Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Benagain posted:

If you say "danger close!" over the coms as you huck the orbital strike you're legally not liable for whatever happens next

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Played with a level 25 pubbie who handled all secondary objectives and sample collections. I tried to help them out when I could, they noticed and threw me a Guard Dog.

Also props to the two level 10 pubbies who completed all the primary objectives with little fanfare. I would bounce over and help them if I noticed they were dying a lot or pinging stuff.

The high level dude gave me a handshake right before we evac’d and it felt loving awesome.

Is there any reason to do the illegal Broadcast tower “correctly” or should I just blow it up every single time?

Now that I’ve learned to set the MG43 to 960 rounds per minute I want to bring it all the time. Crouching with it in Engineer armor - you can kill everything.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

hbag posted:

oh i just unlocked the gatling sentry because the machine gun sentry's been real useful defending the extraction point. will it just mow down my own guys if i put one at the extract

Yes, put it somewhere where the firing arc won’t overlap with you or your buddies or it will happily chew you up.

Not super early game but the Guard Dog Rover is insanely good for bug missions when you get it. It starts to fall off when your problems shift from “I’m being swarmed by 100 hunters” to “I’m being swarmed by 100 chargers” but it’s probably always worth at least one person bringing one.

Not good against bots they live too far away.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

Had a teammate who kept trying to drop the 180mm Orbital on poo poo and it did sweet gently caress all except team kill us and keep firing well after we had shot all the bugs ourselves and tried to go actually clear the objective. What a useless stratagem.

I like the regular Eagle air strike but I really like the 110mm rockets to tell something in particular to gently caress off. The 500kg bomb is also awesome.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

Tentatively excited to eventually save up enough cash for the RR. An EAT minus the E sounds pretty fun, especially for more reliably killing Chargers and Hulks.

I need to get somebody to reload my RR for me because using it by yourself with the backpack is a miserable experience. It also has a ton of sway, even while crouched, even with the recoil armor, so if anyone is bothering you at all then you whiff your shot.

I tried it and went back to EATs but I’m not at the big boy difficulties yet.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

In HD1 I think I was killed by a friendly mech stomping me to death every single time a pubbie drove it. At least you have a lot more room to maneuver in this one.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

I don’t like mortars on bug missions for that reason. I like them on bot missions.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

KingKapalone posted:

I need explanation on mission selection stuff. What does quick play do?

I've been choosing a front, going to a hostile planet, and then I see operations with multiple missions or other missions that people are already in. I get an error every time I try to join one of those that already have people in them. That has left us with choosing an operation.

Is there a way to always fill them? Only seems like a quarter of a time that anyone else joins us.

Matchmaking is a little glitchy.

I either choose an operation or use quick play otherwise I get an error joining stuff on the map.

Sometimes people don’t seem to be able to join your lobbies/games. Changing host or restarting sometimes helps. Throwing the SOS beacon sometimes helps, sometimes doesn’t.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

Risky Bisquick posted:

Pro tip, going prone puts out the fire.

You’ll simply know how to effectively kill things sooner, and have that precious level 20 gear.

Honestly though eagle airstrike, EAT/nade launcher/gatling turret/laser dog/breaker are pretty quick to get from the get-go

Stop drop and roll works!

As a high level player you are incentivized to run low level stuff for Common Samples anyway so bring your buddies to all that.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

Chocobo posted:

I know people hate on 120/380 arty strikes, but have you ever called in 3-4 of them at the same time in the same place? Nothing survives, hives closed, objectives complete.

Or you could use 1-2 Eagle air strikes and have 10 of them leftover? And not kill your buddy Master Sergeant who decided to grab a common sample 100m away from the blast?

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

Cracking the lobster claw on the chargers is so satisfying and then shooting the orange meat.

I want the next faction’s Super Heavy to be a huge meaty horror thing. Either a giant fleshy dinosaur or a Star Fox Andross face - something where you’re just shredding huge chunks of it off to expose weak points. Make me take an HMG and dump a whole mag into some big wet target and let the physics engine fry my computer.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

The Sickle was so much loving fun in HD1, just deleted everything. You needed a sniper type dude against the Protoss but man was it good against bugs and bots.

I would like to call in a 500kg on the Reddit and Discord, danger close.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

walked backwards into a hole and lost an entire missions worth of samples minutes before extract

it's me, i'm the pubbie

It’s a perfectly legal thrill to drop samples into the holes and oceans. Don’t let those dicks at Space Command tell you otherwise.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

Joined a pubbie mission on difficulty 7 and we overextended into double stalker nest and everybody got wiped out, then they call me back in.

