Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

wow this game owns! I'm playing on ps5 and want to bind push to talk to a button, so I have to unbind something else. only problem is I can't unbind actions, so now whenever I push to talk my goon also stands there doing a stupid emote. anyone know how to unbind?

also, I set it so the aim mode isn't stored, but it seems to ignore the setting and always aims scoped if I aimed scoped before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

LazyMaybe posted:

how the gently caress have console gamers managed to still be using mics this loving terrible, after this many years

can you ggguys hhear me??? hellooo *washing machine noises in background*

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

the fact that they had like 3x more concurrent players than their most optimistic estimate and I was still able to play just fine the whole weekend actually speaks really well of their scaling, imo

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

I usually like to go for marksman rifle and stalwart. then add one eagle strike and one precision strike and then the last strategem depends on the mission, usually something that can take out armor

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

don't samples get shared by everyone in the squar?

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

yeah I hate playing shooters on ps5 but helldivers is great. really good experience overall. only problem is being unable to unbind keys, but they'll fix that later I suppose.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

how do you use recoilless rifle? i'm on ps5 but I can't hold triangle to switch to support weapon, it only switches to my handgun and back

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

ah ok will check that thanks!

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

HD2 key bindings often distinguish between a tap, press, long press, hold, and double tap of a button, all as different functions. check in your bindings that switching to your shoulder support weapon isn't set up as one of those. there's also an option in the menu for 'classic HD' weapon switching which is tap for switch to support, hold for switch to sidearm.

Also the RR comes with a backpack of shells that can be slowly reloaded on your own, or the backpack can be worn by a friend for team assisted reloads.

i figured it out lol, I picked up the backpack but not the actual weapon lol

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

PS5 ppl: what are your settings for gyro aiming? I currently just modified the sensitivity to 2.75 from the default values, and have it set so it's on when I'm aiming. not sure if I want to have it on for all aiming, or just when I'm using the scope.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

wow I unlocked the laser primary weapon and it's rear end

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

lol I wish this game had an option to appear offline to friends, strangely. sometimes I just wanna play low key while being quiet and not listening to people, but if friends see me online I gotta get on voice lol

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

i see, I thought if I appear offline on psn, the people who’ve added me in game as friends (as opposed to my psn friends) could still see me in the game. guess i was wrong

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

I wonder if it's a bad idea to take three eagles as your loadout (and maybe a grenade launcher). you'd have access to a lot firepower from them, but because of the way the rearms work, you'll always have a few minutes downtime where you can do pretty much nothing while they rearm.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

can you supply yourself with the supply pack? that's my question.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Mzbundifund posted:

You can, by default it’s 5 on the keyboard.

ah, cool. what's that on the PS5? probably not bound by default, right? you still can't unbind keys on the PS5, so probably doesn't matter

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

ah ok will try that. if I remember correctly holding down just gave me the radial menu where I had the option to drop the supply pack but I don't remember seeing the option to supply myself. i'll take another look

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

BitBasher posted:

Quickly tap down on the D pad, don't hold down on the D pad.

There is no team killing or collateral damage, there is only Failure to Yield Right of Way to Democracy.

Democracy always has the right of way, citizen!

oooh i see, thanks fellow citizen

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

I was fighting some bots on a snow planet just now and saw that at one point I could press x to make a snowball. threw it at a bot which then erased me with a missile. good times

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

yeah I unlocked railgun and personal shield and I see now how it sort of obsoletes many of the other support weapon combinations. i’m still on difficulty 6 so I just do whatever I feel like, but it would be good to buff other weapons vs armor

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

and maybe when they fix heavier armors you wonkt have to rely on the shield backpack as much

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

which weapons can kill bot dropships? only recoilless?

