Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Level 6 difficulty starts getting pretty wild with bile titans spawning in during breaches and I haven't gotten past that yet to unlock higher levels. I just want my purple samples dammit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Man I dunno why people think the bots are harder than bugs. Stalkers and Bile Spewer spam is worse than anything the bots throw at you.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Diligence is good on bot missions, as are the AMR or Autocannon. If you're Level 20 and have the RP, just slam a Railgun in don't look back. The shield generator backpack is also nice for bot missions. In my experience the Orbital Railgun also oneshots tanks pretty consistently (I don't think their HP increases with difficulty? It kills them at Level 7 at least).

Edit: Honestly the Railgun is the answer to basically everything. I genuinely think it's OP. The only things it can't do are plug enemy spawns or destroy spore towers/illegal broadcasts from across the map

novaSphere fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Feb 15, 2024

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

I had suspected the bot defense missions were deliberately too difficult for narrative purposes and would be almost disappointed if that weren't intentional.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Agreed the Diligence vs bots is pretty good. It can one-tap most trash and two-tap Devastators with headshots. The Diligence Counter Sniper however is maybe the worst weapon I've ever used and gave me motion sickness. It has really good auto aim in TPS mode when prone tho.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Is there a toggle sprint function in this game? My pinky is getting sore from holding shift down constantly.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

Yep, in the key bindings you can change the mode from 'hold' to 'press' which turns it into a toggle.

Note that you can do this with every key binding in the game, it's super flexible.

Absolutely huge. thank you!

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

bandaid.friend posted:

I feel we're losing a lot for the armour value issue

Tried out the plasma gun. While shooting little bugs I was thinking "this is like a Breaker but more dangerous to me and my team" except the Breaker fires faster and has more ammo. The explosive trait almost never helps. Like, I can shoot nursing spewers in the abdomen. But it's faster to kill them by shooting them in the face than the abdomen so I might as well be using a shotgun or railgun. Bile spewers? There's too much armour, use a railgun. It's slightly better at shooting medium size bugs at range but is absolutely worse at hive commanders. And I feel I need a support pack to feed it.

Haven't tried it against bots yet! It's accurate with a little splash so maybe it's useful at shooting devastator faces. But I don't think explosive helps against robots?

Late here but the Scorcher absolutely owns, imo. Bile Spewers die in 4 or 5 hits, Scout Striders can die in 2 hits from the front (splash damage kills the rider), and can blow out a Hulk weakspot in 4 or 5 hits as well. For what it's worth it also destroys Spore Towers in like 5 hits. I guess doesn't "win" against the Breaker in a vacuum, but it's pretty good.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Infidelicious posted:

My 100% Accurate and Definitive weapon ranking list:

The Knight SMG, only available in the supporter bundle, is so bad it's not even included in this list I see

(It's bad. Not necessarily because the gun itself is bad, but has ammo problems like the Slugger where it inexplicably gains less ammo per resupply or ammo box than other comparable weapons)

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

I worded my post poorly and meant to say the Knight is actually a pretty good gun but is hampered by its ammo problems. Maybe they'll put it in a future Warbond so others can use it; the game is already lacking in dakka primaries as-is

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Armor working again is kinda nice I guess, but I'm not convinced losing speed and stamina is worth being able to take a couple more hits. Armor rating doesn't really confer that much extra protection.

quote:

if they want strategems to be the way to deal with hordes then they need to make a 500kg reliably kill a Bile Titan.

The 500kg absolutely wrecks Bile Titans, you just have to actually hit with it. It really sucks with strategem calldown time malus though.

novaSphere fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Mar 6, 2024

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Today I found out only one medium and at least two heavy armors with Fortified can survive point-blank splash damage from Scorcher accidents, albeit both barely. Weirdly, the B-24 Enforcer can't survive despite having higher than average armor rating and Fortified

