Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

megane posted:

Deepest apologies to the goon I shot in the back of the head with the AMR. A glorious death in the service of democracy.

e: By the way, what does "rearming" an Eagle do?
Starts a (by default) 150 second cooldown on all your Eagle call-ins, and once it's done you get uses refilled. The Eagle will also do this automatically if you use up all your Eagle call-ins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

GruntyThrst posted:

I have 10 hours played and have collected a grand total of… 40 super credits. They need to increase the frequency on those a LOT.
I'm at 11.5h and have collected 290 (+300 from the warbond progression). Have you been looking inside the buried cargo containers that you have to blow open with an explosive? I've found the majority of my credits inside those and my rate drastically picked up once I realized you could open them.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
Head's up for those who like to go fast: the super credit store cycled a few hours ago and the 250 credit armour on offer right now is a 544 speed light armour (faster than the 525 speed armour you get early on). There's only one other armour in the game right now that is this speed and it's buried pretty deep, on page 7 of the warbond progression so it's a decent pickup if you want that early.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

JBP posted:

This is exactly my issue. Don't bother imo you won't get your medals or other loot. I was playing for a good time so it isn't that bad but the game ate so many materials that would have yielded fun stuff.
drat I must have gotten lucky then, because I just finished a successful solo run on difficulty 4, and I would have been pretty pissed if it didn't count seeing as it was the first time I've managed to actually get a successful run and extract (why do crushers have to complicate everything solo :mad:)

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Play posted:

A tip on those guys: the dive is the answer just like chargers. When they're getting ready to spew, just dive to the side and they'll miss every time.
Can't speak for the heavier armours, but with the light armours you can also sprint diagonally and they'll miss you.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
Imagine taking a 500kg bomb to the skull and still being able to stagger forwards a little:
https://i.imgur.com/Qft2KIH.mp4

Moose King posted:

There are caches scattered around, usually near a building. It looks like an orange or blue shipping container, buried so you can only see the small end. You have to blow it open with a grenade or red explosive barrel, and it usually has money/super credits/weapons.
Specifically, look for these:

Most of my super creds I've picked up have been from these.

idiotsavant posted:

lol yeah when New World blew up (before AGS then blew up lol) didn't it hit over a million concurrent? Feels like there's been a little bit of a release lull and with Fatshark making GBS threads the bed so hard with Darktide there's definitely some pent-up demand for pve horde co-op. And other than the network stuff the game feels really, really good. 360k seems low to me, too
I think it's important to put into context that Helldivers 1 was a pretty small and niche game, as much as I love it. They probably didn't expect this one to blow up as big as it did.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Orv posted:

The recoilless seems like the charger answer. Unlike some of the other bugs if chargers lose a leg they die immediately and a recoilless to the leg does the job. Otherwise it’s four auto cannon rounds to the rear end and while that’s pretty ammo efficient the time they take to bleed out is occasionally a problem.

E: Or take the limiter off the railgun and do them in a couple shots but don’t gently caress up or blammo
Yeah so far the best way to deal with them as far as my loving around in solo goes, a recoilless/EAT shot to one of the front legs, then either a quick follow-up shot (if you're team-loading the recoilless, for example) or just shoot it down with your rifle. Works with the railgun if you charge it up all the to "almost kill yourself" as well.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
Unlocked the AP Liberator and tried to make it work: it fares better against bots compared to the bugs, but the damage reduction is too much to make it worth using unfortunately, especially when combined with the other things you lose compared to the normal Liberator (2/3rd magazine size and no full auto so you have to work around the burst limiter). I get they didn't want to have a Helldivers 1 situation where the Justice (AP Liberator equivalent) pretty much superseded the Liberator on like, every difficulty past 3 or 4 but they probably went too hard in the other direction.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

1stGear posted:

It's also extremely loving lol that special forces teams are being deployed on an incredibly dangerous missions to survey valuable ore veins.
One of the Bug objectives literally has you going around turning the oil taps back on :lol:

Perestroika posted:

Intellectually I know that stuff like the autocannon, RR, AT, or laser cannon are probably better in the support slot, but there really is a certain je ne sais quoi to picking up a machine gun and just letting it loving rip :black101:
Honestly I don't even think it's that bad of a pick as long as others have the AT covered; there's an innate benefit to just being able carve out a safe area with an MG belt on full blast to give your heavier weapons space to do their work. While the AC (as a very good "generalist" weapon) can overlap in this role, it is more cumbersome to swing around, has a higher potential risk of friendly fire, and unless the user has a teammate loading* for them, is not able to put down the sheer weight of fire in a small amount of time that the MG can do. People have moved past it quickly because it's the "starter" heavy weapon but there's definitely a good use case for it compared to the other heavies imo.

