Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Frog Act posted:

Moron rear end in a top hat level 30 guy runs into my bombing run, immediately kicks me even though we were just waiting for extraction. What a loving jerk

lol at them grinding to level 30 already and being this salty about a random death thats their own fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

bandaid.friend posted:

I rarely get full credit for the suitcase+transforner+radar mission. The end stats usually say one or more objectives weren't done, I think something's wrong with it

For those three-stage main missions like 'fix two donglehickies then launch the icbm' - It'll say you failed to do one of the objectives, but then it'll give you the correct rewards anyway at the very end.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

Has anyone determined a weapon tier-list yet? I just unlocked the burst AR with medium penetration and it seems like a flat upgrade over the base AR and DMR, like no reason to ever use either now that I have this thing. Best thing about it is that you can just chonk through the red armored bugs without having to waste call-in weapon ammo.

the tier list basically goes

very strong: breaker shotgun, autocannon, railgun, maybe stalwart

ok: most guns

trash: break-action, laser rifle, super citizen smg, starter pistol, sg-8 punisher, ??flamethrower??, laser cannon?

The penetration liberator is very strong against medium targets, but struggles to kill trash efficiently; its a good choice if you trust your teammates to clear the field.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

there was a suggestion on the steam forums that kicking people should just be disabled when main objectives are complete or after extract is called

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

the secret with the new protect scientists mission appears to be everyone just hitting the drat button
you can finish it in 3 minutes if everyone hits the drat button instead of me running in circles trying to hit all the buttons

LuiCypher posted:

Doesn't really help, they do it when we get back to the ship. The public community in this game is really wearing me down...

my mistake. i thought you were talking about getting kicked before the end of mission, which apparently has been a thing with certain hosts. in such a case you get screwed out of mission rewards completely.

Getting boned on operation rewards is annoying, but pretty minor relatively speaking. Maybe they were just done playing, or had a friend they wanted to play with; so it goes.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Feb 16, 2024

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Perks definitely work, except for Extra Padding since all that does is more armor.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

GruntyThrst posted:

Do the bots not just murder the citizens as they run? Also you're going to run out of smoke pretty quick

The buttons can be pressed as soon as you drop - that's 9 scientists in the shuttle before the bots even have a chance. If you spam all the buttons on cooldown you can finish the objective pretty quick, before the spawns really start escalating.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Typical Pubbie posted:

Does shooting down dropships actually destroy the units they're carrying?

Hard to tell. As far as I can tell, units don't specifically go down with the ship if they detach before you shoot it down. You have to scramble hard to hit the engine fast enough. However, if the dropship crashes onto unit without killing them, those units often get stuck and essentially are out of the fight.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Feb 16, 2024

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

GlyphGryph posted:

I did the HE mission and it didn't count. now I did 8 automaton defend campaigns and it didn't count. It sounds like plenty of bile spitters you kill don't count as well.

Does this game have serious problems tracking quest completion or what?

There's two kind of spitters, bile spewers and nursing spewers. Only the bile spewers counted for the order iirc.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

slicing up eyeballs posted:

I had one mission dc as we loaded back into the ship and another displayed no rewards and I'm crushed because we were so thorough finding sc and medals, maybe all isn't lost though? currently stuck looking at my ship above orbit after leaving the host lol.

oh is anyone else getting the bug where picking up medals or sc freezes you in place for a few seconds? I could only crouch/prone, turn and salute. happened to me and the rando I was playing with throughout the match, really tense to be frozen and hear bugs get closer. also Colonel GubGub, if you're out there, hell of a job 🫡

Sometimes when you pick stuff up from the drones i get animation stuck until the game decides to reset, but it mostly seems to happen if i mash butan as fast as possible.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

JBP posted:

One of the more amazing features of higher difficulties is the environmental pressure. Last night we ended up in a mission where we literally could not see poo poo against overwhelming but force it was crazy.

The one before that got so dark we had terrible vis. We were moving to the extraction knowing lots of bugs were on use, then someone lit up a hill we ran down with a bombing run and we were all like "we need to loving leave" because the hill was bugs.

"Alright, Extraction is on the other side of that hill. Easy run."

*Turns on light*

"...That's not a hill."

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

TracerBullet posted:

Had a really frustrating 'bug' earlier. Did a solo mission where I had to drag a HDD all the way across the map, got to (I think) the final step where I had to 'manually adjust' a radar dish and, because I didn't have anyone on the other terminal to press go when the dish was in the right spot, I got stuck. No way to disengage from the terminal, no way to kill myself, and no bugs around to kill me. Could only open the map and turn the radar dish with A and D.

