Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

People are gonna be thrilled to learn that the reason Super Earth was at war with the tentacle Protoss is because “they have WMDs”

Hopefully they bring back the illuminates as like, “terrorist insurgents” because they’ve been put in internment camps since the last war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

Major Operation posted:

I would expect matchmaking tonight to be ROUGH.

Based on the overall trend I wouldn’t count on server stability at all this weekend. It’s on track for your classic delayed viral PC game success. This weekend or next will be like a 500k+ peak concurrent on steam alone imo.

God only knows how many PS5 players are gonna purchase it either, since nothing like this that is good has come out there recently.

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

The trick with vehicles in original Helldivers was that you got one (1) for the call-in slot and there was no way to resupply or re-load its guns. Once they went dry it was over.

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

JBP posted:

Soni guess it's basically inferior to the railgun by default since you can't reload it?

By reload I mean get more ammo

Yeah that's pretty much true, for chargers, especially because if they run at full clip sometimes they'll dodge the shot. The Spear is pretty much for killing Bile Titans and evil robot Tanks.

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

Helldivers 2 - Divers! In the hellpod

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

Herstory Begins Now posted:

literally the game could not be any clearer that you are the disposable cannon fodder

To be clear in-game the helldivers are the elite of the Super Earth Armed Forces. They get skimmed off the top of the military training camps. The SEAF are the regular guys you see everywhere on every single map, dead, with somehow shittier armor than you, a liberator or break-action shotgun, and NO CAPE. No cape is key. Cape = Helldiver.

Phenotype posted:

Well, it's a little weird because as disposable cannon fodder, you're given access to so much ordinance and initiative. Like, you'd think there would be some non-Helldiver troops that don't get orbital artillery synced to their command, just dudes with a helmet and a rifle that go off in groups much larger than 4, with a proper command structure and officers in the field telling them what to do.

If you want to try to make this fiction work in a believable way in-world it's basically that Super Earth has so much industrial capacity and such a high population that yeah there are literally hundreds of thousands of these top-tier disposable strike soldiers. They can afford to burn dozens of "well-equipped mega elite" soldiers on just one of these insane behind-enemy-lines missions. All of which are like 18-24 years old, each of which is told they are captain of their own cool giant spaceship and has the absolute best equipment and then gets sent on suicide missions. The real guy in charge of the ship is the Democracy Officer, standing next to the mission thing, and everyone just politely pretends the Helldiver is in charge for the 30 minutes between defrosting and death.

Either way I hope we lose a campaign at some point so people can see what happens when we do, and I hope it's the same as the first game: They just move Super Earth to a new planet, pretend it has always been Super Earth, and restart the war.

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

If I recall the first game had a handheld flamethrower, a burst-fire pistol, and a plasma pistol. Hopefully those come back.

Actually maybe you can set the default pistol to burst-fire, I have never checked.

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

Icedude posted:

What was The Illuminate's deal in HD1?

Relatively peaceful extragalactic psychic alien colonists with hyper-advanced technology and electrical skin. Due to their tech being more advanced than Super Earth it was decided they must have planet-destroying WMDs and so Super Earth invaded them. Obviously they did not have WMDs and the Super Earth corporations just wanted to loot their tech to make stuff like our shield domes and the arc projector.

Lots of jokes like "wow we liberated this planet just in time before they could deploy the WMDs!"

e: you had to dodge lots of bullets and light wall shields and stuff while avoiding incoming enemy melee. they had a particularly hated/hellish psychic power guy that reversed your controls.

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Having said that, Helldivers 2 just handily beat Destiny 2's all-time PC numbers and Sony paid 3 billion dollars for Bungie

Not to jump on you specifically, but I’ve seen this narrative around and it is not true. These posts are often accompanied by a cute SteamDB graph comparison that completely ignores the part where Destiny 2 was not on Steam for the first two years it existed.

In short one cannot confidently say that Helldivers 2 has higher peak players than Destiny 2 ever did because one does not have those numbers at all. What we do know is that Destiny 2 moved more than 5M copies on its launch week. HD2 did not.

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

What if we hugged in the blazing light of a nuclear blast? :blush:

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

Dyz posted:

I think my favorite looney tunes moment in this game is when the knockback from a teammates airstrike ragdolled me and caused me to drop the airstrike I was holding at my feet.

Which then killed the half the team.

Same, but I was holding anti-personnel mines and I have the upgrade that makes them come in instantly.

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

Owl Inspector posted:

what’s the point of the machine gun sentry compared to gatling?

It’s very situational but I think that the MG sentry seems more accurate over long ranges. This could matter on the really open maps like the barren moons and rocky grassy plains.