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

yeah, bugs are way easier on the lower difficulties, but then they become way harder. you can use cover and positioning to outsmart the bots, whereas with the bugs you just see three chargers pop out of the fog and gently caress you up

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

what do SAM sites do anyway? I thought they were just a do-nothing seconday objective

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I think the defense maps just need a little tweaking, the maps should be a bit bigger and more open so people can have fun taking shots at enemies before they reach their more fortified center position, quadruple the amount of enemies required to finish the mission and just send a FLOOD of low tier trash constantly from all sides with a few elites coming in from the edge of the map.

I played an extract the NPCs defense mission yesterday and to my surprise they made the radius of the map like three times bigger. not sure if that was just a random occurrence or if that came with an update. anyway, it made the mission much more fun because you could actually utilize your range and strategems and keep the situation under control

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

flashman posted:

The railgun is too strong

imo the other weapons that should be effective on armor are too weak, especially on difficulties 8 and 9

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

flashman posted:

I mean the other weapons are serviceable to complete the hardest difficulties, just outshined by the railgun. If everything is as strong as the railgun then there is little difficulty left in the game.

that’s a matter of personal preference I guess. i’m at the level where I can beat 8s with a railgun but without it’s just too hard and a slog

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

yeah fair enough. the devs definitely know what they’re doing so I trust they’ll know how to tweak the difficulty way better than me or whatever

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

it's also about how the game plays on the higher difficulties, not just how hard it is to do the missions. if the only way to do some of the higher missions is by constantly running away benny hill style, I think that might not be the best for the game

I love the way mass effect 2 handled difficulty by mostly increasing how smart the AI is, and it would be neat to see something like that here. so you go up a difficulty and the number of enemies stays the same, but suddenly they're setting ambushes and flanking you etc

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

woo, got my first 3 super samples yesterday! my friend and I got into a team with two very american dudes who were really chatty and played really well.

gotta try taking arc thrower in multiples for bug missions. having one was pretty good, let's see what four of them does. maybe just give everyone arc throwers + EATs + eagles, that sounds really fun

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

finally managed to get 10 super samples to unlock the final eagles upgrade. it seems like I have infinite eagles and can just spam them non stop, this rules.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

my teammates now that I've unlocked the final hangar upgrade:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FN8aa-xuHu8

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Let me drive around malevelon creek in a Tesla

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Seconding EATs, they're better than I initially thought and more importantly really fun. Instead of running shield + railgun on bug missions, I've been doing a lot of arc thrower + EAT.

and pubs, yeah, they're a mixed bag. I'm doing missions at 8 right now, and it still happens that everyone just fucks off doing their own thing without any communication. Like you don't have to use voice, just drop markers and I'll happily do your plan. if no one is dropping markers, then at least go to my markers.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

the trick with the strat scramblers is to always have stuff on cooldown since it can only scramble to a strategem thatks available.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Yeah EATs own. gonna keep doing arc thrower + laser drone + EAT for bugs and autocannon + eagles for bots.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

While 8 and 9 could be harder to clear maybe, the main issue IMO is what the experience looks like when you do clear them. 8 is fine for me, but on 9 (speaking to bug missions, bots are fine imo), it involves mostly just kiting and running away to survive. Not sure if that's the play pattern they're going for on the higher missions. But when you're waiting for the extraction and the game spawns five chargers and three bile titans, you don't really have enough in your arsenal to handle them, so you're just forced to run away constantly and hope to survive.

Not sure how they can fix that from a game design perspective. I understand that you'll have to do more moving and kiting on the higher difficulties, but there has to be some sort of middle ground. Maybe spawn more trash mobs that you can clear while the game director keeps heavily armored enemies capped at a certain number? idk

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

wow how do you end up like this in life I just can't fathom it

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Could be. My guess is that they don't actually want that, but that they're finding it very hard to design the game experience for higher difficulties without it devolving into a benny hill episode. Seems like a tough one to crack, hope they find a way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

I wonder if they could take some cues from Risk of Rain 2. that game has excellent difficulty progression imo and similar to helldivers in many ways. the main difference is that it's a roguelike so you keep getting stronger all the time