Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Whiffing a rocket meant for a Charger's leg happens way too loving much to me, and I'm a decent shot. Afterwards it's just running around trying to shoot its rear end (still very resilient) and waiting for another disposable rocket calldown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Typical Pubbie posted:

Am I paranoid, or is the game constantly spawning patrols that move toward your position? Or maybe the frequency of patrols has increased? The last couple missions have been a slog with relentless patrol spawns finding my squad.

They follow noise.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Been mostly bugstomping due to the weekly, right now my mainstay loadout is the Breaker autoshotty and machine pistol for weapons, and Eagle Napalm, Jetpack, Dispensable AT Rockets, and the Stalwart LMG (my actual primary weapon). Seems to cover everything, though if I'm in a tight team I'll switch out napalm for Eagle Airstrike since it can blow up heavy poo poo.

Any other alternative setups you guys have found good for bugstomps? I understand that a Grenade Launcher/Supply Pack combo is a good alternative since the GL can wash mobs at medium range.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Ugh, solo game put two loving chargers on the extract and that was legit impossible. No time to even use an EAT to pop a leg when one is constantly on your rear end and its buddy sideswipes you. It's honestly absurd that their "weak spot" isn't even that weak, you can dump most of an LMG mag into it and it'll still keep going.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

JBP posted:

I've decided the 110mm eagle is underrated. It doesn't clock up a million kills, but having it in your pocket for when one bad thing is wrecked the teams poo poo it is an absolute godsend to be able to call a highly accurate and devastating hit in. If it had three uses it would be too tier for me.

I took it per your advice, and as annoying as it is losing a slot to basically double up my anti-charger capabilities, it's better than getting caught against more than one with only EATs to respond with.

That said, it still can be spotty: had it hit a charger and do nothing to any limb armor. Also the range is dodgy as gently caress: I was getting hounded by a charger during an extract, I threw down the marker, and the Eagle instead went for a spore tower 100 meters away from the fight.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Also, just learned that the standard machinegun calldown is good: it punches through medium armor, which is basically the entire grown up bug category below chargers. Cuts down basic warriors, the hive guards that go into blocking stance, and even brood commanders. I've loved the Stalwart MG as a "primary" weapon but it does struggle against warrior waves so I guess it's time to retire it and be better about pacing my use of the MG. Only 2 reserve mags and a long, stationary reload stings like a MFer.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I've tried the GL and it is pretty good when I'm not killing myself with it, but you really need to take a supply pack with it.

Is the Autocannon decent even for solo work? I hesitate to take the team weapons when playing alone or with pubbies.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Infidelicious posted:

AC owns, if you are soloing with it and don't completely unload it it has a normal weapon length reload.

Sick, that's my next buy then.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
drat, people weren't kidding with the autocannon partial reload. Stripper clip like it's a bolt action, very fast, wipes out anything short of heavy armor with the quickness.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Hey TBF I don't think I've seen that super light armor with less recoil and explosive resistance outside of the daily shop with the premium currency. Would like that for my build personally IMO

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
BTW, autocannon users, heads-up: apparently AC shots can bust charger legs if you shoot the legs from behind. Don't bother for the big juicy charger rear end, one round will weaken the targeted leg and another AC shot from any angle will then break it. If you can play matador, you got a good chance of wrecking those fuckers without having to wait for EATs, though I would still take them in any case.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Took my autocannon against bugs and got p deec at popping charger butts with it, to the point where I decided "hey maybe I can free myself from the mandatory EAT slot." Next mission, we got jumped by 3 chargers and that brought us down to 1 reinforcement, the nearest I've gotten to a failed mission. gently caress chargers.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
drat I'm actually so over the bugstomp + charger dickery that I switched entirely over to space Vietnam and am actually having more fun now

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Away all Goats posted:

Is it better to specialize in one type of calldown (Orbital, Eagle, Turrets) or just grab the good stuff from each?

