Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Smugworth posted:

this av is not amusing

you look amused, however. greatly so, in fact

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Why am I laughing then?

Because you are a bad person

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

if u aren't listening to "podcasts" on an actual ipod then ur a loser. its literally named podcast not phonecast.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Smugworth posted:

Because you are a bad person

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

I don't know what's going on but it's geting funnier.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Grey Cat posted:

I don't know what's going on but it's geting funnier.

Bad cat

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
China History Podcast: pretty fun listen, gets into the weeds of history, single host so minimal tangents. Host is what you’d probably call a china watcher so he sometimes ropes in stories about when he was at X Y Z place he’s talking about.

Just the Zoo Of Us: a “warm chicken soup” podcast about animals, with expert/researcher guests onboard. Very cozy, informative, sometimes cute.

Accidental Tech Podcast: Apple nerd podcast. Fun listen if you like being up to date on bleeding edge Apple. Tangent prone due to 3 hosts. On the plus side, they use chapters liberally and organize things well so you can skip right to the part where they talk about the new AirPods for 10 minutes then dip after.

Well There’s Your Problem: an engineering disasters podcast with slides, hosted on YouTube. Everyone has strong opinions about this, I don’t bother recommending it to people, but it satisfies my desire for learning and bad jokes. Like carrots mixed with ketchup, a delightful but acquired taste

buglord fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jan 19, 2024

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Sasquatch Chronicles: Over 1000 episodes of yokels telling about their encounters with Bigfoot.

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.

syntaxfunction posted:

I don't even like her stuff but don't say this poo poo.

On topic, podcasts are bad, and it isn't surprising when they turn off automatic poo poo turns out a lot less people actually give a poo poo.

I was actually not aware this word had transitioned to full slur. Alice is a transwoman who is also a goon, and the origination of that word literally came from this forum as a way for trans goons to identify themselves, iirc. I genuinely didn't know it had made its way out into the wider world as a slur, lol.

Anyway, Alice is actually one of the funnier hosts on the show and its probably because she grew up in Scotland and may have actually encountered actual poor people once or twice before unlike the rest of them who literally scoff about their esoteric tastes in wine and food. Its funny they made a song which featured 'Islington Leftists' as king of an insult when they're absolutely a squad of annoying Islington Leftists.

At least the Brooklyn Leftist Podcast scene (i.e. all leftist podcasts which are actually worth listening too, all of whom are also goons), don't expose an obvious upper-crust affect(except for Liz who is working hard to rehabilitate her vocal fry, god bless her), hell Matt Christmas (RIP to a real one), is an honest to god Minnesota drunkard.

Ape Fist fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 19, 2024

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

just a reminder for folks: do not, under any circumstances, listen to a podcast

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Bad Purchase posted:

just a reminder for folks: do not, under any circumstances, listen to a podcast

yup. mods, can we put this in the op to protect vulnerable folks at risk of listening to a podcast? thread is a bit yikes without a warning about the dangers of being a podcast listener :thanks:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ape Fist posted:

I was actually not aware this word had transitioned to full slur. Alice is a transwoman who is also a goon, and the origination of that word literally came from this forum as a way for trans goons to identify themselves, iirc. I genuinely didn't know it had made its way out into the wider world as a slur, lol.

It definitely hasn't become a slur in the wider world. I think it just started getting used in a derogatory way here. Possible during the whole fyad vs GRS/TMR thing? And probably trans people on the forums here got tired of it.

Anyways I also listen to WTYP and am like 99% sure Alice has called herself this several times, so Ape Fist didn't mean anything bad by it.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

yup. mods, can we put this in the op to protect vulnerable folks at risk of listening to a podcast? thread is a bit yikes without a warning about the dangers of being a podcast listener :thanks:

done

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

if it saves even one download it’s worth it, thank you for caring

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

also, good job on slur chat everybody. possibly the first time that hasn’t turned into a complete disaster? goons are growing as people, somehow

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Age of Napoleon is good just listen to that

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.

Klyith posted:

It definitely hasn't become a slur in the wider world. I think it just started getting used in a derogatory way here. Possible during the whole fyad vs GRS/TMR thing? And probably trans people on the forums here got tired of it.

Anyways I also listen to WTYP and am like 99% sure Alice has called herself this several times, so Ape Fist didn't mean anything bad by it.

Its fine, I ate a 6 hour probe over it but I think the mod probably knew I wasn't using it in that frame of reference but you've gotta be safe. WTYP is actually a REALLY GOOD podcast I should listen to it more often.

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

TheHoosier posted:

Age of Napoleon is good just listen to that

Been meaning too, tbh

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

one of the dangers is becoming a slimy goon who buys people embarrassing avatars

codswallop
Dec 26, 2012

BABIES EVERYWHERE!

