Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
I got the game on launch and wasn't able to play until this weekend. My literal first mission was an Impossible difficulty night map since I joined my friend's game. That was a ton of fun. I think I gained 4 levels upon completing it lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

A friend of mine named his ship Pledge of Allegiance.

Also the Breacher shotgun is awesome. Small bugs, one shot. Medium bugs 2-3 shots. Large bugs you can just mag dump into their weak points and they go down hard. I highly recommend it.

OGS-Remix fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Feb 13, 2024

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

I can't get used to the Grenade Launcher, are there any tips for using it?

My friends said it's really good against spewers and closing bug holes at a distance but it doesn't seem to be good for more than that. I've also definitely killed myself bouncing grenades off of armor and back into my face. Or a friend's face.

Edit: Also closing bug holes at a distance is really finicky, you have to get like the perfect bounce in so it's more difficult then it seems.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Jakabite posted:

So I’m playing on pc and accidentally bound my mouse movement to something else a couple times. No biggy, bound it back, all good. But now my map movement is unbound and binding it to mouse movement unbinds the looking mouse movement. So I can’t move the map or my cursor on the map up or left lol.

Maybe there's a setting.ini file or something you can delete and then verify files to download a fresh copy?

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Mulva posted:

Early on, like pre-level 10 stuff, the single greatest upgrade you can get is probably the rocket launcher. It only has a 30 second cooldown and it has 2 shots, and your biggest problem before you get really good gear is dealing with heavy targets. 2 shots with the rocket launcher can take out a Charger most of the time, and if it doesn't you are probably ready to call in another 2.

You can 2 shot Titans with the EAT if you hit them in the mouth while they're spitting/getting ready to spit. The EAT is a very powerful unlock and it should probably be the first thing new players buy.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Kwolok posted:

Also are boosters infinite use?

If you're talking about the hexagon buffs, yes they are. It's good to bring as many different once as you can since all helldivers benefit from them.

Edit: Finally got a chance to play today and the railgun is still good. I should have saved more money before hitting 20, I didn't realize all the high end upgrades were so expensive. You need at least 30k for Spear, Orbital Laser, and Railgun. 500kg bomb is up there too.

Second edit: No, they don't stack, you can only bring one of each type.

VVV

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Can you actually destroy tanks if you shoot the weak spot on the back of the turret with small arms? I always used explosives or railgun but if you can destroy it with small arms too, that's surprising.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

I was playing with some friends and one of them dropped a rocket sentry at the front of a bot base. While I was moving around, I kept getting knocked down and I had no idea why.

The rocket sentry has back blast when it fires, just like the recoilless rifle. The small details in this game are amazing.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

blastron posted:

I wish the railgun would remember unsafe mode, but I do love the tiny ludonarrative beat of a brainwashed berserker grabbing the most powerful weapon in their starship’s arsenal and gleefully disengaging the mechanisms that stop it from exploding in their face, all so that they can dispense the maximum amount of liberty.

Isn't there an option to remember weapon settings? Like saved settings per weapon? That should apply to railgun safe/unsafe if it works for Machine gun RPM and stuff.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

They really should give a laser designator to the spear backpack. That would be much more consistent then trying to lock on yourself and encourage team play.

In BF4 using the SOFLAM and just annihilating enemy vehicles from just out of their spawn was hilarious.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Will bot drops always be where the initiating bot fired their flare?

For bugs it's easy to drop an airstrike/orbital on top of the billowing orange smoke, but once that flare is gone, it doesn't seem like there's an easy indicator on where to put a stratagem to wipe out the ship. Or even pre-aim an EAT/Recoiless to try and shortcut the calldown.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

sebmojo posted:

what are the general best picks for strategms, before you get into the situationally useful ones? i'm like level 11 so still only have a few - so far i just know 380 mm is basically an extremely loud suicide note but i still love it.

Best general calldowns are: Eagle Airstrike, Eagle 500kg, Orbital Precision Strike, Orbital Railgun

Most versatile support weapons are: EAT, Autocannon, Quasar Cannon

Depending on the type of mission, mortars are extremely strong too. Once you get into higher difficulties (7-9) surviving extraction is actually very difficult without a mortar or a well placed sentry.

Basically just keep trying stuff out; there are almost no completely useless items, it's just that some have very niche use cases.

Edit: Oh yeah, supply backback is extremely underrated too. It's very powerful both solo and in teamplay.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

One of my friends swears the Scorcher is good against bots, but I don't see any advantage over the Punisher. The main benefit is being able to kill scout walkers from the front but they're like the least threatening robot. Why is the Scorcher good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Maybe my playstyle just doesn't fit with the Scorcher then. I almost never engage groups of bots at range, if I get aggro I find cover and look to flank. I've found bots will hone in on your last position so if you just move a bit, they'll all happily walk into range and the Punisher can one-shot or two-shot every bot with a headshot except Hulks. The scorcher took too many shots to take out and it has splash damage which hurts at close range.

Similarly I'm :psyduck: at scout walkers being dangerous. They'll absolutely just walk around a blind corner and you can walk around and tap the pilot once. Out of all the bots, I'm certain I've been killed by scout walkers the least. Well maybe the melee bots is the least.

I guess being able to kill hulks/tanks with explosive primary is a plus, but that's what a RR/Quasar/strategem is for.