Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

I like the laser cannon, it goes BVVWUUMMMM and if you're careful you can use it forever for zero ammo expenditure. It makes really pretty blue shiny effects when you blast away at armor to let you know 'stop shooting here'.

Also it's extra cool on icy planets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Was just in a game with randos, difficulty 5, where no one seemed to know you're supposed to loot samples off of your bodies. I spent half the time just running around collecting samples that were dropped.

Finally at the end, I had 15 samples on me, but I did right before pickup. No one called me back in, no one looted the samples, and they took off.

Samples earned: 3. WHAT a waste.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

raverrn posted:

You can kind of get it to work in Automaton missions - it can lock onto their spawners, making base clears a dream, and hulks and tanks are much slower than chargers for easier shots. The ability to lock on is based on at least somewhat how much of the target you can see. Height is your friend here. It can also be easier to use by looking down the sight - there's a wandering target cursor that helps show you what part you should be pointed at.

I saw a video of someone using the lock-on spear, and when they were using it they would have that 'aiming' triangle come up, then they put the center dot of their aim into the middle of that triangle, and it would lock on.

The person in this video didn't do that, at all. Their dot didn't go in the aiming triangle, and the lock-on keeps failing.

I haven't used it, but I wonder if it's just a mechanic that isn't well understood, and it actually works great when you properly 'center' it.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Phanatic posted:

Jesus, those rescue-the-scientists missions are brutal. On Extreme it's just non-stop crushers and bile titans, insane .

I did one, 3p last night, difficulty 7, and it was nuts.

Not helping was one of the people decided to leave the base... but not to do the 'raise hell so the base doesnt get spawned on so much' strat. No, he just snuck around and looted a bunch of sites quietly while the two of us were in Bug Hell.

I kept asking him in voice to either make some noise out there and take the pressure off, or come back and help actually finish the mission. No response, he just kept sneaking around and picking up samples while we were just in a death/respawn loop covered in chargers and bile titans.

We finished it with seconds to spare, lifted off, then he immediately kicked me aboard the ship. At least he waited.

Edit, unrelated:

https://twitter.com/helldivers2/status/1765044878386364517

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Make chargers be permanently lit if they get hit by fire

My friend asked me to stop shooting chargers charging him with the flaming shotgun, because apparently flaming chargers hurt more.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Dinosaurs! posted:

The railgun felt appropriately powerful for needing to wait until level 20 to unlock. I feel like the bigger need, for bugs at least, was to do something about chargers. I play on PS5 and there’s no way I’m able to aim for the 10mm of exposed skin at its leg joint like that one goon was talking about a couple days ago. Getting headshots on bots is also not a given. I appreciate the PC players who can, but a lot of these changes feel like the result of crossplay discrepancies.

I can only take one primary gun. Buff those to make more of them appealing.

A level 20 unlock isn't supposed to invalidate level 1-19 unlocks though? They're not supposed to be straight improvements, they're supposed to just be new options.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

If the flamethrower's flame dot part was buffed, is it just a flame buff across the board? Does napalm now do more? Incendiary Breaker? Or is it specific to the fire from a flamethrower?

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Ciaphas posted:

how does reloading on the autocannon work? i got it unlocked late last night and was confused as gently caress the whole time why i couldn't reload sometimes

(e) also taking it means no supply backpack right? :(

It reloads in chunks of 5, so if you have 6-10 shots in the tank you can't reload.

If you're down to 0 shots, then it does the super long two chunk reload, so try not to do that.

The good news with the AC though is that you never 'waste' ammo, there isn't a clip you're tossing out and replacing. You're just slotting more in.

Edit: Each yellow slot in the backpack is a 5pack of ammo, which is pretty neat visually.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

jokes posted:

How do you grab from your own supply pack with controller?

Hit the reload button. There's nothing special about it, it's just the ammo takes a backpack slot.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Nuebot posted:

Also picking up ammo will refill your backpack, just in case it wasn't obvious. So as long as you have your backpack you basically have infinite AC ammo and it owns. Absolutely worth not having any other backpack on automaton missions imo

Yeah, I don't think I've ever ran out of autocannon ammo. It has so much, and resupply and the little world ammo packs refill it. It's practically a primary weapon (though don't shoot bugs within like 5m of yourself unless you like blowing yourself up)

You absolutely do not need a 2nd player to load it for you. Just grab the autocannon and the backpack that drops in, and you're set.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Kazinsal posted:

It looks like the laser cannon will melt a charger if it misses a charge and you just focus a single leg for 3-4 seconds now.

I wonder if that animation/armor desync will get fixed.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

I think heavy armor will be a lot more viable when there are vehicles in the game for long distance travel. There's currently too much legwork between points in the big missions. But if I could wear heavy armor and drive between them? Heck yeah.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

I played last night in a volcano eruption, which was meteor-ish. Just splashes of fire hitting the ground occasionally. You'd get a warning when it started up.