*Team loading the autocannon literally lets you shoot all your ammo without letting go of the trigger it's hilarious

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

DarkDobe posted:

The 110 Missiles strike is... okay? It can be useful as a precision anti-tank strike, but it tends to only be semi-reliable. I think this one needs the most work out of them.
Yeah I was pretty disappointed with the rocket run. Right now the best use of it is that it insta-kills bot tanks, but it's pretty mid outside of that. I think if they upped the targeting range on it (so you could just throw it really sloppily under pressure and still get it on target), and gave it an extra use, it'd be a lot better. Also it likes to miss I've noticed, so maybe fix that too.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Eason the Fifth posted:

The transition from overhead to third person works incredibly well at amplifying the sense of mayhem from helldivers 1, and the general feeling from the first game carries over into 2 almost beat for beat. The level of detail put into the gameplay has been a treat to see. It has an addictive "just one more mission" feeling to it, the kind that makes you go to bed a lot later than you meant to. I'm waiting for a roadmap, but it sounds like the game will have a long tail with a lot of support and new unlockables, planets, and enemies.

Honestly one of the best games I've played in a long time (matchmaking issues aside).
I'm genuinely surprised at how well they've managed to translate the first game's general "quirkiness", for lack of a better word, into third-person with stuff like the aiming and general feel of the game. One of my worries was that the game was going to lose some of the charm the first game had with the shift in perspective but the devs did a bang up job of making it feel just like Helldivers 1 in all the right ways.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

CuddleCryptid posted:

The "picking one of 10,000 Helldivers out of cryo" load in screen implies every ship has a ton of divers on it but functionally it's funny how every single diver seems to get their own ship. When one goes in and immediately gets mulched by friendly fire does the captain just throw his hat down and turn around to go home?
They unfreeze the next dope super patriot, give them command, and immediately send them down into the fray in a reinforcement pod (where upon they are martyred shortly after and the cycle continues)

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

darkroot posted:

In my experience, the autocannon is pretty good solo, but it’s absolutely amazing when you have a loader with you. You literally don’t have to ever stop firing until ammo runs out.

Also putting it on full auto is too much fun and should be illegal.
Yeah, autocannon self-loads are quick enough you can get away with it, but being able to literally hold down the trigger until 100% of your ammo is gone with zero downtime when team-loading is insane.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Typical Pubbie posted:

Oh it's awesome, but unless you have two ammo packs, having a loader means you're separating the gun from its ammo supply, while reducing the number of people who are firing their own weapons by 1 when you team load. It's rarely worth it and can really screw you over.
Honestly for the AC I'd have the gunner carry the pack for general use, then drop it for the loader when it becomes necessary to team-load (I'm assuming you're already coordinated enough by virtue of doing team-loading that the extra half-second to drop the pack to the ground isn't a big deal).

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Orv posted:

How do you propose to strike fear into murder bugs and killbots
They fear our freedom and democracy, which is why they attack

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
Unlocked the Spear today and it's a lot of fun and puts in work when it decides to cooperate, but I question its overall usefulness because sometimes it decides to just not kill targets, which is a problem when you get a total of 3+1 shots, and the only way to get more is to get 1 missile per resupply pack (the field boxes didn't seem to give ammo to the pack), which means if you're empty and want to fill up it takes an entire resupply by yourself. If you really want to use it I'd bring friends you're coordinating with, and either have them bring ammo packs or grab extra Spear packs from when you inevitably run dry and just straight up call in a new Spear for a refill. That way they can at least get a missile every time they resupply to help feed you.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Away all Goats posted:

Is there a way to go prone without diving?
Z on KBM, not sure on controller.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
Very rude of the game to give me my hardest challenge yet:

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Vagabong posted:

I swear the 120mm barrage targets teammates. The amount of times I've dropped it right on an outpost and ran away only for the artillery to seemingly follow me, racking up multiple team kills without a single bug hit, is too often for coincidence.
I made the mistake of sending myself and a friend to an operation where the random modifier was "orbital stratagem scatter increased" and the amount of times he'd call in a 120mm strike, the first 8 shots would fail to kill anything, and the final 9th would suddenly land on my head with perfect accuracy from 100m+ away was hilarious.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Owl Inspector posted:

Is there anything like the dumdum from hd1, that was my favorite call in weapon
That's literally the autocannon

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:patriot:
https://i.imgur.com/KZa9rzu.mp4

