Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Baby T. Love posted:

How is a Helldiver like a Panda?

It eats, shoots, and leaves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
The correct response to jetpack dudes is to dive to prone and/or shoot out their legs. Diving gives you the explosive damage reduction bonus of being prone, and gives you a bit of distance. Plus they only explode if you damage their jetpack.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
My take on the setting is that SEAF is the conventional military that fights large battles, mans the front lines, and takes and holds ground, etc. The job of Helldivers is to do high risk commando missions behind enemy lines. Helldivers are kept separate because it would be bad for morale and a waste of actual experience and talent to send SEAF troops on suicide missions.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
The Quasar feels like a replacement for the railgun in my standard bot loadout. They both have the downside of a charge time, but it brings the good damage without exploding in your hand and feels just as good for getting a headshot on a hulk. Plus it works on a lot more targets.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
For regular missions it can make sense to call down extra support weapons or backpacks to share with your teammates so they can bring more strategems; they'd only be a bit naked for the first 5 minutes or so.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
I brought a Quasar to a bug mission for the first time last night, and after trying to charge up a shot for a charger hot on my tail, I have to apologize to the EATs; they are not completely obsolete.

I think the mortar is best used offensively. Drop it outside a base you're trying to solo, drop a 500 inside, and shoot anything that manages to stagger out.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
They want to have crew served weapons in this game, but there are few situations in which two helldivers making one weapon faster in one place is better than them doing two separate things.

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

What's the most efficient way to earn medals? I want to finish up this set of weapons before the next warbond lands and rumour is it's on the 11th.

Get some friends together and do the highest difficulty you can without struggling. Ignore the optional stuff and just do the main objectives as fast as you can. Extraction is optional since a completion counts regardless. Try to do all 3 missions in a campaign for the medal bonus.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

sebmojo posted:

Is the jetpack worthwhile?

I love it on bug missions. Since most bug attacks are either melee or slow projectiles, it's great for survivability. It's too slow to recharge to give more than a minor boost to your movement, but the mobility is nice for minor obstacles. Just make sure there's not a water filled chasm on the other side of the rock you just jumped over.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

It's my fault for playing too much, but this hurts to see.

I wish there was a medal sink, even if it's just a dumb cosmetic or title.

Did you buy literally everything from all 3 warbonds?! I'm impressed.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

turn off the TV posted:

All of the machineguns seem pretty bad honestly. They feel like their use case is mostly situations that happen so rarely that an eagle cluster bomb will always be available and more efficient, or they're like the HMG and I don't know what they're for at all.

imo the game feels like it could use some sort of variation in enemy composition/spawn rates that are advertised to the players ahead of time so some operations could have something like significantly more frequent spawns and fewer heavies in order to give something like the stalwart a reason to exist

The regular machine gun kicks the rear end of every single bug except for chargers and titans. It's a solid pick if your team mates have those guys covered.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Martout posted:

Since we can find malfunctioning drop pods I think yes absolutely a few of them should randomly be jackpot ones

I did a trivial difficulty map a few days ago just to screw around with a gun I'd unlocked, and I found two of those malfunctioning drop pods. I shot both of them, and they both had a jump pack inside. So it's possible, but very rare.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
One thing I really like about this game is how flat the progression is. A lower level player can tag along in a Helldive and still be a valid participant; they'd be limited more by game knowledge and experience than by their gear.

I hate the MMO style grind gated content, where you have to tell a friend who just bought the game and wants to play with you "Sorry, you need to be level 90 and have gold tier +10 gear to enter this dungeon." So they either need to grind alone for hours to catch up, or you have to suffer through trivial content to get them up to speed.

If the latest round of ship upgrades gave you extra strategem slots or doubled player health I could understand getting mad about them, but it looks like they're just minor bonuses for the hardcore addicts to chase.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
If you fashionistas can't handle having the wrong perk on your armor then you don't deserve to look good.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Sindai posted:

Has anyone seen a factory strider recently? I haven't seen one since the Cyberstan invasion despite doing a lot of 7s and 8s.

My guess is that the bots saw they were a giant slow moving target for helldivers to just dump half a dozen strategems on at once from a safe distance and discontinued them.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Darox posted:

The robot party bug is weird, sometimes threatening, and sometimes very funny. I don't know why it happens and I'm pretty sure bugs don't have anything similar but if you run into the party near the end of a 40 minute mission when nobody has disturbed it prior you can get ridiculous killstreaks.

It happens in every match too, just an all round silly glitch.

All Automaton ai bugs are diegetic. Clearly their mysterious creators hosed up the navigation subroutines.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
I wonder if there's some sort of platform specific or host/client bug with the Spear. Because I have listened to the advice of Spear lovers and it still fails inexplicably. Just zero acknowledgements of any possible targets despite having a valid one in clear view at a range it has happily worked at before.