I couldn't see any indicator on the ground, you'd just randomly get splashed. Maybe I just didn't see it on the jungle floor. I never died to it, though I did get hit and taken down to maybe 20% health a few times. It did blow up a bunch of bugs though!

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Ciaphas posted:

so i'm crazy in thinking the AC isn't so hot against bots, right, 'cause i swear i was just deflecting off everything

also was the laser cannon really buffed, feels like i'm tickling the things with a feather

I used AC against bots last night, and was doing great. Single shot to the cab to take out scout striders (most of the time, rarely they will stand back up). Two shots takes out most medium bots, just avoid the shield on the shielded one. Hulks you need to aim at the face. It ain't great vs tanks though, unless you can get around to the back.

But yeah, for taking out the medium bots and scout striders it was fantastic. You can also take out fabricators from long distance if you can get somewhere in the front arc of it (to bank in the shot).

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Play posted:

I just got 95 medals delivered in two notices one after the other for 'major orders'

I just logged in for the first time today, and I'm still sitting at my 38 medals I had last night. Hope I don't miss out on any.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

trizzNPH posted:

can you not team-reload an ally if they're using the weapon + holding the backpack?

The ability to reload is on the backpack. If you want to help someone reload, you have to be wearing the backpack of the weapon type they have.

It's almost like they thought when an Autocannon + AC Backpack dropped together, they expected one person to grab the autocannon, and someone else grab the backpack to load for them. That's definitely an option, but I'd hate to lose the ability to reload the gun I'm using.

I have seen 2p autocannon teams reloading for each other, like you run out of ammo, and instead of reloading yours (slowly) you just hop on their cannon and keep them firing.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Next week: "Ahh gently caress the pesticide actually made them grow wings, flying bugs added to the game"

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Qubee posted:

Is there a way for me to aim and deploy a strategem without the need to throw it, for far away targets? The really explosive strategems keep on killing me because I can't seem to throw them accurately enough, I would much rather prefer designating the target with aim + keybind.

The chaos and inherent inaccuracy is part of the charm of the game. Ahh gently caress blew up my team lmao FREEDOM

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Owl Inspector posted:

This is specific to the kind of airstrike. the strafing run is up and down, the cluster bomb is side to side.

Yep. The first one which is a bunch of bullets goes straight out from you. You can drop it like 10' in front of you and you'll be fine, as it wipes out everything in a line forward.

All of the other ones are tangent (side to side) from your position. (bombs, napalm, forget what else, I don't eagle that much)

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Mode 7 posted:

:siren: :siren: :siren: HELLDIVERS 2 THREAD GANG TAGS :siren: :siren: :siren:

If you want this gangtag:

Notes/Rules:

1) Quote this post within the next 24 hours or so, cutoff time will be 14/03/24 9am UTC (you can of course buy the gang tag for yourself at any point, this is just for the freebies)

2) If you already have the max amount of gang tags (3) please tell me which one to remove to make room in your quote post.

3) Desire for this gang tag was way higher than I expected. If your only post in this thread is asking for the gang tag I am probably not going to queue one for free, apologies. I queue these up but admins still have to sign off on em and we're apparently discouraged from handing them out like candy :v:

I'd like it! Add it onto my other one please.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Logged in to check out the new warbond, I really want to know how well this thing works.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

The warbond armor is a little weird.

Page 1: Medium armor, 100/500/100, Arc Resistance
Page 2: Medium armor, 100/500/100, Arc Resistance
Page 3: Light armor, 50/???/???, Arc Resistance (standard light armor stuff, I forget the stats.

I feel like page 2's should be heavy? Why would we get two versions of medium armor and no heavy? Wonder if they are going to put heavy arc resistance armor in the random super credit armor sales?

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Nuebot posted:

Does anything except player weapons even do arc damage?

Currently no. I'd suggest maybe the new Protoss-y faction might, but a 95% reduction in damage screams "This is specifically to prevent one type of player-only damage".

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Dren posted:

when i tried it i couldn’t figure out any kind of range indicator and the range was, uh, surprisingly large

There isn't a range indicator, aside from dying instantly. Just give it a wide berth. Pretend it's a minefield, because it's basically a similar form of area denial.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

TheMostFrench posted:

I'd love to find out more about these. I get the feeling it's just a way to create an explosion if stuff is chasing you. Some people claim it eliminates fog in the area, others claim to have received resources and currency like medals from blowing them up. Maybe not all holes are the same every time? These are a couple of discussions about it, but no one can agree on exactly what to call them, or exactly what they do. Some people have claimed to kill Bile Titans with the explosion.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/553850/discussions/0/7599331177369138503/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Helldivers/comments/1bao9im/does_anyone_know_what_the_volcano_holes_do_other/

They're there for loving idiot teammates with all of your teams samples to fall into.

Edit: This reminds me, I was carrying a hard drive for one of those 'get the hard drive to this other point' missions, and I walked into some water. I immediately dropped it and it sunk into the depths, irretrievable.