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

toasterwarrior posted:

Autocannon is BiS for a lot of poo poo but has anyone tried the Penetrator AR + Stalwart LMG combo? I just want a change of pace, though I'd understand if we're still too early and deep in the launch month balance swamp.
I was actually considering trying this exact combo earlier today. I think it'll work fine against bugs (as long as you have someone else on AT duty), focusing on clearing space against smaller enemies, but against the bots you're going to run into much more med armour enemies and the penetrator AR is going to struggle against those larger groups, as well as you won't have anything to deal with walkers from the front with zero effort.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Hihohe posted:

I really think its just people fighting bugs for so long theyre not ready when the enemies shoot back.
I'd say that bugs have higher highs and lower lows, while the bots have a (much) higher baseline of intensity throughout but the wheels generally don't fall off as quickly as they do versus the bugs.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

victrix posted:

Here, I'll help answer all pubby match behavioral questions for the rest of time:

The correct reaction to a teamkill is laughing. If a pubby gets angry instead of laughing, they are a communist and should be reported to a freedom camp for reeducation.

Anyone taking this game seriously and worrying about their bug k/d is a gigantic wet blanket and should be stuffed in a locker with other similar players so they can be miserable together.

Also this holds true all the way up through helldive difficulty, there is no magical point of serious business crossed at any point, it's nonsense, ragdolls, and dropped gatling barrage beacons from start to finish.

Basically join the goon server and play with goons, or host your own public matches so you're never at risk of being kicked by some idiot.
Honestly the game wouldn't be nearly half as fun if there wasn't a constant chance of just getting obliterated by an errant strike
https://i.imgur.com/KPu5Si6.mp4

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Typical Pubbie posted:

As long as your team has other, more reliable anti-tank weapons, you could get away with that. The problem with the sentry is that good turret placement is surprisingly tricky, but a well placed turret will run out of ammo quickly (because it's killing things). Turrets are better against bugs imo.
I grabbed the autocannon sentry thinking I could use it to deal with chargers (assuming I set it up ahead of time) but, at least without the sentry upgrades, it's very slow to turn and shoot, and has like zero ammo so sometimes it'll waste all its shots on small fry. I started bringing the gatling sentry instead and it puts in work because a decently placed one will kill like 2 dozen bugs before zeroing out on ammo and that lets you focus more on dealing with any priority targets.

Owl Inspector posted:

drat stalkers are insanely coked up compared to the first game where they would do nothing and drop to a stiff breeze. Do they only ever spawn from stalker lairs? Like if you see one then is tracing it back to its lair when it runs away a viable way to stop them from spawning for that mission?
As far as I can tell, stalkers will only spawn from stalker lairs and will only range around said lair, so if you encounter one there's usually a nest within like, 200m or so. Taking out the nest will stop any more stalkers from spawning, unless there's a second nest somewhere (which can happen).

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE posted:

Wait, do stalker lairs look different from other bug holes?
They look the same but there's always only ever 1 or 2 holes and it's always a secondary objective.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

DarkDobe posted:

To be fair, the armor being tied to stats is one of the 2 Cardinal Game Design Sins that Helldivers 2 has committed.
The other is the unskippable post-game stats.
I'm glad the armour I like aesthetically also has the stats I want

Hope they let us swap armour stats and perks around in the future

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Fate Accomplice posted:

I'm amusedly surprised they set their expectations so low.

the opposite is commonplace, but you rarely see "we didn't know our poo poo was this good"
The first game peaked at like, 6.7k players on Steam, and the devs have stated Steam and PSN numbers were roughly equal, so about 15k total peak. Helldivers 2 on Steam alone has peaked at like 280k, not even counting the Playstation numbers. If we assume the numbers are equal between platforms for arguments sake, there's literally no reasonable way to think the devs should have been ready to receive over half a million players, given the total numbers on their last game.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

JBP posted:

I wonder what the devs originally bargained for with this game. They must have been thinking like 100k on steam and whatever bigger number on ps5. It's crazy how well it's done lol.