You can listen to a 2 hour youtube video essay about the rise and fall of the McElroy family (brought about by this brother) Here

And don't say you won't listen to something that long, I know you're all here because you like your rambling 3 hour podcast episodes.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

codswallop posted:

You can listen to a 2 hour youtube video essay about the rise and fall of the McElroy family (brought about by this brother) Here

And don't say you won't listen to something that long, I know you're all here because you like your rambling 3 hour podcast episodes.

thanks for sharing. i won't be doing that :thanks:

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I might but that does seem awfully long

codswallop
Dec 26, 2012

BABIES EVERYWHERE!

Smugworth posted:

I might but that does seem awfully long

Stop pointing that out, you're making me sound like a loser

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Klyith posted:

I've been called it many times in other places, it most definitely has become a slur in the wider world and especially from 4chan style Qanon fucks. To the point that when I and others I know see it they assume right wing nutjob, not some Something Awful in joke.

Again, I've had it levied against myself and others, in many places, it's not nice. Just don't use it.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

What's a mc elroy?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

codswallop posted:

My god, I tried reading the transcript and it just keeps going on and on and on about nothing anyone should ever care about.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

McGavin posted:

My god, I tried reading the transcript and it just keeps going on and on and on about nothing anyone should ever care about.

but enough about ur posts

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023

buglord posted:

Well There’s Your Problem: an engineering disasters podcast with slides, hosted on YouTube.

Maybe I'm getting old but I don't think that's a podcast, you just watching a YouTube channel

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Thesaurus posted:

What's a mc elroy?

Not much what's a mc Elroy with you

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

It's actually IncElroy. The In just looks like an M due to font choice and bad kerning.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
My favorite podcasts are the leftest ones which are always done by middle-class white people who clearly know what is wrong with the world and how to fix it through nonstop irony that's always funny and never goes overboard into cringeworthy. Make sure to donate to our patreon so we can tour the country on your dime and do some completely necessary live shows! Lol isn't that funny we're just like capitalists, we just want number to go up! Haha, how ironic, no but seriously keep giving us your money our patreon hasn't been growing enough.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Szechwan posted:

Maybe I'm getting old but I don't think that's a podcast, you just watching a YouTube channel

YouTube podcasts are loving baffling. When someone tells me about a podcast and they send me to a YouTube channel... for an audio medium... what the christ no.

And even worse, sometimes the YouTube podcasts have like, random videos playing that actually have nothing at all to do with the content?

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
pobcats..........

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Podcasts own and are perfect for jobs that involve actual labor since I can absorb new ideas and information and laugh while doing boring poo poo like sanding and painting walls. Sorry computer touchers podcasts own.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

MoonshineWilly posted:

You can safely skip the first 20 or so podcasts in a series because the host is recording in their bathroom with their phone and 90% of what they say is indecipherable. Then you can listen to, at most, 10 episodes where they bought decent equipment but don’t have obnoxious ads. Then they go deep into debt from their $5,000 microphone purchase and have to join a podcast network and hawk Balldos. Use Promocode OWMYBALLS2024 for a 5% discount!

this code isn't working, you sure it's the right one?

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

As a long time podcast listener, live podcasts are like the worst unnecessary poo poo in the world

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Smugworth posted:

As a long time podcast listener, live podcasts are like the worst unnecessary poo poo in the world

The No Such Thing as a Fish live podcasts are pretty good. In that they're almost identical to the non-live episodes.

Oh, but --- unnecessary, yeah I see what you mean.

I once drove a distance to see a live We Hate Movies podcast recording. Walked away thinking, that was neat but kind of pointless. I didn't hang out with them or anything. They didn't invite me on stage. My girlfriend thought one of them was real cute* (obv ex girlfriend now)

* you know which one :rolleyes:

credburn fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jan 20, 2024

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Smugworth posted:

It took me a while to find a post you made that wasn't in the friday thread.

Dude, I hate your new avatar.

I wanna swing at it with a baseball bat. If I did I don't think there would be blood and teeth flying everywhere - it would be circuitry, sparks and wiring.

The gently caress is that uncanny valley poo poo. It looks like it ate your old party haircut av. It wants to loving eat me too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Killing Jelq
Jun 13, 2012

credburn posted:

The No Such Thing as a Fish live podcasts are pretty good. In that they're almost identical to the non-live episodes.

Oh, but --- unnecessary, yeah I see what you mean.

I once drove a distance to see a live We Hate Movies podcast recording. Walked away thinking, that was neat but kind of pointless. I didn't hang out with them or anything. They didn't invite me on stage. My girlfriend thought one of them was real cute* (obv ex girlfriend now)

* you know which one :rolleyes:

*Chris Cabin