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

Insert name here posted:

There's definitely more to armour pen than Light/Medium/(presumably) Heavy, based on my anecdotal experience.

One of the secret finicky milsim things in this, besides the speed of your guy aiming a lighter vs heavier weapon, is that the angle of hits matters. Hitting a tank flat-on versus at an angle with a rocket is the easy example but chargers are affected by this too. Wouldn’t be surprised to learn that bullet projectile size affects penetration e.g. tiny spraynpray shot doesn’t do much against brood commander’s armored face.

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

SES Elected Representative of Self-Determination

It's the longest name you can have. It takes up the entire side of the ship and I laugh every time I see it.

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

Seems reasonable to want the UI elements to tell you the truth, idk. If there’s one for “bounced off” then the opposite one for “cool weak spot” shouldn’t secretly do less damage.

Subverting player expectations is fine but in a game about cooperation and success it shouldn’t undermine the fun.

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

Dandywalken posted:

Why cant you swim anyway? Just tie it to stamina, armor be damned.

Its weird that its almost sort of implemented

apostateCourier posted:

Swimming is a trap for the panicking and the inadvisable shortcut takers. It's funny when someone tries to make their virtual soldier swim in full body armor, and it's a better solution than the instant death of HD1.

I think they should split the difference and make an armor perk that’s just “you can swim in this armor.”

It would be extremely situational, but very cool when you get the right map to use it on.

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

JBP posted:

I reckon it would be boss poo poo for egg missions. Run around the back while the fight is on, jet pack up to the egg zone and torch/bomb the eggs.

Jetpack + Flamethrower on egg missions. This is what I do right on up into helldive, and maybe there is a better way to do it, but I love this way of doing it. :flame: :getin:

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

The Grumbles posted:

So I see why you might wanna just rambo your way out of there. I'd maybe suggest that it's better to try and communicate to your team that they need to stay on their feet and keep moving though. I think it'll just take a bit of time for people to learn the difficulty curve, so that you, and your boys, are still able to make those precious memories together.

The trick is to shout “Helldivers, we are LEAVING” into voice chat like you’re on LV-426.

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

You guys realize they are going to add more, higher difficulties as the war bonds cause power creep right? That's what they did with helldivers 1. Helldive ain't as hard as it'll get

Yeah I’m not* excited for difficulties 10-15 to come back. Though I think 12 was Helldive in HD1 so maybe 12 will be The Inner Circle of Hell this time.

*Mostly on account of The Discourse

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

burnsep posted:

BTW (in addition to my plea for PS5 players) the game has been downloading for 4 hours and it’s still just at 30%. Is this normal?

The planets heard you call them ugly, so now we have to convince them one at a time to get on your machine. It’s gonna take hours. Some of them are crying. I hope you’re happy.

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

Darox posted:

What is everyones favourite armour trait?

The medic trait is outrageous. Two extra stims, and when you use the stims you get extra seconds of delicious combined regeneration and status effect, stagger ignoring freedom screaming drug power.

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

Kazinsal posted:

The laser cannon looks like it should put in work but there's seriously no reason to bring it over an autocannon at this point. drat shame, I wanted to go full spartan laser for the glory of Super Earth

It is superb at cutting off big brood commander legs when the mission is Big Bug Hell. Absolutely top class. Great to have around and pinpoint accurate at huge ranges.

Unfortunately you have an equal chance of getting a mission that’s spewers or spitters instead in which case it is dogshit.

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

hiddenriverninja posted:

They should have a system that detects whether a planet is about to be liberated and require raising the flag to hit 100 percent

This but it’s the difficulty 7+ version and you have to raise like 10 flags across the map.

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

Worf posted:

I'm glad that the flamethrower is better, I was setting myself on fire anyways while it was bad or mid or whatever

But if I can do that with 50% increased damage to the enemy that's a huge buff for me

Great news. The 50% increased damage applies to you and your team as well.

You won't even have time to stim if you set yourself on fire.

Anyway the flamethrower was good before but it absolutely Fucks now.

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

Bussamove posted:

Can you actually juke a patrol/breach hole that’s spotted you so they drop aggro? I’m coming from the Vermintide/Darktide side of things where if they’re coming at you it’s a fight no matter what, I’m still getting used to how things work in regards to the AI here.

Yeah definitely worth saying that you can definitely juke a patrol to drop aggro. It requires gettin distance, breaking line of sight, and staying quiet by not calling in stuff and shooting.

You can also juke out patrols by distracting them with explosions, sentries, etc in a direction you are not going! If they didn't spot you they'll head towards the booms. The Tesla Tower is great for this against bugs. They just walk at it. Literal bug zapper.

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

Cimber posted:

Oh God, the Eagle Smoke Strike. I so have the awful idea of dropping that in the middle of the extraction site mission end just to be annoying

My crew unironically smokes extract at mission end on bot fights. They’ll shoot around your last known position, allowing for a smooth escape!

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

waking up to see tien kwan completely stalled overnight, europeans simply hate democracy

:yeah:

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I feel like headshot damage was something secretly toggled on this patch because I was trying out the laser backpack on a low difficulty and it clipped my head for a quarter of my health so I stimmed, it did it again for less then a second and killed me from full HP.

I can tell you that half-second headshots from the laser drone have been in since at least day two.

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

The flamethrower is an anti-personnel weapon. The Charger is just a very large personnel.

The flamethrower is otherwise not very good at fighting armored enemies people are just extremely fixated on chargers—for obvious reasons, of course.

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

nexus6 posted:

https://i.imgur.com/KR3RXBL.mp4
Not me, I wish I was that good.

This offends me. I’ve tried to do it three times and was instantly killed on landing every time.

Now I see this video.

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

Sindai posted:

I dropped a 380 strike in the middle of a medium bot base and it still manages to avoid destroying either factory with laser like accuracy. Pretty silly for a 4 minute cooldown that makes you sit around for 30s watching it.

That’s rough. I’ve used it to wax a dozen small/medium bot bases since the upgrade and it has failed on maybe two mediums, leaving one factory alive both times.

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

Flying bugs? Preposterous.

Frankly, I find the idea of a bug that can fly offensive.

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

[arc thrower],it'll get nerfed i guess

I don’t think so. I think it’s like the autocannon where it has strengths and weaknesses.

Mode 7 posted:

:siren: :siren: :siren: HELLDIVERS 2 THREAD GANG TAGS :siren: :siren: :siren:

If you want this gangtag:

Notes/Rules:
[snip]

Gang me

JonBolds fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Mar 13, 2024

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

Nuebot posted:

Does anything except player weapons even do arc damage?

Not yet. In the first game the Illuminate walkers had lightning guns. There were lots and lots of them.

I think that’s where super earth got their Tesla gun tech from.

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

There was a low cooldown EAT-equivalent MG in the first game. A crazy 9-barrel machine gun that had a 300 round internal magazine. I hope it returns.

Re: “blue lasers”

This mostly looks exactly like the laser/plasma weapon pinging off heavy armor or thing it can’t hurt effect. I guess people haven’t seen that a lot? Shoot a laser cannon/scythe at a charger’s back armor to see it a million times.

Some of the clips are weird but also this game has some real weird bugs.

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

Arc Hammer posted:

The increased stategem cooldown on Draupnir makes it one brutal grind. Lots of open ground laced with chokepoints so after your initial deaths it's a long time to wait until you've got your stratagems back up to deal with the growing bot numbers.

Stratagem Cooldown is honestly one of those deal breaker, never pick modifiers for me. It’s just not enjoyable to have that much downtime on very important call-ins.

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

Lamquin posted:

I need someone to tell me I'm not the only dumbass trying to left-click the expanded minimap to mark a location while holding a grenade/loaded Airstrike stratagem in the hand, which results in me throwing the stratagem and killing my team.

This is the Helldiver equivalent of texting while driving and you deserve what you get.

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

Ihmemies posted:

How come I never see THAT much stuff with 3 other players?

The other 3 players are also killing bugs.

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

Dandywalken posted:

Would rule if Autocannon mech got the large caliber autocannons like the turret has.

In HD1 the autocannon exo had quad normal autocannons.

…the other one had a huge anti-tank autocannon and a flamethrower. I pray to Super God each day for its return.

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

FunkyFjord posted:

It really is pretty cool how the game totally accounts for that. You can be 4/5ths of the way through reloading something, dolphin dive out of the way, and then come back to the finally steps of like sliding the back funnel on to the RR and locking it or chambering the first round in the machine gun when you have the time. Really makes the weapons with the long reloads way more worth it, shows great attention to detail and how smooth the devs made every weapon process.

Yeah this is one of the things I love over and over in this game. The kind of stuff we used to dream about in like 2005.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

Section Z posted:

Also If my laser sickle is considered overpowered while still blocked by decorative scenery, that means enemy lasers are super overpowered because they get to shoot through it just fine :v: So please nerf enemy lasers down to be like mine, thanks.

Clearly the bots aren’t using lasers, they’re using Star Wars blasters.