Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

i've had a few weird bugs recently (only been playing for 1-2 weeks)

1. me and another group of 3 complete a mission. we go through the normal stats thing at the end.. except during the cutscene of the eagle flying back to the ship it said i failed to extract and gave me a mission failed screen. it looks like i kept my experience though.

2. i'll sometimes get stuck behind the row of pods when i go onto another persons ship and i can't leave until they start the mission.

also is there anyway to see what the mission is if you join late? i'll join a game where all 3 other people are already on the ground but i don't know what the mission is so i just go with my default loadout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

couple questions:
1. what level is doing challenging missions viable? i'm almost at 20 so i should be able to do them with teams right?
2. i haven't bought any of the weapons that look like you need another teammate to help load/fire like recoiless rifle... do those weapons actually need 2 people?

WoodrowSkillson posted:

in the equipment select screen you can tab back to the mission info. on a PS5 you hit L1.

yeah to be clear i can do this when i jump into a mission that's just starting but anything "in progress" its no longer available to view.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

explosivo posted:

You should be good for challenging, yeah. RR/AC users can reload using their own backpack and in most cases is actually far easier to do this since you don't have to have someone chasing you around everywhere. The description definitely doesn't make it sound like this is possible but it is.

thanks ill try some of this tonight

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Are the PC and PS5 mechanics really different? I tried PC for the first time and I couldn't run with the map overlaid, seemed like the only way to go prone was to dive, since I couldn't do it with crouch.

Also I'm sure people have already complained about this but I wish there was some way to not have beginning-ish players in Challenge+ without gating it somehow. We had a 4 squad with a level 12 player and while he didn't do anything dumb like throw grenades at my feet, halfway to the extraction point I told the team we had missed a bug hole on the otherside of the map (they were half way from it, but I was closer) so 2 of the players went back to help me. I eventually died to a charger and the guy ends up throwing a reinforcement strategem... at the extraction point. The whole time the rest of the team was trying to rid the last bug hole he instead went to the extraction point to wait for us and then reinforced me and made me go all the way back while he just waited there the 5 minutes or so it took for us to fight our way over and back. I dunno maybe not a newbie-ish thing since its not like he called for extraction but kinda makes the map more difficult to run

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

darnon posted:

You can run and open the map, but if you have Sprint as Hold then the resultant Shift + Tab by default is Steam's overlay command. And 'Z' is prone, separate from crouch.

deep dish peat moss posted:

You can run with the map open by changing sprint to a toggle instead of press & hold, and you can go prone by pressing Z.

IMO it sounds like the newbie who reinforced to extraction while the rest of the team was running to the opposite side of the map for a bug hole was the only one making smart decisions :shobon:
ah okay so it isn't the same off the bat. thanks!

also, can't let those bugs live. he was a coward :colbert:

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

wheres the farming post?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

im about to sleep so someone can probably correct me but gatling continuously fires even as it retargets and thus uses up more ammunition before being stopped.

machine gun turret will wait until its lined up with its target before blasting you from behind.

generally gatling is probably better

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

🔹 Shriekers hitting you while they are dead now does significantly less damage.

lol this was basically an instant kill if they landed on you. so yes, hopefully significantly less damage.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

probably the most annoyed ive been yet. played a challenging, had a level 7, 2 level 30+.. they are all speaking german so i assume they're a group. they run for the evac zone but i see that one of the blue objectives, destroying the rogue building was still up but on the otherside of the map. i ran to that while they ran for the evac zone. i get there and the objective is bugged so i start running back to the evac zone. as the shuttle lands the level 7 guy just immediately gets on and i'm well outside of the 20 seconds or whatever it is.. they're also all speaking german i guess but i guess germans just leave people behind??? do you lose the samples if you dont evac out?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

to be clear i had the samples, and they already cleared the extraction zone.. or at least they weren't in any immediate danger since i was within sight of the pelican.

LazyMaybe posted:

kind of a wack thing to say. also when your team is all running for extract, going in the opposite direction towards an optional objective on the other side of the map is basically just wasting everyone else's time. like either they give in to your implicit demand and turn around to go with you, or they just sit at extract twiddling their thumbs waiting for you to complete that side objective and then run back across the map to them

im sure the lack of ability to communicate did not have any effect.

also what exactly is the wack part? is there a stereotype that germans leave people behind? because if so, i mean, dang this didn't help their case!

edit: also how is not completing a blue objective worth it?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

space uncle posted:

You will quickly reach a point where XP and Requisition are completely meaningless, and blue objectives only slightly increase that. Samples take much longer to acquire.

It’s lovely that they ditched if you had a ton of samples.