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

New Laser Cannon is really good now, in my experience. It's not great against Chargers, but they still eventually melt if you shoot the butt or joints after they miss a charge. It absolutely shreds turret and tank weakpoints and can kill Hulks by pointing it into their eye. Since it's actually decent at killing things now, you can Jump Pack to spots bugs have a hard time with and actually make an impact with its whole infinite ammo gimmick. You probably want the shield bubble otherwise, though. Also pairs nice with an ammo-hungry primary like the Scorcher. I haven't done 8 or 9 with it yet but have been having a good time blasting away in 7s :hellyeah:

It probably helps tien kwan is a snow planet

novaSphere fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Mar 7, 2024

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Diligence, Dominator, and Scorcher are all really good against bots too. Liberator AP is just okay against bots, but is better against bugs IMO. The Scorcher is not as good against Devastators but that's why you have a support weapon or a teammate to help you with those. Being able to 2-3 shot Striders from the front is really great, as is being able to blow out a Hulk weakpoint in like 5 shots. It's fine against everything else the bots throw at you.

Also, I dunno who came up with the idea that the Diligence CS is secretly medium armor piercing because it absolutely isn't.

novaSphere fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Mar 11, 2024

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

I heard the Spear lockon is allegedly more reliable if you use first-person view and that turned out to be a lie. This weapon is so loving stupid it makes my head spin.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

So the reward for the TCS event is Hive Lords reawakening right?

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

There's some on reddit. They're a rare spawn like the mechs were on Tian Kwan during the defense campaign.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

I found the Blitzer is honestly pretty decent. It fires instantly, you barely have to aim it, and it has unlimited ammo. I like it on defense missions or just for personal defense.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

It was very kind of the bugs to begin an alert on an ice planet the same day the Sickle dropped

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Late to this but the Sickle does visibly start venting steam when it's about to overheat, and its projectiles become fuzzier and distort a little.

On that note, has anyone noticed regular guns shoot red tracers to show when you're about to run out in your current mag? Either that's new or I never noticed it before.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Ended up on a run that happened to have a Shrieker nest. The flyers weren't very interesting and not a huge threat (nowhere near the danger level of Stalkers at least), although I did die to one dive bombing me, but they're otherwise effectively regular trash mobs that are a little harder to hit. When you approach the nests you also get a Hellbomb prompt if you can't blow them up normally. Not sure if they can be blown up with small arms like Spore towers or what.

novaSphere fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Mar 18, 2024

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Section Z posted:

They might nerf the amount you regain on ammo and supply, but they have backed themselves into a corner total capacity wise with the backpack model displaying total spares and the double magazine system making even a simple -1 ammo change a lot of work for the devs to deal with. (and even -12 total ammo would still leave it better off than the grenades!)

The magazine on the Breaker was changed when its capacity was nerfed and we've already seen a 6-slot supply backpack, so I don't see why altering the AC backpack or clip models would be some massive blocker if it actually came down to it. I also think the AC ammo is fine :confused:

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Stunlocking a Titan is also great to let the occasional Orbital Laser actually do its job instead of fruitlessly glassing the dirt 3 feet behind them

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

LazyMaybe posted:

As said above, it's not about its raw damage output(which is a average). It's that the explosive tag lets it do good damage to some targets that otherwise have 90% damage resistance against primary weapons, and also the small splash lets you kill striders(the robot chicken walkers) from the front.

I'm really glad more people are seeing it like this. The Scorcher doesn't necessarily win a DPS race against other weapons, but it can kill fuckin everything

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

No, the sights in this game are almost conspicuously terrible across the board

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

So long as the shield blocks slows from Hunters and other sources of bullshit it'll always be a top pick. I used to hate on the Rover because it was pretty lethal to players but that seems to be less of a problem lately.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

The Laser Cannon is also able to drill through Shrieker shrooms without too much trouble.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

the explosion tag means it's good for popping bile spewers but otherwise it's just a much worse slugger

The Dominator is misleading; while it is classified under 'Explosive' in the list, it does not actually possess the Explosive tag like the Scorcher and Lib-Conc do. It doesn't actually deal explosive damage, it just shoots big bullets that hit kinda hard. I strongly disagree on calling it a 'much worse Slugger' though because the Dominator has triple the fire rate and can actually deal with crowds. Both guns are good.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

It's an 'Explosive' type weapon because the ammo is literally tiny rockets; each shot is a rocket propelled slug projectile.