The devs have acknowledged that it's a bug they're working on, so at least we know it's not all user error. I want to like it, but at this point I will only bring it on bot blitzes to hopefully snipe a few fabricators at long range.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

incogneato posted:

Is there a good use for orbital gas strike? Every once in a while I get a huge batch of kills from it, then the next few uses I can't even tell if it's doing damage. I'm not playing on especially high difficulties, if that matters.

It sure evaporates me and my teammates quick enough if we step in the area too soon, though.

There's a known bug with damage over time effects. They only work for the network host. Once it's fixed it should theoretically be very good against bug breeches.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

I kinda like the crossbow. It kills striders and devs and also takes out the lil guys without a huge explosion

I’ll play with it some more but I don’t dislike it as much as I thought

After hearing how bad it was supposed to be, I was surprised that it seemed to work just fine. I think people were disappointed that it isn't a demolition or heavy killing tool. It only kills stuff you'd normally use a primary weapon on, and it has a pretty good aoe and rate of fire. It's an alternative to the Punisher Plasma.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
I'm not sure why people are getting salty at the major orders. They have a literal GM who is running a campaign. They don't expect us to succeed at every order. Successes and failures are going to just lead to small detours that merge back to the main storyline.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
If you think you'll ever like the game enough to buy the super citizen upgrade, you'll get steeled veterans with it, so don't spend your super credits on that one if you'd ever consider that. I'd recommend Cutting Edge for the Sickle, since it's very strong everywhere. The Eruptor is satisfying, but a bit more niche.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
They did a really good job with the holy trinity of EATS, RR, and Queso. They all fill the same role, but situation and personal preferences prevent any of them from being the clear winner.

I am biased towards the quasar because if there are no heavy enemies nearby I can blow up something stupid (scout strider, tiny bug, outhouse, etc) and not be at a disadvantage when a big boy shows up.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Slyphic posted:

Any jetpack mains have some sage advice on how to make it useful? I've been playing with it this week, and it's just not clicking with me. Can't seem to reliably make it over gorges, barely makes a difference in scaling heights, the only thing I'm really getting out of it is fall arrest and even then I'm flubbing that one some of the time.

I've found that if you want to climb, standing still then pressing the jump button gives you better vertical reach. However, its best use is to escape getting surrounded by bugs, or to give yourself enough distance from a charger to kill it with a quasar shot. It's more of a toy than a necessity, but against bugs I've found I really like it.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
From my experience, it seems like gunships spawn 2 to a tower, and have a pretty slow respawn rate. Ideally, you can spawncamp them with an appropriate support weapon while your friend calls down a hellbomb. If your initial drop is within range of them, that's when they're a nightmare, as they can murder you a lot quicker than you can call down and equip your support weapons. And as with all bots, if they have a bunch of friends with them, they're 1000% harder to deal with.

I think the best way to deal with a lovely drop is to resist calling down backpacks and support weapons, and instead just run for the nearest quiet spot. Dump orbitals or eagle strikes on stuff as you run, play leapfrog with your reinforcement pods, then regroup and take out the most isolated stuff first.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
The bugged explosions pulling players inward led to some funny moments. I am hoping they add a vacuum grenade or black hole gun at some point.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Fabricated posted:

On bot planets I have become something of a heavy armor convert. Being able to just eat a random rocket off and on saves a significant amount of reinforcements.

I also have no idea how you're supposed to complete a dedicated scientist rescue mission since every single one I've tried, you quite simply do not have enough firepower to keep the escape path clear enough for even one civvie per batch to make it.

Has anyone tried an all smoke strategy for this? Smoke grenades, eagle smoke, orbital smoke, and you just keep the path to safety looking like a 1950's daycare?

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Durzel posted:

Incendiary Breaker got an indirect buff with the ship upgrade that increases fire damage by 25%. Now that they’ve fixed host-only DoT damage it’s clearly better than the standard Breaker now.

That upgrade is only supposed to affect strategems.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Reiley posted:

My game still occasionally becomes slower than my teammates, as in when I walk on the ship my teammates outspeed me, and this sticks into missions until I quit and reload. This bug has a chance to happen anytime the ship moves to a new mission location, which is before every mission. Nothing seems to fix it. No other game does this.

Are you on pc and have a controller plugged in? I have had a few instances of one of the sticks being slightly off center, making the game think you want to walk very slowly.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

novaSphere posted:

I had a railcannon decide to jump from a bile titan to my own tesla tower yesterday. :negative:

The railcannon tech followed the protocols correctly, and took out the biggest threat to Helldivers in the target radius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
The best tactic for a high level bot extermination is to say "you all cool with some friendly fire?" (The correct response is "let's loving go!") And then everyone equips barrages and mortars.