Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I think I hate mortar sentries more than anything else.

I'm really new, about level 10 and think the grenade launcher makes a great all-purpsoe support weapon while also bringing the EAT for emergencies. Otherwise I've got the laser robot thing and the plane airstrike. Any other decent weapons I should look into?

E: more than happy to ditch the grenade launcher for something else, I really like EATs

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Mar 12, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I'm only on 4 difficulty but the GL is amazing for whenever those fat spitting glob bugs show up. Two shots kills them so you can so easily clear the field of them.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Is the armor-piercing liberator just straight up better than the base version?

E. Looking at it more carefully it loses mag size and base damage for the extra AP so probably not.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Mar 13, 2024

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

forest spirit posted:

I will also mention I appreciate how many distinct ways the key bindings can be modified in the settings. I haven't seen this kind of granularity in... I just haven't.

Having spacebar be dive just makes sense.

Yeah I need to switch it to this really badly. No clue what I'll put mantle on but it's not like I use it often anyway.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
If you have multiple Eagle strategems available (say, airstrike and strafing run) and you burn all of the airstrikes, does it head back to rearm or does it stick around to give you strafing run support too? Basically, is it all one Eagle hovering in CAS, or is each attack run type a different plane? It seems like it should be the former but I'm not sure.

I know you can manually send them back early, but I'm currently putting my supplies into the Hangar and wonder if swapping out another strategem for a second Eagle is worthwhile. I'm using airstrikes now but both the strafing run and rocket pods both seem nice in different ways, at least until I unlock the orbital railgun.

E: and any cool armor perks? I'm liking the light medic armor for now since using medals to buy SuperMoney or whatever seemed like a decent conversion ratio at first. In retrospect I probably should have saved that to buy a premium warbond.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Mar 13, 2024

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Even hoping to get flame resistant armor is such shocking cowardice. Just trust your team, or at least your provided stims!

The fire of your faith in Managed Democracy should burn hotter than any flamethrower, keeping you safe!

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I also wish the range on giving someone stims or ammo from a supply pack was just a bit larger, realism be damned.

Also for some reason I've been meleed several times by people after I run up and give them ammo and I cannot figure out why. It's not like anyone takes my ammo which is why I keep shoving it at them.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Do EMP fields do anything to allies?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Chillgamesh posted:

Tower defense missions are pure chaos and I love them. Went back to using the EAT since Chargers get chumped by them and ended up having more kills than all three of my teammates put together because of the laserdog/slugger/gat turret combo I was also running. Bile Titans are kind of a problem though, I can't seem to kill them very reliably by myself while running Eagle Airstrike and the EAT. I can't tell if I'm just missing their headshot hitbox or if they're actually tanky enough to soak 2-3 EAT headshots

Do you just have enough huge targets that you don't need a "true" support weapon and can fire off EATs all the time? Right now I'm bringing a grenade launcher or autocannon (I keep trying to decide which I like better) along with EATs and just grab the EAT when big things show up. How do you deal with things like bile spewers?

The other two are Eagle airstrikes and rocket pods which seems nice and versatile.

Also I have no idea how helpful armor actually is but I think I've noticed the extra speed and stamina from light armor letting me reposition a bit better.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

whiskey patrol posted:

I use a similar loadout (EAT / laser dog / eagle napalm / whatever) and run the armor with extra grenades to use on the spitters.

Laser dog takes the small ones, EAT the big ones, and punisher for the medium bugs.

I've been liking the punisher over the slugger just for the handling. I couldn't hit poo poo with the slugger in 3rd person but the pubisher seems fine.
Nice, I didn't think about using impact grenades on the spewers. Not having a regular support slot calldown means I might actually grab one out in the field too.

Now to see if there are any light +grenade armors, or +grenade armors that look nice. Fashion while dying for democracy is important.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Schwawa posted:

There's at least one light +grenade armor in the Superstore rotation. It looks pretty good too at least imo

Cool! Time to save my superfunds. Or see what comes in the next warbond.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Horsebanger posted:

Free 110s for all is good, they kind of own I've been using them a lot since the patch

Wait free how? I just unlocked them recently and tried to make them work against Chargers. They didn't do so well.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Benagain posted:

I'm gonna history nerd on this for a second: the Maginot line did what it was supposed to do in channeling German forces through Belgium. That was the entire purpose of the line, they weren't trying to build fortress France and forgot a gap, they were trying to dictate where battles happened. If the French forces had been quicker and the German slightly slower there would have been a much longer fight.

