Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

how the gently caress are ppl even getting into the game, let alone getting into the game consistently enough to unlock poo poo

over 2 hours of "gameplay" and all ive done is the tutorial, with the rest of my time staring at that drat login screen. I regret shutting the game down the one time ive gotten in cause ive yet to get back in, this sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

CainFortea posted:

Wait a second! You mean that my experience is not universal?! Why did no one tell me this? What other truths have you been hiding from me.

Anyway good job missing the point. The person I quoted was responding to me while ignoring half of my post.

The loading screen has flying bugs in the background

the person you quote is objectively correct. a lot of the negative reviews on steam are from people that are unable to play the game. they didnt say that the game was unplayable for everyone

i can speak from experience cause im at 2+ hours and only a single match, rest of the time has been spent staring at the login screen. I dont feel compelled to leave a negative steam review, but i feel like it would be reflective of what the game is like in its current state for a lot of people

anyways, i hope the new patch helps today. would like to get some matches in later when i get back from work

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

CainFortea posted:

No, they weren't. The whole thing happened because Steam poo poo the bed, players spammed, they were told not to spam, so they spammed harder, and then everything got locked down/deleted. Also the helldivers 1 discord got deleted for some reason.

These are the literally explicitly stated reasons for some of the reviews. I watched it happen in the discord once it got let up a bit.

Hell, here is an image of a steam review that is about the discord drama.

the 14th has the least amount of negative reviews for the entire launch period. the vast majority of the bad reviews happened over the weekend, when the servers really went up in flames. i glanced through a couple hundred reviews and didnt see a single mention of discord drama. almost all were about broken servers and anticheat programs

i highly doubt that the discord drama had any impact on the overall amount of negative reviews, like you seem to be arguing

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Volte posted:

Where's the "Helldivers 2 is a plucky indie success story" thing coming from? Arrowhead Games is a 100+ person company and the game was published by and funded by Sony over the course of nearly 8 years. I wouldn't be too surprised if we find out they're getting acquired by Sony soon.

$40 game = indie game, simple as

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

patch just dropped

those look like good fixes so far, nice

however, looks like theres no afk kicking?

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I think the reason the bots are kicking our rear end is because for whatever insanely stupid reason, the only defense mission available at the lowest levels is the rescue 30 scientists one, which is nightmarishly hard compared to every other mission for new divers and almost impossible to solo

that has been the only mission ive been able to play. I figured id be fine since i was at difficulty 1, but drat, the drops were nonstop and it took me way too long to realize I had to rescue people from the same building and not clear out other buildings. solo too cause the reinforcement beacon did not call in any other divers for me. barely failed it, rescued like 21 out of 24 needed

i did manage to extract after time ran out, used up all my ammo and was pretty hectic and fun

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

finally got in last night and had an absolute blast. got all the way up to difficulty 5, which still felt pretty easy even with my extremely basic loadout

cant wait until they unfuck the servers cause i want to keep diving back in

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

is there a freedom and liberty button a la rock n stone from DRG?

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

ok, found out an easy way to get past the login queue on pc, even if you have no friends to join

step 1: join the Goondivers 2 steam group. Its open to the public so anyone can join

step 2: on the group page, click on anyone’s name that is playing. It will take you to their profile page. from there, hit “join game”. no need to add them as a friend

step 3: spread managed democracy!

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

bought the jetpack last night and it seems kinda underwhelming. The jet jump itself is fine, tho not too exciting, but the cooldown feels like it takes forever

that said, i think it will be fun to use on the sprawling kind of missions where i like to break off from the group to grab secondary objectives/destroy isolated outposts by mylself. def would not recommend bringing it on any kind of defensive mission

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Owl Inspector posted:

what’s the point of the machine gun sentry compared to gatling?

takes longer to burn through its ammo and you can bring both for more dakka

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Insert name here posted:

Okay I heard the Breaker Spray n' Pray really sucks but how bad can it really b--
https://i.imgur.com/1mp4tju.mp4
Oh

what niche is that even suppose to fill? sucks when theres completely dead end weapons but i hope they rebalance stuff so that every weapon at least has some scenario where its the most useful

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

i call this clip "get down mr president!"

https://i.imgur.com/V3pDJar.mp4

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Infidelicious posted:

Indoctrination from the Starship troopers informative video where NPH shoots off a leg then the brain stem.

It's just counterintuitive to both logic and years of training in games and media that you should aim for limbs over heads and center mass.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

ya, 90% of the time my gatling turret will waste all of its ammo shooting drop ships. Dont even bother bringing them on bot missions anymore

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

does anyone else dive before they throw a stratagem to try and get some extra distance?

im not sure if it actually works, but drat, it seems like im chucking these bastards much further

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

i love going off on my own to collect samples and destroy bases. its incredibly satisfying to solo assault a large base and level that bitch with 5 different call-ins

i do keep an eye on my teammates activity to make sure they arent getting overwhelmed tho. Feels great to clear a few bases and then bring hell with me when i unexpectedly come to the aid of my pinned down comrades

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

i have a problem with the autocannon

when i say i have a problem with it, i mean it in the way that alcoholics have a problem with drinking. i cant get enough of it, ive barely used any other weapon