Had to watch the last 15 minutes tick away hopelessly and then failed the mission.

Something similar can happen with the double-locked vault doors - there doesn't seem to be a way to 'disengage' with the button after it's been pressed, even accidentally.

Be careful out there, soldiers!

Pressing E again should always just disengage you

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

toasterwarrior posted:

My theory is the game is basically a significantly more accessible ARMA. It's actually very simulationist in the ways that count, and people vibe with that.

Hell, you even do the staggered distance/target call-out cadence when you're pinging stuff on the map and in person.

TARGET...BUG...FIFTY METERS

WHERE ARE YOU?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Tom Tucker posted:

The industrial might of Super Earth must be truly staggering if every disposable dropship cannon fodder gets his own FTL destroyer with multiple support personnel.

Just another example of the clear cultural superiority of managed democracy!

yeah, but its timeshared with the other 90 helldivers in cryostorage

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

SES Panther of the State here! First wave at Malevelon Creek!

Don't read too much into the steam reviews. Most of the negative steam reviews are about the login/matchmaking issues entirely caused by server overloads. The games actual netcode and play experience is smooth as silk - there's very few playability issues. The core gameplay is amazing, which is why the game blew up in popularity in the first place.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

The people spamming the discord or getting angry about it look ridiculous. But at the same time its pretty amusing how basic the discord is. It's like the community manager had kind of heard of discord but didn't really know anything about it, so they started a server and added a whole three channels or so and called it done.

also arrowhead forgot to update the steam discussions patch notes for 3 patches and now they've deleted the thread rather than keep it up

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Galaga Galaxian posted:

You’re the first person I’ve seen praise the light MG. Most people ignore it or think (perhaps rightly) it should be a primary like in HD1. It seems ok but do you really feel it’s worth a stratagem slot?

I had considered trying it but once I hear it only has light penetration I kinda figured it was better to grab the other MG instead.

the stalwart is extremely good at killing things, and has notable advantages over the machinegun (the biggest of which is reloading on the move.) the problem it has is mostly a meta problem; at difficulty levels >7 you're facing a lot of heavily armored targets for which your team *needs* support slot weapons that are suitable for those targets; there just aren't enough eagle strikes to go around. Meanwhile, the breaker is still pretty drat good at clearing trash and doesn't cost you a strategem slot or support slot. So most people who are tryharding are running breaker + railgun or somesuch.

Note, you can still run up to 7 with the stalwart and succeed pretty well with a coordinated team. You can probably do higher too if you're Good At Video Games, but the amount of armor spam will start to get rough.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Feb 20, 2024

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

The endgame is basically doing your part in the Galactic War.

It'd be nice if high difficulties had a bigger impact on war contribution than they do now though. Right now it just seems to be # of missions played = impact.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Phenotype posted:

so I was thinkin about yknow, the lore as shown by the environment and enemies and stuff... The automatons are probably not just killbots, huh? It strikes me as significant that their big hitters tend to be the same T-600 skeletons as their ground troops, just stuffed into a suit of armor or riding the back of an AT-ST.

I mean, they're robots, right? They could just make an AT-ST with a robot brain inside if they wanted, with no unarmored dink on the back to get shot. And since they don't, there's likely some sort of civilization there, right? Like, they're not just "robots", it's a race of people who look like T-600s, and they're just reproducing more of themselves and building tanks and armor for themselves to use, rather than building different, more powerful robots.

And if it's a true civilization with real intelligence and culture, it's even more of a threat to Super Earth, and every last trace of them must be extinguished.

From my understanding, the bots are a last ditch doomsday weapon, a self replicating machine plague released by the Cyborgs when Super Earth won the first round of galactic wars in Helldivers 1. It went off into the dark and replicated the poo poo out of itself and now it's back. Presumably, the machines are working off the tech and knowledge base of the Cyborgs, including the Cyborgs idea of what a military looks like.

The Cyborgs themselves appear to have been, uh, liberated.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

last i ran the defense mission, it was noticably easier than it had been; the nerfs are having an effect. But it still feels like something is fundamentally wrong with the mission. Why are there so many sub objectives outside the mission area? Why are there so many patrols in addition to the dropped forces? Why do the patrols have flares enabled?

the worst part is definitely that people won't press the Democracy-forsaken button though.

its so easy! just press it!