What's the takeaway here? Obviously, that if the TCS fails to contain it will be because of insufficient helldiver elan on our part.
Yup, the Maginot Line was is pretty unfairly maligned. It did its job; unfortunately the rest of the French army still got beaten in the field despite it shunting the Germans through Belgium.

I'm actually surprised we haven't seen more about elan in HD2. The idea that if soldiers just had more enthusiasm and verve they could overcome more meaningless things like "crippling absence of supply and communication lines" or "overlapping artillery and machine gun kill zones across broken fields" seems pretty on point for the SEAF.

Anyway, I'm only on difficulty 5 but whooo boy why are people so keen to teamkill you if you touch their samples after they die?

Also, hunters and spewers are definitely my biggest enemies. Chargers suck but I'm getting better and EATing their face when I remember to crouch before firing so the rocket doesn't fly sideways. Is there a good way to kill them if they are charging an ally besides just slamming rockets into their sides?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I picked up a sickle from a dead guy and it seemed nice, but how do you actually use the triangle aim thing to tell you when you're about to overheat? Feel? Does it spin down to a recognizable point? Seems fun but harder to manage than my current "dump breaker rounds into things until they die" plan.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

hiddenriverninja posted:

I don't think the reticle itself does anything to indicate overheating besides spinning fast. I rely on the meter in the bottom left corner as it will turn fill up and turn red.

Ok now I need to know why the reticle exists at all, and why I can change the color of it to be more visible but not change the color of the floating aimpoint that actually shows where the bullets I shoot will go.

Or I'm dumb, that's always a safe option.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

skaianDestiny posted:

Open up your strategem menu again.

Or change weapons

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

jokes posted:

One of the only legit armor-piercing weapons we got! I still wish it was more of an area denial weapon, but whatever.
*dreams in Deep Rock Galactic*

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Riatsala posted:

The sheer amount of ammo they give you for the AC is hilarious and I hope they never nerf it.
Yeah I'm still so surprised at how balanced both it and the grenade launcher still somehow feel despite their differences, and how both also feel so great.

I just unlocked level 7 difficulty and am about to hit level 20. The last few games I settled on airstrike/rockets/Rover/EAT and it was gorgeous once I got a little room to fire off rockets freely. I like the Eagle, I'm just bad at using the airstrikes efficiently. I'm planning on putting my first superSamples into upgrading my Hangar, but am trying to decide on keeping the Eagle rockets or switching to either the big Eagle bomb or the orbital railgun once I unlock it. Someone in the last game was using both of those last two and while the railgun seemed like a long cooldown it also seemed pretty much guaranteed to kill something big unlike the rockets, which have whiffed for me quite a few times. And the big bomb looks impressive as hell but doesn't seem to actually do too much, but having two of them per cooldown might be nice. Thoughts on either of those three?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I love how zooming in first person with the AMR occasionally leaves the sights in giant blocky blobs.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Risky Bisquick posted:

Make sure to test the 500kg with your hanger bay maxed out if it makes any difference, afair one of those upgrades reduced falloff damage

Unless I'm crazy the Hangar upgrades only make it so you can call down Eagles faster. The first cuts the call-in cooldown by 50%, the second cuts the rearm time by 20%, and the last gives you an extra run before you need to rearm.

There is another upgrade that reduces falloff for all orbital strikes, but I don't remember seeing the 500kg there.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Does the Sickle not have hit indicators? I took it out for a spin and didn't get any of the white/red/deflection markers.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

Arc thrower really clicked for me when I realized I don't need to fully charge it to fire every time. My fire rate is so much faster now.

Nice, I need to start playing with it some more.

The Sickle is just so good. Between using an EAT and it I have essentially no ammo requirements at all besides grenades, which is handy both for my teammates and for if I die. Not having to worry about watching my ammo also makes it easier to lay down constant fire. Now I need to decide between a shield and rover, or play with the jetpack some more while it's free.

E: yeah the obvious way to make the redeemer a bit better is to lock it to full auto. At least then there might be a reason to use something else. (I still won't)

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Mar 20, 2024

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Pharmaskittle posted:

I've only played light armor since launch and can tell you that the padded one is very good. The only other trait that makes my eye wander even a little is servo assisted
Two more grenades and bonus better recoil control while crouched is also sweet.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Fate Accomplice posted:

my buddies swear by extended throw distance, try that if you haven't

My worry is if I get used to the longer throw distance for grenades and strategems I'll never be able to switch back.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Tom Tucker posted:

It's weird how games have evolved so much in the live service era. Back in the day you'd just play a game and have fun in the levels. But now when you cap out the various currencies it feels like there's no point to "playing" anymore.