No reinforcements left and the full bug breach horde and a Charger is on my rear end. I railcannon the charger and start booking it. We’ve completed all the objectives and can evac but obviously we’ve just dropped every single sample in the middle of Buglandia. One guy says in chat “get my samples!” We only have 5 minutes left on the mission timer and we have 0 reinforcements gently caress the samples.

I run the gently caress away. I kite everything, shoot the fast stuff, and break contact. I stealth past every patrol and base on my way to evac on the exact opposite end of the map. I call in a buddy.

We get to evac, call in another buddy after 2 minutes and the shuttle is on its way. We get the 4th guy back and now all four of us are holding the extraction point, killing tons and tons of poo poo.

Pelican takes off and I say “sorry for not getting the supers.”

The level 45 pubbie says “you deserve a medal and a promotion, you saved us”.

Gave him a hug. Felt good to hear it. The pubbie community has been mostly really positive in my experience but I’m not pushing level 9 Helldives or anything.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

Mode 7 posted:

:siren: :siren: :siren: HELLDIVERS 2 THREAD GANG TAGS :siren: :siren: :siren:

If you want this gangtag:

Notes/Rules:

1) Quote this post within the next 24 hours or so, cutoff time will be 14/03/24 9am UTC (you can of course buy the gang tag for yourself at any point, this is just for the freebies)

2) If you already have the max amount of gang tags (3) please tell me which one to remove to make room in your quote post.

3) Desire for this gang tag was way higher than I expected. If your only post in this thread is asking for the gang tag I am probably not going to queue one for free, apologies. I queue these up but admins still have to sign off on em and we're apparently discouraged from handing them out like candy :v:

For liberty! Gang me please.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

Lumpy posted:

Collecting medals for the Slugger now. I like the DMR, and I love the idea of sort of hanging back from the group a bit and taking things out for them at range while they do objectively stuff, but the bugs do not seem to take kindly to this and I wind up mobbed and dead (largely because I am bad at games) You are spot on with the machine pistol. Love it.

I've also become a huge Arc Thrower fan as of late. Once you get the hang of aiming it, it's pretty powerful, it never runs out of ammo, and can net some unique and interesting team kills.

I was using the Slugger and getting mobbed by bugs too, you just can’t shoot the Hunters/Scavs fast enough. Switching to the machine pistol helps a lot.

What I ultimately ended up doing was running Slugger -> Guard Dog -> EAT. This let me clean up Brood Commanders and Hive Guards by punching through armor, stagger all Bile Spewers, laser all the trash, and then 1 shot all the Chargers.

Felt really really awesome against the bugs.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

The worst was in Helldivers 1 when Snow Boots were behind a paywall. If you were the poor bastard without them on a snow map you basically Reinforced -> Fell Behind -> Died.

I paid the $2 to stop griefing my team with my slow rear end.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

I don’t understand the point of the RR, it’s almost always faster to call in an EAT and shoot two tubes. Then you keep your backpack slot, you’re mobile the whole time, and you have two more tubes in 60 seconds.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

Dandywalken posted:

Did... they nerf hellpod damage? Couldnt get a single one-shot on bile titans with them today.

9 times out of 10 I pass harmlessly through the bile titan and then they squish me instantly.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

My favorite open mic moment was a bro who was talking to his bro in the room over.
“Dude this game is sick.”
“What you doin later”
“Oh poo poo look at this”
“Yeah I’ll hit you guys up later”
“Yeah I kept seeing clips of this game on my TikTok had to get it looked so fuckin sick”

His open mic convo got another pubbie bro to chime in
“Yo bro this was on my TikTok too I kept seeing it looked hella fun so I bought it”
“Hell yeah bro”

Just two Cadet bros broing out about TikTok and killing bugs. Then Bro #2 couldn’t figure out how to work the map and we never made it into the next mission and our lovable group of open mic idiots disbanded.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

Just pretend like you’re Scottish commandos and the bots are perfidious Albion.

Why else would you be fighting in a bog over sheep pastures?

Need some plaid armor options.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

Sokani posted:

I thought I was buying the shield backpack.

It was the secondary riot shield :suicide:

Same, I even deployed to a mission with it and didn’t realize my mistake until the drop pod opened.

What is this garbage? Where’s my big shiny yellow ball?

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

I’ve never tried the explosion resist armor, but I am having a hard time taking off the Defender of Democracy armor for the same reason. That 50% life save seems to kick in very often and I survive big horrible explosions AND charger attacks AND bug spit.

As for running away - ideally you’re using stratagems on cooldown so if you have em up - fight, if you don’t, run away. Primary+secondary weapons don’t really let you take big fights from difficulty 6 and up. Have to have stratagem support.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

I haven’t been able to get into a public game all week. Need to join a friends game because joining from map or Quickplay always fails or spins.