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Arrath posted:

The worst is when Ole Rambo dies and drops 18 samples in Timbuktu, so yeah fireteams of two seems ideal

this is another reason i try to stay in the same general area of my teammates when im off on my own. Not too bad to hop over a few squares to pick up the lost samples, but yeah, hoofing it across the map in a walk of shame is the worst

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

doing SEAF artillery solo sounds miserable

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

i must be in the minority cause i find bugs tougher than bots but that could be because 80% of my missions are bots since i think theyre very fun to fight

i also just unlocked level 8 difficulty so maybe i should try some bug missions to see how they stack up at higher difficulties

lol at the person saying that bots have perfect accuracy tho. it may feel that way when you get sniped by a random rocket soldier, but trust me, they whiff their shots constantly. Youre mainly in danger if you plant your feet to give them time to dial in their aim, but if youre using cover and diving when in the open, then youll make them miss a ton of their shots. the rocket pod devastator guys are pretty scary, especially if you have an incline behind you for the missed rockets to blow up on, but thats mainly because they launch a whole salvo of rockets. Only the cannon towers have extreme accuracy in my experience

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

they should add a big shotgun that you have to call in and hold on your shoulder to fire

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

the game also needs a man-portable mortar that can have different shell types

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Risky Bisquick posted:

We need a heavy bolter, shoulder fire like early table top

thats just the autocannon

its da best

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

you better be able to ride on the mechs shoulders like a deranged parrot

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

servers dead?

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

love it when poo poo just gets hectic

https://i.imgur.com/L0g6cg2.mp4

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

this game has been so successful that im excited to think about all the cool stuff the devs could add

i bet they had to cut a ton of features leading up to launch and now they can dust off those files and hopefully implement the stuff from their wildest dreams now

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

the only thing that confuses me about the breaker vs other shotguns is the insane ammo count

breaker holds 7+1 mags of 16 rounds for a total of 128. the pump shotguns hold 40+16 for a total of 56, its not even close

i get that the breaker will lose some ammo here and there from reloads, but the reload is so drat fast that i hardly ever do non-empty reloads, even in the middle of a fight. i actually really like the first shotgun you unlock, and by all accounts i heard the slugger is even better, but i dont want to use them cause they are terrible at ammo efficiency compared to the breaker and it sucks rear end to be near empty after one kinda long fight

itd be nice if they added like 20-40 rounds to the pumps so that i can feel more confident using them to clear up trash and not think im screwing myself over down the line

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

It's worse than that, the Slugger only gets 24 rounds from a resupply callin box. Not sure if the pump shotty is the same, but its an inexplicable anomaly compared to all other primary weapons.

Breaker should be like 8 round mags imo.

i would also accept resupply boxes giving full ammo to the pump shotguns, that would be nice

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

riot shield should go flying from the divers hands if it blocks a rocket but the diver should be left untouched out in the open

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

diving while holding the shield should put it under the player like a sled and let them slide down inclines

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

jokes posted:

who in the world wants voice communication with randos

just type it out its better that way. voice comms are for people youre close to

voice coms are fun, ive added several randos to my friends list because of this game

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Steve Yun posted:

https://x.com/jojakelion2/status/1763179350709444875?s=46

One person has already been spotted running around in a mech

nice, loving the stuff on this list

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

will vehicles take up a stratagem slot or will the devs be nice and give everyone a dedicated vehicle slot

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Rusty posted:

I tried the mortar turret, I should have thought more about placement as that thing is so good at killing teammates. I was wondering why I kept getting killed by that thing, and now I know, you can't just place it like a normal turret or you are going to blow up your team repeatedly.

Would be nice for turrets too, maybe there is a way and I don't know about it.

i basically never bring it on bug missions cause it will almost always cause some teamkills. It is good against bots tho since they usually dont swarm as much in melee range

i will say tho, that the ems mortar is drat amazing and i bring it on nearly every mission. No need to worry about friendly fire with this one

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

ChaseSP posted:

I've actually managed to get killed by the EMS mortar landing directly on top of me once, but yeah the EMS mortar is absurdly good against robots and not a bad pick at all.

lol, good to know that is possible

i think the ems is also really good against bugs cause they group up a lot and the cloud will slow them all down. Maybe not as big a deal if you can juke them easily i suppose

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Dandywalken posted:

loving amazing

now we just need a Calvin-diver pissing on Malevelon

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

explosivo posted:

What does this mean? I could never figure out how the autocannon was supposed to kill a charger by shooting the leg because it always bounced off the armor, are you intended to shoot the leg with a normal gun enough until it's exposed? I don't think I've ever actually tried that.

with the AC, shoot either the back of the leg or the butt for damage. it cant strip armor but since its explosive, it will do full damage against the butt weakpoint whereas non-explosive weapons only deal 10% damage to the butt

you need the railgun to strip the leg armor. once its stripped, you can use any weapon to damage the exposed weak point

you can also shoot the legs with any weapon right after they do a charge and it will damage the charger through the armor, but that seems like unintended behavior

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

eagle cluster is good against bug hordes but you will kill your teammates while you learn the range on it