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Dominator is super fun to use, but yeah you need some trash clear. Honestly though, proactive cluster bomb use and +2 grenade armor with impacts can get the job done, so long as other people have some better trash clear.

Dandywalken posted:

Ugh had an annoying failure cascade last night on a 7. 3 of us got chased out of bounds and lost our gear, and had to fight at one point five Chargere at once. Really wish theyd just up their vulnerability to rear end damage.

Got two of the awesome 500kg vs Bile Titan direct hits tho! Then server crashed lol

chargers have a massive vulnerability to helldiver pods, its fine!

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

tesla tower seems decent, but the bit about being safe while prone near it is a dirty liar by lying liars.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I believe when there's very tall obstacles near your drop zone it takes control from you, to prevent you from landing way up high.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

There's 4 (5?) support weapons that break heavy armor - the eat-17, the recoilless, the spear (debatable i suppose) and the railgun. AMRs can efficiently kill every robot unit except tanks and base turrets. There was a gif posted not long ago in this very thread of someone killing two hulks with the AMR.

Saying there's only one weapon that breaks heavy armor is frankly inexplicable. What'd you do, grind eradicates until you could get the railgun?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Didn't say it did. The questionable weapon is been the Laser Cannon, which some people have said can melt off armor but i haven't seen that happen personally.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

A+ jifs.

Hulks are generally more manageable than chargers; the ranged hulks tend to keep their distance and are easy to shoot in the eye, while the melee hulks it's possible to simply blow off the flamethrower arm even if you aren't confident of an eye shot, on top of them being vastly more vulnerable to small arms shots in the rear.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

It's a community goal, not a personal one: We as a community need to clear 8 defense campaigns.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

One place where helldivers is very strong is the interactivity of the targets. The Hulk, the closest equivalent to the Charger, is possibly the most interactive target in the game. You can take out either of its weapon arms with medium werapons to heavily reduce the threat it presents, or shoot a leg to cripple its movement. Any player weapon can kill it via the massive weakpoint on its back and damage dealt here stacks with direct damage dealt to the chassis via AT. Or you can use some weapons to straight out kill it with eye shots, though that requires not just precise aim but usually also not having people shooting at you (flinching from hits makes this really hard.)

The Charger is in comparison really uninteresting. Most of it is heavily armored, except for the tail which almost feels like it's there to fake you out rather than be a practical way of killing it with small arms. Shooting out its leg just kills it, and is in fact usually the best way to kill it. You really can't affect its offensive potential in any way other than killing it. You can shoot out the side armor, but this doesn't do much and is actually surprisingly difficult to follow up on with small arms. I think you still need medium armor pen for the sides even after they break; it's not clear to me. Trying to kill it with direct hits from anti tank support weapons is almost a waste of time, it simply takes too many shots compared to doing leg hits.

A more interactive charger could be a better and more balanced experience. My ideal world charger would have 6 legs. A leg hit from an EAT-17 or Recoilless would blast a leg off immediately - reducing its speed and charging capabilities (perhaps even cause it to 'spin out' if its mid charge) - but not killing it. 2 or even more lost legs would be required to kill it. Its 'head' should be more of a 'sensor stalk', where even small arms can blast it off causing it to be blinded. A blinded Charger would still be able to sense players (technobabble about echolocation), but would have no ability at all to track players during a charge. A hit from a Spear should possibly not kill it immediately, but should at least make it mostly dead and put it into bleed out. The Tail weak point should either be bigger than it is now, or it should be significantly more vulnerable to small arms and be basically a 1-shot from an EAT-17 or RR.

quote:

Maybe give us a sticky anti armor grenade that kinda sucks in blast radius or technically has none, but is effective enough at piercing armor that it can take out most armored enemies.
Impact grenades are pretty much anti-armor already. Try em. Throw em under chargers, or at tank weak points, etc.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 24, 2024

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Someone suggest earlier than the only valid way of using 380 is to throw both it and the walking barrage at the same target, and they're right. Combining the two, especially with the barrages upgrade, increases the salvo density enough to be more reliable about doing heavy damage to big bot bases.

as far as i can tell the 120mm has the same scatter radius as the 380mm (~60m safe distance) , just its hard to tell because its pretty rare for any given spot to take a hit from it.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 26, 2024

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

explosivo posted:

I've tried with the 500kg bomb but didn't end up loving it. It was not as reliable at blowing up buildings/holes as the eagle airstrike and the fuse timer made it hard to nail big targets with it like a charger. It's great for chucking into a group as you're retreating or about to push in to clear out a lot of chaff but I think the airstrike is just as good at that too if not better because you're more likely to get collateral damage from one of the bombs that drops. The cooldown didn't bother me much because I was only really using it when we reached a base so most of the time it was ready when I needed it. Don't get me wrong it's cool as hell but I don't think I'll be bringing it regularly.