I guess it’s time to play with Goons.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

Dropped within 75m of shrieker nest and they promptly flew over and killed two of us instantly (before my backpack even landed). One guy got into his mech and the other guy then also died. Mech was able to take out the nest and shriekers and then the pilot called us back in.

Then the breach/heavies started showing up and I got a call from work so I dipped out. What a fun start to a mission.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

Played with 3 pubbies who all brought EATs and it ruled.

I wanted to bring them too but I was a team player and brought MG for trash clear. Did pick up several of the approx. 500 rocket launchers littered across the map though.

Every single charger and bile titan got deleted so fast.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

Retro42 posted:

I'm really trying to like the slugger as much as people are telling me it's great but something about it just isn't working for me. I think it might be the increased smaller bug spawns. Dealing with the chaff mobs is not a one man job anymore and having a slugger to pick off my share PLUS handling bigger things just feels less than ideal.

If you’re using the Slugger against bugs you have to be pretty careful with chaff because you definitely can get overwhelmed.

1. Bring the guard dog, let it kill all chaff. (My favorite solution)
2. Stick with a buddy who has an MG or Flamethrower or breaker to deal with chaff
3. Bring the shield so the chaff doesn’t slow you and kill you instantly, then run the gently caress away
4. Frequently switch to the Uzi and use it to kill Hunters/Scavs.

Running Slugger+EAT+Guard Dog turns you into a one man army and you can deal with any threat the bugs have. Obviously bringing a stratagem for bile titans and one for hordes is a good idea, but those are up to you. Big nests can be a pain if you run out of grenades and have to rely on EATs.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

Flint_Paper posted:

I assume there's still a load to process! They seemed somewhat popular when I asked for mine, so that's what I'm clinging to.

Cape-wise, back in Helldivers everyone would turn in tight circles to spin round, and by the name of sweet Liberty I would love a cape twirl emote that calls back to that

Remember the achievement for cape twirling? Just 4 badass Helldivers twirling, ever twirling.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

BadLlama posted:

Think im sold on the 50% chance to not die armor, especially with teammates. Counted 4 times I should have died but didnt.

Same, I tried the baseball pitcher armor and it was awesome but I love not dying.

Charger trucks you? Live on 1%.
Shrieker touches you? 1% health all limbs broken
Teammate drops an Orbital Airburst on you? That’s right, 1%.

Pop a stim and get back in there.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

Just did a difficulty 7 on Mantes against Bots. The pubbies spent 10 minutes and 10 reinforcements assaulting a mortar base AFTER I completed the main objective single handedly. Then two of them either dropped or quit.

I grabbed the super samples and booked it. They were trying to take every single fight and meanwhile I just ran across the entire map through the jungle twice, once carrying the SSD and once to evac.

I wasn’t even wearing stealth armor I was just runnin.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

I like taking fights too, I blew up a bunch of stuff with the auto cannon.

The problem with the SSD missions are I always forget to bring an SMG and I hate dropping the drat thing to fight because I can never find it and I’m worried it’s going to roll off a cliff or down a hole or something. So I was beelining the objective hard.

The 1 remaining pubbie had both the 180 and the 380 orbital strikes and he had a blast defending evac. I had EMS Mortar which is insanely overpowered against bots.

That was the first time I used Slugger on bots too and now I love it. I may never be able to use a different weapon, it’s just too much fun firing big ole honking slugs at everything.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

Zarin posted:

My phone has been literally SHOVING articles about this game at me and I finally capitulated and joined up.

Y'know, for Democracy.

Played a couple missions (still haven't found the Manager of Democracy yet, but I'm sure I will soon enough) and I'm not sure what Warbond I should start unlocking, or what Strategem to go for or whatever.

Any tips on what I should consider moving for first would certainly be appreciated!

You can stick with the free Warbond for now, Helldivers Mobilize. If you want to spend real money you can unlock the other two, otherwise you will gradually earn SuperCredits to unlock them.

A lot of what you choose to use and unlock is up to you and based on your preferences. The default Liberator, Grenades, Machine Gun, and Orbital Precision Strike are all extremely decent options and there are reasons to use any of them at level 50.

Things to unlock - EATs are always going to be useful against Heavy enemies and emplacements. I would try and get the Breaker early on if you like Shotguns. Eagle Airstrike is good, most of the Eagle stuff is good. The Redeemer side arm is strictly better than the starting pistol. I really like Impact Grenades. EMS Mortar and Gatling Sentry are nice early strats. The Autocannon is fun as hell.