The mission site spawned another one though, I had to walk back and get it, with my friends groaning at my poo poo.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

The other battlepass has a good gun in there too (the JAR-Dominator)

Please, don't lie to people like this.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

jokes posted:

Breaker incendiary is incredibly useful for hit-and-run shenanigans because you can just ignite a bunch of bugs and kill a good chunk and then book it.

Breaker Incendiary is great against chargers because then you have flaming chargers, which kill you and your teammates even faster.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Ciaphas posted:

how do you aim AC shots to take out bot factories, my shots always just impact without blowing anything up

Top of the vent hood so it deflects downwards into the vent. You gotta bank it off the armor.

You also have to be like, within 15deg arc of the front, you can't do it at a wide angle.

Edit: Or in the open door when bots pop out.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

explosivo posted:

The little flaps that are extended up at an angle coming out of the chute are heavy armored, so if you hit those dead in the middle it deflects the shot straight down into the chute. Basically bank it in off the backboard. Once you figure it out you really can't miss as long as you're at a good angle.

fwiw I never had this work once

The open door works with grenades at least. I'm honestly not sure if it works with AC shots.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Spookydonut posted:

i headshot a brood commander and then it stood still for a second, then called up some warriors.

I saw that for the first time last night too. A brood commander was getting drilled with primary fire, and as it died three warriors came up out of the ground right where it was. No bug breach or anything, it's own personal summon.

Which means, of course, I quickly had four headless bugs scything me.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Hwurmp posted:

shoot the legs

I just shoot in their general direction and their big dumb heads pop off first every time.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

BlackIronHeart posted:

I'm sorry, the what?

The lightning buttplug.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

My coolest Bile Titan kill was when one had 2-3 Bile Spewers under it. I popped the Spewers with an autocannon and their death explosions brought the Bile Titan down too.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Zwabu posted:

I find this question confusing because when I join someone else’s game I am picking it off the war map and it shows the specific mission, how many players, who they are and what level. Is there some other way to do it? I did join a Bile Titan assassination mission once and it turned out to be the end of a stop illegal broadcast mission instead, not sure how that happened.

Just hit R on the PC version while looking at the map to autojoin a random game on that planet and difficulty.

If you pop into a game while they're already in the mission, I haven't been able to tab back to the mission overview to see _what_ we're doing, so I just guess on loadout based on what those in the mission already have.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Diephoon posted:

You should consider yourself lucky if the orbital railcannon gunner actually hits a bug, then consider yourself EXTREMELY lucky if they decide to hit an elite target instead of the tiniest dude on the map.

(railcannon whiff vids removed)

I've used this thing like 20 times in the past week, and it's yet to miss a bile titan or charger. One shots chargers every time, bile titan's it's maybe 50/50 on Dead vs Gaping Hole.

Throw better maybe? There's definitely a range it can extend out, but it's not THAT huge.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Tom Tucker posted:

Here is a list of super fun strategems that are less used:

Air burst - drops three blasts great for dealing with bug breaches and does really good damage.
Walking barrage - when there are thing sort of “that way” no not “in that area” that’s a different barrage.
Eagle rocket pods - very similar to rail gun but they’re rockets!
Autocannon turret - S tier for sound design alone and can kill chargers
Flamethrower - the voice acting makes this a must pick every few missions.

I used the Autocannon Sentry last night in Space Scotland. If it's set up properly high so you're not taking out teammates, it's fantastic. We had a ton of robots streaming through a narrow pass, and it was lighting them up nonstop. Lots of splash damage and explosions.

It's neat how it fires in three round bursts, because it usually takes three rounds to take out the biggest non-hulk baddies for the robots.

Edit:

Arc Hammer posted:

Question about SEAF Artillery. You load five shells and then it's ready to fire. If you exhaust those five shells but you return to the gun can you reload it with the other shells that are usually lying around?

No. The terminal is nonresponsive and it won't let you load more.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Jack B Nimble posted:

If I deploy the mortar sentry defensively against bugs, am I going to team kill once they're in and among us?

Mortar vs bugs is a teamkill machine. If no one is looking I'll just pop it with an autocannon round to turn it off before it kills us.

At least the EMS Mortar will only kill someone if the tiny shell itself hits a player. It's super rare. The 'explosion' is just a slow for players, but it is practically a solid wall for all enemies that are caught in it.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Had a guy with all of our samples last night (25ish green, 15ish orange, all 5 purple) wade into a river. I'm on mic "Turn around, you can't ford that, you'll drown!!!!!!"

Bye samples. I still have a ton of upgrades I need.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Oneiros posted:

ye, the problem with rocket devastators isn't that you can't kill them. it's that when you peek around a corner they've already prefired a salvo of missiles at you

I run heavy armor with explosion resist (versus bots) and they don't kill me too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Oneiros posted:

i think i own two heavy armours total because they're otherwise so lacklustre but i've been contemplating running it on bot missions

150 armor instead of 100, then another 50% explosion resist on top means in bot missions, I tend to have the lowest deaths and highest stim usage among my friends (i survive the OHKO rockets).