It has a better feel once you get the +1 uses upgrade, since it only starts with 1. It's really best for dropping directly on Bile Titans, hehe.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

its possible to get revenge on the death holes. they explode when you grenade them. i assume they're full of E-710

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

the only thing that confuses me about the breaker vs other shotguns is the insane ammo count

breaker holds 7+1 mags of 16 rounds for a total of 128. the pump shotguns hold 40+16 for a total of 56, its not even close

i get that the breaker will lose some ammo here and there from reloads, but the reload is so drat fast that i hardly ever do non-empty reloads, even in the middle of a fight. i actually really like the first shotgun you unlock, and by all accounts i heard the slugger is even better, but i dont want to use them cause they are terrible at ammo efficiency compared to the breaker and it sucks rear end to be near empty after one kinda long fight

itd be nice if they added like 20-40 rounds to the pumps so that i can feel more confident using them to clear up trash and not think im screwing myself over down the line

It's worse than that, the Slugger only gets 24 rounds from a resupply callin box. Not sure if the pump shotty is the same, but its an inexplicable anomaly compared to all other primary weapons.

Breaker should be like 8 round mags imo.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

When the shield is on your back it still actually does deflect shots. Might be the best way to use it.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

The trick to getting maximum mileage from the RR is to drop it again and get someone else to take the backpack so you can buddy load in a pinch and have an increased ammo income. Best done with friends of course; it would take Best Pub to make this work.

The other trick, unfortuately, is to not try to buddy load when things are in maximum chaos. Dumping tanks, chargers, or cannon turrets quickly at long range? Great. Trying to do it after things have gone to poo poo will just get you both killed.

quote:

Splash damage seems to always let me down. Went between a robot's legs to splash behind him? Doesn't count. Nail a hunter in the face and watch their two friends next to him ignore it. Frustrations with "So easy to close factories/nests!" with multiple wasted shots, then nailing the long distance hand grenade throw without servo assist just to rub it in I am just trash with a launcher.

IMO the real trick with the nade launcher is not trying to use it at close range. close range is a recipe for disappointment and killing yourself, and you dont have enough ammo to take dubious shots.

But there's really nothing better for wasting a bot drop or patrol quickly - it even puts the autocannon to shame. It's an eagle cluster bomb in a can. In my last match i even managed to nail a platoon of mg raiders in midair as they were dropping. It was glorious, robot body parts spraying everywhere, despotism in shambles.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Mar 1, 2024

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Angel's Venture had something insane like 390,000 helldivers on it last i checked

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

hbag posted:

been thinking about those games that tried to scam people into thinking they were discounted helldivers. doesn't steam hold funds like that for a couple of days anyway before passing it on to the developers in case they need to do any refunds? surely they didnt expect to actually see any of the money from doing that because its not like valve are just gonna let them keep the money

IIRC Steam holds for a whole month. So yeah, it was a stupid gimmick.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

bandaid.friend posted:

The confusing thing is, it definitely hits the tank vent, but bounces off the mortar vent

If it was a shredder tank with the 4 guns, i think that has weaker turret armor than the annihilator tank.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Yeah not only does it summon drops, it does it above and beyond the normal bot drop budget. Getting spotted by the eye is when poo poo goes downhill fast.

It's a bad day to helldive when eye and jammer towers buddy up.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

Orbital lasers will kill factories just like that, but only rarely will they close a hole. Also chargers need to die a whole lot faster to OLs, it basically took the entire charge to kill two. That’s bullshit

railcannon strike in the corner, crying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Its a little baffling how scout walkers are classed as vehicles frankly. The EAT video shows you shooting them with it and the spear locks on to them for some fool reason.

The role of the Spear is being able to easily dunk factories, cannon turrets, etc. at long range. But it doesn't dunk some things quite easily enough and right now it is simply too unreliable. Note 'missing chargers' isn't really a problem - this is usually gonna be from people shooting at minimum range and the charger zooming