I personally love the gun for bug missions, especially if I'm not bringing the Arc Thrower. It's able to punch through all the armor on brood guards/commanders/spewers and while it handles like a truck, since I usually bring the extra grenade armor for bug missions it also gets a big recoil reduction if you take a knee.

You can also take out spore spewers from a mile away with half a magazine

Right; it's classified as an Explosive weapon but does not actually deal Explosive damage, meaning it does not deal bonus damage against big weakpoints nor can it even deal damage to Shrieker nests. Also about the latter; Grenade Launchers do not seem to make a dent in them. I emptied my entire GL ammo reserve and it did nothing.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Section Z posted:

It does give the impression the Devs may have been mad about people saying "Oh cool, we can just shoot spore towers with whatever!" to make the new nests double EAT resistant, and then have multiple per nest.

I have not bothered even trying impact grenades, but with multi rocket resistance I wonder if even a full engineer suit 6 pack would be enough.

I dunno, I imagine the devs just wanted to make sure the nests weren't trivial to take out like spore spewers and radio towers are. Shrieker nests are already very easy to spot and target from a distance and would barely register as a threat if they were equally easy to destroy.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

LazyMaybe posted:

seems to have (at least roughly?) the same pen as the slugger

The Dom has slightly less penetration than the Slugger because the latter can destroy fences and caches while the Dominator can't. Both are excellent weapons IMO and enjoyers of either can come together in agreement that they're better DMRs than any of the existing DMRs. The Dominator just needs to have its categorization changed to not be misleading (a Jet Assisted or Gyrojet category would be nice, as you say) and maybe a beefier firing sound instead of the hollow one it has now.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Ravenfood posted:

This is also how I learned that from far enough away EATs actually have some drop on their trajectory.

So do Recoilless Rifle charges, but their trajectory is flatter (and I think faster?)

LazyMaybe posted:

Did some testing of the AMR's sight earlier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_Q37BTA9Qs

It's definitely not hitting in the center of of reticule at the zeroed distance(or anywhere closer), though using the upper left corner of the square doesn't seem to be a perfect fix.
The first of the shots aimed using the latter method was quite a bit too far to the right, but the others were only slightly right of target. I think the ideal point a target should be is like... slightly to the right of that upper left corner, rather than squarely on it.

There's obviously some amount of random deviation, though, so it's hard to say for sure.

Oh wait I thought I recognized your name! I've been a big fan of your DRG systems crunching in the past so I'm excited to see you here too :D I wanna like the AMR but that sight really needs to get fixed.

novaSphere fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Mar 21, 2024

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Exosuits still kill themselves with rockets sometimes :(

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

It's 10 Autocannon shots per shroom iirc

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Both are great for bug holes and in general. The Autocannon has better range, accuracy, and a ton of ammo while the GL has bigger splash, doesn't need a backpack, and can reload on the move. The Autocannon also has a much easier time with Spore and Shrieker towers - the latter of which the GL can't even damage due to armor.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

It's never always one-shot Bile Titans, just sometimes if you hit their head. Either way it softens them up real nice though, so a followup hit from a rocket or 500k usually seals the deal (and vice-versa)

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

The upshots of the Railcannon are that it's big, safe, and nearly guaranteed damage and ignores complex strategem or scatter bullshit, which isn't nothing. It even targets Shrieker nests!

I find it pairs nicely with 500kg to supplement EATs or RRs for dealing with BTs and the occasional Charger in 7s and 8s.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

lay down smokes first, then run from your problems

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

I'm glad ammo pickups finally give one Spear back but now it feels silly that they're more efficient than resupplies. Resupplies really ought to give two Spears back. For that matter, I know someone mentioned it earlier up-thread but I'm really hoping for an ammo consistency pass for support weapons. I dislike how the default MG-42 only gets 1 magazine back from a resupply but the Stalwart and Grenade launcher get topped up, or how the AMR only gets 1 mag per ammo pickup because the devs decided to round down on everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Mines are a spectacular trolling tool and should only ever be placed in front of evac bunkers and objective terminals