But I also don’t like it when people are dicking around doing “Escape Pod” 500m away while I’m trying to extract.
okay that's good to know. i figured there was plenty of time so why not go for it.

to be clear we all started on the red dot and the extraction is orange, the objective i went to get was blue. by the time they got to the extraction point and called in the pelican i was already running there. they would have had to wait about 10 seconds for me to run over to get into the pelican.

anyways. it was more annoying right after the game then it is to me now.

Lobok posted:

I like to think the lack of communication went like this:

Helldiver pings a sub objective, runs off.
German players keep saying "nein, nein" on comms and keep spamming the very English "Negative!" on the dialogue wheel.

Helldiver keeps running, does shocked face watching them take off in Pelican 1.
they did say some german, but no "neins" to me.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

okay so just had one of my more fun experiences played Hard with a level 30+ and a level 11. its the mission ending with launching a nuke. we were clearing everything out when the level 30+ guy suddenly dropped in the middle of antagonizing a bunch of nests so the level 11 guy and i spent the rest of the round running for our lives completing the objectives. we ran out of time so we had to fend off the 3-4 huge waves of bugs as we waited for the emergency shuttle to land.

i'm sure stories like this are common but man its so fun

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

lol just had another incident...

5 minute countdown starts, two of our squad just run back without saying anything and immediately call for evac. okay. that's fine we probably can't get all of them in time. so me and other guy start working our way back from the bug tunnels _all_ of us were previously doing.. but there's only a tiny sliver of land back to the evac zone and now it's filled with bugs so we're clearing it out.. it takes us a while because two of them are just sitting on the evac zone within range

but as soon as the shuttle arrives, a level 27 dude immediately gets on the shuttle as we're trying to run and we can't make it.. other dude w/me had all my samples i collected that he picked up after i died. a bunch of reg and rare samples.

what in the gently caress, honestly. can't tell me someone level 27 doesn't know not to get into a shuttle and again he was the lowest level so no way they we're being overrun on a challenge level map.

edit: autocannon is great but apparently the sec gun bullet bounces off chargebacks but the turret autocannon's shells pierce the chargebacks.. :|

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

also helldivers.io is really cool... does anyone know if they written about how they're getting the data? i assume they're like screenscrapping their game on steam or something but i think you need to hover over the planets to get the data, right?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Legit Businessman posted:

They have access to the API. There's no loving way in hell they are manually scraping the data.

Sindai posted:

Yeah there's an official but undocumented API for the data. If you search there's a couple of open source libraries for accessing it.
Great. Found some stuff. Seems like it is from the actual company but not officially supported..

https://api.live.prod.thehelldiversgame.com/api/WarSeason/801/WarInfo

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

okay so what's the deal with not choosing boosters at random (it's not someone else taking it and doesn't seem to be dependent on if you're start at the beginning or middle)

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

RC Cola posted:

Thank you for saying this. I have been hearing too many unsubstantiated rumors. Things about a message sent to outside the galaxy. A counter invasion of their homework. Nonsense. Do not believe these unthinking machine's lies.

gently caress up their homework dawg, get them an F

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

some dude kicked me out of the game just as i was landing on top of a charger :mad:

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Speaking of MGs, on PS5 whenever you dive/crouch/prone and you hold a machine gun it seems to switch your weapon. So if I was holding the MG and I go prone it always switches me over to my primary. I haven't used one since the last patch but did they ever address or fix this?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

BitBasher posted:

\
What? I'm on PS5 and the game has never done this. Have you remapped controls in some way? I've never heard of this before now and most of my friends are on PS5.

just tried. took the HMG and went prone. switched me to my primary. haven't changed any controls afaik

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

BitBasher posted:

Maybe try resetting controls to default? I go prone all the time and it's never changed me weapons at all. Maybe accidentally hitting a second button with your thumb when double tapping the prone button?

I've never heard anyone on Reddit or here mention it before, either.

EDIT: I just checked, they don't even share a button in any way on the default keybindings. Crouch and dive are on single or double tap circle and change weapons is either tapping or holding Triangle.

yo what the hell. my primary weapon was binded to circle. geez i just thought it was some weird quirk :|

thanks!

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

yeah autocannon sentry is good. but if its too close they'll go after it.

also quasar not as fun to hit a charger with because if you miss a soft area you're kinda boned for a little bit. the autocannon gun at least gets more chances to hit something non-armored.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Roach Warehouse posted:

After shelving the orbital gas for the bot war, I brought it back out against L7 bugs last night, and am pleased to report this thing still rules.

I’m talking 30+ kills when placed on a breach and really softening up anything too large to die from it.

does it show you the kills? i just tried it and right on top of a breach ... felt like it was pretty weak

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I think gas might be bugged in exactly the same way as fire damage over time. Ie, if you aren't the host it doesn't hurt them properly.