Things to avoid: I think the regular Mortar, regular Machinegun Sentry, and both the Rocket and Autocannon sentries are not particularly good early. Autocannon can be good later but takes a lot of practice. Scythe laser rifle is bad. Orbital Gas/EMS/Smoke are all very situational. Napalm is difficult to use. Orbital bombardments are difficult to use compared to the Eagle. Machine gun guard dog is not very good. Ballistic shield is not very good. (Laser guard dog and personal shield are both extremely good but you get them late).

You will soon be drowning in requisition so don’t worry too much about strategems. Remember to spend your Samples also, Eagles are once again usually pretty good to unlock.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

I went and did a Trivial mission because I was 1 bug kill short on the Eagle Strafing Run daily, but it didn’t count anyway.

I’ve befriended a level 47 and a level 50 pubbies who spam invites to me every time they see me on. They play the game weirdly and in wild ways. They’re not particularly interested in samples, main objectives, or bonus objectives or points of interest. Maybe they’re totally maxed out on upgrades so that’s why they don’t care. Really all they care about is killing bugs. They beeline every bug they see and fight all of them.

We’re easily clearing level 7s with just the three of us, but the level of aggression is hilarious. They die a lot picking huge fights for no reason but they don’t care. That’s the whole point of why they’re playing, trying to make Kill Bug Number go up. Main objective and Extraction are just stuff to do along the way.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

Tommy the Newt posted:

Never seen any indication that this is the case and I've played an embarrassing amount of this game. You can use a console within view of a patrol and it will not alter its direction at all, you can also use the radar with a teammate to interact with one and check the local area for spawns, there's no relationship between using consoles and patrols spawns or pathing. There are also quite a lot of longwinded analyses on patrol spawns and behaviour floating around, I'll try to find a link after work.

Again, I believe that the feeling that the patrol zeroes in on you on the SEAF in particular is just because the SEAF spawns on flat ground and doesn't have the terrain features that'd force patrols to path around it.

I agree with this.

I’ve done entire SEAFs solo with patrols pathing around me the entire time. Never fired a shot. I’ve done it both ways - console first, shells 2nd, and stack 5 shells then hit the console - it doesn’t matter.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

Apple Craft posted:

I always gather shells and lay them at the chamber loading site before activating the artillery computer and it makes them pretty easy, but I will admit I am on lower difficulties. Does this not help in the higher difficulties? Also, drop and pick up the shells repeatedly to get them there much faster!

It does not matter. Hit the computer before or after.

Yes dropping them is much faster but so annoying.
“Dropping package picking up the pack dropping pack picking up the dropping”

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

This thread convinced me to use the Stalwart and I really did not like it.

Felt like if I saw a Hive Guard or Brood Commander then I was hosed.

It’s really good against small stuff, but so is the laser dog and I don’t have to aim or reload the laser dog. Running both seems like overkill.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

Owl Inspector posted:

the host orders me to take off my mortar sentry and I have cluster bomb equipped underneath it. everyone on the super destroyer groans at my poo poo

turning a big dial taht says "mm of Orbital barrage ordinance" on it and constantly looking back at the pubbies for approval like a contestant on the price is right

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

Video Nasty posted:

if I get exploded and drop all my samples and then dart back to where my corpse & equipment is, but the samples are missing -- is that likely because my team collected them while I was dead or did they just disappear?

They don’t disappear, your team probably snatched them.

Explosions can scatter the little sample vial though so it could travel. Minimap will show the beaker if so.

If they fall into deep water or down a bug hole (or recently three of us managed to get stuck in a bit of weird cliff geometry and had to be humanely executed by Hell Diver #4) then they can’t be retrieved but will be stuck on the map.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

jokes posted:

I'd probably say defender is an extremely solid choice against bugs-- better than liberator-- but against bots I'm always going liberator. A DMR is a terrible idea to me because of chainsaw guys, but most of my fights I'm poking my head out to gat rocket boiz from a distance

I'm wondering if the space elfs are going to emphasize a certain type of weapon. Like if they have shields, maybe auto weapons are better than single-shots or something.

I feel the opposite way, I think the defender has less recoil. So I prefer it against bots because you can more easily pop their heads. Both aren’t great against chainsaw boys.

Unfortunately the defender does have terrible sights so you can’t pick bots off past 50m or so.

Like some other folks have mentioned you can also blind fire the Defender and suppress the horde of bots chasing you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

AtomikKrab posted:

I want my laser turret to go with my laser dog laser cannon laser pistol laser rifle and laser beam.

Please give me reflective armor and a big mirrored shield so I can spread democracy through friendly fire.