Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I'm kind of surprised they kept DDRing in powers over a radial menu or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Dinosaurs! posted:

I’m coming around on the over the shoulder the camera. Not a fan of the team life limit, especially if upping difficulty reduces that number further. Having unlimited lives in Helldivers 1 made it easy to laugh off teamkilling and I feel like it was a crucial part of the secret sauce that made the gameplay so fun. Maybe playtesting found you don’t die as much in this game and the cap is pretty roomy, but I’m worried it’s going to make the game really sweaty and a lot of people aren’t going to be chill with accidental friendly fire.

it's probably one of those to-3d conceits, as in helldivers one your field of gameplay was pretty narrow, so threats could easily maim you and wiping to defeat was relatively easy. there's no such tethers and you can see out quite a ways, so wipes need another threat.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

game good

fps is a bit weird but i assume that's nprotect, it never drags below 30 for me at least so that's fine

looks like weapon/cosmetic unlocks are only done by the battlepass system, which has regular but also premium trees as one would expect. which is more an issue because it'll take a bit to get to certain classes of weapons, but eh.

strategems are meanwhile level based, and you get currency for them from missions. those can be further upgraded by upgrading your ship with samples, also from missions.

so three currencies; medals which is done by mission completion, money from objective completions, and samples found within missions. plus experience but that just vaguely gates strategems, which seem to all unlock at level 10 and I was level 3 in two goes, so

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

megane posted:

I'll give it a try tonight, but if it's as crashy as it sounds I might wait a week or two.

there's a reproduceable crash if you change your equipment before your first mission (lmao) but otherwise it seems pretty rare

just that one gets everyone

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

trip report;

laser cannon unfortunately sucks. it does what it does well enough, but the machinegun(s) isn't that dire on ammo and is more reliable.

the anti-material rifle is okay and can take care of pesky armored chafe enemies but isn't going to do much against the bigger boys you actually want equipment for. I am not sure if it's any better then the standard MG is against chargers, given you'll want to bop it in the butt anyway. matter of taste.

the smg surprisingly fucks; it's the main gun with slightly less ammo but you can fire while running around like pistols. maybe it wouldn't be so great on controller, but even without a reticle my accuracy is pretty great on MnK and I can just run out of bug attacks. You can also just aim and it's basically the assault rifle at that point. very cool and good. i've had great success just screaming into a nest with the engineer armor and chucking grenades into holes while clearing a path and never slowing down.

the shotgun imo sucks. the doublebarrel you can find in level on the flipside is rad as hell.

Koorisch posted:

So what's the best way to deal with Chargers?

I've been playing for a bit and nothing messes up a mission like having 3-4 of the drat things show up at the same time.

be the matador to their bull. assuming your team is paying attention get ones attention, run behind it so it shakes its rear end as your team and then dive to the side while it bumbles toward you. so long as one doesn't sneak up on you chargers actually aren't all that, just tedious bullet sponges

if you really want to go gently caress charges then the EMS stratagem's showcase shows the hard stun works on them, too

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

grenade launcher lets you kill holes from afar so that's already top tier, but it's still taking up a slot for dealing with armored enemies.

I found the flamethrower in a mission and it didn't seeeeem great? Setting enemies on fire does damage over time as you'd expect, sure, but it's not enough to kill them in a hurry unless you're actively flaming them. you can ofc set the ground on fire and take off, but you could do that much easier and in a wider radius with a napalm stratagem or failing that the premium inferno grenade. idk it felt like it fell squarely into "I could be doing other things." It is surprisingly ammo efficient, though, a cannister lasted me a bug breach each more or less

it is also a video game flamethrower and pretty short range, so I doubt it'll be useful against robots whatsoever

edit: the flamer like most anti-personel weapons has the issue that it's competing with the machinegun you start with and imo it's worse if only in the range alone

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

the problem with chargers is that yeah while there is a way to deal with them they're not a boss enemy, they're just an elite

they come in commonly, then suddenly make everything about them. they also can hit you multiple times and one hit kill you which is incredibly tedious and depends entirely on how you ragdoll

ten stalkers instead, please, god bless.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

masking load times, just like the drop scene is masking load times

Probably not tbh, you can do a cold start join a steam friend's game and be in their ship in like four seconds.

the ship loads up crazy fast, it's frankly wizardry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

CuddleCryptid posted:

I'm not sure how it was in the original but I didn't know these til I tried them:

- Eagles will rearm after they drop their charges, and you can do it manually early if you choose to.

- Boosters from the battlepass are reusable for every mission.

- Linear air strikes come in perpendicular to your facing when you throw them.

boosters are squad boosters, not one and dones. only one person in a team needs (or can) use that specific one, but it effects all the helldivers.