As for the kill count, you get a skull with a number, it looks like this:

yeah i was landing direct hits over a breach with 0 kills and it looked like the gas dissipated real quick

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

i accidentally picked spear instead of grenade launcher and i'm only able to hold one spear since i also brought down a guard dog.

anyways my teammate is running from a charger, i line up the spear and get him. i'm about to summon another spear down when i turn around and another charger is there looking at me.. it starts to charge and i'm trying to throw down the call down beacon and i juke the wrong way against the charger and it runs over me right into a rock.

apparently the guard dog did just enough damage to finish it off and it died right on top of me and i ended up getting stuck. my teammate killed me but then i realized all my samples were also stuck underneath the carcass. so we just had to wait it out.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

helldivers is actually a very elaborate cryptocurrency rugpull.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

I don't like the Quasar against Chargers since it seems like if you don't hit its butt or that vulnerable part of his head/mouth(?) it'll just bounce off. Does it do better against Bile Titans or will it bounce off them as well if you hit armor?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

so there seems to be a new bug where my cape isn't attached to me when you land and it shows all the player stats..

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

i feel like the automatons are more difficult to deal with than the bugs... everyone keeps talking about the quasar one shoting things.. but i'm shooting dropships and nothing seems to happen... i also thought i could take down fabricators.. i'm shooting it right at the vent and it doesn't go down... am i doing something wrong?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

the eruptor is so strong im using the grenade launcher just for crowd control rather than hitting grouped light armor units.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

squat victory pose has at least 7 variations.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Helldivers/comments/1c1gzum/psa_squat_victory_pose_has_at_least_5_variations/
https://packaged-media.redd.it/mo33...e2eee72ba9b#t=0

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

can i please play some hard missions where the pubs i'm playing with are above level 10?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

is there anyway to tell if the nests for the bug flyers, the ones that look like mushrooms.. is there a way to tell if you can destroy it via a weapon or if you need to hellbomb it? or can you destroy any of their nests with the right weapons?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

luckily i was only chilling out on a hard map but god drat these crashes are incredibly frustrating.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

also yeah i thought it only took a few shots for the AC to knock it down so when they didn't go down i thought there were two types. i ended up telling people to stop shooting cause they can't knock them down without hellbombing them. lmao. i'm dumb :(

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Been slowly grinding up levels to where I'm now playing 7s and it doesn't seem too hectic. One of the bonuses is you no longer get a bunch of single digit level players. I do kinda wish anyone <20 is restricted from 6/7s.

I've been playing more of a support role. I'll hang back away from the current target and call out heavies or patrols and also bring down the AC turret / gatling turret. basically put myself in a enfilade position to fire against their flank and so the bugs can't concentrate all into one area. i'm also far enough away where heavies can't really deal with me since i'm just far enough away to kill them if they try to charge me. Since I've been doing 7s this hasn't been as easy since there sometimes will be multiple heavies.

i generally do something like AC support weapon, AC turret, Orbital Laser. Depending on others' loadout and the level I'll either bring in a eagle 500KG, gatling turret, or eagle airstrike. I've mostly been bringing both AC and gatling turret on 6s, so that I can deal with both heavies and swarms but it occasionally doesn't work out since gatlings will target heavies. much better with the green/yellow spewers. I'll replace the gatling with a eagle 500kg on 7s

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

wait did they reset menkent to 0%? wtf

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

my preferred bug loadout is now eruptor, arc thrower, dagger, stun grenades, laser dog, and EATS

its an insane loadout that lets you kill anything the bugs can throw at you and keeps you from ever running out of ammo. one of the first times using it, i got over 800 kills

i know some ppl will recommend taking a quasar instead of the arc + EATs but that will severely limit your ability to clear hordes while making you slightly better at fighting chargers and titans. ime, the eruptor and arc thrower can still damage and put pressure on those hard targets if EATs are on cooldown

played with this loadout and switched between ac turret, gatling turret and orbital laser as my last strategem. (edit: also used the submachine pistol rather than the dagger due to the spinup time)

this setup is pretty good. only thing i will say is when you're playing at 7+ and the game gives the bugs that huge wave of creatures this setup is weaker than the grenade launcher. when there aren't as many bugs, the arc controls the heavier creatures (and also the weaker ones that group up with them) while the laser dog sweeps the weaker bugs. however if the laser dog gets overwhelmed its much easier for the hunters to leap or attack from behind. with a grenade launcher its way easier to get rid of the weaker grouped bugs. arc is just too slow against the mass wave.

i still really like this setup since it lets you lone wolf a little better without having to worry about stealing a resupply wave.

and obviously this all depends on what your teammates have as well but personally for me the setup is good but weak against waves of heavies or waves of smaller bugs.

that is what i love about this game. there is no "perfect" setup that covers everything they throw at you. there will always be a enemy type or amount that will be difficult for your loadout to handle short of running really far away.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

man this game sometimes... spend 30-35 minutes in a game and have it crash as your finishing up your subtasks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

new items in the super store as well. its late here so im not turning on my ps5