(150k would have been about 10x the first game, for reference)

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Vasudus posted:

There's also a malus that I haven't seen until suicide mission (7) that doubled all stratagem deployment times. That also counts for the extraction shuttle, which was quite the surprise for our group. Hope you can hold out for four minutes!
My few two operations on difficulty 5 (the first difficulty with modifiers) had this and I learned about the 4m shuttle the hard way :shepicide:

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I've been getting stuck a lot while looting stuff from stashes. My person will just freeze and someone else will have to come and melee me. Which will send my helldiver flying/clipping through the bottom of the map and then through the bunker stash and landing on the other side
Yeah as far as I can tell this is a server thing because it's trying to grant you the rewards but because the servers are totally hosed right now it freezes you for like 30s, or until someone knocks you down, or it registers and gives you the reward, whatever comes first.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

The Grumbles posted:

The XP boost wasn't meant as a celebration free XP weekend - it is a band-aid on some other issue that meant rewards were being calculated incorrectly. That's why there's a joke in-game about it being an adjustment for an 'accounting error'. I don't think the XP boost is why server stability has gone straight to hell - its because the game has exploded in popularity over the past week, for reasons that have nothing to do with bonus XP. Nobody is going to buy a new game because they heard there was bonus XP to be had. It's just the weekend.
Yeah the XP and req bonus was supposed to be to make up for the first few days where the game would straight up eat your rewards sometimes (it only ever ate my XP and req, I was personally lucky enough to never lose medals or samples). "We're doing this to celebrate how awesome we are" is something completely made up lol.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

victrix posted:

lol their servers playing catchup gave me 60+ super samples when I logged in

thanks overloaded servers
Last night I tried to buy something with medals several times and it wasn't taking, so I restarted and it bought the thing but I ended up with more medals than before lol. No clue if it was catch-up or if it just gave me the item but I chuckled.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

ijyt posted:

was just chatting with a friend earlier that I only ever used to see stuff like this in milsim games like arma and post scriptum, didn't expect it in this game at all but it feels right at home
It was like that in the first Helldivers as well! Of course since that was isometric it was a lot less immediately visible (but still mattered a lot especially when using heavier weapons).,

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

JBP posted:

It's got three more shots on it, but once they run out you can't re-up from a supply pod.
It gets 1 shot per supply pod pack and 0 from world ammo drops.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
Random fun fact of dubious use: The 500kg bomb does direct impact damage and can actually blow up objectives with it
https://i.imgur.com/vW6fs8w.mp4

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Fishstick posted:

Works like other eagles except you only get one use of it before it has to rearm. Compared to the other strikes I feel it's a bit underwhelming in terms of effectiveness other than for niche cases you can also solve in other ways (ie: getting rid of bile titans). Despite the huge explosion the actual effective range seems tiny, similar to Hellbombs. Ive tried it a couple times now and I always go back to some other strat to fullfill 500kg roles. Regular strikes or clusters wipe out groups more reliably than the 500kg, and the orbital laser/railguns do a better job of deleting big targets/objective structures.
For what it's worth I felt the same way when I first got it, but I've recently come back to it and it seems to work a hell of a lot better now? Like it'll wipe a group like I expect it to instead of before when it would kill maybe 2 or 3 enemies. Don't know if they silently fixed it in one of the patches or maybe if the damage fall-off upgrade for orbital stratagems works on it (despite it saying it's only for orbitals v:shobon:v).

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

CainFortea posted:

Tell me you've never been pounced by 6 hunters without saying you've never been pounced by 6 hunters.

It can. It's a setting.
The problem I have with this setting is that for support weapons it's per that individual weapon drop, so you have to change it every time you call a new one.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

The people spamming the discord or getting angry about it look ridiculous. But at the same time its pretty amusing how basic the discord is. It's like the community manager had kind of heard of discord but didn't really know anything about it, so they started a server and added a whole three channels or so and called it done.

also arrowhead forgot to update the steam discussions patch notes for 3 patches and now they've deleted the thread rather than keep it up
Not on the discord myself but this probably stems from the lower player count expectations too lol. Like you don’t need a lot of channels if you're expecting the peak player count to be 1/50th of what it currently is, and only a small fraction of that is going to be on discord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

isk posted:

Yep, I'm interested in the details. Like, did they lose a lead server engineer (who doesn't document their code) halfway through development, is it an off-by-1 error that's hard to find, would things have been OK with 10x the playerbase of the 1st game (which still would've been an enormous gain), etc. Estimates only get you so far
From the numbers that we have and were told, assuming we believe the numbers the devs have put out, 150k was their "pie in the sky wouldn't it be cool if but no way we're actually reaching" number of concurrent players, and their servers could initially handle up to 250k. For reference, the first game peaked at about 6.7k on Steam, and the sales were apparently roughly 1:1 for Playstation and Steam, so let's say about 15k peak concurrent players. For sake of argument if we assume 1:1 PS5/Steam as well for Helldivers 2, we're looking at what? About 900k peak players right now? Hell even if we take Steam alone and discount PS5 players that's like 30x the amount of players compared to the first.