Yeah, like I remember all the way back in bf2142 it felt like the unlocking everything phase was the tutorial and once you got everything the game finally started. Now it's all about the grind and unlock stuff.

E: it is pretty silly that there aren't color options for prestige.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Mar 20, 2024

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

SkyeAuroline posted:

Assuming you're not getting staggered out of the animation every half second like what usually happens to me in those scenarios. I can press the button all I want, if enemies are close to me there's a 50% chance it just won't register and do anything and another 50% chance that if it does register I'll get staggered before the stim applies and waste time with no benefit. Very consistently happens with bugs, which also have the problem of not being easy to disengage from (even running the lightest armor I have available).
Against bugs I'm starting to think the shield or laserbot are mandatory for me. Maybe the jetpack if I get good at using it to disengage quick instead, but so far it's cooldown is too much for that. Either really helps with avoiding getting repeatedly chain-staggered by either just blocking the hit or killing whatever is killing you. Of course, I might just need to git gud and then I could bring another secondary along with the EATs again.

And my favorite non-EAT secondaries (GL, arc thrower) against bugs don't need a backpack either, so there's that.

I want the ability to save loadout slots though, at least for bugs/bots variation.

E:vvvv yeah when I used the Breaker it was clear that laserbot was better just to clear chaff and save ammo. With the Sickle it's maybe a bit less clear because ammo is effectively not a concern and my primary is better at chewing up chaff while suffering a bit more against the medium bugs.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Mar 20, 2024

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

deep dish peat moss posted:

If you use the laserdog you don't need the shield to block hunters, it kills them all before they reach you.

Another option is just taking the top-tier Muscle Enhancement booster since it not only is insanely helpful for traversal but it significantly reduces the slow effect when you take a melee hit and lets you run away from hoppers and hunters anyway.

Oh no poo poo it works on their slow? That's awesome and definitely would push it back laserbot for me.

And yeah that loadout is pretty versatile. The only thing I find myself struggling with is massed bile spewers but even then six impacts help. Hopefully someone else brought an AC or GL.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

LazyMaybe posted:

I didn't know anyone actually used the climb button when you can just hold sprint

Yeah, rebinding spacebar from climb to dive was pretty immediate. No reason at all for a separate climb button. Now I need to stop opening my strategem menu when I want to crouch, but I'll live.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Not that I'm mad but I've played 5 missions on Fori and not seen a bile spewer. Are the spawns random or planet based?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Tom Tucker posted:

Looks like 2 EATs can take out a flyer nest from range
It took me three, maybe one missed?

E: also the arc thrower is amazing

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Qubee posted:

I'm hard stuck at level 7. Granted, it's because I'm poo poo. But also because my teammates are equally poo poo half the time. I also get chewed up and spat out so quickly by bugs, and none of my gear seems capable of taking on the incessant horde of titans and bile spewers. I'm level 18. Any advice?
Just unlocked level 9 difficulty playing exclusively with pubs, and here's largely what I did:

I settled on the Breaker as primary, light +grenade armor (you need to buy it in the Superstore when the rotation comes around) with impact grenades, and EATs/laser rover/Eagle airstrike for my strategems. Before level 20 my 4th strategem switched between grenade launcher and rocket pods, but if you're struggling with bile spewers the grenade launcher is probably the way to go. If you get the Hangar Bay fully upgraded switch out the 4th strategem slot for 500kg bombs.

Also, at some point its worth it to just cut bait and run for it.

E: is there any reason to play on level 9? It seems way, way more stressful and likely to fail than 7s or 8s.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

BitBasher posted:

Sounds like they are trying to....

...Do exactly what you just described. They are going to fail spiral forever until they learn otherwise. To try to kill everything and not moving on isn't just bad, it's a really good way to lose and start a death spiral.

I sound like a broken record, but people have to move on. Run away. Stop always engaging. Definitely never start a fight that's not at an objective, with enemies that aren't aware of you, unless you can end it in a single strategem.

Your friends are collectively sticking their dicks into a cheese grater, then complaining it hurts. That's not a good way to spread democracy.