An upgraded Eagle stratagem set can drop all its charges fairly quickly (4 second gaps between the calldowns, and then restock in 2 mins), so that's a lot of napalm, bombs, cluster bombs, bigass bombs, rockets, and/or gunfire, FWIW.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Apparently the laser weapons are better against the robots because they punch through medium armor? Or at least the laser cannon does?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Will the anti-materiel rifle be good enough to handle everything short of hulks and tanks in robotland? I love the autocannon but I would like a change of pace.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Phenotype posted:

What weapons do you bring to terminator planet? I played a couple rounds there yesterday and it felt like half the enemies had my LMG rounds bouncing off their armor. How do you deal with, like, the AT-STs if they're coming right for you? I tried shooting them in the legs but that bounced off too.

By LMG, do you mean the Stalwart or the free one that has a bipod?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Autocannon is BiS for a lot of poo poo but has anyone tried the Penetrator AR + Stalwart LMG combo? I just want a change of pace, though I'd understand if we're still too early and deep in the launch month balance swamp.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yeah nah I like the game and am glad Arrowhead is finally getting mainstream success but I legit have no idea who decided to do a bonus XP weekend with servers still being spotty as gently caress since release. All that's going to do is piss people off

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
autocannons also pop their butts very quickly, around 3 shots i feel. that said, the charger butt legit has a tricky hitbox on top of the drat thing being squirrelly as gently caress

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
*ignoring the burning wreckage of servers, overtime work, and all the Sony money that made this happen* Take that, lazy devs

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
My theory is the game is basically a significantly more accessible ARMA. It's actually very simulationist in the ways that count, and people vibe with that.

Hell, you even do the staggered distance/target call-out cadence when you're pinging stuff on the map and in person.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
NGL, my opinion on this game is souring because of all this "oh we're doing so well, have an extra XP weekend, we're blowing past all these AAA devs" narrative when server stability has been a rollercoaster since launch and is now going straight into hell because of the weekend thing. Also, it's frankly absurd that we're getting peak players at 300k (and I even have crossplay on) and I'm still having to play some runs as solo because matchmaking has been broken this entire fuckin time

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

where's a democracy officer when we need one

they're stuck trying to log in

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Whatever the intent, telling people "you'll get increased rewards this weekend for playing" and then getting hit so hard that you have to cap your servers is the IRL version of fumbling an orbital strike beacon on your location

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Herstory Begins Now posted:

excited to see what them calling in a 500lb bomb eagle strike on themselves looks like next

announcing ports to switch and xbox for sale right this very moment

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
The charger rear end hitbox isn't as generous as it looks, the upper part counts as armored. Aim low for better odds

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Off the top of my head it's three to explode the rear end and maybe two more for the finish, though at that point you can just let it bleed out.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
dead games

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
It's a log in requirement they suspended for the meantime because it was causing issues at launch

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Eagle strikes have short CDs between uses, and when they run out, they'll all go on a longer cool down that replenishes every charge. Eagle strikes also tend to land much faster than orbital strikes do. In effect, they're basically better for running battles and clutch moments.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Have your SO host, if you two don't share the same pool of friends.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Anyone tried using grenade launchers against Chargers? They should count as explosive damage and therefore should shred the charger's rear end with the quickness. Just musing on this because TBH grenade launchers chew through elite mobs faster than the AC does, and that presumably would apply to the charger's weakpoint.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I've managed to finally get in and do dailies but it seems like quickplay and public matches are completely dead, huh

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Goddamn if this weekend ends with me playing 2 games total only late after midnight because that's the only time I can log in and they're both solo games because of busted matchmaking

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I would like the heavy weapons that aren't the railgun, autocannon, and grenade launcher to be worth using outside of Looking Cool, actually.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Oh yeah they're great, but mentally I file them under like, offensive stratagems because they're disposable and cooldown quickly.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

:)

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
This is the first time I'm doubting Steamchart numbers because playercounts going up while the servers remain as volatile as ever seems wildly incompatible. Surely everyone eventually fuckin gives up sitting in queue or black screen or whatever situation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
There's culture vultures out there making videos with thumbnails going IMPORTANT PATCH DROPPED! for this one, and yeah it sure is important because stability has somehow become worse with it