to either kill me directly or ragdoll me to get hit again and killed

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Just had the only instances of toxic players I've seen in this game, one guy asked if I was black as soon as I joined and then the next group I was in had someone kill everyone else for samples just before exiting

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

flashman posted:

Wheres all the green samples at da hell

If you do a low level defense you can grab 7 in like 5 minutes and they're easy to do solo

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

WarpedLichen posted:

What do people bring on the missions where you can only bring 3 stratagems?

Just did an 8 with bots with increased call down time and one less stratagem and it was awful. I brought shield, orbital laser, and airstrike and just tried to stealth all the objectives. The eliminate enemies was the worst and we got the last 3 kills right as our last reinforcement was dropping in. Still cleared all the objectives so that counts as a win, but it didn't feel comfortable at all.

I could probably forgo a shield but it seems like I have no way to survive without it.

Autocannon, Eagle Airstrike, Orbital Laser are my picks, but usually I just go to a different planet because only 3 strategems sucks

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

johnny park posted:

Anyone have any tips for dealing with detector towers? Assaulting them is always a really grueling and reinforcement-costly process. Can you snipe the eye with an RR or anything?

An Orbital Laser will take it out like 2/3 of the time if you haven't activated the base yet

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Triarii posted:

There's also a pretty wide variance in what people consider "fun" about this game, I've found. I was playing with a friend + 2 pubbies, and my friend thought it would be funny to kill one of them with a grenade as we were extracting. The pubby did not think this was funny at all, and spent a minute getting big mad in chat before quitting out.

Just checking, did they call you a dipshit?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Play posted:

I'm a slugger convert. Definitely my gun of choice with both factions, its ability to penetrate the more basic armored enemies is so crucial.

Yeah I've been running the Slugger after the Breaker nerfs and I really like it

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

apostateCourier posted:

I break those lightposts on sight. 99% of the time they exist to destroy my ability to see.

Yeah if they're near a terminal it makes it basically impossible to read the commands

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Heavy units have definitely been increased recently

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Arc Hammer posted:

Do I Dre next to each planet there's a kist of stats for things like Helldivers killed or bullets fired. All the ones I've seen say "Unavailable" next to the stat boxes, though. Do the stats only get tallied after a planet is fully liberated or is it just bugged for me.

That feature was turned off when the servers were melting and hasn't been reactivated

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

buglord posted:

Do you need 4 players for this? can you use 2 and have bots/random people fill in like DRG?

im not sure where this is on the casual-<--|--> get booted for non-meta build spectrum.

You can reliably do level 7 missions with randos, which is the minimum level for the highest tier of resources you need. I've heard of being kicked for non meta but never experience it, and you can always host missions yourself if you don't want to worry about it, slots fill pretty much immediately if it isn't bugged

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

buglord posted:

another q:

how hard is it without mic? is there text chat? DRG set a pretty high standard for pubbie play in my experience. somehow everything was pretty frictionless, goals were directly displayed, and you could accomplish a lot by pointing and spamming we're rich!

95%+ of random players don't use a mic (unless its some dipshit with their mic always on chomping on chips into the mic), text chat is also rare, everyone uses the in-game map pinging which does the job just fine. Its also easy to mute the people with always on mics

Piell fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Mar 11, 2024

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Just saw this and yeah I'm liking this

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Night10194 posted:

I dunno if the Spear's lockon has been fixed, but a buddy of mine loves the thing and always seems to be able to quickly lock and erase Chargers with it.

I'll have to give it another try, if the lock-on worked reliably I'd use the Spear a lot more but it was so hit or miss I couldn't justify using it

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Dandywalken posted:

Hyped to see how Thermite grenade works. Hopefully it burns through heavy armor.

EMS grenade + flamethrower will rule too

Illuminate heavy unit from leaks looks to be a bigass HL2-esque strider lol

2 Thermite grenades will take out a hulk at least
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7344515873643810094

jokes posted:

If I could bring Eagle Airstrike multiple times so I can have like 6 airstrikes per rearm I would do it. Two Eagle Airstrikes, grenade launcher, and jump pack.

Eagle Airstrike is the best strategem in the game and it isn't close

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

cyfad posted:

Helldiver inputs make me miss Soulcalibur

but how many half presses do i need

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

LazyMaybe posted:

fast? it'd be a stretch to call orbital laser's cooldown average, and it'd requires ignoring eagles

Autocannon, Eagle Airstrike, Orbital Laser, 110s, perfect loadout