I just got kicked from a game for doing exactly this. They kept fighting and burning tickets and meanwhile after I died a few times on the hot drop, I ran around and completed both Stalker Lairs and a Radar tower plus two of the oil prep ones. At the final place I ended up dying and as soon as I did I got kicked. It kind of sucked. Guess I shouldn't have died, but still.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

explosivo posted:

Lol I explained this to them every night since the game came out and they yeah yeah'd me but last night I reiterated the whole "it gets harder the more bases we destroy and the more objectives we do" thing and I swear one of them (the one who constantly dies and complains) was like "wait what that doesn't sound right I don't know if I believe that" :cripes:

Honestly ignore that, its a pretty minimal increase to patrol spawns only. Taking fights at bases won't kill you, its getting bogged down in the middle of nowhere fighting enemies you didn't need to fight. The worst part is getting bogged down near a base, especially a Stalker nest, and having it constantly spawn more enemies for you to kill. Then you end up with patrols pathing into you, breaches showing up with more, more patrols pathing into you, and it just keeps spiraling.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

6 is the worst difficulty. It feels almost identical to 7 but no samples.

I presume playing solo. IMO you should switch to the Slugger; with the laser drone taking care of chaff, the slugger serves to more efficiently take out tough targets like devastators and hive guards. Try using impact grenades to clear things quickly, after all you have the whole maps worth of ammo. Wasting grenades to clear bugs before they can breach is rarely actually a waste, and they are superb for immediately murdering bot drops and spewers. It does take practice to kill bot factories and bug holes with impacts but it is worth the effort to learn.

You do have a shortage of orbital firepower. I can't say the laser is the wrong choice really, but it might not be the best one if you can manage to take out chargers with EATs.

I don't know, 7 occasionally gets super rough. Last lobby I had they brought 3 mortars (not EMS either), two AMRs, all the strafing runs, and some 500kgs on a map that had the 50% delay for call-ins on a bug E710 mission. It did not go well. I was the only one who brought any kind of anti-armor besides 500kg bombing runs, and one person dropping EATs like mad just doesn't cut it.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Sindai posted:

I use 110 rocket pods occasionally since 500kg is so unreliable unless you're good at timing it and they are just so disappointing. I've never seen them actually kill a charger (which is okay) but half the time they don't even break any armor.

Actually, on that note how to 110s do against bile titans? On Fori hitting a titan with a 500kg is a crapshoot with the longer call-in time, so might as well try rockets. If it takes two rounds to kill them that's at least a faster cooldown than the orbital railcannon, and a huge advantage to the rocket if they weaken it enough that an EAT can finish it off.110s on Chargers just feels bad though.

Also, why do railcannons sometimes one-shot bile Titans but not always?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Crashing after most of a good 30m level 8 game where it's all going to poo poo but in a fun way sucks. I also could have used those 5 supers. Oh well, game is still fun.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

BitBasher posted:

Just crashed (froze, really) with a minute left in extraction after a 35 minute clear the map job that would have cleared my daily and have been worth 25 medals in all.

Doesn't feel great.

EDIT: So on a hunch since I was so close to the end of the mission, I left it on the frozen screen for 5 minutes, which is enough time the friendlies would have extracted without me. When I logged in I actually got the samples, medals for the mission and completed the daily. I know this because I had just mathed out how many samples I need for pod steering and I had zero medals before the mission. So if you freeze near the end of a job it may be worth it to not end task or quit the game for a few minutes. I don't know if that also happens if I would have shut the game down.

gently caress, one thing I really miss about DRG is the kick protection at a certain point. Just got through a crazy as hell series of missions and got kicked maybe 10 seconds from the end because, presumably, I airstriked the host in the chaos instead of the guy with the samples. Would have been a nice operation payout too.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Yeah happened again thus morning for me as well as last night except this time nobody teamkilled anyone and it was going smoothly. No clue what that's about but it puts a sour taste in my mouth, not only to miss out in super samples but kinda kills the good vibes from the earlier game too.

I miss DRG's community.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Mar 21, 2024

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Lprsti99 posted:

Y'all sure you're explicitly getting kicked? Only ask because cascading crashes that take it once person after another in a short period have been pretty common lately.

Big flashing yellow letters say so, but if that's an error I'd feel bad. Still, since I've gotten explicit connection error messages instead idk.

Dandywalken posted:

You'd better not!
Lol oops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Risky Bisquick posted:

It's almost always best to simply spot them from range and take a breather while you call in whatever you need to wipe them from 300m away. The threat they pose currently is very high
This is also how I learned that from far enough away EATs actually have some drop on their trajectory.