Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

glad someone made a thread. looking forward to this game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

but will it have synchronized cape twirling?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

credburn posted:

I don't like the way this looks.

Good to know! :thumbsup:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

lmao

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I've seen at least one clip of someone clumsily crouchwalking underneath the aiming threshold trying not to get domed. Looking forward to many accidents!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

preordered.

gaming guarantees goontizenship.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

game just pre-loaded on PS5

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Gamerofthegame posted:

I'm kind of surprised they kept DDRing in powers over a radial menu or something.

I know, it owns.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

FrickenMoron posted:

Any chance this is gonna scratch my itch for EDF? I'm definitely interested in how crazy the enemy amounts can get.

It's def gonna be sweatier than EDF, I think, major focus on tactics, communication, and difficulty (if the first game was anything to go by. Helldvers was renowned from day 1 for being excruciatingly hard)

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Captain Beans posted:

no vehicles, especially the mech suit, on release makes me sad. they added a lot of variety

Wasn't all that stuff added gradually to the first game?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

JBP posted:

Can't wait to accidentally shoot my gamer buds in the back of the head and yell "you're blocking my shots" into the mic

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

i'll let y'all know in 6 hours

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

yeah but what else is new

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Popete posted:

Why do the devs have to be located in Sweden making the release time 3AM for me?

They hate you, op. They hate everything you stand for. They hate your freedom.

Just like the bugs.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

TescoBag posted:

I hear this game is riddled with bugs and overrun by bots

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

orbital drop in 4 minutes

edit; plus the 2 gig patch :blastu:

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Feb 8, 2024

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Killed by Gatling Sentry

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Qmass posted:

off to a good start, game crashed first time trying to change armor...

Did the same for me lol.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

also i'm hearing that child eviscerations are at an all time high

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Fix posted:

Finished my first dive post-training. It was solo. There were some not subtle graphical bugs in that mission, and I immediately burned through 4/5 lives while getting a handle on the aiming and the rate of fire of the rifle, then spent ten minutes sprinting headlong through a huge nest and barely coming out the other side with a successful extraction (losing the loot I had on life 5/5) by the tip of my fingers! Would play again.

im on ur bridge saluting ur doods

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Okay, so first off game rules. Second, the feel of Helldivers has successfully been translated from isometric to 3rd person, it plays the same...but different. It's very tightly tuned. In exchange for enemies that move somewhat slower than the first game they tend to bob and weave in cleaver ways and go for flanks rather than just surprising you from offscreen, they also react appropriately to being shot in various ways so kills feel dynamic and have a fair bit of unpredictability. The controls and movement are complex and don't hold your hand, and everything feels like that proper mix of arcade + manual input that the first game invented. Finally, the menu design is superb, snappy, and easy to read.

I'm really impressed.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

omg chael crash posted:

My first death is this game was to my own flamethrower

I think I also may have lit you on fire :ohdear:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

It is indeed very easy to get surrounded if you lose focus and dawdle a bit. There's just a poo poo ton happening at any given time.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Also the warbonds system is cool.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

This game is so good. The pick up and play aspect of just being able to drop into a friend's game mid-match remains so seamless and awesome.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

bandaid.friend posted:

YOU CAN HELP!!! The instant minefield stratagem is only 1500 points

some bitch deployed this behind us on a defense and killed the whole team. and then i got drop-podded at the evac, and nobody picked up the 10 samples i was carrying.

also, nobody will equip up the recoilless rifle i provide, i'm waiting to reload you! we could kill all those big bugs easy! :colbert:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

The controller integration is so good. They have customizable hotkey bindings for tap/press/doubletap/hold which means extreme flexibility if you can remember where you put everything. Also, the haptics are amazing, even the adaptive trigger integration is good, a rare things imo. Love that feel of the trigger goiung limp when a grenade leaves your hand.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I went with Elected Representative of Individual Merit for max wordlength

yup, same

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Playing with pubbies is fail. Get some goon friends.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

GruntyThrst posted:

I have 10 hours played and have collected a grand total of… 40 super credits. They need to increase the frequency on those a LOT.

You aren't looking hard enough. I have 610 in 8 hours played and only half of that is from the warbond. Super Credits are hidden all over.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

VanillaGorilla posted:

if their new thing is going to be forcing all their first party studios to do GAAS/online games.

It's not. And they don't own Arrowhead.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Revitalized posted:

I love that the PC release has the dualsense haptics properly integrated. It's one of my favorite things about playing games on the PS5.

The haptics are amazing, but after a long playsession and pulling the haptic trigger on the shotgun maybe several thousand times I had a shooting pain up my arm from my finger. Had to switch the aim and fire buttons back to L1/R1 like I do with every other game, so no more adaptive triggers for me. But the haptic rumble is still great.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

vogonity posted:

You probably know this, but the DualSense Edge has adjustable adaptive triggers that let you decide the button-pull distance traveled and can be changed on the fly at any time.

This game has been tough on my hands too though. I keep stretching my right hand to the left thumb stick (or some weird left hand claw grip) to be able to run away from bugs and queue up a Stratagem at the same. I keep telling myself not to, but I still feel compelled to revive my teammates in a hurry. It’s the least I can do after I -accidentally- blew them all to pieces.

Yeah, I think it's just a matter of repeat trigger pulls, plus reactive triggers doing weird things, plus the extra strain of holding down paddles with my middle fingers (I have them assigned to run) while pulling triggers. The strain and angle is just way less egregious for me in shooters if I set aim/fire to L1/R1, probably because my hands are smaller. But it means I often don't get to fully engage with the cool trigger haptic features. Anyways, I've never been a big fan of triggers on controllers anyways, so even with the option of adjusting the pull distance it's often just better for me to assign them to some side feature like a grenade toss or a navigational ping.

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

Finally spent some time with this game tonight and I absolutely love it. The difficulty seems insane though, it’s 50/50 if I can extract from an easy mission. All it takes is one or two swipes from a big bug and I’m dead.

Am I missing some defensive mechanic, or is diving to the ground your only recourse?

There is a melee attack, but, lol

Better to dive, stim, and then get up and sprint away

Diephoon posted:

After reading about people missing loot containers I thought this thing might be one of them, but it was in fact a bomb

https://i.imgur.com/cwEe5j2.mp4

lmao

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

vogonity posted:

How are you assigning the paddles to run? DualSense Edge or some other controller?

Yeah, Edge.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

1stGear posted:

Feels like Challenging is the limit of a what an uncoordinated group can manage to full clear the map and Hard is the limit for just doing objectives and bailing. My Super Destroyer for a pubbie who understands that just because we can see the bugs does not mean we have to engage them.

:same: to all of this

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

round up of known issues

https://arrowhead.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/12573380356508-Known-issues

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

If I don't have a friend or an armor piercing strat I usually just go shotgun against the legs of the big bugs. Conversely, shotty does way less full frontal damage to atomatons and I have to rely on the machine gun far more which tbf does a good job of melting them.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

Between stamina rapidly falling, randomly getting hit in a limb that, despite being at 60% health, means I can’t move, tiny gun magazines and long rear end reloads it feels like this game hasn’t been tuned at all for offline play. Really bums me out.

It's an online-only game, homes.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

lol game is way more unstable on PS5 since the new update. lot's of network errors and crashes as opposed to launch day. friends list not loading properly, issues with initial log in, etc

seems like the devs are putting out some fires atm, i wish them luck because this game rules when it's not loving up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Diephoon posted:

One big adjustment I had to make: Bots place their own mines around their outposts and sometimes whole minefields. Don't walk into em while staring at your radar like I did.

cursed on the grey planet with red grass :argh: